• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

you guys gotta help me play this game better. i'm at @ 43k points, grinding for characters in the dark notes.

- I'm using 3 lvl 99's and alternating out a 4th to power level. is this the fastest way? i tried using 4 newbies but we couldnt beat bosses enough to make a jewel grind worth it.

- assuming that's not a horrible plan: what's the best way to go about this? in this example, cecil, cloud and zidane are 99, aeris (who im told i should level for libra?) is like 20. before, when i power-leveled rydia and vivi, i had exp hog or whatever on them for a bit, but that made no sense...maxed-out guys get no XP, right? so now i just put xp + on whoever's new. is that the best plan? i net no more than say 1500 pts this way.

- im really tired of playing the same 2 levels in dark notes, hoping for the same boss & same drop to finish unlocking characters one day. according to gamefaqs, i need to find navy (so bad!), gold, grey, black & 3 more purples. they're totally random, right? i feel like just working on the 22 or so i have unlocked, because the 6 or so up top/unfinished are very high level and i dont wanna do them like 20 times. any ideas here?
(is there a method to this, should i look for any certain levels/names for those colors?)

- finally: when do i unlock a
moogle
to use for my card? thanks guys!

As other people have already said, the best way to grind for EXP is to luck out and get a Dark Note that includes Magic Pots as regular enemies. I was lucky enough to get one at the San Diego Comic-Con via a StreetPass tag that has a Magic Pot as both the first and third enemies in each cycle for boss #1, and that nets about 28,000 EXP each run, or 35,000 when using a Miratete's Memoirs. So I teach EXP Hound to the character I want to level, and after two runs they're pretty much at level 99.

Beyond that, you'll just want to keep grinding BMS stages on Ultimate difficulty. Depending on the song you play and how many enemies you kill, you can usually get 4,000-9,000 EXP per song this way, but this obviously takes quite a bit longer than the above method. Either way, if you're using level 99 characters to kill as many enemies as possible, make sure your fourth character (the one you're leveling) knows EXP Hound so you're not splitting the EXP with the characters that don't need it.

As far as EXP Hound is concerned, the best songs I've found for getting EXP Hound Scrolls are Somnus and A Fleeting Dream (both DLC; Somnus only in the US so far) on Ultimate. I've also gotten a few on One-Winged Angel (Ultimate again).

For shard-grinding, there unfortunately is no better or quicker way than just facing the music and grinding Dark Notes that have bosses who you know drop what you need. It sucks and it can take a long time depending on your fortune, but that's just how it is. It took me playing four different Dark Notes over 15 times each to unlock my last three characters (
Kain, Sarah, and Sephiroth
).

The lower the level of the Dark Notes you can find to grind the shards you need on, the better. This is because lower-level Dark Notes also have weaker enemies and bosses, whom a properly powerful team (I used a level 99 team of Warrior of Light, Squall, Lightning, and Cloud, all maxed out for strength buffs, for shard grinding) can kill more of, increasing your chances to get the shards you need. For the lower-level stuff like Green, Yellow, Turquoise, and Orange Shards, I was often killing five or six bosses in one go, so I got those shards pretty fast. Unfortunately Navy and Black Shards only show up in Dark Notes of level 51 or above, and even a really powerful level 99 team will usually only be able to cycle enough enemies to kill one or two bosses in these Dark Notes (depending on the BMS), so those shards just take quite a bit longer to get and there really isn't much you can do about it.

Another tip for shard-grinding: intentionally fail the Feature Zone/summoning sequence in BMSes. You can do more damage in less time by just hitting every note regularly than you would do by summoning (gold "summoning notes" don't do any damage).

Finally, to address your last question, I don't remember exactly how much Rhythmia you need to unlock
the moogle
for your ProfiCard, but it's quite high -- I only got it recently and I'm at 97,000rm, so I'd say the upper 80,000s or lower 90,000s. So it's time to start grinding! ;)

IrishNinja

EXP hog works because even if you have level 99 characters, they otherwise still count for the split distribution if you aren't using the skill. I did so to raise Prishe with the rest of my party being in their 80's and it took no time to get her matched to the other's level. Remember that the more monsters you beat in a BMS (and types, including bosses), the more EXP you get.

I lucked out at Otakon and got a Dark Note with Magic Pot away the boss, so that's been my go to place for grinding...

ah, thanks...good to know! yeah, lucky you with the magic pot then, ive yet to see one...is it possible that the notes that unlock when i beat the ones i got via streetpasses might bring them, or no?

As other people have already said, the best way to grind for EXP is to luck out and get a Dark Note that includes Magic Pots as regular enemies. I was lucky enough to get one at the San Diego Comic-Con via a StreetPass tag that has a Magic Pot as both the first and third enemies in each cycle for boss #1, and that nets about 28,000 EXP each run, or 35,000 when using a Miratete's Memoirs. So I teach EXP Hound to the character I want to level, and after two runs they're pretty much at level 99.

i said goddamn
that's the ideal way right there...meantime looks like i need to get more XP hogs going, was hoping that wasnt a finite item but i guess they all are.

