• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden |OT| The Filler Chronicles (Anime Only! No manga spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mh4tl9DJmb1qgap4ho3_r1_500.gif

Although was filled with backstory weve seen quite a bit before, really well done fight. Was always one of my favorite of the least actiony oriented ones in the arc, and who wouldnt want even more Gaara screentime.

Watched the Pain arc and a little more than that, stopped watching for a year due to filler, come back and might watch like 15 episodes before I catch up to filler again.

feels bad man

GlassBox

Banned
297 was ok. A lot of people were probably disappointed that Gaara fighting his Dad was just as underwhelming and short as it was in the manga. The flashbacks weren't that terrible since it'd been a while since Gaara's back-story had been talked about.

It really sucks though that the next two episodes are going to be badly animated by outsourced teams.

Anyway, the February schedule is out:
February 7: 299. The Ones Who Are Acknowledged
February 14: 300. The Mizukage, a Giant Clam, and Mirages
February 21: 301. Contradiction
February 28: 302. Fear - Jokey Boy
And yes, 302 is canon. The Kanji behind the Jokey Boy translation can also be translated to "Steam Danger Violence" or Viz's "Steam Imp". Jokey Boy is likely an homage to the animated film Steamboy. It would actually be nice to get a good stylized animator behind that one.

I really hate how they are just running through all of these awesome characters. This should have been a real battle. Are they trying to show how much better the ninjas have gotten or what?

GlassBox

Banned
Well, the only ninja that was soundly beaten was Gaara's dad since his powers were pretty much useless now compared to what Gaara has become. I'm not sure about the other two, I mean, they barely shown any abilities, especially that Mizukage troll guy, so I doubt they're done for. Plus the schedule pretty much confirms that.

Anyway, it was nice hearing some of the music that hasn't been used since the Minato/Kushina special.

naruto_universal_pull_by_tristtrist-d5tcmlm.gif

Really awesome episode. Love the Itachi Naruto moments and then Sasuke being their topic of discussion, save him Naruto and bring him back, help paint this canvas a good colour. Im glad it covered at least two chapters, I still remember reading this scene it looked so much better and kind of a bit more disgusting animated.

GlassBox

Banned
Animation was bleh, but that was expected because of bad outsourced Korean teams.
narutita_by_unityark-d5tdif4.gif

This was really the only semi-decently produced part, and it was just barely passable.

Next week will probably be more of the same.

Am I the only one that watches this at like 5 or 6 am?

tumblr_mhutczkllI1qf2huro1_500.gif

Naruto's reaction to Itachi asking him the question of how he managed to escape the Planetary Devastation (since he said it meant certain death) was hilarious. Really fun and good episode for this event. Bee feels pretty useless.

Am I the only one that watches this at like 5 or 6 am?

tumblr_mhutczkllI1qf2huro1_500.gif

Naruto's reaction to Itachi asking him the question of how he managed to escape the Planetary Devastation (since he said it meant certain death) was hilarious. Really fun and good episode for this event. Bee feels pretty useless.
Yes, yes you are. But it's cool, I'm jealous your schedule allows that! It's my go-to Thursday lunchtime viewing.

Itachi literally has everything covered. On another note, if someone could pull all of the people trapped in that sword out and use them, they could do some serious damage.

Didn't think of that.

Great, another way they can recycle characters.

lol, it's only a matter of time.

Also, I'm a bit confused. Is Itachi alive or not right now? He seems completely free from the reanimation jutsu, and is going to act on his own. Is he "immortal" or something at this point?

In my opinion, absolutely not. Nothing has even come close, though that was completely diluted when Kishimoto hit the reset button. Such a shame.
I used to watch during lunchtime but now my computer is facing like the center of the busiest walkway...so Ive moved to watching it right before work every thursday, naruto sd too.
I feel sorry for the prudes in your office! They should be right beside you enjoying Naruto during lunch!

Pein

Banned
Cool. Thanks. Can't wait to see what happens in the coming eps. Pain destroying the village in such a decisive manner(cratering it out) was actually a moment of slight disbelief. Does the next arc top that?

Some crazy fights are up ahead for Sasuke.

In my opinion, absolutely not. Nothing has even come close, though that was completely diluted when Kishimoto hit the reset button. Such a shame.

I feel sorry for the prudes in your office! They should be right beside you enjoying Naruto during lunch!

you didn't like sasuke vs the kages or Danzo!?
while not as good as Naruto and Pain it was still pretty dope.

Nope. Not a fan of the war arc at all, to be honest. Edo tensei and shortened versions of fights we've already seen (or slight variations) and characters we've long since moved past is just lazy storytelling. I want new things.

Nope. Not a fan of the war arc at all, to be honest. Edo tensei and shortened versions of fights we've already seen (or slight variations) and characters we've long since moved past is just lazy storytelling. I want new things.

There's new characters yet to being introduced, now it's when the war gets good.

