• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noaloha

Oh my, that is a huge relief. So glad it's just a main quest.

I may be misremembering, but the dye-quest won't show up in the main questline, the requirement is just Lv15 on your character (any class). There's an NPC in Vesper Bay in Western Thanalan region, northwest of Horizon; you'll need to trade a single Orange Juice (can be bought from a food vendor in town).

If you're been doing the story quests or side quests, one of them rewards you with an Orange Juice. I had some in inventory when I talked to the NPC the first time.

kch

Wow, so I tried forcing SGSSAA using Nvidia Inspector like someone posted earlier. The performance penalty is incredible. With a single GTX 680, I was seeing framerates going from locked 60fps down to 25fps during busy scenes. Come on Squenix, fix your AA so people don't have to do this!

Did you set it to 4x or 2x? 4 was a huge hit for me but with 2 I still get 50-60 fps with i5@4ghz gtx580 and it looks great.

Do you guys prefer legacy or standard controls on PS3? I've been using legacy for the longest time(just because it's default) and recently switched it to standard and it's like I'm playing a completely different game. Combat is much better because the camera stays fixed on your target. Before it was just..awkward.

Maldoror

Do you guys prefer legacy or standard controls on PS3? I've been using legacy for the longest time(just because it's default) and recently switched it to standard and it's like I'm playing a completely different game. Combat is much better because the camera stays fixed on your target. Before it was just..awkward.
You can also play with legacy controls and add a Zelda-like target lock (the camera stays fixed on the target as well). This allows you to move easily around the enemy. It's been very helpful for my archer.

Vlodril

So you can only get the ability to dye clothes in Uldah?

I am not sure if this segragation of things to various towns is going to be good or not. On the one hand it makes some sense on how the world works and you get to find things by going to various places. On the other hand it can be a pain in the ass. for example starting to different towns from friends because the guild you want to use is there.

Tomodachi

FXAA does work when forced. Or so I'm told. I haven't tried it myself.

If your video card can handle it, SGSSAA is the way to go here.

Thanks, I had a look and managed to activate it, it looks stunning now.

Downsampled from 1440p, 4xSGSSAA, cropped.

ffxiv2013-07-1100-33-ucsbe.jpg

SMK

Definitely using standard as a Murauder tank. It's the controller setup closes to how I played WoW and it helps a ton for positioning and such. I tried to use legacy and the target lock just felt uncomfortable, especially when fighting stuff that requires you to run out of aoe. Legacy might be fine for ranged characters though.

Khrno

Legacy setting, hate back-pedalling, worst thing ever. It makes harder getting away from aoes, or simply to run away on that direction.

dramatis

Whats an easy way to make money once you get into to the 30s?
I hit late 20s and just completely stopped making any.
my 30.000 I had saved is almost gone.
How? I'm at lvl 31 and have 59k.

Most money can probably be made off of FATEs though, the guildleves and other quests don't give that much money anymore. Selling stuff probably isn't a consideration since everything will be wiped. It's kind of annoying to me that everything you get in dungeons can't be traded or sold.

How? I'm at lvl 31 and have 59k.

Most money can probably be made off of FATEs though, the guildleves and other quests don't give that much money anymore. Selling stuff probably isn't a consideration since everything will be wiped. It's kind of annoying to me that everything you get in dungeons can't be traded or sold.

Well bought a set of armor for 10k, and I guess the rest of it was repairs and potions.
im only getting like 30gil for the level 29 fates

So you can only get the ability to dye clothes in Uldah?

I am not sure if this segragation of things to various towns is going to be good or not. On the one hand it makes some sense on how the world works and you get to find things by going to various places. On the other hand it can be a pain in the ass. for example starting to different towns from friends because the guild you want to use is there.

I'm kind of torn on this also, but I much prefer this world compared to 1.0 where 99.9% of the population just took residence in Ul'dah. At any rate, it's easy enough to travel between the different cities, even at early levels (unless you start in Limsa - hopefully they fix that).

Omnicent

Whats an easy way to make money once you get into to the 30s?
I hit late 20s and just completely stopped making any.
my 30.000 I had saved is almost gone.

Well last weekend I was mining. sold 100 lighting (and another type can't remember) shards for 50/shard (I'm more of a volume seller kind of guy) and they both sold within the hour. I'm only a lv8 miner and it didn't take long (maybe like 30-45 mine all of it).

Not sure how it is right now since I have been good for gil since last weekend (did miner and botanist for a few hours)

Tomodachi

I'm not sure what 4x and 2x are in this case. I followed this image:

I'm guessing this is 4x? So what do I change to make it 2x?

You should change both "4x [4x Multisampling]" and "4x Sparse Grid Supersampling" to "2x [2x Multisampling]" and "2x Sparse Grid Supersampling". I think I'll try this as well later to see how it looks and in case the difference isn't that great gain a few fps.

omlet

So I am a weaver now. Is there anyway to continuously make items? Or do I always have to go back to the menu to synthesize yarn?

In 1.x there were recipes for things like yarn and ingots so you could make 3x at a time. They've left these out of ARR for now but the funny (I guess) thing is in ARR you can make 3 single yarns in about the same time it took to make a 3x recipe in 1.x thanks to how snappy the crafting interface is now, so it doesn't even bother me. That said, it would be nice to see the 3x recipes make a comeback. I'd say chances are good they will but I don't remember reading anything official about them.

Legacy. I hate how restrictive the "normal" movement feels, especially in combat with backpedaling. Only time I want to backpedal is when I'm tanking and that's what lockon is for.

I'm not sure what 4x and 2x are in this case. I followed this image:

I'm guessing this is 4x? So what do I change to make it 2x?

Yeah just change the Antialiasing - Setting to 2x Multisampling. Maybe tone down the Transparency Supersampling to 2x as well (don't have access to my gaming PC atm, can't check what I set mine at).

I too had a notable hit going from 2x to 4x using an inspector profile (down to 35-40FPS with a noticeable "chug" feeling to things like camera spinning) so I stuck with 2x. Looks way better than nothing and I still had 60FPS easily. I could tell a difference visually between 2x and 4x but it wasn't worth the performance hit.

Edit:
Anyone know where you can find the level 32 white gladiator armor that was posted a few pages back?

Brayflox Longbottom (or whatever it's called) dungeon.

Taruranto

You don't get in Uldah, you get it in a town near Uldah (Vesper Bay, so pretty close to Limsa too) that you visit near Level 20 during main storyline.

And you once you get the Quest, you can dye items anywhere.

Thabass

Actually it's a very simple sidequest. All you need is to buy an orange juice from a npc (you also get them as quest rewards) then run all the way west from Uldah to the little port town where the ferry to Limsa Lominsa is. There is a lady sitting to the right of the aetheryte crystal, she gives you the quest to dye gear. Just hand over the orange juice and she gives you a few pots of dye and the ability to just dye your gear from the armoury menu. :)

Not sure what the level requirement for the quest was though, as I was already lv50 when I did it.

Yeah, this is right around the time when you get Airship access too. So you can just fly to UI'Dah if you don't home Ul'dah and just grab the quest in Vesper Bay.

T.O.P

Banned
Heh was expecting Ifrit to drop some loot at least :/

Nvm, lvl24 THM at the moment, should get to 30 by tonight, then i'll work on Pugilist :3

Teletraan1

Banned
I think I've found what I really really hate about this game: unnecessary equipment roadblocks preventing me from continuing with quests. In pretty much every other MMO I've played, the designers lock access to quests based only your character level, and nothing else. But for some unfathomable reason Yoshida thought it would be a brilliant idea to lock off quests based not just on what character level you are, but also on what level equipment you have.

So right now I'm a level 10 character, but I'm stuck and unable to continue with the questline because apparently I need level 5 equipment in all slots or else I'm considered "too weak" to continue on with quests. What the hell was Yoshida smoking when he made this game? Why put in all these unnecessary roadblocks? How on earth is this good game design? The amount of unnecessary hand-holding in this game is ridiculous as well. The game treats you like an idiot too stupid to tie his own shoelaces, let alone play games.

There is an armor vendor no more than 20 yards from the quest NPC that will outfit you to complete this requirement.

user1337

But with better textures! Since the ps4 version will be using the updated DX11 pc version :D

But will people, like me, who buy the ps3 version be able to get the ps4 version for cheap? Or will it be a full priced disc?

I assume everything should carry over as it should all be linked to the sqenix account?

Ricker

But will people, like me, who buy the ps3 version be able to get the ps4 version for cheap? Or will it be a full priced disc?

I assume everything should carry over as it should all be linked to the sqenix account?

Guessing all your characters and level will carry over but I am pretty sure,not 100% though,that you will need to buy the PS4 copy...maybe they will give a free month again,that would be like a 15 bucks rebate in a way...

I may be misremembering, but the dye-quest won't show up in the main questline, the requirement is just Lv15 on your character (any class). There's an NPC in Vesper Bay in Western Thanalan region, northwest of Horizon; you'll need to trade a single Orange Juice (can be bought from a food vendor in town).

Your kidding me! Man, I've had that sidequest on hold for the whole playthrough. I'm lvl18 right now and everytime I looked at my quests I kept looking at the orange juice quest and saying "... meh I'll do it later."

I'll get right on that quest right now, thanks.

Does it matter which levequest I do in Lower Noscea in order to make Thunderhooves appear? He's the last guy I need for my GC hunting log.

You have to do the level 20 levequests but the actual levequest doesn't matter. Thunderhooves can potentially spawn on any of them. He will appear near the pool of water down below the general area of the leve.

Kitoro

Does anyone know the fine details of how Free Companies work? My understanding is that Linkshells are purely chat channels now, and it's all about the Free Companies now.

My friend told me an FC must be allied with one of the three main cities, and I really want Ul'dah for the unique aspect that most people will choose Limsa or Gridania for pretty seaside or lush forest housing, and not a sand castle. :p

Our GC of choice will be Ul'dah as it was in 1.0, and I really would like our FC to be there as well. Does anyone know if there are any benefits/bonuses to having your FC and GC tied together? I need some ammunition to convince him to let us choose Ul'dah! Thanks! /gcsalute

I love having my chocobo fight with me, but they really need to let you be able to mount your chocobo battle companion when you have it summoned. Being forced to dismiss it, mount your chocobo, ride to somewhere else, use another gysahl green to resummon it, and repeat is kind of annoying. Also, they need to make it more obvious which battle stance your chocobo is in because there's no current way to tell. This would be a simple fix like either putting a buff on your chocobo saying "Attacker Stance" or even just lighting up the icon on your bar of the stance your chocobo is in.

I left feedback on the beta forums - hope they give it a read.

LaneDS

So the bonus stats you can apply as you level up a given job... do those bonus stats carry in any way (scaled down or otherwise) to other classes? Would someone who has is playing a level 50 class and has all classes/jobs at 50 have a stat advantage over someone else who is playing a level 50 of the same class, but only has that one 50?

I'm assuming the answer is no after some very basic testing on my beta character, but then I wonder why we even can allocate points considering how few there are to allocate from 1-50 to begin with. Here's an example:

As a Gladiator, you get to put points into either STR, DEX, or VIT. VIT seems like the best bet since that is extra HP, but I can see a case being made for STR since that's increased melee damage and is useful for threat or simply for soloing. But DEX? According to everything I read, that is ranged damage... why is that even an option? So players can accidentally waste their stat point allocations? Just seems like a system that is designed to offer some sense of illusion of freedom to me, with little advantage for the player.

So the bonus stats you can apply as you level up a given job... do those bonus stats carry in any way (scaled down or otherwise) to other classes? Would someone who has is playing a level 50 class and has all classes/jobs at 50 have a stat advantage over someone else who is playing a level 50 of the same class, but only has that one 50?

I'm assuming the answer is no after some very basic testing on my beta character, but then I wonder why we even can allocate points considering how few there are to allocate from 1-50 to begin with. Here's an example:

As a Gladiator, you get to put points into either STR, DEX, or VIT. VIT seems like the best bet since that is extra HP, but I can see a case being made for STR since that's increased melee damage and is useful for threat or simply for soloing. But DEX? According to everything I read, that is ranged damage... why is that even an option? So players can accidentally waste their stat point allocations? Just seems like a system that is designed to offer some sense of illusion of freedom to me, with little advantage for the player.

Maybe you want to have well-rounded stats for each class. So if you are playing your gladiator and put on a bow to become an archer, your ranged attacks won't suck.

Nope, each class gets its own points and they do not carry over into other classes you change into.

I feel like there's a distinct lack of customization for your characters to differentiate yourself from other people (besides gear). There's no talent trees, no custom traits you can assign - just stats which isn't a very exciting way to customize your character. Adding more skills from other classes is useful, but most of the stuff you would bring over would just be simple buffs (and when on your Job, you can only take abilities from two classes; plus you can only take CERTAIN abilities).

I know people hate when you talk about FFXI, but I think they should bring over the Merit Point system from that game into XIV - or at least do something similar. It would allow you to customize your character how you wish with some actual meaningful choices (if you want to focus on lowering the recast of certain abilities you use the most, or even increasing the potency of some of your favorite spells/abilities). As it is now, popping another point into MND as a White Mage isn't very satisfying.

Azzurri

^^ I don't understand why SE is so stubborn and not taking the good from FFXI and bring it over to XIV? I understand they want a different game, but XI had some really good game systems *cough* Job and sub-job not this class system they're using *cough*

Whompa

What I got from my short time last night:

- The aesthetic is super clean and pleasing.

- Loading into zones and cutscene/load/gameplay is very quick for my rig (which has all the settings on maximum).

- No frame dropping AT ALL...runs like butter on my rig.

- I love the active quests.

- The gameplay is solid and feels smooth/polished.

- Combat is pretty solid and frenetic. I love being able to move about while I fight.

- Quest markers and questing in general is pretty well constructed.

Stuff I don't like or am not privy to yet:

- While the combat seems really solid, I don't understand the damage whatsoever. Seems like damage is distributed even if the visuals are not representing it properly? What's going on?

- Equipment menu UI is pretty bare bones.

- Invisible walls and general feel of linearity in it's design. It's an mmo, I want to be able to be punished for my mistakes, I want freedom to explore, not to be guided down a single track within a big space.

- No VA? Is that on my end?

- Walls of friggen text.

- Pulling a mob too far from it's pathing causes it to retreat eventually and it will become invulnerable until it retreats back to it's starting position. When it returns it will immediately regain ALL of it's HP...it's really REALLY frustrating.

- No FPS view that I'm aware of?

- The game seems incredibly easy which is kind of frustrating. It feels like Neverwinter, japanese edition. I want to sink my teeth into an mmo, not play it like some social game.

- Pvp? Does this exist and to what extent?

- Have they established if this game will have a monthly fee? If so, man...they need to justify that a little more.

omlet

Our GC of choice will be Ul'dah as it was in 1.0, and I really would like our FC to be there as well. Does anyone know if there are any benefits/bonuses to having your FC and GC tied together? I need some ammunition to convince him to let us choose Ul'dah! Thanks! /gcsalute

A FC is like a more traditional MMO guild. You can only be in 1 at a time (vs linkshells which you can have several of at a time). We're going with Limsa FC because Limsa's the best, not because pretty seaside. That's just icing! That said, from what we've seen up to phase 3 there is no benefit of picking one city over another in which to form your FC. So far, all it changes is your icon. We won't be able to confirm any more until FC housing is released.

As mentioned, no. Stat distribution is a PER CLASS (not per job!) thing.

As a Gladiator, you get to put points into either STR, DEX, or VIT. VIT seems like the best bet since that is extra HP, but I can see a case being made for STR since that's increased melee damage and is useful for threat or simply for soloing. But DEX? According to everything I read, that is ranged damage... why is that even an option?
To put a pit for new players to fall into.

So players can accidentally waste their stat point allocations? Just seems like a system that is designed to offer some sense of illusion of freedom to me, with little advantage for the player.
Congrats, you just saw through the smoke and mirrors SE is presenting as customization!

That said, here's the thing to consider.

Right now all our classes only have 1 job. All our jobs only have 1, maybe 2 (tank jobs) stats to worry about (MND for WHM, STR for MNK and DRG, DEX for BRD, etc.). Thus, there is no choice involved.

Any PGL who isn't putting all 30 points into STR is doing it wrong.

Any ARC who isn't putting 30 points into DEX is doing it wrong.

Any MRD who isn't putting 30 points into some mixture of STR and VIT (even a 30/0) is doing it wrong.

However!

What happens when new jobs show up? Let's consider ACN. A summoner's primary stat may be MND while a scholar's may be INT. What if DRK gets added as a job for GLD and they need STR and INT and you put all your GLD points into VIT? What if PGL gets a lightweight thiefy type job (DEX primary stat) or something like dancer (maybe a mental stat becomes important)? Suddenly that attribute distribution at the class level (not job) becomes important.

Right now it feels hollow and pointless but as they add more jobs those 30 points may start to matter a lot more. They will provide a way for players to further specialize their classes for specific jobs once more jobs are added. But, yeah, not right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom