• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

GulAtiCa

My copy of Mega Man X4 came today. Looks very pretty. Also finally will have a S-Video cable soon!

Right now I've been in a kind of retro Sim City kind of mood. With Sim City SNES and Sim City 2000 Saturn. I kinda for got the Saturn version is LAGGYYYYYY. Oh well, it's normal if I'm zoomed in. Taking up most of my ave space is inconvenient as well. But I use Action Replay 3in1, so I hae extra space and can move saves around.

I named my city Lagville. It seemed appropriate.. lol

Seik

Banned
I just got this copy of Magic Knight Rayearth a couple of days ago, really enjoying it so far. I think for my next purchase I will check out Kingdom Grandprix, hopefully it is as fun as I remember it being in the arcade.

Nice, but isn't this MKR text heavy? I want a US version badly. D:

The only thing that sells me on this one is the japanese intro that sounds much better than the english one to me.

Man, I miss games with anime-based intros like this, it cranks me up before each gaming sessions since I always enjoy to watch those, kinda like watching an old school show on TV. Many of my favorite games have this style. MMX3, MMX4, Vanguard Bandits, etc.

Burning Rangers does a great job at hyping me as well so far. :p

Kainazzo

My copy of Mega Man X4 came today. Looks very pretty. Also finally will have a S-Video cable soon!

I've always preferred the Saturn to the PSX version, if only for the controller. In many ways the [Japanese] controller is a natural extension of the SNES's, and it's great to use for 2d games like X4. I've never been as comfortable with the PSX controller, so I couldn't play it as well on that system. It does look a bit nicer, and it was the lead platform, but the Saturn's audio loop fixes and easier control puts it over the top for me.

Then again, I may just be biased. I'm the guy who played Resident Evil on the Saturn and RE 2 on the N64 :p

The only thing that sells me on this one is the japanese intro that sounds much better than the english one to me.
Well, yes; it's an RPG, technically, and definitely has text-based cutscenes like old SNES RPGs tended to have. A few anime cutscenes as well, but usually they're fairly brief. That said, the actual game part is incredibly straightforward, from what I remember, so you might be able to get by with a translation FAQ or something.

And yeah, I don't believe dubs of songs tend to be as good as the songs in their original tongue.

cj_iwakura

Man, I miss games with anime-based intros like this, it cranks me up before each gaming sessions since I always enjoy to watch those, kinda like watching an old school show on TV. Many of my favorite games have this style. MMX3, MMX4, Vanguard Bandits, etc.

I could be wrong, but I recall Victor saying they had no choice but to dub MKR's OP, as well as make a new logo; the anime publishers had rights to the legit stuff.

I liked the new OP, but yeah, the JP version is classic.

Still, MKR is a wonderful game, and goes for surprisingly cheap(compared to other WD classics anyway).

Seik

Banned
I could be wrong, but I recall Victor saying they had no choice but to dub MKR's OP, as well as make a new logo; the anime publishers had rights to the legit stuff.

I liked the new OP, but yeah, the JP version is classic.

Still, MKR is a wonderful game, and goes for surprisingly cheap(compared to other WD classics anyway).

Well, I'm not surprised, this happened frequently back then.

Anyway, it's not like the english version is horrible, it's actually quite descent, but it doesn't beat the real thing.

Don't tempt me, that D&D wound still hurts. D:

Ramune

Watching that X3 opening blew my mind just now. I JUST noticed that Zero goes from his X2/X3 look at 1:28, to his X1 look at 1:31! WOW! :O

IrishNinja

for some reason i knew of MMX4 on saturn, not 3...that's pretty cool. i'm assuming it was a good port?

Right now I've been in a kind of retro Sim City kind of mood.

my recent modded genesis/sega-cd purchase brought like 60 games, a few of which id not played prior..one was theme park, which i wish idve played back when i was hooked on SNES sim city. this is so cool.

also: i'm glad to hear you got an s-video cord, man!
no one should every lose patience & pay too much, much less asshole amazon seller prices

ps i know it's not encouraged here, but...every copy of Yu Suzuki's Gameworks i find online is just an emulator copy, wish i could find a burnable one. kills me that we only saw his work for another gen or so, and then Naka did stuff i didn't even get around to trying like Billy Hatcher and Let's Tap

Teknoman

Agreed.

Right now I've been in a kind of retro Sim City kind of mood. With Sim City SNES and Sim City 2000 Saturn. I kinda for got the Saturn version is LAGGYYYYYY. Oh well, it's normal if I'm zoomed in. Taking up most of my ave space is inconvenient as well. But I use Action Replay 3in1, so I hae extra space and can move saves around.

I named my city Lagville. It seemed appropriate.. lol

Eh? Where'd you find an S-Video cable?

Seik

Banned
for some reason i knew of MMX4 on saturn, not 3...that's pretty cool. i'm assuming it was a good port?

It's not that good, especially because there is some kind of always on '4:3 mode', I don't really know how to call this.

See.

mmx334ppe.png

I prefer the SNES music as well, the CD-based remixes aren't as catchy. Still, I always play this version since I have it because...errr...because MMX Sega hype and FMVs.

MMX4 is impeccable though.

Teknoman

Yeah i'd rather play X4 on Saturn and X3 on SNES. I have no idea why they thought screwing with the themes that bad would be a good idea...

Blast Hornet in particular sounds awful.

Since this post, SCART cable incoming! Woo! Also, here are the games (had some stuff wrong in my post from last week, corrected below):

Fire Pro Wrestling S - 6 Men Scramble
DJ Wars
Cube Battler: Story of Shou
and SOTN

For $70. What say you, Saturn GAF? Games are in good condition.
Anyone have thoughts on the non-SotN games? Are they any good? I know SotN is worth $70, but was wondering if the other games were interesting at all!

cj_iwakura

I don't know if anyone here's playing AO or, uh, even finished it(I'm maybe halfway), but the poll for next month should start soon if you want to contribute any suggestions.

Teknoman

I wonder how well a shoot em up would work? I guess they could take awhile to beat if you did it with a certain set of continues? If not, maybe Legend of Oasis or Astal (that might be too short/easy).

morch

picked up a 14" trinitron so i can play virtua cop and house of the dead again with my light gun

dayum the image quality is so much nicer on a CRT, one day i need to invest in a quality upscaler and scanline generator but, not at my current wages *cry*

Kainazzo

Has it been too long since a Bulk Slash shoutout? I think it has! I took a break from it to brush up on my Japanese enough to understand the briefings, and it's still every bit as awesome as the day I got it. I really want to thank everyone in this thread for introducing me to it, this is definitely a gem of a Saturn game.

Jack up the speakers! This thing brings the boom on my stereo amp; it's in itself a celebration of all things Saturn.

Still gotta play Grandia someday. As a huge Lunar fan I hear it's amazing, and thankfully I've stayed unspoiled on what happens. Just gotta keep reviewing that vocab and...someday!

Edit: I've been curious about the Martian Successor Nadesico game, but it's been tough to find good footage. Would anyone here recommend it, or it is just a licensed panderfest? Seems like it takes after the movie...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
It's not that good, especially because there is some kind of always on '4:3 mode', I don't really know how to call this.

See.

mmx334ppe.png

I prefer the SNES music as well, the CD-based remixes aren't as catchy. Still, I always play this version since I have it because...errr...because MMX Sega hype and FMVs.

MMX4 is impeccable though.

ugh, so they just kept the sfc internal 8:7 ratio instead of stretching it to 4:3 like it's supposed to be. The reasons to avoid the cd version of x3 keep piling up. :p

alf717

I like threads like these. I got my Saturn years ago and got it mostly for the Megaman / Rockman stuff. I have a few other games and might beef up my collection when I start working again. I really like the episode of Game Sack. Never knew of these guys until this thread. Already watched all of their episodes and I like it a lot.

Any recommendations for buying my first import shmup? I need to order an action replay too. It's my birthday gift -- just need to tell the wife what to buy and from where. Preferably $120 or under total including the action replay.

Tain

Coincidentally, my first import STG was Thunder Force V back in 98 or so. I got it for $15!

Not a hard game to recommend to those new to the genre, either.

Any recommendations for buying my first import shmup? I need to order an action replay too. It's my birthday gift -- just need to tell the wife what to buy and from where. Preferably $120 or under total including the action replay.

Souykyugurentai: Otokuyo (this version specifically if you are going to be using the Action Replay.)

Hightower

Banned
Well, it seems to be hanging around that price, but I wanted one in perfect condition and it was the best price available, thanks to the auction.

I had that at one point and got it for under $60 due to a mislabeled Ebay auction. Damn was that a ton of fun to play.

