• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

Such a fantastic DLC lineup for this month, except for some of the XII stuff. Loving the focus on IX and X, which have not gotten enough love so far.

Do wish there was some more NES and VIII stuff, but at least we know some (Matoya's Cave, Sunken Shrine, Force Your Way) are still yet to come for the US. I do find it odd that, for four weeks in a row, we're getting songs from the same FFs (IX, X, and XII)... you'd think Square Enix NA would want to diversify each week's releases a bit, but hey. These are great songs, so no complaints here.

I wonder if they're modifying the DLC schedule in each territory based on the sales numbers they're seeing for the DLC they've released so far?

Bururian

Such a fantastic DLC lineup for this month, except for some of the XII stuff. Loving the focus on IX and X, which have not gotten enough love so far.

Do wish there was some more NES and VIII stuff, but at least we know some (Matoya's Cave, Sunken Shrine, Force Your Way) are still yet to come for the US. I do find it odd that, for four weeks in a row, we're getting songs from the same FFs (IX, X, and XII)... you'd think Square Enix NA would want to diversify each week's releases a bit, but hey. These are great songs, so no complaints here.

I wonder if they're modifying the DLC schedule in each territory based on the sales numbers they're seeing for the DLC they've released so far?

I buy all the DLC, and so far $24 pumped into the game for DLC alone.

Sora_N

Thinking of selling this game for now, and maybe buy it again later. Would I lose all data or are my saves actually stored on my SD card? I have not purchased any DLC yet, same question regarding SD card I guess?

Javier

Thinking of selling this game for now, and maybe buy it again later. Would I lose all data or are my saves actually stored on my SD card? I have not purchased any DLC yet, same question regarding SD card I guess?
Save data on cart games is locked to the cart, so yeah, you will lose it.

DLC is locked to the system.

I'll be getting these DLCs:

“The Crystal Tower” (FINAL FANTASY III)
“This is the Last Battle” (FINAL FANTASY III)
“The Final Battle” (FINAL FANTASY V)
“Battle 1” (FINAL FANTASY V)
“The Decisive Battle” (FINAL FANTASY V)

But I'll probably take a month off from the game for Kingdom Hearts (and from playing over two hundred Dark Notes burnout, heh).

No Type-0 track yet despite them having released a Type-0 stage screenshot... smh.

Oh yeah, you're right... I had totally forgotten about that track. Hmm, how odd. Do we know if Europe is getting Somnus this month, or is that still missing on their schedule too?

I buy all the DLC, and so far $24 pumped into the game for DLC alone.

Yep, same here. Even for the songs I don't particularly love, this game is just so freaking fun that I'll take whatever new content I can get for it. And besides, I love far more of the songs than I don't, so I only end up spending a few bucks on songs I'm not crazy about.

I just recently bought this, not a Final Fantasy person (just not really played them more than anything) but I'm loving this so far.

Would certainly love it more if I recognised the music. It's making me want to play all the games through now.

I just recently bought this, not a Final Fantasy person (just not really played them more than anything) but I'm loving this so far.

Would certainly love it more if I recognised the music. It's making me want to play all the games through now.

It's always nice to hear about this game bringing new fans into the fold! Final Fantasy is an excellent series, though people are very passionate about which ones they like and which ones they don't.

Most fans you'll talk to, though, will agree that Final Fantasy VI (originally released in the U.S. as "Final Fantasy III," don't ask) is one of the best games in the series and also a pretty good starting point for someone looking to try out their first FF game. If you want something a little more modern, though, you can't go wrong with Final Fantasy IX either -- in my opinion, it's the best of the PS1 entries.

Anyway, if you get around to trying one of the games, I hope you enjoy whatever you pick!

It's always nice to hear about this game bringing new fans into the fold! Final Fantasy is an excellent series, though people are very passionate about which ones they like and which ones they don't.

Most fans you'll talk to, though, will agree that Final Fantasy VI (originally released in the U.S. as "Final Fantasy III," don't ask) is one of the best games in the series and also a pretty good starting point for someone looking to try out their first FF game. If you want something a little more modern, though, you can't go wrong with Final Fantasy IX either -- in my opinion, it's the best of the PS1 entries.

Anyway, if you get around to trying one of the games, I hope you enjoy whatever you pick!

I've out around 15 hours into 7 and 10 hours into 8 when they first came out and for whatever reason, stopped playing.

Having 7,8 and 9 on ps3, should just bloody sit down and play them.

Is 6 on DS?

Edit: Could check if its on iOS, would give me reason to use it for games.

Javier

Only FF1, 2 and 3 are on iOS, AFAIK.

The only FF I've played prior to Theatrhythm is FF4, so I decided to try out other games in the series. I downloaded FF1 on iOS, and it's not a bad port and the game can be fun. The problem is that the overworld is really confusing and there's no in-game map, so you might want to use one from GameFAQs. The story also is very simplistic, with it essentially being "Start quest, solve quest, repeat".

We get our info weekly when the eShop line-up is announced. We won't know when we're getting Somnus until the week it arrives.

Gotcha.

I've out around 15 hours into 7 and 10 hours into 8 when they first came out and for whatever reason, stopped playing.

Having 7,8 and 9 on ps3, should just bloody sit down and play them.

Is 6 on DS?

Edit: Could check if its on iOS, would give me reason to use it for games.

No, FF VI's only on SNES, PS1 (terrible port, stay far away from it), and GBA. I think a great many of us would like to see an FF VI remake on DS (well, now 3DS) much like the 3D remake FF IV got...

Roto13

The link in the OP to Desperate Struggle for Final Fantasy XIII actually leads to Desperate Struggle for Final Fantasy XII. Two different songs with the same name.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just started playing and wondering - is the music used for each series chapter intro, and outro, available anywhere else for play with real note charts? Or is it just used for the tapping minigame during the intro and endings?

Just started playing and wondering - is the music used for each series chapter intro, and outro, available anywhere else for play with real note charts? Or is it just used for the tapping minigame during the intro and endings?

Zanarkand and FF12 Ending can crop up in the Dark Notes with real note charts but they are the only ones to my knowledge.

Javier

Just unlocked my first Dark Note with
Spinning Arrows.
Holy fuck at that shit.

I also finally beat Saber's Edge on Ultimate last night. Definitely one of the hardest.

Zanarkand and FF12 Ending can crop up in the Dark Notes with real note charts but they are the only ones to my knowledge.

Vana'diel March (FF XI) can show up as an FMS, and Defiers of Fate (FF XIII) can show up as a BMS as well.

I'm officially done farming Dark Notes (for the time being).

I've gotten 230 of them and the one I've wanted hasn't popped.

It wouldn't be so irritating if I haven't gotten some song combinations six, eight and ten times, but whatever.

Thankfully, a fellow GAF member was at our StreetPass MeetUp last weekend and had it, so we swapped it over a multi-player match, but I was still hoping to get one with my own name on it. His will be on ProfiCard until I decide to give it another go though!

For now though, it's time for Kingdom Hearts.

I'll see Theatrhythm again once all the DLC is out, perhaps.

VertPin

Hey all.
I have come to a complete stop. I cannot decide whether to get Dream Drop Distance or this. (Also since I am a junior, I cannot post a topic nor would I make a silly topic just for this). I know this is the Theatrhythem topic, but I wanted to know which one I would have more fun with. I love both KH and FF. :)
Although, is there much of a boost to Theatrhythem to play? Like a compelling campaign or addictive gameplay is it? just wondering. I would buy both if I had the money. Thanks! :)

Noi

Hey all.
I have come to a complete stop. I cannot decide whether to get Dream Drop Distance or this. (Also since I am a junior, I cannot post a topic nor would I make a silly topic just for this). I know this is the Theatrhythem topic, but I wanted to know which one I would have more fun with. I love both KH and FF. :)
Although, is there much of a boost to Theatrhythem to play? Like a compelling campaign or addictive gameplay is it? just wondering. I would buy both if I had the money. Thanks! :)

There's pretty much no campaign to Theatrhythm, it's a straight up rhythm game with lots of FF music to play and the prime motivation is to get better at songs/unlock new ones. If you're fine with that, then Theatrhythm is right up your alley.

(KH3D is nice too, if you'd rather play an action game.)

VertPin

There's pretty much no campaign to Theatrhythm, it's a straight up rhythm game with lots of FF music to play and the prime motivation is to get better at songs/unlock new ones. If you're fine with that, then Theatrhythm is right up your alley.

(KH3D is nice too, if you'd rather play an action game.)

I'm still excited to play Theatrhythem. Although, the problem with DDD is that I don't think I can wrap my head along another convoluted plot. :p

neoemonk

SSS rank, holy cow.

I got my first S rank on all three stages on basic mode and I was excited.

I don't know why I buy rhythm games. I always do the same thing. Play it until it gets hard and then not want to practice. It's fun while it lasts though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Got it in the post today. Haven't played many Final Fantasies so a lot of the music is new to me. Really enjoying it so far. Still need to get to grips with the arrow notes.

gameplay using original songs instead of arranged songs is lame.

If by "lame" you mean "ideal," then sure. Many remixes of video game music tend to be pretty terrible in that you can barely hear their original melodies, which defeats the point in the first place.

And remixes just don't evoke the same feelings and memories as original versions of songs do. This would be a terrible 25th anniversary title if it didn't use the original songs as you heard them when you first played the game.

Gravijah

If by "lame" you mean "ideal," then sure. Many remixes of video game music tend to be pretty terrible in that you can barely hear their original melodies, which defeats the point in the first place.

SE arrangements are usually amazing. they were great in Dissida, too.

besides, the best part of a "crossover" game like this is hearing new takes on old tunes.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hey guys, just dropping by to say hi! I've been playing this game since it came out, and I have about 24hrs into it. I love it!

I just got to the part where
spinning arrows become a thing.
I feel so violated. =(

i'm not sure what it being a tribute has to do with anything. plenty of tributes use arranged music.
You really can't see why some people would prefer the tunes they heard 15 years ago as a kid? (This isn't me.)

Acerac

Banned
Just picked up this game and am absolutely hooked. One big question though, am I missing out on anything by ignoring that ridiculous 2 mil bonus for unequipping my characters? Seems like it'd be easier to just pretend that that bonus doesn't exist and add 2 million points to my score when comparing to others.

It's a RPG. I want to use my equips and abilities, even if they are mostly worthless.

And remixes just don't evoke the same feelings and memories as original versions of songs do. This would be a terrible 25th anniversary title if it didn't use the original songs as you heard them when you first played the game.

Both work to achieve that effect imo. Smash Bros hits the nostalgia nerves just right with remixes after all.

I would have liked both in the game, would have made for more unlockables.

Noi

I don't like arrangements for rhythm games. The original tracks are the songs I'm familiar with and I already know the beat to. It's tough enough needing to keep track of every instrument for when a Dark Note switches over to them, let alone having to re-learn a brand new arrangement that might have new stuff or have a different tempo.

It's one thing to listen to good arranges like in Smash and "play" them like in this. Though I do agree that they should be playable if they're technically already in the game... Why Chaos Shrine isn't a proper BMS track is beyond me.

Just picked up this game and am absolutely hooked. One big question though, am I missing out on anything by ignoring that ridiculous 2 mil bonus for unequipping my characters? Seems like it'd be easier to just pretend that that bonus doesn't exist and add 2 million points to my score when comparing to others.

It's a RPG. I want to use my equips and abilities, even if they are mostly worthless.

Equips and abilities that keep you living longer in Series and Challenge mode. 2 MILLION bonus points is kind of excessive, but having a reward for not using equips/abilities isn't a bad thing.

That said no, outside of access to SS and SSS scores (for trophy purposes), you aren't missing anything.

Its been about 2 weeks since I've stopped playing this game. Not that I'm bored of it but I played it too much that I burnt myself out for the moment, lol. I do plan on picking it back up once I receive my XL.

Quick question, if I plan on buying all the DLC, what size should my SD card be? Thanks in advance.

Acerac

Banned
Equips and abilities that keep you living longer in Series and Challenge mode. 2 MILLION bonus points is kind of excessive, but having a reward for not using equips/abilities isn't a bad thing.

That said no, outside of access to SS and SSS scores (for trophy purposes), you aren't missing anything.

I understand what they're going for, but I feel it ruins the tiering system and would cause unnecessary hassle to switch constantly..

Thanks for the info. :)

Noi

I understand what they're going for, but I feel it ruins the tiering system and would cause unnecessary hassle to switch constantly..

Thanks for the info. :)

Yeah, I admit that it would be nice to at least have like Pre-arranged sets that you can customize. Would make switching between Dark Notes and Challenge mode a lot easier, at least.

IrishNinja

you guys gotta help me play this game better. i'm at @ 43k points, grinding for characters in the dark notes.

- I'm using 3 lvl 99's and alternating out a 4th to power level. is this the fastest way? i tried using 4 newbies but we couldnt beat bosses enough to make a jewel grind worth it.

- assuming that's not a horrible plan: what's the best way to go about this? in this example, cecil, cloud and zidane are 99, aeris (who im told i should level for libra?) is like 20. before, when i power-leveled rydia and vivi, i had exp hog or whatever on them for a bit, but that made no sense...maxed-out guys get no XP, right? so now i just put xp + on whoever's new. is that the best plan? i net no more than say 1500 pts this way.

- im really tired of playing the same 2 levels in dark notes, hoping for the same boss & same drop to finish unlocking characters one day. according to gamefaqs, i need to find navy (so bad!), gold, grey, black & 3 more purples. they're totally random, right? i feel like just working on the 22 or so i have unlocked, because the 6 or so up top/unfinished are very high level and i dont wanna do them like 20 times. any ideas here?
(is there a method to this, should i look for any certain levels/names for those colors?)

- finally: when do i unlock a
moogle
to use for my card? thanks guys!

*edit

gameplay using original songs instead of arranged songs is lame.

0009.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I hit 10,000 points so I guess I "beat" the game. Though I only have one additional song unlocked so far. Though thanks to dark notes I've previewed some of the other potential unlocks.

Noi

you guys gotta help me play this game better. i'm at @ 43k points, grinding for characters in the dark notes.

- I'm using 3 lvl 99's and alternating out a 4th to power level. is this the fastest way? i tried using 4 newbies but we couldnt beat bosses enough to make a jewel grind worth it.

- assuming that's not a horrible plan: what's the best way to go about this? in this example, cecil, cloud and zidane are 99, aeris (who im told i should level for libra?) is like 20. before, when i power-leveled rydia and vivi, i had exp hog or whatever on them for a bit, but that made no sense...maxed-out guys get no XP, right? so now i just put xp + on whoever's new. is that the best plan? i net no more than say 1500 pts this way.

EXP hog works because even if you have level 99 characters, they otherwise still count for the split distribution if you aren't using the skill. I did so to raise Prishe with the rest of my party being in their 80's and it took no time to get her matched to the other's level. Remember that the more monsters you beat in a BMS (and types, including bosses), the more EXP you get.

I lucked out at Otakon and got a Dark Note with Magic Pot away the boss, so that's been my go to place for grinding...

Top Bottom