• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath Vita |OT| Something Odd in your pants

We've done a bunch of things for various reasons..

1. All movies are now MP4 movies, instead of Binks. They are now a 1/4 the size.
2. We've compressed the game data, this is now around 800MB
3. We've rolled the 3D/Move update right into the main PKG file
4. We've added a few more performance optimisations.
5. Oh and we've added Leaderbaords ;)

Te main reason for doing the squishing is because SCEE charge us a bandwidth fee for titles over 3GB, so we wanted it smaller. Also they charge for patch bandwidth fees too, so by rolling the update into the main pkg we avoid those too.

Simples :)

Tizoc

Yeah, but Stewart's tweet concerning that was deleted, which could be for a variety of reasons. He could have jumped the gun, or the tweet could have been removed to prevent fan backlash.

Until we get more concrete info or an announcement, I wouldn't worry too much.

Ah I see, well hope he makes it in he'd be interesting to see how he'd play. I expect to see some MvC2 Jill-like attacks where he summons Odd-creaturs/beings to help him out XP.

The size cap was e original reason told us we couldn't be on XBLA, so we approached GoD but they turned us down again, then in th e past six months they told us they'd only allow a sequel (new title) on XBLA.

As it stands we've killed the size of the HD version from 3.2GB to 1.6HD, a new version of which is releasing on the PS3 in mid-March ;)

So the size thing is not a problem it's just MS that are the problem in blocking us with this title.

Hmm! Would I need to re-dl the game come March?
Also did the conversion affect the video quality of the cutscenes? I never knew they used Bink but they looked fantastic on my HDTV.

We've done a bunch of things for various reasons..

1. All movies are now MP4 movies, instead of Binks. They are now a 1/4 the size.
2. We've compressed the game data, this is now around 800MB
3. We've rolled the 3D/Move update right into the main PKG file
4. We've added a few more performance optimisations.
5. Oh and we've added Leaderbaords ;)

Te main reason for doing the squishing is because SCEE charge us a bandwidth fee for titles over 3GB, so we wanted it smaller. Also they charge for patch bandwidth fees too, so by rolling the update into the main pkg we avoid those too.

Simples :)

Thx man

<3

Hmm! Would I need to re-dl the game come March?
Also did the conversion affect the video quality of the cutscenes? I never knew they used Bink but they looked fantastic on my HDTV.

Yes you'll have to re download it, but as its half the original size ;)

As for the movies, the movies in the vita ARE mp4 already ;)

Yes you'll have to re download it, but as its half the original size ;)

As for the movies, the movies in the vita ARE mp4 already ;)

Any word on if/when the Vita version will be going on sale? I saw a few articles in mid January about this but nothing has happened. I just finished Persona 4 Golden and nothing else really fancies my interest right now, besides OSW.

Do it on HARD, that way you can get both trophies ;)

Yeah, I felt like such a puss when the trophy for beating the game on easy popped up. :p

I may try hard this time. The only reason I did easy is because I read someone in another thread say that they got stuck on the Xbox version because it was too hard.

Yeah, I felt like such a puss when the trophy for beating the game on easy popped up. :p

I may try hard this time. The only reason I did easy is because I read someone in another thread say that they got stuck on the Xbox version because it was too hard.

Entirely possible on the Xbox, but we fixed a balance issue with it for the newer releases ;)

Awwww crap!

we've just found a bug with the patch that stops old save games loading in. It reports them as "Corrupt" but they're not.

We are looking into this ASAP and will advise soon.

However if you play with a NEW game it's all good.

Stew

We've just snuck the SCEA version of the patch out ;-) SCEE in a couple of hours hopefully...

Along with proper news :)

That's weird, I never received a notification of the update. I saw this post and refreshed Stranger's Wrath numerous times to see the little update icon but never got it. I guess I was lucky though due to the aforementioned bug.

Keep at it GoldenHelmet and thanks for the awesome game.

P.S. - Any update on when Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee might be available for Vita?

That's weird, I never received a notification of the update. I saw this post and refreshed Stranger's Wrath numerous times to see the little update icon but never got it. I guess I was lucky though due to the aforementioned bug.

Keep at it GoldenHelmet and thanks for the awesome game.

P.S. - Any update on when Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee might be available for Vita?

We aim to submit a fixed update on Wednesday to Sony, hopefully they won't be too busy that day... Then get it out in a week...

As for Munch, it's still coming and I'd like to think I'll have an update on that soonish.

We aim to submit a fixed update on Wednesday to Sony, hopefully they won't be too busy that day... Then get it out in a week...

As for Munch, it's still coming and I'd like to think I'll have an update on that soonish.

Awesome!

Also, you should tell us all the juicy secrets you know about the purported PS4 reveal coming this Wednesday. No one on GAF would ever leak it! ;P

gankdomo

Neo Member
i downloaded the patch so i have version 1.01 and in the update history it says "alternative control scheme", but i don't see any option in the game options to turn off the read touchpad. little help please? i even deleted my old file and redownloaded the whole game again because i know you need a new save file to make it work.

i downloaded the patch so i have version 1.01 and in the update history it says "alternative control scheme", but i don't see any option in the game options to turn off the read touchpad. little help please? i even deleted my old file and redownloaded the whole game again because i know you need a new save file to make it work.

Go in to settings/controls/layout and press Square to change between the two layouts.

gankdomo

Neo Member
I did see that in the options earlier but it reassigns the touchpad. I thought i could just turn it off completely. Thank you for your help!

Tobor

So far, the alternate scheme works as intended. The rear touchpad does seemed to be turned off, and accidental touches thankfully do nothing.

Now that that's fixed, I'm enjoying the game. :)

Shai-Tan

Banned
I was kind of hoping for custom binds. I hate double tapping to change between first and third but I'm the only one complaining so I suppose I'll just play the game now (when the patch of the patch is pushed out)

I was kind of hoping for custom binds. I hate double tapping to change between first and third but I'm the only one complaining so I suppose I'll just play the game now (when the patch of the patch is pushed out)

There is no way for us to do configurable controls with the UI system in the game, which is based in FLASH, but is from a version written for the original Xbox version, based on v7 of flash.

Same problem we have on the PC version, which has control config via the launcher app and NOT in game.

So far, the alternate scheme works as intended. The rear touchpad does seemed to be turned off, and accidental touches thankfully do nothing.

Now that that's fixed, I'm enjoying the game. :)

woooo!

Woke up and went to work. Totally forgot to download this update =(

OmegaZero

Apparently the female clackkerz on the Opple Farm don't talk. Stranger says something along the lines of "Smells good, ladies" and the clackkerz respond with the appropriate animation and no voice.

Just thought I'd post a heads up.

Apparently the female clackkerz on the Opple Farm don't talk. Stranger says something along the lines of "Smells good, ladies" and the clackkerz respond with the appropriate animation and no voice.

Just thought I'd post a heads up.

Really?!?

That's odd, no pun intended.

Also, the v01.02 patch was approved by SCEE today. Hopefully news on the SCEA one tomorrow.

Great write-up from Digital Foundry: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=european-daily

Also, any word on the SCEA patch? I'm waiting to start the game (for the first time) until the patch is out. It's getting harder to wait to play this :D

EDIT:
Q: Vita's variable fortunes are well documented - do you remain committed to the platform? From a business perspective, is it viable for you?

Stewart Gilray: Indeed, it's not been the rosiest of times. However, from our point of view we've done fantastically well, being the number-one purchased title in the SCEE region during December and January, and the third best in the SCEA region, and it's still doing well in both. We have a further two titles in development for the Vita that we've already announced and another we haven't so it's all good and we're going to keep supporting the platform until such time as it doesn't make sense to.

Can we get an idea of sales figures for the PS Vita version? Are you barely breaking even. Bringing in a healthy revenue?

I would rather pay full-price and support a team like JAW, versus some AAA $60 title that provides possibly LESS value/game time. I just hope Vita sales are worth your guys' investment in the system. Having seen a friend playing the Vita version over the weekend, I can safely say you guys have done an amazing job bringing this to the handheld.

Top Bottom