I had a Saturn collection that was about 80 US games and 30 or so imports (mostly fighters... and Capcom to boot)

Unfortunately I had to sell right around when my second daughter was born due to needing the money. I know I sold it all for VERY cheap.. or at least cheaper than parting it out.

Now I see threads like this and would love to have it back.

The Saturn is a system I have owned 3 or 4 times now. I bought my first one at launch, then got rid of it, bought another, then sold it and then the third was when I built the huge collection.

Now.... I see this thread and want back in. Dammit.

Dave Long

Banned
Never sell your systems. I learned that the hard way too. I've owned three Neo AES systems. This one will be my last unless it breaks.

Hightower

Banned
Never sell your systems. I learned that the hard way too. I've owned three Neo AES systems. This one will be my last unless it breaks.

I saw an AES in the wild yesterday. I was FLOORED.

I was at a store called the Exchange local to me and they a freaking WONDERLAND as far as old systems go.

They had a boxed Saturn for $50 (this is TEMPTING)
An AES for $300
TWO Turbo Expresses
2 Jaguars, one with the freaking CD attachment
A Panasonic 3DO
and all the usuals like PS1s, PS2s, Xboxen, etc.

Dave Long

Banned
If you can have a good look at that Saturn, $50 boxed isn't bad. Sometimes the box hides a beat up system. I got a box with my Neo, but the Neo AES itself has a crack in the casing. That was a bummer. It was misrepresented on eBay really. I just wasn't going to fight with the guy.

$300 for an AES is too much unless it comes with a bunch of stuff IMO.

That's super cool though. How much were those Turbos? I think those are pricey...

Holy mother shit Batman. I am kind of freaking out right now. I had this XRGB-3 taking a bit of dust recently and decided to purchase a SCART cable for my Saturn so I could use it alongside the upscaler/line doubler.

I bought my cable from this guy.

Seems pretty clear to me that cable is a proper RGB-21 SCART cable, considering he mentions multiple times that this cable should be used with a Japanese console only.

So I plugged the bastard in my Saturn. I plug the other side in my XRGB-3. I power on the XRGB-3. I select game-in as the input. I power on the Saturn. I get really quick bad flashes on screen then nothing. After 2 seconds, a burnt electronic smell comes off my Saturn. I rapidly shut down the XRGB-3 then the Saturn. Needless to say, at that point I was very anxious. I plug it back on my CRT TV using standard composite cable. I power it on and here's the result of this pathetic experience:

My Saturn is dead :(

What you see is what it really displays. All the bleeding, all the over saturation, the colors that keep changing, the red color pulsating in the backround, the greyish shit all over the screen. Only the upward scan line is from the camera (due to filming a CRT display). This Sega Saturn is literally fucking dead :( Worse, I have no way to determine whether or not it also fried the RGB-21 (GAME-IN) port on the XRGB-3.

Fucking third party bullshit. I don't know what the fuck happened. If the seller accidentally sent me an EURO Scart cable instead or if there was some kind of short in the cable but all I know is that I need a new Saturn, a new RGB-21 cable and potentially have a dead game-in port. Bullshit!

Edit: the XRGB-3 appears to work fine so far using the component input (PS2). I'm just worried about the RGB-21 port.

Holy shit, papersleeves. I'll read through the details in a bit. I only had a few mins to drop in and read through the latest posts. Really sorry to hear about your Saturn. I hope you can fix it.

Holy shit, papersleeves. I'll read through the details in a bit. I only had a few mins to drop in and read through the latest posts. Really sorry to hear about your Saturn. I hope you can fix it.

I am afraid I'll have to buy another one. Seems like an IC fried or something. I opened it earlier tonight and there is a strong burnt smell all across the PSU board as well as the main board. The Saturn is nothing compared to my fear regarding the RGB-21 port. So Anxious.

Me right now:
spriOgG.jpg

Seik

Banned
I am afraid I'll have to buy another one. Seems like an IC fried or something. I opened it earlier tonight and there is a strong burnt smell all across the PSU board as well as the main board. The Saturn is nothing compared to my fear regarding the RGB-21 port. So Anxious.

Me right now:
spriOgG.jpg

Damn...

At least keep the shell, so if you buy another JAP Saturn, even if it's in bad shape you'll be able to switch it with your actual case.

What a fucking waste, it was so clean. D:

Top Bottom