Cwarrior

For those who've forgotten, Toshiyuki Tsuru has been responsible for these episodes (usually paired with Hirofumi Suzuki) in Shippuuden:

Episode 1 - Intro (Storyboard)
Episode 82 - Angsty Shikamaru (Storyboard/Director/Screenplay)
Episode 85 - Hidan and Kakuzu brawl (Storyboard/Director/Screenplay)
Episode 123 - Sasuke vs. Deidara (Storyboard/Director/Screenplay)
Episode 166 - Hinata vs. Pain (Storyboard/Director/Screenplay)

So yeah, it has been a while since he's done anything on the show. Having him supervise all six episodes of the "Chikara" arc is quite something.

Ep85 is the best episode of shippuden, Team shikamaru & kakashi vs hidan and kakuza.

My fav is still the Kakashi vs Pain ep. Damn the animation in that fight was so buttery smooth. A different style(more computed it seems) than something such as Hinata vs Pain, but both are really awesome. I just love the fluidity and "camera" of that one in particular.

There's new characters yet to being introduced, now it's when the war gets good.
I'm a SJ subscriber and manga reader, so I'll just respectfully disagree.
Anyone else watch rock lee and his ninja pals? that show is legitimately funny.
I love it. It shouldn't be as fun as it is! Like, from the premise it should just be this awful cash-in but it's a consistent great time! Total guilty pleasure.

ant1532

Banned
edit:
i didnt mean to post in this thread. i was showing my friend how to do spoiler tags and than i accidentally clicked post instead of preview post. if you don't read the manga, don't look about my avatar. sorry if you did.

Dereck

I don't understand, so is Sasuke still being a little shit, is he evil? Still wanting revenge? I don't understand his stance, what is he doing right now?

I'm referring to the latest manga chapter.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't understand, so is Sasuke still being a little shit, is he evil? Still wanting revenge? I don't understand his stance, what is he doing right now?

I'm referring to the latest manga chapter.

To be honest, I think Kishi has done a subpar job with writing Sasuke ever since he first went crazy and they put such a huge emphasis on how important Naruto's battle with Sasuke was and that nothing else mattered.

Now? Sasuke is really just sidelined, Naruto hasn't really thought about him much in a serious way for a while, the main villains are Obito and Madara, and the effect Naruto had and his serious tone dropped considerably and went back into his goofy tone.

Sasuke on the other hand went from completely insane and deadset on his actions, to the point he was about to kill Sakura if they didn't intervene, and he was going to (try) to kill them all. He meets his brother and instantly becomes 'normal' Sasuke again out of the blue, his craziness from before vanished and he hasn't shown any sign of it. No evil laughter, nothing. Now Sasuke is apparently trying to see if his answer is 'correct', but it really doesn't add up with how Kishi was writing him and the significance of the whole thing and all that time Naruto was chasing after him.

He most likely is going to turn good, and to answer your question directly, he's trying to find himself.

SykoTech

I had forgotten how useless Naruto seemed against this encounter with Nagato.

It was like he was ready to just give up once planetary devastation got started. Did he forget that he could control some of that Nine-Tails chakra that saved him from it last time? Or that Bee has full control over his tailed beast? Or that Itachi, being a remember of the Akatsuki, must have been capable of strength that could take down a tailed beast? Seriously.

Kokonoe

Banned

It was like he was ready to just give up once planetary devastation got started. Did he forget that he could control some of that Nine-Tails chakra that saved him from it last time? Or that Bee has full control over his tailed beast? Or that Itachi, being a remember of the Akatsuki, must have been capable of strength that could take down a tailed beast? Seriously.

Plot really, same reason Team Guy wasn't there in the attack on Konoha.

or
how Zetsu was referring to Obito as Madara when thinking to himself so many times before the reveal.

GlassBox

Banned
Episode 299

All things considered, this episode could have been a lot worse. Especially when you consider the pedigree of this team and how they're mostly known for works like the Gai vs Kisame and Ninja Mom's episodes. :p

Of course, there were definitely some bad shots in the ep, in particular the wtf synced flashback of Itachi sealing Orochimaru (someone was clearly asleep in After Effects or whatever program they use) and the super long Naruto friends stuff.

But there were also some good shots that were much better than this teams usual style.

nagato_by_unityark-d5ud9m3.gif

chibakutenseidestroyed_by_unityark-d5ud8tp.gif

farewell_by_unityark-d5ud923.gif

But yeah, anything after seeing what the studio was capable of with the Chikara filler arc was going to be disappointing, especially if one entertains the idea that they could have used that art/animation talent for these episodes.

Speaking of which, we've got an updated schedule and information for February into March:
February 14: 300. The Mizukage, a Giant Clam, and Mirages
Animation Director: Masaya Onishi
Episode Director: Shigeki Kawai
Storyboard: Satou shinji

February 21: 301. Contradiction

Animation Director: Hiroki Abe, Min-Seop Shin, Yuuko Ishizaki, Yasuhiko Kanezuka
Episode Director: Hisashi Ishii
Storyboard: Hisashi Ishii

February 28: 302. Fear - Jokey Boy
Animation Director: Kumiko Horikoshi
Episode Director: Kanryou Kishikawa
Storyboard: Yukihiro Matsushita (new)

March 7: 303. Ghosts of the Past
Animation Director: Masayuki Kouda
Episode Director: Kazunori Mizuno
Storyboard: Yukihiro Matsushta
Now BEFORE you get excited about Episode 303. The Summary released shows that it's going to be a filler:

"An unexpected enemy stands before Shikamaru, Neji, and Kiba. The enemy is the Sound Four resurrected by Edo Tensei, who once stood in their way of their mission to retrieve Sasuke. What is their goal?"

So yeah, looks like the studio is back to some filler, hopefully it will only last until the new opening in April.

Oh well, on the plus side. Next week we finally get so see...

q4kiTko.png

Tizoc

Could someone help me in 'understanding' something in regards to Akatsuki and the Masked Man?
I'm currently catching up in the manga starting from the Attack on Konoha, and wanted some things cleared up:
1- Has there ever been a main leader in Akatsuki?
2- Did the Masked Man create Akatsuki, or was that Nagato and Konan?
3- If the Masked Man was a member of Akatsuki from the start, but kept himself from working with the team, why did he reveal himself as the Tobi persona?

Could someone help me in 'understanding' something in regards to Akatsuki and the Masked Man?
I'm currently catching up in the manga starting from the Attack on Konoha, and wanted some things cleared up:
1- Has there ever been a main leader in Akatsuki?
2- Did the Masked Man create Akatsuki, or was that Nagato and Konan?
3- If the Masked Man was a member of Akatsuki from the start, but kept himself from working with the team, why did he reveal himself as the Tobi persona?

1- Nagato and Madara had being the two leaders of akatsuki
2- Madara said so when killing Konan but I think he more of persuaded, move strings.
3- Think of it as a secret lasagna. Only Nagato knew Madara was the real leader, the others didn't, they where getting short of members also. Because Kabuto gave Konoha oro's info about them.

Khezu

What's stupid about Cyborg Zombies?

Its not so much the cyborg powers that are terrible, it's just where he actually gets them from.

His magical eyes give him the power to turn into a robot, that is some 3rd tier X-men shit.
It actually managed to destroy my suspension of disbelief in a childrens cartoon about wizards pretending to be ninjas.

He doesn't turn into a robot. It's just advance puppetry like the one Sasori has. He use it to Modify one of Pains path and partially his own body. Assuming having God's eyes gives him the knowledge to do so, it doesn't seem as crazy.

I think Sasori basically being a living Salami was crazier.

Tizoc

1- Nagato and Madara had being the two leaders of akatsuki
2- Madara said so when killing Konan but I thing he more of persuaded, move strings.
3- Think of it as a secret lasagna. Only Nagato knew Madara was the real leader, the others didn't, they where getting short of members also. Because Kabuto gave Konoha oro's info about them.

OK thanks that makes it much easier to take in.

Pein

Banned
He doesn't turn into a robot. It's just advance puppetry like the one Sasori has. He use it to Modify one of Pains path and partially his own body. Assuming having God's eyes gives him the knowledge to do so, it doesn't seem as crazy.

I'd say having a sand shield powered by love is zanier than robot arm.

I don't get how he even remembers that attack. Doesn't he lose consciousness after the 4th tail appears? He reemerges standing on top of a massive boulder in the sky, not knowing how it was made. I guess that's why he couldn't really answer Itachi though.

Khezu

It's still weird because Nagato was not a living puppet like Sasori, so having his eyes give him the power to turn into a puppet is still crazy.

The rinnegan itself is really stupid, its a hodgepodge of random powers pulled out of a hat, I know what Kishi was trying to go for with the whole buddhist realm thing or w/e, and in concept its neat. However Asura realm is just so out there compared to the others.

Also I'm still not so sure what was so special about Animal Realm, do those summons come with the eyes? Like could Tobi now summon the immortal dog?

Hyuuga magic eyes are still the best, because they make sense, and haven't suffered power inflation.

Madao

i don't remember well but are the Rinnegan's powers explained at some point in the manga or anime? i feel like these powers haven't received the proper screen time.

Khezu

I don't remember any, just kinda vague assumptions by other people.

Another power that was kinda stupid, Hell realm, sure the healing stuff was nice, but it also had the power to tell if someone was lying, but if they were it kills them, so you can't really get any info out of them.

Not to mention if it has the power to heal people, why couldn't Nagato just enter its mouth and fix his busted ass legs?

Madao

I don't remember any, just kinda vague assumptions by other people.

Another power that was kinda stupid, Hell realm, sure the healing stuff was nice, but it also had the power to tell if someone was lying, but if they were it kills them, so you can't really get any info out of them.

Not to mention if it has the power to heal people, why couldn't Nagato just enter its mouth and fix his busted ass legs?

maybe the person needs to be dead for that to work. wouldn't be possible if he kills himself.

that's why an explanation would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom