• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden |OT| The Filler Chronicles (Anime Only! No manga spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power 1 (ep 290)
tumblr_mdw80aSByl1rv4a09o1_r4_500.gif

Actually it feels and looks like a special in some kind of way and is actually on its way to being quite memorable. The first portion of the episode was really epic and action packed with the main crew on this mission to check out the hole, I guess. Im guessing it is taking place way before the war started but after
Lord Orochimaru being defeated by Sasuke and taken in by Lord Orochimaru

Best moment was with Sai
and that dragon attack launched that virtually closed the fight with a bit of Naruto intervention
. Sakura's punch was cool too. Only thing Im disappointed in is that a few of the characters arent voiced, well at this point in time.
I guess Kabuto is still working out the edo tensei? Like Itachi and others werent moving and speaking

Second half was really emotional, whoever is penning this story is off to a good start. Hopefully Leo and Minna have a large role in this and the other kids.

Only odd thing was Kabuto, what happened as he is not how he looks in the normal anime episodes. And I liked the Naruto at start
tumblr_mdw5qedPln1qknafpo1_500.gif

I'm not one of the people who automatically subscribe to the theory that filler shouldn't exist and is terrible, but I do realize that most of it falls into the "awful" category. However, I believe that anime is a different conduit into a world, and if it's a world I love I'm happy to have more stories in it.

"Power" is absolutely off to a great start, I thought episode one looked nice, told a compelling (if simple / obvious) story, and introduced some new characters who I found immediately endearing while bringing back a few I'm always happy to see. Hope the rest holds up!

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Why do fillers always have to be about kids? That shit is even more annoying in anime than it is in real life.

GlassBox

Banned
Very enjoyable episode. It is sad though that this kind of quality in the art/animation is the exception and not the rule on the show. Really puts most of the past year, and the entire War arc so far, to great shame.
MvFwv.gif

aX1iy.gif

And what do you know, Hidan showed up after all. Hope he gets his crazy personality back in the future though:
fxTby.gif

Ep 291
power_by_tristtrist-d5mm7oh.gif

I think my only real issue with this special is just the timing of which it occurs. If it actually aired before the war arc then it would fit in perfectly in the context of the storyline of Naruto and the Nine Tailed Demon Fox.
considering to me that this plot seems like it is leading into a situation in which Naruto may lose control or that Kabuto's snakes and whatever secret this arc holds may affect Naruto internally, the snakes in this episode twice, snake scaring the girl, and Kabuto leaving once one entered Naruto

Snakes looked interested even if it was just a fleeting moment but beyond that the backstory is somewhat interesting and compelling. Really mainly interested in Naruto and then whatever the kids can contribute. Hot bath scene was hilarious and touching, though hilarious for whatever Naruto was showing them that they were so delighted in when he was standing up in the water and they were staring. Touching that the kids could laugh finally
losing their village and parents last episode :(

GlassBox

Banned
Episode was worth it for ball-kick-no-jutsu alone :D
6D17m.gif

45BF2.gif

Interesting episode otherwise. The art was pretty high quality, but it seems as though there were actually four animation supervisors for this episode:

Takahiro Chiba
Kumiko Horikoshi
Hirofumi Suzuki
Hiromi Okazaki

Toshiyuki Tsuru also assisted with both the Storyboard and Episode Direction, so clearly there's a big push to keep consistent quality between all episodes of this arc.

Power 3 (ep 292)
sakura_v_4_tails___by_tristtrist-d5nayxs.gif

Although there are annoying crying kids, there was nice bits of action and hilarious moments with Deidara and Hidan. So confused on the timing of when this would occur in canon timeline
they had Naruto shown in that biju nine tails chakra form, but he got that on the island before/during the war, so theres no way he could have had time to go on a mission with Sakura in between that...
. Kabuto still amazing and hope they do some other filler thing with him as antagonist yet again.

Preview:
Hope Kiba shows up with those other reinforcements and poor Naruto, did the snakes take out that much chakra?!

