• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Revolution PS3 Excusive Free To Play 6/11/13

Obviously the requirements for a good F2P model for a FG (and in general) are

The ability to get all game content by playing the game/in game currency/nothing that 100% requires real money

All characters in training mode (probably no 2P control in training to avoid exploiting this)

If the game does these two things, F2P is the logical future of fighting games.

I'm not understanding the logic in having a F2P game...yet allowing all content to be unlocked in-game...

You're speaking like a consumer who just wants to eat his cake. It's not going to happen.

neither

I'm seriously curious on how this is going to play out.
As a HUGE tekken fan I don't know how I feel about this announcement ...

tranciful

I'm not understanding the logic in having a F2P game...yet allowing all content to be unlocked in-game...

You're speaking like a consumer who just wants to eat his cake. It's not going to happen.

LoL is a massive financial success, driven entirely by hardcore competitive gamers, and you can get every character through grinding gameplay.

Console gamers don't know anything about F2P apparently.

It's going to be hilarious If you have to buy characters to access them in practice mode.

Cause If you're new to the game then I recommend that you buy Lei, Capos, Lili, Law and all the other super annoying characters so you can keep sane online!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Isn't that exactly what they do in League?
Yeah, only thing you actually need to pay for are boost to get exp/points faster or costumes

It's going to be hilarious If you have to buy characters to access them in practice mode.

Cause If you're new to the game then I recommend that you buy Lei, Capos, Lili, Law and all the other super annoying characters so you can keep sane online!
I find combo string characters the best for beginners, characters that rely on heavy poking and footsies are a no no.

GrayFoxPL

You really think they didn't know ahead of time?

Seeing as this will be a digital release, on one platform, I doubt it took much work to strip down the TTTT foundation.

Game to have a firm release date and so ridiculously soon is prepared months before, and that when the most of development is already done and believe me every game needs many moths of development even if they base it on released game. F2p will need new networking system and item/dlc management. We already know it has new effects and probably many more details, we'll know tomorrow. You can't spit out games in 2 weeks whatever they are. Dumb patches take months to develop.

I'm not quite sure if training mode is enough to see who really fits you. If I was just going by training mode, ABA would probably be my favorite character in Guilty Gear but that's not the case. I have a hard time mounting an offensive and maintaining the momentum necessary. I also have a hard time on defense with her. I also like playing Dante in training mode in Marvel, but Nova's probably my best/favorite character to use in an actual match.

But we've got a few days until we get more details. I'm not gonna worry too much right now.

tranciful

I'm not quite sure if training mode is enough to see who really fits you. If I was just going by training mode, ABA would probably be my favorite character in Guilty Gear but that's not the case. I have a hard time mounting an offensive and maintaining the momentum necessary. I also have a hard time on defense with her. I also like playing Dante in training mode in Marvel, but Nova's probably my best/favorite character to use in an actual match.

But we've got a few days until we get more details. I'm not gonna worry too much right now.

It's like a demo. You get an idea, but obviously you don't know how the full thing will be. The investment will also be smaller.

What you seem to want is a donation model..

SGRU

Will try but I don't have any hope in it not being play with these two characters, pay for everything else.

tranciful

They could rotate free characters like LoL (so you can try out characters you never intended to buy, find what characters fit with your playstyle). They could let you use any character in practice matches, but only let you use characters you own for ranked matches and only let you customize characters you own. Or perhaps 'Random' character selection works for any character for free (another way to explore character you don't own). They could let you grind to unlock characters. F2P is flexible.

This "F2P can't work" stuff is nonsense. Chances are they'll have a "buy all the characters in the game" purchase that acts as a purchase of the full game (like the $29.99 purchase in Smite to get all current/future characters)

You guys forget, unlockable characters in fighting games is NOTHING NEW

Another potential F2P model: let you rent characters once every week or month for free (or rent as many times as you want for $1 each rental). Play online and everything for a limited time, but if you want to keep using it you have to pay a few bucks to unlock it permanently.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Honestly, I think DOA's model is the best way of getting people to try the game (just lock the game offline so I don't have to deal with numerous ninja's flooding the online. Good god, Team Ninja you so stupid). Compared to like Uncharted 3 where they level cap you having most of the modes to try out is better than reaching a level cap and not being able to move forward. That isn't "free to play." That's "free to a certain point, then buy the game, dude."

LowParry

Well that's interesting. I like the new effects in place (which is probably going to be a cost to use them). So is this Tag style? 1v1?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Odd, I'll take it though. It's the only console I don't really have Tekken on (unless you count Tekken 5 DR).

Chavelo

The FGC is already used to buying DLC characters, costumes, gems and updates. You are being silly if you don't think a well-done F2P model will make bank for a fighting game franchise. Hell, I bet if Capcom tried something similar and kept it as half assed as they usually do for their current content, it will still bring in the dollars.

GrayFoxPL

Do you guys think F2P is the future of Tekken?
Or are they trying their luck with this game?

It's base will always be arcade. Korean and Japanese Demigods of Tekken found in arcades who inspire most Tekken players.

This seem to be interesting experiment at relatively lower cost. The future ? Nah.

Elixist

hope its leagues style economy like others have said. hope theres some 2v2 tag modes too would like to bust some heads with my bro.

BasilZero

I wonder how much content is cut from the usual Tekken game (the content you would need to pay for since its F2P cause I doubt it includes as much content as a usual Tekken game).

Hopefully this isnt the path that future games of the series goes on..if so..glad I bought TTT2 lol.

Anyways, looking forward for more details and if anything about SFxT in the future.

GrayFoxPL

excellent

ibjZGMjxI18Dtn.gif

Top Bottom