• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Well, and that's the glory of it all. People are never forced to buy the Adventure Packs. For those who want to extend the life of each Skylanders game, it would be an awesome way to keep the game fresh until the next game comes out.

At the same time, those who don't want to pony up for additional Adventure Packs, can just leave them be and save money.

I have a friend I just got into the game. He doesn't want anything but the dragons. He doesn't feel compelled to get the Adventure Packs, whereas I would be all over them like white on rice.

So far all of them are garbage. They ruin each one with some gimmick, the pirate card game, the dragon flying, etc. They also have no good xp or loot. The only thing they are good for is a special attack during a level. It seems to me if you want to play the level, you just have to barrow the toy, once it is used it is always available from the menu. I'm more interested in the arenas, that is where the fun is.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Well, I've always liked the variety Skylanders throws in its levels. If it isn't piloting an Arkeyan Copter, you're piloting an Arkeyan Robot, a Catapult to take down a fortified wall, flying on the back of Flavius, and Driving a Pirate Ship to take down a fortress.

It helps set this game apart from Gauntlet Legends and the other dungeon-crawling style games.

I do think further Adventure Packs should be as long as levels were in Giants, but each Skylander game overall should have as many chapters as the first game had (22 story chapters). I want - no I hope - to see 22 story chapters per game, if not slightly more, and 6 Adventure Packs per game, and this series would be a masterpiece.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I just wanted to throw something out about something we all touched on yesterday. Someone here mentioned Skylanders not having a deep PVP.

I wanted to clarify just how deep it can be once played with in depth.

For this clarification, I will post a link to a topic on Gamefaqs.com, where my friend Ross always does infepth analysis of all characters for PVP.

I would post it here, but it is uber long. Plus, if Ross ever signs up here, maybe he can post his analysis here for everyone else to take into consideration, should they ever get to playing with other people (locally or HOPEFULLY ONLINE... someday).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/666531-skylanders-giants/65278961

PVP is actually really deep. My friend and his wife hosted a Skylanders tournament at his house when he used to live down the street from me. I brought my 10 year old son and his collection, and we did a 11 character hat draw tournament, which ended up taking around 3 hours, due to how much strategy we put into our play styles.

This game seriously needs online.

RkOwnage

The PVP has potential, but honestly I want online co-op first. I moved to Orlando in July, and I don't live near my good buddies who I game with anymore, and most of them are wanting to try Skylanders, so I'd like some online option that gives me the ability to play co-op with them. PVP will come with time, but online is the next big step this franchise needs.

Zing

Banned
Nabbed the two new Giants today. They just hit Canada late last week, but seem to be coming in decent quantities. TRU had a dozen cases. Microplay had around 10 cases. EB Games is the outlier with only one case.

Now we just need Hot Dog, but I assume we won't see that until after Feb 9, when the US GameStop exclusivity expires. I am also still waiting for the Prism Break triple pack.

AgentP

I like PvP, but some characters are just unbalanced. My mission was to beat Terrafin, which is not trivial. I managed to beat my son using Bash, but he ran into some spikes at the end when I had 8 life and he had like 13.

Another fun thing is trying winning any fight with that useless blue worm named Wrecking Ball.

fernoca

Anyone willing to trade PS3 copies of Skylanders, Skylanders Giants, (2) Tree Rex, S2 Cynder (along their respective cards/stickers/whatever) [no portal, since the wireless dongle is missing, but if you have a wireless dongle and no portal I'll throw the portal too]... for a Hot Dog and a Series 2 Hex? (both with the card and stickers at least?)

The only two ones I'd really like. I just want thsoe 2 figures to play on the Wii U/3DS since those are the ones I wanted the most. But can't find them anywhere in here. :(

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Well, it seems people who are lucky enough to live in NYC can go to the TRU in Times Square next Tuesday and be among the first to get a free Ninjini in celebration of the New York Toy Fair.

Scalpers everywhere are rejoicing... for shame.

For those playing Lost Islands, there's a limited in-game Cupid Flameslinger available which can either be bought with 1500 gems or obtained as a random prize from the new in-game Willy's Wishing Well. Cupid Flameslinger only available through Feb28th.

Some screens:

8434694878_c2ef925721_z.jpg

8434695104_0fa49e0395_z.jpg

8434695290_f552060646_z.jpg

8434694524_1c2501ec31_z.jpg

8433621229_390b0c7fd3_z.jpg

BooJoh

Four new domain names were just registered for Skylanders.

SkylandersKaosAlliance.com
SkylandersNanoForce.com
SkylandersSuperForce.com
SkylandersSwapForce.com

My guess is that the ones ending in "Force" may be new figure types, while Kaos Alliance could be a game name or a line of "bad guy" figures.

Source: http://darkspyro.net/news/72983/

jainasky

Neo Member
You are very lucky GameMaster, I've been to several stores and none of them look like yours. My Walmart has a lot of figures but it's mostly the same 4 over and over. They have a couple cases and the starter packs. That's it. The majority of the figures I get are online usually if I luck out at gamestop.com or I find them on amazon.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
So, a friend of mine in Wisconsin got me this from a Gamestop that was closing down. I assembled it for picture purposes and added it to my collection photos a few posts back.

DSCN0210_zps5d640cbe.jpg

I won't be able to use that for my collection until I get a bigger house, which I hope is sometime soon.

fernoca

Update to:
fernoca said:
Anyone willing to trade PS3 copies of Skylanders, Skylanders Giants, (2) Tree Rex, S2 Cynder (along their respective cards/stickers/whatever) [no portal, since the wireless dongle is missing, but if you have a wireless dongle and no portal I'll throw the portal too]... for a Hot Dog and a Series 2 Hex? (both with the card and stickers at least?)

The only two ones I'd really like. I just want thsoe 2 figures to play on the Wii U/3DS since those are the ones I wanted the most. But can't find them anywhere in here. :(

Well...
Found Hot Dog at a Gamestop (Battle Pack)!

And Hex is coming too from Amazon!! :)

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Grats on the Hot Dog, Fern.

You know, I got to thinking. When the first Skylanders came out, there were reps showing off the game here in my city.

With Disney Infinity coming out, I wish I could get a job going around the stores here educating people on why Skylanders will be better. Things like Infinity not allowing permanent stat boosts to characters, but rather, they have to have discs applied to them to temporarily boost stats.

Anytime I'm in my local TRU looking at Skylanders, someone always happens to walk up and show curiosity in the game. They look at me and say, "Do you know anything about Skylanders?" I say, "Oh, yeah." They ask questions, but I go a bit deeper, and they end up buying a copy of the game (one person bought both games) and some figures. Another sell for Skylanders, and I don't even work at TRU.

I know Skylanders doesn't have online play so far - and I say that because they COULD bring online to Skylanders 3 - but in my eyes Infinity isn't the better product, due to making figures only work in their respective worlds unless you're playing building worlds, and you don't get permanent stat boosts, AND each 6 hour experience from playsets, might not be the style of game you like, but you can't demo them before you buy them, thus you may be stuck with a playset with a style of play you don't like.

Katzii

I don't see why it's such an issue that a product with similar technology is coming out. Skylanders isn't a religion and doesn't need to be "preached" to people; they can make up their own minds whether they want to play either or both.

As long as they learn from Activision's mistakes and actually make the toys available (despite being out here, I'm not counting on getting either Thumpback or Eye Brawl for a good month or more).

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Well, that's the thing. Naturally there is now competition. Competition means customers can one way, or both.

If Skylander fans decide to play brand fanboy and buy Disney Infinity just because it has the word "Disney" slapped on it, that means the chances are there for customers to leave Skylanders.

Without money, Skylanders can't go on. So, ActiBob needs to try and 1up the competition, in order to keep people buying Skylanders. How do I think they can do that?

1: Make sure figures never raise higher than 9.99, 11.99, 14.99, and 24.99.
2: Add online CO-OP and PVP.
3: Make Nightmare Mode accessible from the get-go.
4: Keep people wanting to play month after month with new Adventure Packs.
5: Keep toys plentiful during all months of the year.

If they do number 5 alone, people will get frustrated with never finding Infinity characters, but see an ample supply of landers on the shelf, so they will naturally feel like it's easier to get into, because the worry of massive sellouts isn't there.

I wouldn't mind seeing an even more difficult mode than Nightmare added to Skylanders: Kaos Alliance. Impossible mode would be sweet.

I was thinking ahead to the next Skylanders game and I think Activision/TFB have a massive headache in terms of what toys they release next. In order to keep the existing owners buying toys, they need to produce enough new figures while at the same time doing something to existing characters to keep them fresh. Then they have to manage the demand for Giant size figures and the whole Series 1/Series 2 angle (would we get Series 3). Someone suggested that this time we'll get enemy figures, which makes a lot of sense, as it resolves a number of these headaches, but I have to wonder if we'll see new or reposed Giants. My current thought would be reposed Series 2 Giants + Skylanders that didn't get a Series 2 version in Giants + Enemies, which may include Dark Versions of Skylanders. Some of those would be LightCore.

What do you think we'll get this time out?

BooJoh

S2 Giants characters, way too many reposes, variants, special editions, store exclusives, system bundles, and horribly low stock of any actual new characters.

If they do release S2 versions of Giants characters with Wow Pow and path changing, they're practically telling fans not to buy the first version of any character anymore. They've set a precedent where the only advantage is getting the character earlier, as opposed to waiting and buying the superior version that's shelf-warming because everyone already bought that character's first version.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I was thinking ahead to the next Skylanders game and I think Activision/TFB have a massive headache in terms of what toys they release next. In order to keep the existing owners buying toys, they need to produce enough new figures while at the same time doing something to existing characters to keep them fresh. Then they have to manage the demand for Giant size figures and the whole Series 1/Series 2 angle (would we get Series 3). Someone suggested that this time we'll get enemy figures, which makes a lot of sense, as it resolves a number of these headaches, but I have to wonder if we'll see new or reposed Giants. My current thought would be reposed Series 2 Giants + Skylanders that didn't get a Series 2 version in Giants + Enemies, which may include Dark Versions of Skylanders. Some of those would be LightCore.

HOPEFULLY, all we get when it comes to reposes, are reposed Series 1 figures that didn't get Series 2 figures in Giants.

I think there should be -

16 Newlanders
16 Villains
8 Series 2

And whatever else they have planned with this whole Swap/Super/Nano Force.

They HAVE to bring back Adventure Packs if they want to keep up with Infinity, because they plan multiple new playsets, WITH 6 HOURS of content for just 10 dollars more, with each game.

They need to make the game as long or longer than the first game, while also making the levels as long as they were in Giants. They can't afford to be lazy or it's going to hurt them.

The game needs online as well. It's like Infinity heard the cries of Skylanders fans who were begging for online play. Those who invest in Infinity will get it. If Kaos Alliance doesn't add online, that's gonna be one massive punch in the face to ActiBob, because those wishing to play these style of games online, will straight flock to Infinity without hesitation.

Also, they need to stop with the whole Series thing. They need to just make it so the existing figures you own, can gain new moves in each new game, while also raising the level cap, and making the game harder to tailor to the stat increases, which they need to allow Skylanders to break the 100 cap in stats.

I always had a theory that maybe Series 2 exists, because they didn't make Series 1 figures capable of gaining new moves in each new game, so they made Series 2 to replace Series 1, and they are futureproof, thus gaining new moves in each game.

Orca

All the Disney versus Skylanders talk made me think about it this weekend while I went to five different places in Edmonton looking for ones my kids wanted that still haven't arrived where I live at all. If Disney does a good job of getting figures out so there aren't these ridiculous shortages and have set release schedules not ambiguous 'waves' of releases, I'll have no problem switching over to that line entirely. The kids like the properties anyway, and they really - REALLY - prefer being able to actually get something they want.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Still not having any luck finding Thumpback and Eye Brawl in Canada, Orca?

They're out there. However, I have an extra Eye Brawl and Thumpback I was holding for a friend who said he would be over early last week, and hasn't contacted me or anything.

So, as far as I'm concerned, it's open game on these.

16 bucks each, plus 15 shipping. I say 15, when I only charged you 11 for shipping on that Hot Dog pack, because I forgot to take in the cost of the box, tape, and shipping was actually more. It ended up costing me 19 to ship the figures, instead of 11.

However, I will take 15 no matter what, even though it would probably be 19 again. :(

IMG_0326_zps0adc1f01.jpg

There they are. Just chillin' in my closet waiting for a home outside of a dark closet.

I do agree, though. If Disney manages to keep shelves stocked and releases figures in a timely fashion, that's going to hurt ActiBob big time.

I hate knowing that people are getting the chance to own Ninjini tomorrow, and they will most likely be scalped on Ebay, instead of used, while we - as true fans - sit here and twiddle our thumbs as we wait "MONTHS" before she is released everywhere else. :(

It's like someone holding up Ninjini to us fans saying, "Hey, looky at this. You want this, don't ya? TOO BAD!" *slaps true Skylanders fans in the face* "SIXTY-BUCKS!" *scalper throws smoke pellet and disappears like a ninja*

That's how I honestly feel right now. Knowing that 24 hours from 3pm CST time today, people will be handed Ninjini figures, and the rest of us are left to wait.

It's very frustrating. Then, there's the worrying about IF I will be able to get all ingame variants, like Polar Whirlwind, Molten Hot Dog, Jade Flashwing, and Scarlet Ninjini. I bought 4 of the past 4 ingame variants, with the notion I will have access to 4 of the remaining 4. Something tells me, though, that 1 of the remaining 4 will be tied to something like Frito-Lay or a convention, which will make said figure heavily scalped.

But, yeah. If Infinity doesn't make it such a hassle to get all of the figures, or put figures in front of your face and say "wait MONTHS before you can get this," then I can see that being an issue for ActiBob.

On another note, I did have an idea I posted on Darkspyro.net, about new Magical Items for game 3. I love Magical Items, but like Giants being so short, so were the amount of Magical Items.

I hope in Kaos Alliance, we see a lot more Magical Items, as well as new Adventure Packs.

So, what are my ideas for at least 8 Magical Items?

Spell Punk Magical Items. They would look like they do in the first game, which were just recolors of one another. How awesome would it be to own all 8 of them, which basically makes for a theme of Spell Punk figures.

Here is what they would do -

Life: Follows the player, healing them for a duration of 45 seconds
Magic: Launches magic attacks at enemies for 60 seconds
Fire: Gives your Skylander fire properties, allowing Skylanders to leave behind fire trails. This magical item has a timer of 20 seconds
Water: Launches ice projectiles that freeze enemies on contact. This magical item has a timer of 30 seconds
Tech: Creates a Cog Shield that circles the player, allowing NO DAMAGE (unlike Sky Iron Shield) to that Skylander for a duration of 30 seconds
Undead: Casts a spell on all enemies on the screen. A huge ghostly head would fill the screen and let out an ominous laughter, causing enemies to slow down. The effect lasts until all enemies on the current screen are dead, or for a duration of 20 seconds. Spell Punk disappears after 1 time use.
Air: Hurls homing tornadoes at enemies for a duration of 30 seconds
Earth: Creates Earth-formed spike that come up from the ground. This magical item has a timer of 20 seconds

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN! I have always dreamed of owning Spell Punk figures. Even though they are recolors of the same kind of enemy, they all look so cool.

On another note, about online. I think ActiBob needs to make Skystones playable online in future games, while adding more Skystones to the current roster of 80. I think it would be cool if you could unlock the Skystones you obtained in previous games, in all future games, so you can keep the collection building. It has the potential for serious fun when played against others. You would unlock your Skystones from previous games, on the new games, by simply having a save file from previous games.

AgentP

Can anyone comment on the difficulty of the platinum trophy for Giants? I look like I'm close, but not sure which of the remaining ones are hard, which is the hardest trophy? I was expecting for one to be get 3 stars on all levels, but I only saw the one for just one level which I did.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I haven't gotten all of the trophies/achievements in Giants yet, but I haven't really tried. It wasn't hard on the first game.

If anyone at TFB is reading this, I had an excellent idea that I posted on Darkspyro.net.

There is a way to help us Skylanders fan kill time while waiting for each new KAOS story-driven installment of Skylanders.

Why not release 2 games a year? One in October, which brings new figures to the table, and one in April, that allows you to use currently released and previous figures.

The games each April could be called, "Skylanders: Tales of Skylands." It would be a stand alone disc, and each year's Skylanders: TOS could contain around 15-16 levels (while making each KAOS installment 22-26 levels).

No new figures would be released for Skylanders: Tales of Skylands.

Tales of Skylands is an excellent way to build up the lore surrounding Skylands, as the Skylanders would be tasked with taking on tasks around Skylands. It's basically an expansion disc of side stories about the rest of Skylands and how the Skylanders protect it by meeting the needs of those in trouble through various threats.

I look at the bios and Story Scrolls from past games and see there is some lore established.

For instance, one level could be based on Wham Shell's underwater kingdom, which had been raided by Driller Trolls. The Skylanders have to go through the kingdom and defeat the trolls as they make their way to the Troll General, in order to restore the kingdom to its previous - inhabitable - nature.

Another level, could see the Skylanders returning to Dragon's Peak in order to help Ramses and Flavius reclaim the throne, after a power higher than Vathek took over the throne when Ramses and Flavius were out stretching their wings. This higher up breaks Vathek out of his petrified state, and the Skylanders would have to fight Vathek, followed by this higher up, to once again claim the throne and rid the Dragon's Peak of Vathek and his leader... once again.

One more story could have to do with the Skylanders traveling to the Island of Nevermore, an Undead themed level which starts you out in a graveyard, as you make your way through it, then a crypt, and a haunted forest, as you reach a haunted house, where a dictating ghost has taken the rest of the undead hostage, in order to fulfill his needs - or lack thereof.

The possibilities are endless. I, for one, would love to explore a lot of Skylands. I would like to see the places mentioned in Story Scrolls and Skylander bios. This is the best way to do it.

It's a really good way to get further use of purchased Skylander figures, and a good time killer until each new KAOS installment comes out each October. Maybe we could even see the return of Hektor and Frightbeard, but on a bigger screen.

Zing

Banned
I don't understand why you are so balls deep dedicated to a game that you just recently admitted to only playing for one week (first game) and two days ( second game). I thought you actually enjoyed the games and were playing them on a regular basis. You bought two sets of each figure so you could have characters fully upgraded on both paths. Did you really do this in only a week? Which part of the story is true and which is exaggerated?

I have always thought you were a dedicated fan, but now I am fairly sure that you have some sort of psychological disorder.

fernoca

Two reminders:

-Today, February 5th, apparently a new Skylander game will be announced.
-There wil be an event at the Toys R US in Times Square today, and Ninjini will be given away to people.

If anyone can hook me up with a Ninjini, I'd appreciate it. Though the most I can pay is $20 through Paypal. :p

zulux21

Not old. Heck, the reveal is in a few hours.
Sounds great, and different studio (Vicarious Visions) making the main game too.

More information here (and yep, the Skylanders can jump now! :p)

Thinking about posting it at the gaming side. :p

it will be nice being able to jump, it's always bothered me. I still need to get a few more figures though.. my skylanders collection is tiny (I don't even have all of the elements yet lol) but these new ones sound quite interesting, more flexibility with the characters won't be a bad thing.

Hmm, not sure what to make of the Swap Force announcement. That certainly wasn't what I was expecting at all. Initial reaction is that they've jumped the shark, but then I'm not 6yo, so my son might love this new concept. I think doing Series 3 Skylanders are a huge mistake for Activision commercially, but glad that all we need to play the new game is the game and a new portal.

I actually liked this swap concept, it would be fun to build and play with my 5 years old boy. But I really dislike that we are getting 16 new reposed characters (and in less extend also 8 new lightcores). It feels a cheap way to fill the roster, and turn the completeness of a collection a big expend. I understand that the old figures should be available for new gamers, but it could the the same old pose.

Due to a strong relation with the Disney brand (childhood memories) I really feel inclined to collect Infinity figures (yeah, the current roster does not appeal to me as much, but I hope for more classical characters in the near future).

Since I have all Spyro's Adventure basic/legendary figures and I am completing the same set for Giants (including all reposed and lightcore) it will be nice to continue the collection with Swap Force. However the reposed figures is a point against it. At least Activision should care to set the price right for the figures/sets, Giants was way too expensive in relation to Spyro's Adventure.

[Edited]
16 swap-force skylanders
16 new skylanders
16 reposed skylanders
8 lightcore skylanders

56 figures in the new game. Pretty expensive, specially if they continue to bundle new characters with old reposed in triple packs.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I actually... don't know if I like this.

They don't mention Kaos at all in this. TFB handed the reigns over to Vicarious Visions, who don't know how to make steady framerate games. The Wii U version of Giants kinda chugs, just like the first Skylanders game on 3DS.

Outside of that, though, it seems this is all set up for massive disappointment.

First off, it seems they're doing 16 more Series 2, when I was hoping they would do 8. There isn't any mention of Adventure Packs, so I have a feeling we're out 75 bucks for another short game.

I have a feeling that there won't be difficulty levels now.

Worst of all, it seems there is no online, so Infinity has this thing beat.

Man, this is such a bummer so far. TFB handed things over to VV? What was the logic behind that?

Man, this is such a bummer so far. TFB handed things over to VV? What was the logic behind that?

A game normally takes at least a 2 year dev cycle. So it is possible that Activision had splitted the franchise between TFB and VV to have an annual release.

First off, it seems they're doing 16 more Series 2, when I was hoping they would do 8. There isn't any mention of Adventure Packs, so I have a feeling we're out 75 bucks for another short game.
behind that?

That is my main grip: 16 series 3 skylanders is way too much. Actually, any series 3 figure will be already too much.

And you are right: no online, no adventure packs.

The cost of the game and complete set of characters sky rocketed.

Starter Pack = US$ 75
16 swap-force skylanders = US$ 240
16 new skylanders = US$ 192
16 reposed skylanders = US$ 192
8 lightcore = US$ 120

Or a total of US$ 819 before tax or scalpers....

GameMaster78

Neo Member
It really does bum me out that they are keeping this game offline. I want to play Battle Mode against others, especially adults, but they're keeping that from us. I wouldn't mind going through levels with people.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE that they haven't mentioned Adventure Packs, which leads me to believe they won't be in there.

WHY?! Why do Adventure Packs with the first game and drop the idea? The Location Item toys were awesome. The Magical Items were awesome. Now they're done? It's bull in my eyes.

Infinity now has two notches on their scorecard -

1: Multiple Playsets (their version of Adventure Packs) and each has SIX hours of gameplay.

2: Online.

If this game is short, so help me God... my head will explode.

EDIT: Guess there are new variants for the conventions. The German Toy Fair gave out a metallic blue Chop Chop. Wonder what the one for the NY Toy Fair will be?

Katzii

Eh, can probably take or leave this. I'm not going to get my knickers in a knot because it's been pretty apparent since the surprise success of the first game that they were going to milk it for everything they could, which is already apparent in Giants.

At least with Giants, they managed to bind the story somewhat cohesively with what they'd already introduced in the original; not exactly sure if they can do it again.

rcl66

Definetly seems like they jumped the shark with this. In the rush to make it an annual franchise they appear way to greedy. Reading the specifics at GiantBomb - 16 new Series 3 characters, new portal required... between Disney's game and a new generation of consoles I think I am done with Skylanders after Giants. Will be interesting to see if it keeps selling well with this "new" stuff.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Well, from what I read, this game had a longer development time than Giants, as VV was working on this at the same time TFB was working on Giants.

So, I think they're going to do the every other year a different developer (in this case VV) makes a game. This means that perhaps TFB will make Skylander games that are just as long as the first game, while giving us Adventure Packs again.

WE NEED ONLINE! :(

Forget about adventure packs. The way Skylander works requires that all the content should be already on the game disc (parents/childs will not bother to download extra stuff for their figures to work).

Since they are in a tighty schedule to make an annual game, the dev cycle is short. If Giansts is already a short game, imagine if you have to strip from it some levels to make adventure packs.

I wonder how Infinity will work with those limitations. Anyway I have decided to buy Infinity and some figures to test the water. If the game is good I think I will leave Skylanders behind, considering the next gen cost I will already have this year. In the best possible scenario I will buy just the swap figures.

RkOwnage

Well, from what I read, this game had a longer development time than Giants, as VV was working on this at the same time TFB was working on Giants.

So, I think they're going to do the every other year a different developer (in this case VV) makes a game. This means that perhaps TFB will make Skylander games that are just as long as the first game, while giving us Adventure Packs again.

WE NEED ONLINE! :(

I hate to burst your bubble, but the target audience of this game is children, they don't rush through the game as fast as we do, so keeping the target audience in mind, the length of the game is probably right where they want it...

and honestly, the same argument can be said about online. Why would Activision and their developers add features and keep up with them that their target audience probably wouldn't partake in.

BooJoh

The Swap Force concept seems kind of cool (I had previously thought of how cool it would be if someone used this technology to allow you to fully customize a figure's equipment and look and then play them ingame) but the oversaturation of figures is just past my tolerance level now.

With S:SA I went all out and got every character, plus legendaries. That's a lot of money.

By the time Giants came out, the prices had gone up but I only had 16 new characters to worry about and only got a few S2 characters and tried to avoid getting non-Lightcore versions if there was a LC available. I'm now 3 characters away from "completing" my Giants set.

But with 32 brand new characters (16 of which will no doubt have a higher MSRP,) plus a required new portal, we're looking at another $400+ just for the new characters, plus they announce Series 3 figures, which you know will be better ingame than Series 2, thus some of us will end up with 3-4 copies of one character, one of which is the definitive "best" version.

This diehard Skylanders fan is ready to jump off the wagon.

If their model going forward is simply to milk the franchise to make all the cash they can (and honestly the new characters so far don't really grab me) then my plan going forward is to wait until I can inevitably get the game for $60 or less, pick one or two of my favorite brand new characters, and play through it with those and my SA/Giants collection.

To me this announcement represents the loss of the soul of the series.

RkOwnage

I love how you guys act surprised that they're milking the franchise.

Activision. ACTIVISION - it stands for "Milk the hell out of a franchise, then take it out back and put two shotgun shells in it's head.

BooJoh

I love how you guys act surprised that they're milking the franchise.

Activision. ACTIVISION - it stands for "Milk the hell out of a franchise, then take it out back and put two shotgun shells in it's head.

I'm not really surprised. I knew it was inevitable but I still find it appalling, especially with a kids' franchise. I feel sorry for the parents out there who will have a harder time simply saying "We'll take this one in moderation" while their kids feel they absolutely need every new figure.

Surprise? No. Disgust? Yes. And I think we've earned the right to be disgusted by the shameless milking since we've spent hundreds being dedicated fans to the series over the last two years.

Zing

Banned
The first two games were great. We enjoyed them and will move on. There is no need to be upset. You aren't forced to buy this new game and there are literally more games already in existence than you could fully play before you die.

As a parent of a young child, I see no "milking" of anything here. Kids don't need every figure. They can barely handle the original 32. Too many choices actually takes away from the game. If all I had were Sonic Boom and maybe four others, my daughter wouldn't even notice a difference. She would still play through the games multiple times.

Sora_N

I'm probably out of the next game. I still haven't gotten Giants, just have most of the toys.

If anything I'd just pick a few cool toys from Swap Force, but not even sure about that lol.

BooJoh

The first two games were great. We enjoyed them and will move on. There is no need to be upset. You aren't forced to buy this new game and there are literally more games already in existence than you could fully play before you die.

As a parent of a young child, I see no "milking" of anything here. Kids don't need every figure. They can barely handle the original 32. Too many choices actually takes away from the game. If all I had were Sonic Boom and maybe four others, my daughter wouldn't even notice a difference. She would still play through the games multiple times.

I know when I was a kid, every time I went to the store and saw some Battle Beasts or Ninja Turtles or Monster in my Pocket that I didn't have, I absolutely wanted to get them all. I'm sure I'd have been the same way with Skylanders (heck, I AM that way with Skylanders.) But I simply can't afford to keep up, and I guess I just find it disappointing that between price hikes, bad distribution, and doubling the number of new characters for this third game, I just can't see myself dropping that much money on the series every year. I'm merely coming to terms with the fact that "catching them all" is a rich man's game for this series, and I'm going to have to be picky and thrifty going forward, which is a little disappointing because I really do love Skylanders.

I'm still a Skylanders fan, but as of Swap Force, I'm no longer a Skylanders Collector. I just can't justify the cost.

Top Bottom