Just pretend it's an alternate universe. I find timing doesn't often matter to the creative staff when they're doing fillers, especially ones of the more ambitious variety.

GlassBox

Banned
Good to see Hidan's old personality back, and laughed at how he immediately got into a bitchy argument with Deidara, figures. Not happy their fight got cut off before it began.

Loved most of the episode except when they focus on the kids. Really wish they didn't devote so much time to them.

Next week's episode looks great with Team 10 and Team Guy coming in as reinforcements. I hope they battle more than just those random filler edo's. I guess the anime team likes Deidara a lot since they keep bringing him back in filler.

GlassBox

Banned
Well this sucks. According to the latest schedule, there's going to be a two-week break at the end of December/beginning of January, and it happens to correspond just before they air the final episode of the Chikara arc. Also animation directors have been tentatively announced (usually subject to some change)

12/13 - Chikara Episode 4
Animation Director - Toshiyuki Tsuru
Episode Director - Toshiyuki Tsuru
Storyboard - Toshiyuki Tsuru
Screenplay - Toshiyuki Tsuru

12/20 - Chikara Episode 5
Animation Director - Hirofumi Suzuki, Masayuki Kouda
Episode Director - Kazunori Mizuno
Storyboard - Kazunori Mizuno

12/27-1/3 - Break :(

1/10 - Chikara Finale
Animation Director - Hiroyuki Yamashita, Kengo Matsumoto
Episode Director - Toshiyuki Tsuru
Storyboard - Toshiyuki Tsuru

It's so weird to see Tsuru so involved in this project. Sadly, I fear that he probably won't be working on the show for a while after putting so much time in. Shame since he's clearly quite exceptional at promoting a high level of quality.

This filler has been surprisingly entertaining. I usually give up on them after 1 or 2 episodes but I'll be watching all of this one. Hopefully Hidan gets to shine, he's awesome.

Power 4 - (ep 293)
rock_lee_and_guy_v_4_tails_by_tristtrist-d5nzp5d.gif

Pretty awesome start to the episode with everyone
too bad of course its meaningless since the tailed beast clone took Naruto's chakra and became a faux nine tails, poor Kabuto almost losing control

Otherwise I still like the kids involvement though
incest between the "brother" and sister caring for them.

GlassBox

Banned
Great opening scene. Some of the best action I've seen in a while. Too bad the story is getting bogged down with these sub tales of the kids and the fat guy and girl that aren't really adding anything.

And Hidan needs to be seen more:
wPDPF.jpg

Pachimari

I love Naruto. Saw the first few episodes a while ago. I loved the Ultimate Storm games and I miss me some cartoons. Is Naruto Unleashed 1 worth it for the £30? Or should I start with Shippuden?

GlassBox

Banned
zkB9o.gif

Some good parts during this episode, but still felt disjointed. Not happy that Hidan is already done with.

But guess what, we're back to regular programming after this arc is over in January!
January 10 - Chikara episode Final
January 17 - Naruto Joins the War!!
January 24 - A Father's Feelings, A Mother's Love
January 31 - They Finally Meet! Naruto vs. Itachi!
Unfortunately, it's a three-week wait until the last Chikara episode. Then even worse, we'll probably see a huge decrease in quality from this arc, with no doubt a lot of backlogged Korean-outsourced episodes to tide us over.

Then, a lot of fan backlash once that happens, aka. "why you spend so much resources animating filler instead of these fights!?"

Echoplx

I'd probably give up if I was still watching the anime, I'm close to giving up on the manga as it is, everything's going downhill.

C-Drive

I'd probably give up if I was still watching the anime, I'm close to giving up on the manga as it is, everything's going downhill.

I coldn't really stomach the animation change when the time skip happened, though I had stopped with the filler episodes earlier. I doubt I'll give up the manga, I have to see the story through to the end.

GlassBox

Banned
Some interesting and possibly good news revealed today. It seems that the anticipated Naruto Movie 10 will not be released in 2013, but instead in 2014.
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/naruto/movie14/index.html
So this likely means no movie production this year, or at least, a likely reduced effort in terms of manpower. Could be good news for folks who were wondering about events about to be animated which were quite exciting in the manga.

I actually like this filler arc, granted I watched them in a burst so to me its just sorta like a movie but still I imagined I'd dread trying to just 'get through it' before going in.

The first episode was a bit confusing but since then its been really awesome animation and some pretty cool bits.

Still filler is filler so its meaningless in the long run, but its better than I was expecting - and I can handle short fillers ok.

I'm really excited for the real stuff to get back going again. :D

Pein

Banned
Actually, with the prospect of no Movie, no fillers, and just sticking to manga content for 2013, then Sakura's VA could take a yearlong vacation without being missed. She's had zero presence in any recent manga events.

She really could lol, but there's going to be filler lets not fool ourselves.

Chikara FINAL was awesome, though I have to admit to being a little sad seeing the animation quality plummet when they showed that next episode preview. If only the show could be animated like a film all the time...

I'd really love to know more about what prompted Chikara, though. It unequivocally was a marked improvement from just about all the filler they've ever done across both series. Did Pierrot just get fed up one day? Did they come into a ton of money or resources? It's not like this is the first time they didn't have a movie to work on so they just slotted one into the TV show, is it?

Ep 295
rasenshurikan_power_style_by_tristtrist-d5r2o6d.gif

Well I think that ultimately the previous episodes actually had the better fights, always one for human or human v humanoid (four tailed fox clone is humanoid, imo) are way more interesting that human v giants and what not. However the episode did have the awesome and epic Rasenshurikan (one of the ten best jutsus) and even more, though it fit in awkward with canon
the near nine tailed chakra mode part when he was all powering up shirt all open and etc was phenomenal especially his skill in it. They even had the best song on the ost playing making it feel all awesome and such. Its just hard to describe but its those key moments that make me really enjoy seeing Naruto be all cool and like the ultimate payoff for every arc

The other developments were nice
the bro sis marriage proposal in the crisis and then the kids stuff, Leo etc, and their Naruto onii-chan

I hope they plan to do more of these type of random specials again as this was really a blast and pretty memorable and at times really visually stunning.

Cant wait to get back to canon next week
Naruto on the battlefield

Man the filler was awesome, I really enjoyed it. If they have to do filler I hope they're all like this now.

Really did just feel like a decent Naruto movie but split and played as part of the TV show.

Now even more exciting, on to next week and back to real stuff. :D Whooooooo!

GlassBox

Banned
Well, it's looking like it's going to be as expected. After high quality production of the Chikara filler, we're going back to canon, and naturally, we're going outsourced!

I suppose the only interesting thing is the names seem to be varying a bit, so the teams might be composed differently than the way they were during last year. Dunno if that will affect quality or not.

January 17: 296. Naruto Joins the War!!
Episode Director: Jun Nakagawa
Storyboard: Shinji Satou
Animation Supervisor:Zenjirou Ukulele, Hong Beom-Seok

January 24: 297. A Father's Feelings, A Mother's Love
Episode Director: Mitsutaka Nooshitani
Storyboard: Yutaka Kagawa
Animation Supervisor: Hiroki Abe, Yasuhiko Kanezuka, Yūko Ishizaki

January 31: 298. Finally They Meet!! Naruto vs. Itachi
Episode Director: Sumito Sasaki
Storyboard: Junya Koshiba
Animation Supervisor: Zenjirou Ukulele, Mamoru Yokota

February 7: 299. The Person who is Acknowledged
Episode Director: Shigeharu Takahashi,Kiyomu Fukuda
Storyboard: Takayuki Inagaki
Animation Supervisor: Ik Hyun Eum
Sadly none of the most recent episodes that most of these names were involved in prior to Chikara were anything to write home about.

EDIT: As for the Chikara finale. Art/Animation-wise it was great, but that's about all. The finale ended so abruptly without much of any explanations/resolutions. Kabuto departs suddenly without any reason as to why he was doing these things and collaborating with that crazy old coot (who himself was quickly swapped like a fly and done with). The Power device was shut down, but have no idea what's going to become of it. The B-plot with the kids and incest couple (I know, not really, but I'll never understand the "brother/sister" relationship culture in Japan) definitely needed to be left out. But oh well.

I guess Tsuru isn't really a great writer. He apparently wrote the third original Naruto film which was apparently about an island vacation. :p

Christ...we are still on filler material? Someone wake my old ass up when the goods come back. Hopefully it's before the end of this month, as I haven't watched anything since the filler started.

Edit: You guys make me feel like I should check this last filler section out...

ghstwrld

The end of Chikara is so dry.

Naruto gets to be the best at the expense of everyone else. Everything's falling apart, homegirl's hanging over the edge for like ten minutes while the rest of Team Seven's running around, doing pretty much nothing of value, and all of their friends disappear into thin air. I can't...

The purpose of Kabuto is...what? He shows zero interest in the chakra monster-machine thingy once it's actually unlocked.

The end of Chikara is so dry.

Naruto gets to be the best at the expense of everyone else. Everything's falling apart, homegirl's hanging over the edge for like ten minutes while the rest of Team Seven's running around, doing pretty much nothing of value, and all of their friends disappear into thin air. I can't...

The purpose of Kabuto is...what? He shows zero interest in the chakra monster-machine thingy once it's actually unlocked.
I thought kabuto was using this arc as a test for edo tensei?

ant1532

Banned
mind boggling that the art direction and higher quality animation is used during the filler arc and not for the actual story.

anyways new chapter was pretty shweet

Speaking of the new chapter, even though this is an anime thread... anyone sign up for Shonen Jump Alpha? It goes simultaneous with Japan with its next issue (and drops the Alpha tag), so hopefully the Naruto scanlations dry up completely. I subscribed; it's pretty good so far even with the (current) week delay.

VariantX

Well, it's looking like it's going to be as expected. After high quality production of the Chikara filler, we're going back to canon, and naturally, we're going outsourced!

I suppose the only interesting thing is the names seem to be varying a bit, so the teams might be composed differently than the way they were during last year. Dunno if that will affect quality or not.

Sadly none of the most recent episodes that most of these names were involved in prior to Chikara were anything to write home about.

EDIT: As for the Chikara finale. Art/Animation-wise it was great, but that's about all. The finale ended so abruptly without much of any explanations/resolutions. Kabuto departs suddenly without any reason as to why he was doing these things and collaborating with that crazy old coot (who himself was quickly swapped like a fly and done with). The Power device was shut down, but have no idea what's going to become of it. The B-plot with the kids and incest couple (I know, not really, but I'll never understand the "brother/sister" relationship culture in Japan) definitely needed to be left out. But oh well.

I guess Tsuru isn't really a great writer. He apparently wrote the third original Naruto film which was apparently about an island vacation. :p

oh that movie with the traveling circus. literally the worst of all the movies ever made from that franchise.

Speaking of the new chapter, even though this is an anime thread... anyone sign up for Shonen Jump Alpha? It goes simultaneous with Japan with its next issue (and drops the Alpha tag), so hopefully the Naruto scanlations dry up completely. I subscribed; it's pretty good so far even with the (current) week delay.

Yeah had it since the start, like how crisp and detailed SJAlpha's manga panels are. Stuff be way more detailed and vibrant.

Agreed! It's really nice! I'm glad some new series are starting too, so I don't feel like I subscribed just for Naruto (even though I did). Once they update their app for iPhone 5 I can say I'll be fully satisfied with my subscription.

tumblr_mgrt9f8ty31r90a6io1_250.gif
tumblr_mgrt9f8ty31r90a6io4_250.gif

So many new Rasengans, or at least they all looked pretty epic in their usages, though short. May have to add them to my list of the top 10 best Rasengan's jutsus. The new ending theme is pretty good, guess unlike the naruto sd animators, these still prefer to give us many good Sasuke Naruto moments (Naruto having a Sasuke doll, and highlighting their moments from part 1).

Pein

Banned

I've been subscribed for a year now, love the quality. So convenient to read manga on my ipad. I also subscribed for basically naruto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom