• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

kaioshade

Any idea why i cannot seem to get my friends proficard? I have gotten 3 streetpass notifications that i received her card, but when i go to streetpass on the game, it tells me i have not unlocked any proficards. it is very strange indeed.

Tried clearing out extra data on my sd card, and disabling and reenabling streetpass functionality on the card.

Borman

So would anyone be interested in me doing direct feed video of this game? I just got my modded 3ds back, and it looks great!

00000.png

I'm starting the slow process of filling up Critical Charts (not as bad as I would have thought), but it's making me hate the event stages even more than I already did.

rpmurphy

I'm starting the slow process of filling up Critical Charts (not as bad as I would have thought), but it's making me hate the event stages even more than I already did.

I feel you, having just finished all that a couple days ago. What a pain some of those were, especially those that changed in tempo.

mandiller

So would anyone be interested in me doing direct feed video of this game? I just got my modded 3ds back, and it looks great!

00000.png

That's very cool. The video looks great too. I'm sure a lot of video game news websites that have way of directly filming the 3DS will be interested in this mod.

I feel you, having just finished all that a couple days ago. What a pain some of those were, especially those that changed in tempo.
For me it's mostly that most of the songs are slower and/or lacking a strong beat OR melody, which makes it infuriatingly difficult to "feel" out when to tap notes, which is even further exasperated by the irritatingly erratic movement of the gauge circle. I can't even think what they were trying to do with these stages. Seeing that Chaos Shrine and all of DLC is field and battle stages, Square-Enix seemingly didn't either. I can only surmise that they needed to shove their dumb FMVs into the game somehow, to remind us all of what ruined Final Fantasy.

Oops, that rant took a bad turn at the end, sorry about that. :)

rpmurphy

For me it's mostly that most of the songs are slower and/or lacking a strong beat OR melody, which makes it infuriatingly difficult to "feel" out when to tap notes, which is even further exasperated by the irritatingly erratic movement of the gauge circle. I can't even think what they were trying to do with these stages. Seeing that Chaos Shrine and all of DLC is field and battle stages, Square-Enix seemingly didn't either. I can only surmise that they needed to shove their dumb FMVs into the game somehow, to remind us all of what ruined Final Fantasy.

Oops, that rant took a bad turn at the end, sorry about that. :)
Oh yeah, some of the songs switch to the backbeat at times which makes it a bit of a trial and error. I didn't like either how in some songs, the circle gauge changed pace for no reason at all. And then there's one song where oncoming notes kinda overlapped... it took me several tries before figuring out the beat I was omitting (didn't know about the demo play).

This week's U.S. DLC is up:

"Sunken Shrine" (FF I FMS)
"The Castle" (FF VIII FMS)
"The Battle for Freedom" (FF XII BMS)
"We Have Arrived" (FF Type-0 BMS)

I expect that "The Castle" will be gloriously fun since that song is so excellent. :)

Downloaded

Just one more week left. I hope I can get one more Locke card before I finish the final DLC songs so I can finally retire from the game

Famassu

I can only surmise that they needed to shove their dumb FMVs into the game somehow, to remind us all of what ruined Final Fantasy.
FF has always been about three things: storyline, exploration and battles, and Theatrhythm's division to three separate kind of songs reflects that.

And lulz, FMVs didn't ruin the series, that's just stupid. There were several great FFs after they started having FMVs.

Finally got this game. I've cleared FF I-VII and XIII, got over 5,000 Rhythmia so far. I also downloaded:

FFI: Sunken Shrine
FFIV: Battle 2
FFIV: The Final Battle
FFVI: Battle
FFXIII: Fighting Fate

Now that I've looked through this thread, I should've gotten FFIX's Final Battle too. Any other recommendations?

Downloaded

Just one more week left. I hope I can get one more Locke card before I finish the final DLC songs so I can finally retire from the game
Dang, are we really at the end of the DLC? It doesn't seem like there's been that mu-

*looks at list of downloaded songs*

Welp, I've spent more on Theatrhythm DLC than I did on the game itself.

I got this game on September 1st and it's rarely left my 3DS (Super Mario 3D Land sometimes wiggles its way in.)

Just got the trophy for S rank on all Ultimate scores, so I'm feeling pretty accomplished. But Battle With The Four Fiends and Let the Battles Begin! were ridiculous as holy hell. I would by no means say I'm great with rhythm games but I'm pretty good...but those two were a crazy challenge. I don't see myself ever getting the trophy to perfect chain all ultimates. I'll give it a try, of course, but I'm guessing that'll never happen.

Thoraxes

Guys.

Something cracked in my brain, and I can now magically at least FINISH every song on Ultimate.

I don't know what happened.

Roubjon

Guys.

Something cracked in my brain, and I can now magically at least FINISH every song on Ultimate.

I don't know what happened.

The magic of rhythm games. One day you wake up and everything is easier, I love it.

I finally got to play the demo for this and I'm looking forward to buying it when I get a 3DS myself someday. Man with the Machine gun on Ultimate was crazy fun and the controls for the game itself are really intuitive, which makes it easy to translate my rhythm game skillz from other games into this one.

I'm thankful for all the FFXI DLC, initially I wasn't expecting to get that much love but its been deservingly respected (game has such fantastic music!)

FF has always been about three things: storyline, exploration and battles, and Theatrhythm's division to three separate kind of songs reflects that.
I understand that, but it doesn't make the event stages any less terrible.

The event music that plays as field or battle stages in Chaos Shrine works much, much, much, much, much better.

And lulz, FMVs didn't ruin the series, that's just stupid. There were several great FFs after they started having FMVs.
Only one by my count, but opinions and all. To be fair, I have not played XI, XII (beyond the demo) or XIII. I am confident that I am not missing out.

Also, "lulz?" Really?

Roto13

EMS is terrible and most Final Fantasy games with (or without) FMVs are awesome.

Also awesome: That Type-0 DLC song. Holy shit, that's intense.

EDIT: Stoic was a bad idea to begin with. EMS' real problem is that the cursor changes speeds all the time. That's like the highway in Rock Band randomly speeding up and slowing down. I was going to fill up all of the critical charts but as soon as I got to an EMS I said fuck it. It was enough of a pain in the ass to SS rank them all.

Yeah, Stoic Bonus is dumb.

I can "All Critical" a song, then screw up horribly on the same song with Stoic Bonus and still get SS, destroying the "All Critical" score.

Speaking on that, I haven't tried it yet, but do you get Overall SS or SSS scores in Story Mode if you go Stoic?

Another reason to hate EMS is the fact that you can't even really enjoy the cut scenes taking place because you have to focus on the speed of the cursor so much.

I like to tell myself that the lack of EMS DLC is an indication that indies zero knew it was a crappy mode to begin with and no one would want to play any more of it than they'd already have to.

bumpkin

Man, when I got this game I kept telling myself I wasn't going to spend any money on DLC. Within two weeks' time, I've bought/downloaded four tracks. I just couldn't resist. FF has such fantastic soundtracks and the game's simplicity and charm keeps me coming back for more!

Thus far I've purchased:

FFI - Sunken Shrine
FFIV - Battle 2
FFVII - Fight On
FFX - Otherworld

So. Good.

Famassu

I understand that, but it doesn't make the event stages any less terrible.

The event music that plays as field or battle stages in Chaos Shrine works much, much, much, much, much better.
That I agree with, but I've learned to at least tolerate the EMSs. Once you get to know the songs and the rhythm changes, they get better. From what I've seen, most seem to have issues with the rhythm change and imo they aren't that bad when you learn the songs.

Only one by my count, but opinions and all. To be fair, I have not played XI, XII (beyond the demo) or XIII. I am confident that I am not missing out.
FFVII, IX, X, XI, X-2 & XII, at the very least, are all more or less great (and so is VIII except for THAT plot twist and the last disc). I don't even see how the opposite can be argued (other than "waah, waah, I want shitty FF like IV again"). And you are definitely missing out, FFXII is one of the best Final Fantasies, in the Top 3 of any FFs with Tactics & VI.

Also, "lulz?" Really?
Ridiculous posts get ridiculous internet-language.

Bururian

Man, when I got this game I kept telling myself I wasn't going to spend any money on DLC. Within two weeks' time, I've bought/downloaded four tracks. I just couldn't resist. FF has such fantastic soundtracks and the game's simplicity and charm keeps me coming back for more!

Thus far I've purchased:

FFI - Sunken Shrine
FFIV - Battle 2
FFVII - Fight On
FFX - Otherworld

So. Good.

I never buy DLC for games, but that went out the window for this game. $40 for the game, and another $48 on DLC so far, with four songs left to get.

Roto13

The fact that songs are only a dollar is great. Makes me much more likely to buy DLC. If I have a dollar or two in my account, they go to Theatrhythm DLC.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got the game, sooooo good.

I plan on getting these DLC:

- The Castle
- The Extreme
- Archlytte Steppes
- Treno
- Fleeting Dream
- Somnus

Hope these are good renditions though.

By the way. are they planning on DLC Event Music?

Neo Samus

So I downloaded the demo the other week and I got HOOKED! I've never been big into Final Fantasy games, but I love the music from the series. I loved the demo so much I ended up buying the game.....after I went to about 5 different stores to find the damn game!! Within a week I'm at around 12000RM and have downloaded 25 songs. I have never spent that much on DLC....ever. Hell, I've never really bought any DLC before this.

Does anyone know how long SE will continue making DLC for this?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wanna say that I'm kinda disappointed with their songs of choice for FFIX and FFVIII (to some extent). FFix had great tracks like Immoral Rhythm, Rose of May, and Melodies of Life. Melodies of Life would have made a much better EMS than Behind the Door. FFVIII's EMS could have been SUCCESSION OF WITCHES or Eyes on Me.

Just wanna say that I'm kinda disappointed with their songs of choice for FFIX.
Hmm, I really like the field song but I would agree they probably could have grabbed a better battle song, though I suspect that they wanted that one to show off the old-school "homage" that starts the song off. I'm not keen on the battle song they choose for Chaos Shrine, but it sure is fun to play.

I promised I wouldn't buy any PlayStation-era DLC, but I might need to see what they have up there for IX.

ULTROS!

Man, this game made me appreciate the battle and field musics of the FF series. I love Battle of the Four Fiends and the Final Battle from FFIV, Searching for Friends from FFVI, and Contest of Aeons from FFX.

Hmm, I really like the field song but I would agree they probably could have grabbed a better battle song, though I suspect that they wanted that one to show off the old-school "homage" that starts the song off. I'm not keen on the battle song they choose for Chaos Shrine, but it sure is fun to play.

I promised I wouldn't buy any PlayStation-era DLC, but I might need to see what they have up there for IX.

I recommend getting the DLC. The Eternity of Darkness and The Final Battle make great BMS ones for FFIX.

Also, what are the last songs comings out? I know Matoya's Cave is one of them.

Top Bottom