• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

moojito

Damn, I kept myself awake til midnight when my bandwidth becomes unmetered so I could start a bunch of games downloading overnight, and this! Baaah.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
There is only 1 timezone in the world.

AFAIK only the US & Canada can play at the moment, and all those time zones are pretty much in prime time. So yes, regarding BL2 there is currently only 1 timezone in the world.

Also regarding any other game, he said the majority of their users, which is still the truth.

That's my real complaint. Why the hell would they schedule it for what is prime time for the majority of their users.

I am fucking pissed.

I waited all damn day to play and avoided the temptation to boot it up. 6:30PM rolls around my scheduled playtime with friends and Steam is fucking down for maintanance.

God you're naive.

btw, I can't play my installed copy of Borderlands 2 yet because apparently there's an ocean between me and the US.

Oreoleo

There is totally not a Dustforce key in this post.

I'm just gonna.... *snatch*

Thanks dude! :)

Edit: As a way of paying it forward, if there's anyone who wants a copy of Torchlight 1 even though 2 drops like, tomorrow, shoot me a PM with your Steam ID or email.

Can you post details of your setup and we'll take a look.

Hey Mario, thanks!

Just tried it again and it still didnt work. (Fresh download from Steam)

Mac OSX Version 10.8.1
Retina Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz, 16GB Ram, plenty of HD left

When I try to launch it: "Shatter cannot be opened because of a problem."

These are the details of the error:
Code:
Process:         Shatter [439]
Path:            /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/Shatter.app/Contents/MacOS/Shatter
Identifier:      com.sidheinteractive.ShatterSteam
Version:         1.0 (1.0)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [129]
User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2012-09-18 20:12:42.599 -0400
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)
Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:          513277 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           21
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   5
Anonymous UUID:                      9447B3A3-6615-4E4D-A422-B222913ADD50

Crashed Thread:  0

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/Cg.framework/Cg
  Referenced from: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/Shatter.app/Contents/MacOS/Shatter
  Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
    0x1000 -   0x5d3ff3 +com.sidheinteractive.ShatterSteam (1.0 - 1.0) <0B319312-482D-38EA-A458-F29CF99BADE1> /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/Shatter.app/Contents/MacOS/Shatter
  0xfc7000 -   0xfdbffb +gameoverlayrenderer.dylib (1) <40B9CCAE-DEC3-3095-950B-13082B6AAD29> /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/gameoverlayrenderer.dylib
  0xff0000 -   0xff1ff3 +steamloader.dylib (0) <EE606D39-F5A7-32DE-87F9-65F4AD30C598> /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/steamloader.dylib
0x8fe20000 - 0x8fe52e57  dyld (210.2.3) <23516BE4-29BE-350C-91C9-F36E7999F0F1> /usr/lib/dyld
0x936ff000 - 0x9370dfff  com.apple.opengl (1.8.5 - 1.8.5) <AA14FBC0-8AF3-3CCB-A390-C8F9AE81E1E9> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL
0x9381c000 - 0x93b39fff  com.apple.Foundation (6.8 - 945) <B6F00754-C3F7-3E33-B708-CCEA2AA3E969> /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation
0x952a0000 - 0x952a0fff  com.apple.Cocoa (6.7 - 19) <354094F0-F36B-36F9-BF5F-FD60590FBEB9> /System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa

Model: MacBookPro10,1, BootROM MBP101.00EE.B00, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.6 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.3f32
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Built-In, 512 MB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, PCIe, 1024 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x484D5434314753364D465238432D50422020
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x484D5434314753364D465238432D50422020
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0xEF), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.81.21)
Bluetooth: Version 4.0.9f8 10405, 2 service, 11 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0
Serial ATA Device: APPLE SSD SM512E, 500.28 GB
USB Device: hub_device, 0x8087  (Intel Corporation), 0x0024, 0x1d100000 / 2
USB Device: hub_device, 0x0424  (SMSC), 0x2512, 0x1d180000 / 3
USB Device: BRCM20702 Hub, 0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0x1d181000 / 5
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, apple_vendor_id, 0x8286, 0x1d181300 / 6
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, apple_vendor_id, 0x0262, 0x1d182000 / 4
USB Device: hub_device, 0x8087  (Intel Corporation), 0x0024, 0x1a100000 / 2
USB Device: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in), apple_vendor_id, 0x8510, 0x1a110000 / 3
USB Device: Gaming Mouse G400, 0x046d  (Logitech Inc.), 0xc245, 0x14200000 / 1

Sysgen

Just completed Driver: San Francisco (everything there was to do in SP, completed all dares, challenges, missions, bought all cars), and I really enjoyed my time with it, so I thought I'd write a short review.

I had absolutely no faith in Driver: San Francisco when it came out last year, given that all but the first one had been shit up until that point, and the shift feature made no sense to me. However, quite a number of people said they thought it was much better than they were expecting, and when it came up for €5 during the Summer Sale, I couldn't resist, and I'm glad I couldn't.

Driver: San Francisco brings the series back to where it belongs, driving, and that's all you do in the game. Obviously, that would suck if the driving was poor, but it definitely isn't. Driving in this game is an awesome arcady experience. Lots of drifting, cars are generally easy to handle (except if you take Zondas and the like onto the dirt), jumps are huge and there are car transporters everywhere for easy jumps and so on. What makes the game unique however is that for most of the game, you have access to the aforementioned 'shift' feature, which allows you to jump from your car into any other and drive as that one. This opens up quite a few fun possibilities, like jumping into oncoming traffic during races and taking out some opponents by ramming them head on. A nice touch with regards to the shift feature is the banter with passengers in the cars you jump in to, which can be quite funny. The game utilizes the new mechanic quite effectively, although there can be some difficulty balancing issues, with particularly team race (2v2) missions generally too easy due to the feature. On most challenges and missions it's fine though. You also get some where you aren't able to shift, of particular note here are the movie challenges, which can be unlocked by collecting tokens when driving around. These challenges are chases from films and TV series, ranging from (of course) the car chase from Bullitt to a challenge where you have to run from a classic police car in an orange Dodge Charger. I found all of them a lot of fun, and you can compete on times via online leaderboards, which I would have been able to do had I been able to make Uplay work in-game with my router. The only major complaint I have with regards to the main mechanics of the game is the fact that the game uses catch-up for AI opponents and police, something that shouldn't be in any self-respecting driving game. If I'm behind, tough, I clearly fucked up. If I'm ahead, I clearly did well, let me be ahead. Catch-up should never be a replacement for a properly tuned difficulty level.

The storyline, which actually manages to explain the shift feature is amazing. It is one of the funniest stories I've ever seen in a game, it's so ludicrous. Really, they just keep upping the crazy throughout the game. I'd say more about it, but that would just be giving away the crazy. Graphically I found the game to be rather plain, with the cars looking quite nice but the environment looking really dull, though I can forgive it in part due to the rather impressive size of the game map. The soundtrack is pretty good, but there should have been far more tracks given that it's a 20+ hour game.

Overall, as I mentioned before, I highly recommend this game. I really enjoyed myself for the full twenty-two hours I spent completing it, though less so for the hour I tried to get Uplay working ingame for me (which seems to have broken for no apparent reason). Driver: San Francisco is a real return to form for the series, and I hope they keep going like this. 7.5/10

Earlier mini-reviews (for judging how full of shit I am):
Sniper: Ghost Warrior (5/10)
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (3/10)
Singularity (7.5/10)

Agree with your Driver review. It does not pretend to be a serious racer, just a great fun casual game with a few serious challenges so the AI banding is OK by me. Singularity bothered me somehow and I quit that. The Rainbow Vegas games I enjoyed so we differ there.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
CAG is giving out Ravaged beta codes to registered members who have been registered for at least a year.

Here's mine if anyone wants it: Q32BB-4M6DC-6EX50

I started playing Anomaly Warzone Earth on a whim and lo and behold, the game not only supports triple monitors, but it automatically detected
it and set it without me going to the settings. I haven't played enough of the game to
actually have an opinion on it, but I was at least impressed by something.

