• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Hardware/OS/Firmware Updates Tips, Tricks, and Discussion

Yaska

Two things,

1) if you film with a light on your camera will have a far easier time of trying to maintain focus.

2) have you tried a database rebuild?

Nothing works, I get blackscreen with every option except firmware update and system recovery. And a good advice regarding filming, cheers.

Anyhow, getting my vita back tomorrow ( this time they were quite quick) so lets see what the support guys say this time (instead of lol it's all ok, dumb customer, I hope).

Rootbeer

Banned
I've been having intermittent problems with my Vita where the touch screen acts erratically. It either does not register touches or it registers it on the wrong part of the screen, or there may be a delay in registering swipes, etc.

holding down power to turn it off and then back on fixes it

it seems to occur when i leave my vita in standby mode for a long time, like several days

wondering if anyone has experienced this at all? I have the wi-fi model and only started noticing this in the last few weeks. hard to say if it ever happened before and I just never noticed or not. Hoping it's just an OS issue of some sort becuase I never noticed it until after 2.0

Cartman86

Banned
I've been having intermittent problems with my Vita where the touch screen acts erratically. It either does not register touches or it registers it on the wrong part of the screen, or there may be a delay in registering swipes, etc.

holding down power to turn it off and then back on fixes it

it seems to occur when i leave my vita in standby mode for a long time, like several days

wondering if anyone has experienced this at all? I have the wi-fi model and only started noticing this in the last few weeks. hard to say if it ever happened before and I just never noticed or not. Hoping it's just an OS issue of some sort becuase I never noticed it until after 2.0

My OG Droid and Nexus 7 did that. Had to send them back for replacements.

Rootbeer

Banned
My OG Droid and Nexus 7 did that. Had to send them back for replacements.

:( I have never needed a console or handheld repaired yet... including my iphones. I hope this won't be the first. like i said, restarting it fixes it, and only happens after trying to use it when it's been in standby for a while. I think I can live with it... if I must. >.<

Takuan

So, got my AssCreed Vita bundle yesterday, opened it up today and tried to download PS All-Stars, but the system won't recognize that there's a memory card in the slot. Did I get a bad system/memory card?

darkwing

So, got my AssCreed Vita bundle yesterday, opened it up today and tried to download PS All-Stars, but the system won't recognize that there's a memory card in the slot. Did I get a bad system/memory card?

did you check the Settings and under System info, then the card size?

Metalmarc

if im not bothered about game saves when my new memory card arrives can i just redownload all my apps and games with new memory card or is it easier to back up?

So I have no idea if this is the thread to ask this stuff but what the heck!

I'm planning to buy a Vita for christmas present to myself <3. However there is one thing I need info on. I have bunch of PSP and PS1 games on 2 different accounts (EU and US). I'll be using EU as my main account since I'll have all the ps+ and crossbuy stuff there but naturally I wanna be able to access my US games too. I have read that switching accounts means reseting the console to factory settings or some shit.

Now then, how does this work exactly. Can I do it without problems if I get 2 memory cards? How bothersome is it to switch accounts in general?

hitmon

I had the same problem. Formatting the memory card fixed it for me.

DiscoJer

I had the same problem. Formatting the memory card fixed it for me.

Ditto. Confused the heck out of me at first. I kept trying to put the card in better.

I don't know if I'm getting old (well, I am), but the Vita completely baffled me at first in so many ways trying to do even basic functions. Had to get Takao's help on a couple things.

hitmon

Ditto. Confused the heck out of me at first. I kept trying to put the card in better.

I don't know if I'm getting old (well, I am), but the Vita completely baffled me at first in so many ways trying to do even basic functions. Had to get Takao's help on a couple things.

Yeah I took the card out a couple of time and put it back in too. Then I checked the information and it wasn't reading the card. Figured I might as well format the card and see what happens. Then it worked.

Takuan

Yeah, mine wouldn't even format. Kept saying there wasn't a card inserted. It's already on its way back to Amazon, and the replacement order has shipped. I'll have it this Friday if I'm lucky, otherwise it'll be in early next week.

One other thing I noticed, and this is me nitpicking, but are misaligned dpads a common thing with Vitas? It's a little annoying to look at, but if it's otherwise completely functional, I don't care so much.

DBT85

So I have no idea if this is the thread to ask this stuff but what the heck!

I'm planning to buy a Vita for christmas present to myself <3. However there is one thing I need info on. I have bunch of PSP and PS1 games on 2 different accounts (EU and US). I'll be using EU as my main account since I'll have all the ps+ and crossbuy stuff there but naturally I wanna be able to access my US games too. I have read that switching accounts means reseting the console to factory settings or some shit.

Now then, how does this work exactly. Can I do it without problems if I get 2 memory cards? How bothersome is it to switch accounts in general?

If you have two cards then it makes life much easier however it's still a pain. You would have one card that has all of your US stuff on, and one card with all your U stuff on. When you want to swap you would remove the EU card, reset the Vita to factory settings which will wipe your PSN details, WiFi details etc. Then you can put your US card in and punch that info back in again.

It's only a couple of minutes to do it but it would be nice if you could at least save your settings to the memorycard as a backup.

One other thing I noticed, and this is me nitpicking, but are misaligned dpads a common thing with Vitas? It's a little annoying to look at, but if it's otherwise completely functional, I don't care so much.

Can you further explain what you mean by misaligned?

Do you mean the dpad within its matte outer plastic element? If so my launch unit is perfectly central.

Yaska

Well my woes with broken vita seem to be over, as the shop gave me a completely new one, formatted my memcard just to be sure, ofc wiping all my saves lol, and downloaded psasbr to enjoy on the go. Now to get persona 4 from mail.

wilflare

anyone using any of the following?

BarrierChief
BestSkinEver
ZAGG
ArmorSuit
Shimino -something-

did you experience any yellowing? all the fingerprints are bothering me

Ringman

Banned
My vita has this dark line through the center of it. I only notice it when the screen is completely black, but it's bothersome.

Takuan

Can you further explain what you mean by misaligned?

Do you mean the dpad within its matte outer plastic element? If so my launch unit is perfectly central.
The d-pad wasn't properly centered, it was slanted several degrees to the right. Annoying, but I would've lived with it if it weren't for the fact that the memory card slot/memory card didn't work. Hopefully, the replacement will have neither issue.

The d-pad wasn't properly centered, it was slanted several degrees to the right. Annoying, but I would've lived with it if it weren't for the fact that the memory card slot/memory card didn't work. Hopefully, the replacement will have neither issue.

Sounds like some poor guy in China had really bad day when putting your unit together.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I can't seem to find how to change my psn account. I have two memory stick, How do i change my account?

Mentioned in another thread:

Just the normal way-- (two memory cards, one for each account)

(Sync trophies if you haven't), Restore system, don't format memory card, switch memory cards on power-down, sign in using other account.

Also, no need to deauthorize each time if you'll be switching back and forth a lot.

longdi

Banned
not a fan of white products championed by apple but wow is the white asscreed vita cooler than black! makes it looks smaller than its bulk. white also makes sticking screen protector less of a sore point for those with OCD! cant see those tiny air pockets!

now i wonder if you can turn off those menu/buttons click and pops?

i also think the OS is a little to busy looking with the many popups and stickies.

kassatsu

Banned
So I just noticed that the time it takes to rebuild the database after switching memory cards has gotten faster.

It used to take upwards of 1min30sec. Now it is under 1min. fw2.00 stealth feature?

KillerAJD

So I think I found a pretty cool trick with Youtube on PS3 and Vita. If you've used the PS3 app, you may have seen how you can pair a phone or tablet with the PS3 and control it through that. It's pretty slick, and except for some stability issues on the PS3, it works pretty well. Since the PS3 app has come out, I've been annoyed that Sony/Google haven't taken advantage of the Vita and added support for it. It seems like a no brainer, but I've found a way around it not being supported explicitly.

The new Vita app is miles better than it was before, but even then they still didn't update it with the pairing functionality. The thing is, with the new browser update (not sure if it worked before), you can use the mobile Youtube site (which works great now) to open Youtube videos on the Vita app. Youtube links even turn into the mobile links, which you can then open in the Vita app by hitting play.

I then started tinkering with the mobile site, and in the settings, there's an option to pair it with the Youtube TV application. I tried the code the PS3 app gave me, and it paired perfectly! When you open a Youtube link on the Vita browser, it will open the mobile version of the video. You can either click play and it will open the Vita app, or in the bottom left corner, you can select to play on any paired device. When you do that, the video will begin playing on the PS3 (as long as you have the app open), and you are presented with a timeline to scrub through, a pause button, and what seem to be buttons that let you go back and forth between videos you've already watched. There is a little bit of a delay (it seemed to be more than on my phone), but it works!

So, although it's not supported in the Vita app itself, the browser is now decent enough for the mobile site to work, and all that entails, which includes the pairing stuff. Sorry for the wall of text!

bpFKE.jpg

xNzu0.jpg

RExmU.jpg

scSRH.jpg

Takuan

Sounds like some poor guy in China had really bad day when putting your unit together.

Seriously, hahaha. I received the replacement yesterday, and this unit's dpad is perfectly centered! More importantly, the system immediately detected the memory card when I popped it up. Downloaded Sony Smash, Gravity Rush, and FFT. I hadn't played an unpatched version of the PSP FFT until last night and can't believe people put up with that slow-down. Horrible, horrible.

Quite pleased with the hardware. I wish I had a screen protector, because my screen is already fingerprint-y. Waiting for sales.

Edit: Just ordered one at a local computer shop, yay.

I did! The Capdase Klia (exact copy from what I can tell) was $1 cheaper, but doesn't come with the microfiber cloth.

btkadams

°°ToMmY°°;45204514 said:
Didn't realize this until now, trophies now sync during app browsing, no more loading upon boot up.

ZhdeB.jpg

(See top left of the pic)
Yeah, I was so stoked for this! The vita seems to be fixing so many problems with the PS3. It really gets me excited for PS4.

Afrikan

So I think I found a pretty cool trick with Youtube on PS3 and Vita....

Great Find! I'd hate to use my phone for this type of stuff. I need to upgrade it soon anyway. So yeah, it'd make browsing easier for me at least.

so Youtube apps, like on the PS3 Vita Smartphone...these are all mobile versions right? you still can't watch unlisted youtube videos on these correct?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So I think I found a pretty cool trick with Youtube on PS3 and Vita. If you've used the PS3 app, you may have seen how you can pair a phone or tablet with the PS3 and control it through that. It's pretty slick, and except for some stability issues on the PS3, it works pretty well. Since the PS3 app has come out, I've been annoyed that Sony/Google haven't taken advantage of the Vita and added support for it. It seems like a no brainer, but I've found a way around it not being supported explicitly.

The new Vita app is miles better than it was before, but even then they still didn't update it with the pairing functionality. The thing is, with the new browser update (not sure if it worked before), you can use the mobile Youtube site (which works great now) to open Youtube videos on the Vita app. Youtube links even turn into the mobile links, which you can then open in the Vita app by hitting play.

I then started tinkering with the mobile site, and in the settings, there's an option to pair it with the Youtube TV application. I tried the code the PS3 app gave me, and it paired perfectly! When you open a Youtube link on the Vita browser, it will open the mobile version of the video. You can either click play and it will open the Vita app, or in the bottom left corner, you can select to play on any paired device. When you do that, the video will begin playing on the PS3 (as long as you have the app open), and you are presented with a timeline to scrub through, a pause button, and what seem to be buttons that let you go back and forth between videos you've already watched. There is a little bit of a delay (it seemed to be more than on my phone), but it works!

So, although it's not supported in the Vita app itself, the browser is now decent enough for the mobile site to work, and all that entails, which includes the pairing stuff. Sorry for the wall of text!

Awesome!

Andrefpvs

Has anyone here used the backup and restore function? I used it to back up my entire system to my computer (29GBs of data). I then formatted the system and memory card. When I go to restore it, however, it always gives me error C2-12858-4 and says it wasn't possible to restore the system.

Now this is pretty worrying for me because although my Vita saves are safe in the cloud, if I can't restore this file I'll lose all my PSP+PS1 saves along with my messages, near data, etc.

It's frustrating because the file is just sitting here on my computer, and it fails for some stupid reason (some check fails, I suppose).

So I beg of you, if anyone has ever run into this or similar problems, would they please tell me how to possibly solve this? Thank you.

KillerAJD

Great Find! I'd hate to use my phone for this type of stuff. I need to upgrade it soon anyway. So yeah, it'd make browsing easier for me at least.

so Youtube apps, like on the PS3 Vita Smartphone...these are all mobile versions right? you still can't watch unlisted youtube videos on these correct?

I haven't tried it, but I assume if you're given a link to an unlisted video on the Vita, it will let you open it up on the Vita app, or push it to the PS3 app. Does the mobile version of youtube not let you watch unlisted videos or something?

Curufinwe

I recently got the HORI PS Vita Grip Attachment and I think it's great. But now I can't find any cases that will fit the Vita inside with the Hori Grip still attached since the combination is longer at the bottom, and quite a lot higher.

61yuGE5X1pL.jpg

Has anyone with the Hori Grip found a tablet or camera case that's the right size to house the Vita with the Grip attached? At the moment I just put it inside a Kindle Fire cardboard box when I'm not using it. Even a correctly sized microfiber bag would be an improvement, but I couldn't find anything like that at Best Buy today.

My vita has been failing the firmware update for the last couple of days. I've tried all 3 update methods. I've tried several reboots and I tried to enter the repair menu but my vita won't seem to boot into repair. It just randomly started the firmware update correctly on maybe the 10th try in the last few days. Was the update server down or is my vita screwed?

DrWong

I post it here. Sorry if it's the wrong thread to do so but I didn't find a better place as well as a thread about this rumour coming from the French website Gameblog.

Quick translation of the key content of this news : the website is claiming to know, from one of their source, that a new Vita is planned to be released at the end of 2013. This model should allow Sony to drop the price, always according to Gameblog.

I don't know how reliable this rumour is, so take it with the usual grain of stuff.

darkwing

My vita has been failing the firmware update for the last couple of days. I've tried all 3 update methods. I've tried several reboots and I tried to enter the repair menu but my vita won't seem to boot into repair. It just randomly started the firmware update correctly on maybe the 10th try in the last few days. Was the update server down or is my vita screwed?

that's really weird, but now your Vita is updated?

Ran rp

I post it here. Sorry if it's the wrong thread to do so but I didn't find a better place as well as a thread about this rumour coming from the French website Gameblog.

Quick translation of the key content of this news : the website is claiming to know, from one of their source, that a new Vita is planned to be released at the end of 2013. This model should allow Sony to drop the price, always according to Gameblog.

I don't know how reliable this rumour is, so take it with the usual grain of stuff.

You guys ready for cheap plastic and LCDs?

Number45

That would add to the costs and with the way the VITA is selling i don't think that's possible.
People thought they didn't go for a TV-out because they didn't want it to cannibalise PS3 sales. Maybe we'll see a TV-out after all.

Sid

People thought they didn't go for a TV-out because they didn't want it to cannibalise PS3 sales. Maybe we'll see a TV-out after all.
No the dev kits have the TV-out the reason for not adding it remain the costs and with the way it's selling sony have to be penny pinching to gain profits.

Top Bottom