• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS4 trailer online on Konami's website

Hmm, not that impressed. I'm seeing some of those low rez textures, and the shadows are pixelated at times as well.

Of course, it doesn't look bad by any means, but considering these are movies, I had hoped for more.

At work, but OMFG.....!!!!!!!! I cannot WAIT for this game now... I'm currently having my friend download the PSN trailer - looks like I'll be converting this for my PSP tonight :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My impressions on the trailer: Obvious spoilers.

1. The trailer on PSN has a completely different look to it than the one at the conference. The colors are more vivid on my TV, and the battle between Raiden and Vamp looks more green and more alive. The beginning scene really highlights Snake's blue suit.

2. The textures look a bit sharper. I have to say I was a bit taken aback by the very opening moment in which Snake leans against the crate. It's really poorly done. I think overall though the game has this very interesting "immaculately dirty" look to it. The textures can be very sharp in places-- see the platform Liquid was standing on-- but at the same time look very dirty and yellow. I like that effect.

3. I have no idea what is going on dialog-wise. I just don't know what anyone is talking about, and I love it. Awesome VA, hearing the Colonel again made me squeal. :D The whole foxdie squirming thing was incredibly awkward and made me really uncomfortable. I did like the way everyone moved and animated though. :D

4. The cutscene animation looks as utterly superb as it did a year ago.

5. Vamp: Could you be the one to finally kill me? That was AWESOME. That entire battle was awesome. I was so excited to see it.

Overall, I think the game has a bit more work to be done on it. Graphically it still impresses but it definitely has a different punch than it did when it was first unveiled.

I can't wait to see this being played next week. Shame Sony couldn't get Kojima to play it and then roll the trailer. The man deserves 20+ minutes.

So hyped.

I want the HD rip badly. :( Even from the crap quaility trailer they still need to do some texture work. Hopefully they don't release it till mid 08 or better yet fall 08. I want Kojima to take as long as he wants. Another problem with it is the VA could use some work.

USD

The ground textures were pretty meh, and it was kinda disappointing to the framerate problems, but it looked great. The Vamp/Raiden fight saved it. Can't wait to play it though.

The really need to tone down the EXTREMENESS. Seeing Raiden take on the Metal Gears was cool but then they decided to TURN IT UP TO 11 and it just looks foolish. Break dancing on a sword?? I mean it appears as if they found a 13 year old DBZ fan and asked them "if you were a ninja just what kind of awesomely extreme things would you do?"

The ending was also really was akward. When Vamp pushed the sword further into himself I half expected to bend over and kiss Raiden and proceed to whisper in his ear "together forever". It made me uncomfortable. :(

Not like any of this shit matters it's ****ing MGS 4!!!

aparisi2274

so in the trailer Meryl says that she injected him with that nanomachine stuff 9 years ago at shadow Moses... Is she talking about the events from MGS? If so, how the **** is Snake so old then? That cant be right... can it?

the animation is now looking totally on point!

but what is up with the hair?! they must use a shit-ton of styling products in the future.

cgcg

What's incredible about MGS4 is that even the generic enemy soldier has more details than most game's main character. Hot!

Y2Kev

aparisi2274 said:
so in the trailer Meryl says that she injected him with that nanomachine stuff 9 years ago at shadow Moses... Is she talking about the events from MGS? If so, how the **** is Snake so old then? That cant be right... can it?

Naomi. AND I THINK Naomi is in the chopper with Liquid...Can someone get a screenshot of the woman in the chopper?

omg clue combing and I'm actually GOOD at it with MGS

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
aparisi2274 said:

Snake is getting older fast because he is a clone of BigBoss.

Y2Kev

naomimaybe.jpg

Looks not as close as I thought this time. The hair stroop in front of her face maybe made me think.

Diatribe

Y2Kev said:
naomimaybe.jpg

Looks not as close as I thought this time. The hair stroop in front of her face maybe made me think.
That is definitely Naomi in the heli.

Turn up the brightness, it looks exactly like her from the past trailer(s).

Who's that girl? I never played a metal gear by myself...no I don't mean "I'm scared" I mean I never owned one of them.

And do all those people die? wtf. The girl and those guys show up and everyone starts puking/fighting, same with snake as well.

o_O

Y2Kev

Wow...this game...

Just watched it five times. What's an SOP?

With Naomi possibly in the chopper, liquid telling her to activate the virus...he knows snake is around then...

BE STILL MY BEATING HEART

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I f'n love Vamp's five dog tags. You know those are the fallen Dead Cell members Raiden killed. :D

Johnas

Meryl looks a lot better now.

She looked OK before, but she looks more like a grown woman now and not quite so young.

Good to finally know it's PS3 exclusive too. PS3 get!

Duderz

Banned
I can't believe this thread hasn't exploded yet.

Too be honest, I'm a little disappointed in the graphics - I disagree with Y2K, I thought the game just didn't look "dirty" enough - quite the opposite. You'd think that in a desert, the ground wouldn't be one solid shapem but have shifting sands and haze everywhere. I didn't see any of that.

Sad to see the 2008 release date too, but totally expected. They have plenty of time to fix these issues, and I have the utmost faith in Kojima.

That said, still there day and date, to buy my PS3. Animation looked better than Uncharted to me.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Graphics were ****ing staggering but disappointed no gameplay is shown...but wtf is up with the protracting dance-fight bullshit at the end. I don't want to sit through all that kind of crap during the game. It's bad enough in movies.

joesmokey

Just imagine if they showed an FF13 trailer right after this.

And holy shit at this trailer, thanks for the online link. PSN store is a little slow right now :p

jett

D-Member
Meryl looks like a completely different model from last year's: uglier and less detailed. Very disappointed by this trailer, I was expecting considerable improvements...

John_B

I like the new Snake model compared to the great-grandfather version with the complete white hair. I still think that the Snake model is very far from the initial tech demonstration. The detail in hair and skin was unmatched.

I'm not sure what has happened, but the new oily filter is really awful. It blurs and smoothens the visuals, it even adds a little glow to the models, but color and lightning details went out the window.

I don't want great-grandfather Snake, but I really liked the visuals from that one trailer where you see Snake in an abandoned warehouse contemplating suicide.

I'm sure that the team is doing all they can to adjust to framerate, detail and the look they want to achieve, so it won't look like this when released.

Also the trailer did not seem very Kojima-ish.

I dunno...this trailer was rather disappointing to me. I was thinking they were going to show gameplay...even a real-time demonstration of gameplay on stage. Cutscenes are cool, but I'm rather tired of the drawn out Matrix-like fights. Perhaps the Konami event will show what I want to see.

Top Bottom