Sorry about the super downsampling and compression.
U9pXd.jpg

camerooni

Neo Member
Did they change the font in the Steam Community friend feed? everything seems too close together now :/ I like to enforce a decent distance between achievement icons from differetn games :p

Is there a way to delete things from your inventory? I guess not right?
I have the worst game in there possible, the german version of L4D (won during the holiday sale) and it's so horribly cut, I don't want anyone to have that on their account. If anyone still does want that, PM me. I only want to get rid of it. :/

Also, those goddamn Shattered Horizon guest passes no one wants.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I have the worst game in there possible, the german version of L4D (won during the holiday sale) and it's so horribly cut, I don't want anyone to have that on their account. If anyone still does want that, PM me. I only want to get rid of it. :/

Yeah pretty much the only way to get rid of it is to trade it to someone, or create an alt account, gift it to them, and then log in to accept it then change the password to a mashing of keys on a keyboard so you can never, ever see it again.

Yeah pretty much the only way to get rid of it is to trade it to someone, or create an alt account, gift it to them, and then log in to accept it then change the password to a mashing of keys on a keyboard so you can never, ever see it again.

Hmm, that sounds like an idea. Are alt accounts and trades between them allowed by the Steam TOS? Or would I be in risky territory there?

Wok

Cut in what sense? No blood? If so, I would rather take it than you throw it away. I will be back in several hours.

Cut in what sense? No blood?

Less blood, no dimemberment, bodies mysteriously vanish when they hit the floor. All that good stuff. Even the boxart is altered:
1662723-capture_super.png
252px-Left4Dead_Windows_cover.jpg

i don't think gameplay is affected in any way and the game youd be compatible with all other versions though.
If you really want it, contact me on Steam, link is in my profile.

Milamber

Steam billing related question here guys, maybe some of you experienced this first hand.

I finally paid off my credit card debt of my "Home Country" & promptly cancelled it. It was my Steam VISA purchase card. I am planning on using instead these new fangled prepaid VISA cards of my "Work Country". Is this allowable through Steam as my credit card info is going to change countries & will it affect region pricing & availability of games?

I wanna get Borderlands 2 as soon as possible.

JustinBB7

Turn off motion blur, enable msaa/8x, change whatever res. It's really simple if you follow my directions to the ini file.

I can't seem to find motion blur or msaa in that file, maybe I'm just blind.

Edit: Found it, I was in the wrong folder, I was in the first config one, not in the engine > config one.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Try ctrl-fing motion or blur or msaa or aa? There are only so many references to them in the ini. Also, you can't miss them if you find the system settings segment.

Cut in what sense? No blood? If so, I would rather take it than you throw it away. I will be back in several hours.

No dude, you don't want it. Just wait for the next sale and forget the censored version ever existed. Remember, once it's installed you can never get rid of it and you can never replace it with the uncensored version

Hoplatee

Finished GTA4. Well... Almost finished it. I was unable to
climb into the helicopter in the last mission no matter what I tried (controller, keyboard, mapping it to different button)
so I just watched the ending on Youtube. Looks like more people had that issue after some googling so I feel less stupid!

Enjoyed it. Which should I play next? Gay Tony or Lost and Damned?

Damn you Steam backlog.

Tomodachi

climb into the helicopter in the last mission no matter what I tried (controller, keyboard, mapping it to different button)
so I just watched the ending on Youtube. Looks like more people had that issue after some googling so I feel less stupid!

Damn you Steam backlog.

Why not let it rest a bit? They're more of the same in a lot of ways (not that it's a bad thing, but maybe it could be a good idea to switch genre for a while).

Anyway I liked Gay Tony better.

This kinda struck me as odd on the Tony Hawk HD page:

THPS and THPS2 gameplay comes to PC!
I was gonna joke about how there apparently weren't PC ports of these games over a decade ago... but looking into it, there really wasn't a PC port of THPS1. 2 got one, but not 1. Never knew that!

allansm

Damn you Steam backlog.

Start with Lost and Damned as Gay Tony is better (save the best for last!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom