• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS4 trailer online on Konami's website

Yoboman

MightyHedgehog said:
I dunno...this trailer was rather disappointing to me. I was thinking they were going to show gameplay...even a real-time demonstration of gameplay on stage. Cutscenes are cool, but I'm rather tired of the drawn out Matrix-like fights. Perhaps the Konami event will show what I want to see.
Kojima was at the Sony conference and said we'd see gameplay next week in Tokyo or something of the sort

Ceb

The faces look more realistic now, somehow. Meryl's model isn't actually downgraded. She looks a bit older and less "cartoony", and her hair is more evenly combed and less spiky - it was just as stiff in the E3 trailer.

I hope the M4 with EOtech scope is still in the game. All I saw were Scars and XM8's, but those M4's they had in the game before looked badass.

test_account

XP-39C²
Damn this trailer looks amazing! Some parts, like in the begining, they almost look like a real movie O_O I'm also really looking forward to see Kojima playing it at Tokyo Game Show :)

EekTheKat

My initial reaction was pretty negative on Meryl as well, but after seeing it in HD on my tv she looks pretty damn good.

They made her older than the version that was in the previous trailer. Her facial features looks like that of a 30ish year old woman now instead of that 20 something young girl in the old trailer.

Yoboman

Ceb said:
The faces look more realistic now, somehow. Meryl's model isn't actually downgraded. She looks a bit older and less "cartoony", and her hair is more evenly combed and less spiky - it was just as stiff in the E3 trailer.
Why is anyone suggesting there was a downgrade? I only see upgrades, and big ones too. Which is no surprise as it's a year later

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Possibly one of the most amazing trailers I have ever seen.

If I were Sony I would give Konami daily blow jobs to make sure this doesn't go 360.

ThirdEye

Upgraded total. I like Snake's new hair, and that black guy is definitely the most real black guy in the history of realtime computer graphics!

Luken

maskksna.jpg

Do you see the guy in the left using a mask in Meryl’s team?

Who is this guy? Why he is the only one who is not affected by the FOXDIE?

Yoboman said:
Kojima was at the Sony conference and said we'd see gameplay next week in Tokyo or something of the sort
That's weird timing. You'd think they would have it at their own event today. Well, at least, it's coming soon. I want to see a real gameplay demo, damn it.

BigBoss

Meryl looks like a completely different model from last year's: uglier and less detailed.

E3 2006
158fs157464.jpg

E3 2007
bscap0010.jpg

bscap0012.jpg

The new Meryl model is just as detailed as the one we saw last year, looks better IMO.

Crateman

OMG! That guy on the far left HAS to be Raiden.

*Blonde hair.
*Why the glasses and the facehood?
*If you listen closely at the "Commander!" line you can distinguish that it's in fact Raiden's voice.
*Why Kojima gave emphasis to that particular character... I mean, why is he the only one that's not affected by the thingy Liquid Ocelot activated?

Luken said:
Do you see the guy in the left using a mask in Meryl’s team? Who is this guy? Why he is the only one who is not affected by the FOXDIE?
I'm thinking Raiden, too. You can see a tuft of blonde hair sticking out of the mask, and his voice is sort of light like Raiden's.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Meryl in 2006 = animu reject happy 16 year old
Meryl in 2007 = hottie hottie siscumbody

After watching the first half a few more times, I'm getting into the whole story concept again.

War as a game, war controlled like an RTS. Every trailer thus far has been slowly building up that dehumanization of soldiers. Last year it was with each person was devolved into a unit with ID stats, et cetera. This year it described the micro but also macro control of those units en masse.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
The masked guy has got to be Raiden. The nanomachines/FOXDIE aren't giving him problems because he doesn't have them (he's not a real member of FoxHound), or because he's now totally a cyborg, or both :D

HAWT. Can't wait for next week's gameplay demonstration.

Knight77

I just noticed something: at minute 0:53 - 0:54 you can "almost" see someone behind ocelot, someone with long hair and dressed all black...who the hell is him/her?

2 disappointments:

1. WHERES THE GAMEPLAY?????
2. OMFG THEY BETTER NOT TAKE AWAY MY OCELOT....I HATE THESE SCIFI/HOCUS-POCUS GARBAGE WHERE LIQUID SNAKE POSESSES SOME OTHER CHARACTERS MIND AND BODY. GIVE HIM HIS OWN DAMN BODY PLZ

thanx kojima!

Dot50Cal

Banned
Knight77 said:
I just noticed something: at minute 0:53 - 0:54 you can "almost" see someone behind ocelot, someone with long hair and dressed all black...who the hell is him/her?

Its the
fake
Naomi I think, Shes in the chopper when it comes to pick Liquid Ocelot up.

All the fine details make the duel what it is.

When Raiden pulls down the small metal gear, his suit pops out 2 shoulder plates and let's off gas (sort of like when he powered down at the end of the last trailer). The second time Vamp throws knives, three of the four hit, spark a little as their pierce the suit, and they stay stuck in there. Vamp cracks his neck sideways to dodge Raiden's thrown sword. The toe stab punctures a gas line for Raiden's suit. Et cetera.

I actually took a few captures of some of the details but after only getting about a third through the fight, it started to feel a little pointless because there are so many.

(Aformentioned neck crack to dodge the sword)
mgs4-neckcrack.jpg

Knight77

Dot50Cal said:
Its the [spoilers]fake[/spoilers] Naomi I think, Shes in the chopper when it comes to pick Liquid Ocelot up.