It took me playing four different Dark Notes over 15 times each to unlock my last three characters (
Kain, Sarah, and Sephiroth
).

yeah that's about my average...and it looks like im right on track as far as which characters i have left, too.

Unfortunately Navy and Black Shards only show up in Dark Notes of level 51 or above, and even a really powerful level 99 team will usually only be able to cycle enough enemies to kill one or two bosses in these Dark Notes (depending on the BMS), so those shards just take quite a bit longer to get and there really isn't much you can do about it.

...aaaand there it is, now i know why im not seeing any yet. thanks a lot here man, idve wasted time a the lower levels trying to get lucky forever otherwise!

Another tip for shard-grinding: intentionally fail the Feature Zone/summoning sequence in BMSes. You can do more damage in less time by just hitting every note regularly than you would do by summoning (gold "summoning notes" don't do any damage).

see id read that before but thought it was BS, then your last line explained it...damn, waste of time then!

Finally, to address your last question, I don't remember exactly how much Rhythmia you need to unlock
the moogle[/i] for your ProfiCard, but it's quite high -- I only got it recently and I'm at 97,000rm, so I'd say the upper 80,000s or lower 90,000s. So it's time to start grinding! ;)
*sigh* yeah...it's gonna be a while, then.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
WqjCb.jpg
Maybe I'm ready to move on from this Dark Note. On the other hand, I have three brand new characters that need GRINDING.

85000rm and I still haven't tackled the lvl 60 Dark Notes. I have a problem. Also the level of my party members oscillates between 60 to 65.

Gravijah

I spend the most time on Challenge mode, it's clearly meant to be the main mode.

to unlock all the characters you'll end up spending dozens of hours in the Chaos Shrine. unless you are looking to SSS everything in Challenge, it doesn't really take long to exhaust the content.

Javier

One more character unlocked,
Princess Sarah

Had to grind on the same Dark Note like 30 times, but finally got it!

IrishNinja

to unlock all the characters you'll end up spending dozens of hours in the Chaos Shrine. unless you are looking to SSS everything in Challenge, it doesn't really take long to exhaust the content.

yeah, i long to leave the fucking chaos shrine for good. 28 notes down, my remaining 6 or so ive unlocked are all lvl 90+, barely made it through an 89 last night and i cant beat any of the bosses around here in time anyway. i need
sarah, seifer, kain and sephiroth
, and i think i read here that the last 3 need to be grinded on level 80+ so....yeah. guess ill equip more offensive spells than just ominslash and boss stuff?

really eager to leave and be on larger playlists. also, i thought having libra on aerith meant seeing at least 1 item on the next dark note when unlocking it? i aint seeing shit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This is the Final Battle - FFIII
Battle Theme - FFX
The Darkness of Eternity - FFIX
The Dalmasca Eastersand - FFXII (HOLY FUCK SHIT YES I LOVE THAT SONG)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This is the first time I listen to the original rendition of the last boss music from FFIII and this is miles better than whatever the shit the Black Mages did for their third album. Also light years better than the Dissidia remix.

Suck a Moogle pom pom, Gravijah.

Oh yes. I've been waiting for this week of DLC. I love the crap out of these songs (except Dalmasca Estersand, it's just all right... I couldn't stand FF XII though)!

linko9

FFIII final boss is very enjoyable, I got Dalmasca Estersand too. Can't wait for the FFV stuff in the coming weeks.

Some assorted thoughts:

"The Darkness of Eternity" is insanely fun on Ultimate, though I'll never get used to having the music fade out right in the middle of a song. It's also just nice to have more FF IX music to play! I can't wait for next week, as FF IX's "Battle 2" is my favorite boss theme in the entire series.

I never played the NES version of FF III because I never liked the NES versions of FF I and II enough to bother checking it out, but damn if Uematsu didn't do some really magical shit with the NES's sound chip in FF III's soundtrack. FF III's music uses some really neat effects and has an incredibly distinct quality to it that I've not not heard in any other NES soundtracks. The original version of "This is the Final Battle" is worlds better than any remix of the song that I've ever heard, whether it's the Black Mages version, the Dissidia remix, or any fan remix.

"The Dalmasca Estersand" is a lot duller than I remember. It's pretty boring to play too, even on Ultimate, and it doesn't feel like it's a good fit for Theatrhythm's gameplay. Oh well, they can't all be winners!

FF X's regular battle theme is also really fun, both on Expert and Ultimate. Like with FF IX, it's also just nice to have more FF X battle music -- "Fight with Seymour" shouldn't have been the standard BMS, especially not with the crappy cut of it they used for Theatrhythm (they left out the best parts of the song, especially the intro!). I cannot wait for FF X's final battle theme in a couple weeks!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Has Movement in Green ( FFX ) been released yet?

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with the DLC lately.

Bururian

They just released one song each from FF III and FF IX today.

And the coming weeks will all have songs from FF V and FF IX.

So there you go.

First FF9 song we've seen, and yeah, they release an older one every week, but it's mostly been FFX and up songs for most of the weekly releases.

I'm just trying to say that it's really unbalanced in my opinion. (And that I want more older songs)

Has Movement in Green ( FFX ) been released yet?

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with the DLC lately.

Yes, it was released in the U.S. and Europe last week. It's pretty tough on Ultimate!

First FF9 song we've seen, and yeah, they release an older one every week, but it's mostly been FFX and up songs for most of the weekly releases.

I'm just trying to say that it's really unbalanced in my opinion. (And that I want more older songs)

You're right, the DLC releases so far have definitely been balanced in favor of FFs X-XIII. Thankfully, I'm a big fan of all of those soundtracks except for XII, but I love the I-IX soundtracks just as much, so I too would like to see more DLC songs from those games.

I'm particularly appalled at the lack of FF VIII songs; to date, there are only four FF VIII songs available between DLC and what's in the game. FF IX hasn't gotten nearly enough love either, but at least there are a bunch of new IX songs coming this month!

Bururian

Yes, it was released in the U.S. and Europe last week. It's pretty tough on Ultimate!

You're right, the DLC releases so far have definitely been balanced in favor of FFs X-XIII. Thankfully, I'm a big fan of all of those soundtracks except for XII, but I love the I-IX soundtracks just as much, so I too would like to see more DLC songs from those games.

I'm particularly appalled at the lack of FF VIII songs; to date, there are only four FF VIII songs available between DLC and what's in the game. FF IX hasn't gotten nearly enough love either, but at least there are a bunch of new IX songs coming this month!

The music is by no means bad, I've still bought all the DLC so far, $28 and counting, and play all of it, but when I see that Europe gets awesome stuff like Sunken Shrine and Matoya's Cave, it makes my heart a little sad. We will get it eventually, but my impatience kicks in, and I want it now. Not later.

The music is by no means bad, I've still bought all the DLC so far, $28 and counting, and play all of it, but when I see that Europe gets awesome stuff like Sunken Shrine and Matoya's Cave, it makes my heart a little sad. We will get it eventually, but my impatience kicks in, and I want it now. Not later.

I hear you. Personally I'm really pining for FF IV's "Battle 2," FF VIII's "Force Your Way," and FF V's "The Decisive Battle," the former two of which aren't even on the U.S. schedule yet and the latter of which isn't coming until the end of this month.

At least I get FF IX's "Battle 2" next week, which is pretty much my favorite boss theme in the whole series!

Gravijah

after 12-13 hours with T:FF, i think i am done. it's just not a very enjoyable rhythm game.

This is the first time I listen to the original rendition of the last boss music from FFIII and this is miles better than whatever the shit the Black Mages did for their third album. Also light years better than the Dissidia remix.

Suck a Moogle pom pom, Gravijah.

DS version is probably the best. but i also prefer the original to the Dissida & Black Mages versions.

Boss Battle theme is a different story and the Dissidia version is best.

Bururian

I hear you. Personally I'm really pining for FF IV's "Battle 2," FF VIII's "Force Your Way," and FF V's "The Decisive Battle," the former two of which aren't even on the U.S. schedule yet and the latter of which isn't coming until the end of this month.

At least I get FF IX's "Battle 2" next week, which is pretty much my favorite boss theme in the whole series!

My two favorite Battle themes happen to come from FFVIII, "The Man with the Machine Gun" which we already have, and "Force your Way" which has been released in Japan, so we'll eventually get it, and I want to play it pretty badly.

Javier

The DLC menu definitely needs a music preview. It's hard to know what to buy when I don't know most of these songs.

FFIV Battle 2 is all I really want, too bad we won't get it until next month at the very least.

Also, one more character unlock:
Sephirot!

Only Navy Shards to go!

My ban on playing 3DS games till the XL comes out here is killing me lol (under 2 weeks to go!), I wanna play. :(

If a FFXI song gets released this week in PAL I'ma sneak some gametime.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Only unlocked Blinded by Light (FF13) earlier today and it's probably my favourite BMS to play through. Hamauzu knocked the typical battle theme out of the park with that tune.

A good review Kagari. My only complaint would be the amount of time it's going to take to unlock everything, but I don't mind too much as long as I play it here and there.

My ban on playing 3DS games till the XL comes out here is killing me lol (under 2 weeks to go!), I wanna play. :(

If a FFXI song gets released this week in PAL I'ma sneak some gametime.

I'm hoping for Gustaberg to come sooner rather than later :p

rpmurphy

After taking a hiatus for other games, my baseline skill for the game I think has been raised. I managed to get through FFII battle on Ultimate on the first try. I also got my first you-know-what notes in the Chaos shrine last night, and boy was that annoying.

When will NA get Matoya's Cave? :<

Wichu

Just beat Battle With The Four Fiends on Ultimate for the first time. Feels good, man. I can't imagine ever being able to All Critical it though. I think a Perfect Chain is within the realm of possibility, though (only got five Bad/Misses).

Also did Saber's Edge right before. The fiddly bits are, well, fiddly.

EDIT: Everything Stoic for the glorious, glorious S ranks. I'm making this harder for myself than I have to, aren't I?

I think they're now announcing the European Theatrhythm DLC with the eShop listings for the week AFTER it gets released, which is why the DLC wasn't mentioned last week. What a pain.

Top Bottom