Mmmh Naomi is really different from this one...I think...may be Vamp but not sure

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
For people asking for gameplay - wait till July 17th. They will show off the game in a playable state.

Calcaneus

Y2Kev said:
Meryl in 2006 = animu reject happy 16 year old
Meryl in 2007 = hottie hottie siscumbody

Thats pretty much one of the only ways to describe it. She looks like a woman now, not someone in her late teens.

And that Raiden/Vamp fight already wins best videogame fight ever.

Loved the end of the new trailer. The Vamp and Raiden fight. Vamp moves even more like a homosexual now though. Glad to see Vamp back in the action.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
love the trailer, btw -- the nanomachines driving everybody nuts on command, foaming at the mouth, brawling. total battlefield control. 'i'm just an old killer on a wetworks assignment.' that vamp/raiden fight that -- since i happen to be reading blade of the immortal -- reminds of manji's fight with shizuma eiku. can't wait to see gameplay next week. mgs4 isn't the prettiest game anymore -- not with cod4 and killzone 2 cranking up the chaos and verisimilitude -- but it's idiosyncratic and stylish and daring in a way that video games just...aren't. <3

but what's with the motion blur in the psn download? looks kind of nasty -- you can actually see afterimages of moving objects, as if it was on a really bad lcd. and you can see them in freezeframe. i think this might be something with the video encoding -- you can see the same thing in one of the vf5 trailers on the japanese psn store, and there's nothing of the sort in the actual game.

calder

Good god that looked amazing. I agree that the solid brick of Meryl's hair was noticeable, but only because every single damn thing else looked SO FREAKING GOOD. And her hair is obviously something that is going to be changed, Liquid's hair moved.

The story looked interesting, the fight was unreal (like so many classic MGS showdowns it skirted the line of "too much" in terms of action, but shit if you want utter realism in your game with seemingly immortal warriors, clones, and almost mystical levels of fighting ability then you're already unhappy) and the degree of polish was exactly what we've all come to expect of a Kojima game. Can't freaking wait! :D

Awesome, Killzone trailer just finished d/ling and I still have a few more to go. Sony has sure redeemed the hell out of the lame summer PSN updates. ;)

Mugen

Banned
Meryl has been drastically changed. Looks much older and experienced, but less hot. Hair was downgraded heavily.

I just watched the HD trailer. :O :O :O :O :O :O :O
omg3.gif

Despite the flaws, damn!

Mugen said:
Meryl has been drastically changed. Looks much older and experienced, but less hot. Hair was downgraded heavily.
When she was first shown in the trailer it looked plasticy.

Imm0rt4l

Luken said:
maskksna.jpg

Do you see the guy in the left using a mask in Meryl’s team?

Who is this guy? Why he is the only one who is not affected by the FOXDIE?

probably
raiden before dying and becoming a cyborg

SRG01

The masked guy is Raiden. You can hear him when he says "Jonathan!" when the other PMCs are keeling over.

Sallokin

Amazing. I waited to watch it directly from the PSN store and it was well worth the wait. I cannot wait for this game, and it sucks that I have to wait even longer than I previously thought I would. At least I'll have a ton of time to devote to it when it does come out.

Raiden totally pulled off a Yoshimitsu on Vamp!!!!!!!:<M@"E$!@#{P!@#!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Ugh, this is too awesome, none of us are worthy!

I think the "clean" look will be sorted out by release.

The way the soldiers started fighting each other through the use of macro-something was cheesy and probably a weird gameplay mechanic. One small thing that got to me was how the enemy soldiers always have their faces covered, like the previous few games.

Greg

Frame rate was all over the place for practically the entire trailer, but the Snake climbing over all the bodies and stumbling around - completely badass.

Hated the Raiden scene - there were a few good parts, but way too many over-the-top moments that remind me of some piece of shit DMC would throw in. I know Kojima is trying to get people to like Raiden, but damnit, no reason to go that crazy.

Graphically, I expected much more - that being said, Kojima always spoke of graphics not being the most important aspect of next-gen, so I'm sure the complete package will greatly make up what's lacking graphically (character models look ****ing great, textures not so much).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That was awesome indeed, Meryl looks even more realistic now (except the hair no longer moves, which is probably temporary).

Anyone else thinks that the guy who was not affected by the nanomachines with his head covered is actually the "young snake"?

Ether_Snake said:
That was awesome indeed, Meryl looks even more realistic now (except the hair no longer moves, which is probably temporary).

Anyone else thinks that the guy who was not affected by the nanomachines with his head covered is actually the "young snake"?
The voice sounds nothing like Snake and more like Raiden.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ninj4junpei said:
The voice sounds nothing like Snake and more like Raiden.

You are right. I have theorized for some time that the cyborg ninja is in fact NOT Raiden. The theme of the game is "How do we preserve someone's sense digitally.". I see the cyborg Raiden as that principle.

Raiden represented the player and was the kind of person who accepted lies for his own mental well being. So Kojima has given us the "lie" we want, a cool ass-kicking cyborg Raiden, and like Raiden we accept this "lie" for our own selfish reasons. But just like Raiden avoided the truth when he could see glimpses of it, hence sustaining the lie, so do we: Raiden is still girly, he has eye-liner, long finger nails, and high heels. This is Kojima's way of showing us that this Raiden has flaws we refuse to accept, we gloss over them, because we WANT him to be the cool Cyborg Ninja Raiden.

Anyway that is how I have seen it for some time, but we'll see.

Top Bottom