• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Manp

Strider2K99 said:
I got back my 360 yesterday. It's dated December 06 compared to my old one wich was Sept. 06.

Seems fine so far, except for the disc tray. The disc tray on this one kind of shifts to the side a little when it's opening and closing. I hope it doesn't become a problem. =/

that's because the cogwheel that open and close the tray is on one of the sides. i wouldn't worry

:)

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Mine arrived at my house... I am not home so i dont know what it is.. i am just happy to have it back .. .I will let you all know about it when i get back from atlantic city tomorrow

Danielsan

On monday I called up Microsoft again to ask them what the status was on my Xbox360, the woman on the phone did some checking and said that the repairs were done and it should ship back to me shortly..
About ****ing time Microsoft.. it's been 6 weeks and 3 days since it arrived at the repaircenter
and I still don't have it back. I hope to god that it's been repaired properly and will arrive in one piece because if it breaks on/shortly after arrival I might just snap..

Moostache

I have now gone through FIVE separate 360's.

3 Premiums - RRoD (first one died in 7 months, second one died in 8 months, third one died in 4 weeks!!!)

1 Elite - failed disc drive (total time used = 5 weeks)
1 Premium - failed disc drive (total time used - after receiving as refurb. - 5 DAYS!!!)

Amazingly enough, my repair/refurb turn around times have gone UP every time out (first time it happened I had a new unit in my house within 9 days of reporting the problem - this last time I got my coffin 12 days after I called it in....)

I know that I do not even come close to the most 360's to bite the dust, but for some added background, I have been gaming since 1978-79 on the Atari 2600. In that time I have owned just about every console ever made and I had exactly 1 failed console in all that time. The 360 - by itself - has quintupuled my console failures....

D3VI0US

I spent the night tinkering and trying to clear failed updates and game updates, trying to get the more advanced error codes, booting it up without the HDD, and all the other power cycle hoops that MS is gonna ask me to jump through. It's ****ed and I don't want to even bother with the towel trick.

So assuming I don't get my original console back have they resolved the issue where I'll have to be on Live to access any of my games?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Finally, it happened. Mine 3rl on me last month.

I did the towel trick, it works for a while and then freezes up again.

Turning it on and off, it eventually turned on, but the 3rl were blinking (while the 360 was working and i was playing crackdown).

Anyways, i took it somewhere else to do the xclamps mod.. Let's see how it turns out.

Add me up to the list. Bought it in november, died in july.

RPS37

Xbox.com has a Repair Agent

You just need to register your Xbox and fill out your information. So far, it's working for me. It now says:

Xbox.com Repair Agent said:
Device Information
Device: Xbox360 Hardware
Serial Number: ************
Warranty Status: In Warranty
Repair Status: Device Received at Service Center

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
how long does it take for them to update the status? UPS shows it was delivered yesterday, but my account still says "# Repair Status: Empty Box Shipped to Customer"

GavinGT

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
how long does it take for them to update the status? UPS shows it was delivered yesterday, but my account still says "# Repair Status: Empty Box Shipped to Customer"

It's typically a day or two behind. I had already received my shipping box by the time MS had sent me the confirmation email that it had even been sent.

Bojangles

Do I have to write my post a particular way for the parsers to pick it up?

i have officially joined the 3-light parade. Now where's that towel trick?

I got my 360 back from the repair center today. MFG date is 2006-11, but I can very well see through the vents that the new fancy third heatsink is present! w00t!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Dammit, my 2nd 360 crapped out on me today. This one didn't even make it a year! 8 months and red light city.

So it is taking 2-3 weeks for a replacement 360 nowadays? crap. There goes my idea of getting Madden at launch.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
"# Repair Status: No pending repair"

That usually means a system is ready to be shipped back to you.

DMczaf

I just checked my reference number

Shipped To: LAS VEGAS, NV, US
Shipped/Billed On: 08/02/2007
Service: 3 DAY SELECT
Weight: 8.00 Lbs

My 360 is already on the way back, damn that was fast. They received it on 7/23.

scarybore

Quick shout out to my local Game in Greenock, not that they read this site. Asked if I could test my 360 in store on one of their power supplies so that when I got round to Microsoft again I could be totally sure the 360 was faulty and that they aren't testing it properly before sending it back to me.

Quick 15 minute drive in the car and they gave it a test and agreed it was buggered and since they were getting ready themselves to send broken 360's back to MS, they took my 360 and swapped it for a new one no questions asked even though I never bought the 360 from them in the first place. That's customer service MS, and you could learn a lot from it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
DMczaf said:

My 360 is already on the way back, damn that was fast. They received it on 7/23.

Sweet, I will be sending mine back whenever I get my coffin in the mail. I got the red lights 3 times last night...:( Glad to see the quick turnaround is still going on.

Souplak

I hope this is the right thread to ask this question.

For the first time in a couple of months I used my 360 and while playing N3(I just got the game 2 days ago) I got a disc read error. I cleaned the disc and I could play for 2 more hours before getting another disc read error.

So is this a common problem? What likaly the couse of this? Is it the 360 fault or the games fault?

Should I be worried?

pr0cs

Souplak said:
I hope this is the right thread to ask this question.

For the first time in a couple of months I used my 360 and while playing N3(I just got the game 2 days ago) I got a disc read error. I cleaned the disc and I could play for 2 more hours before getting another disc read error.

So is this a common problem? What likaly the couse of this? Is it the 360 fault or the games fault?

Should I be worried?
only that game or all games.. that should be the question and answer to your problem.

Souplak

pr0cs said:
only that game or all games.. that should be the question and answer to your problem.

Like I said I havent played any games on it for the last 2 months but all my other games worked fine.
I guess ill play through GeoW another time to make sure its only N3 and not the console.

RPS37

For both Forza 2 and Guitar Hero 2 I got a disc read error when they were brand new straight out of the box. That's why my 360 is at the repair center right now.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
DMczaf said:

Dont expect it to be picked up and actually shipped till Monday.

That is much better than before,looks like they have picked things up.

Hope for the new heatsink.

Orodreth

After 4 months without using the 360 (i was abroad) just switched it today and after half an hour downloading demos got the 3 Rings.

I have waited some time to let it cool down, tried again and has recovered but i´m afraid it can die anytime soon now.

My problem lays in the console being Asian version and i´m european. I called and asked the support services and they dont want to take care of it even if i pay for the recovery cost.

At another forum they have told me about UK "3rd party" shops (GT Electronics) that repair them. Any UK gaffer has had any experience with them? would they take care of an asian 360?

Danielsan

I got a call from UPS this afternoon telling me that they'll deliver it next monday. So in the end it will have taken 7 weeks but **** I'm glad when it's back.

RPS37 said:
For both Forza 2 and Guitar Hero 2 I got a disc read error when they were brand new straight out of the box. That's why my 360 is at the repair center right now.
Same happend to me when I put Forza 2 in. I'm so afraid of it happening again when I get it back on monday

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Matrix said:
"# Repair Status: No pending repair"

That usually means a system is ready to be shipped back to you.

strange, they just received it on 8/1. The serial number has been changed as well. :D

Treo360

Still waiting on my Coffin, it's been nearly three weeks now, and here's the kicker, I bought a core to possibly Walmart Swap it, funny thing is, well, it RROD'd yesterday, I didn't have the fraking thing for more than a week, and now it's dead.

Karma can be a real bitch.

Make this Unit 4 for me that's died.

As a consolation they are sending me a free wireless controller. For what I don't know, but the rep says that there is a controller on it's way to my house and provided tracking info.:lol

JB1981

Treo360 said:
Still waiting on my Coffin, it's been nearly three weeks now, and here's the kicker, I bought a core to possibly Walmart Swap it, funny thing is, well, it RROD'd yesterday, I didn't have the fraking thing for more than a week, and now it's dead.

Karma can be a real bitch.

Make this Unit 4 for me that's died.

As a consolation they are sending me a free wireless controller. For what I don't know, but the rep says that there is a controller on it's way to my house and provided tracking info.:lol
holy wow

every 360 currently on store shelves is dead. they should be removed

360s are like Replicants in Blade Runner . . . . the candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long. :lol

Where is the posting with the most recent gaf total of dead 360s?

JB1981 said:
holy wow

every 360 currently on store shelves is dead. they should be removed

They are not dead . . . they will just require free maintenance from MSFT 8 months after purchase. Microsoft is going to end up losing money on their console again this generation from excessive warranty repairs. :lol

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
finally got a chance to open mine up and connect it... sounds quiet... and is a 2006 model... i dont know how to find the heat sink, but hopefully it has it

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
Sent mine off Tuesday and im getting it back today, Friday.

Its nice to have the repair center in the same state you live.

RPS37

Danielsan said:
About ****ing time Microsoft.. it's been 6 weeks and 3 days since it arrived at the repaircenter and I still don't have it back.

TheDiabolical said:
Sent mine off Tuesday and im getting it back today, Friday.

DSN2K said:
23 days and no 360, looks like MS are getting a nasty call tomorrow.

Damn, Microsoft.
Inconsistency FTL.

Treo360

speculawyer said:
They are not dead . . . they will just require free maintenance from MSFT 8 months after purchase. Microsoft is going to end up losing money on their console again this generation from excessive warranty repairs. :lol

Would've been nice that this last one lasted 8 months however here's a quick break down of mine.

1st one was a launch unit. That died in April of last year
tta (total time alive) 4.25 months

2nd born on date of May '06 Walmart Swapped in April died the week of Halo 3 beta
tta- 13 months

3rd unit swapped May 31st died July 17th (Born on date Dec 26 06)
tta 1.5 months

4th unit purchased for probable swap on July 25th (born on date Dec 26 06 ironically)
tta 10 fraking days!

alr1ghtstart said:
I received an email saying the received my box, but now my status says

WTF!

How are they emailing people? Is it through the windows messenger ID connected to your live account? When I called 1-800-4MY-XBOX, they didn't ask for it :/

And is the reference # the same as the tracking number?

GhaleonEB

Secks4Food said:
How are they emailing people? Is it through the windows messenger ID connected to your live account? When I called 1-800-4MY-XBOX, they didn't ask for it :/

And is the reference # the same as the tracking number?
Yes, the email they use is the one associated with your Live ID. I got my confirmation that the repair center has my 360 a few days ago.

I think the answer to your last question is yes, as well.

So far since my 360 went in, there's an XBLA expansion pack and two XBLA games I want to buy. If Mutant Storm Empire comes out this week, that will be another - gonna have my first backlog to actually work off. I just hope I have it back in time for Bioshock.

DMczaf

Matrix said:
Dont expect it to be picked up and actually shipped till Monday.

That is much better than before,looks like they have picked things up.

Hope for the new heatsink.

Type: Package
Rescheduled Delivery: 08/08/2007

MC ALLEN,
TX, US 08/03/2007 4:04 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN

Woo!

Matrix

DMczaf said:
Type: Package
Rescheduled Delivery: 08/08/2007

MC ALLEN,
TX, US 08/03/2007 4:04 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN

Woo!

I love how its 3 day select yet it's really 4 to 5 days of shipping and they always manage to ship them out right before the weekend....

so you have to wait longer! :(

Are there any British users on here who have had to go through the repairs procedure recently? What time frame were you looking at from start to finish.

Mine has not died, but I'm convinced its on the way. I like to be prepared!

DMczaf

Matrix said:
I love how its 3 day select yet it's really 4 to 5 days of shipping and they always manage to ship them out right before the weekend.

:lol

Oh well, I'm not complaining. I end up getting my 360 back before Madden!
and I can take this core back to Walmart and get my $300 back!

DSN2K

sionyboy said:
Are there any British users on here who have had to go through the repairs procedure recently? What time frame were you looking at from start to finish.

Mine has not died, but I'm convinced its on the way. I like to be prepared!

I was told up to 25 working days from when they recieved the unit, they got mine on the 11th of July.

Matrix

alr1ghtstart said:
is there some special trick to opening that site? it always loads the title, just hangs and never loads.

No special trick,it opens up fine for me in Safari.

Matrix

Here's what it says...

"
Feeling cool? How to tell if your repaired Xbox 360 has the new additional heatsink

Xbox 360We recently reported that repaired Xbox 360’s were being given an extra heatsink to help aid the systems cooling. Microsoft were quick to shrug off the rumour and Todd Holmdahl, Microsoft’s corporate vice president of Gaming and Xbox Products Group, promptly added that hardware complaints came only from the vocal minority.

It has become clear however that new heatsinks are in fact being installed and if you’ve recently had your console repaired, continue reading to find out how to tell if you’ve benefited from the additional hardware.

MRCUR over on the official Xbox forums has provided this guide:

How to see if you have the new heatsink (without voiding your warranty):

First, you need a flashlight so you can see inside easily. Then look at the BOTTOM of the console (or the side opposite of the HD) and stick the flashlight up to the grill. If you look VERY closely at the middle area, you should see the side of the CPU heatsink. It is very tall, silver, and has a gold rod coming out the bottom and again at the top (it loops).

If you see at the very bottom, there should be a line of black little cylinders. These go from the left most area of the bottom to the right most area. If you look directly above these black (with gold lettering (at least that is what mine is)) cylinders, and directly LEFT of the CPU heatsink, you should see something that is “floating” above the black cylinders. You should also see a nub of either silver or gold towards the left on this floating heatsink.

You will only see it over the last TWO-THREE black cylinders. You should see the numb of silver/gold in between the last two black cylinders.

Take a look at the below picture. You should see that nub and the side of the silver through the bottom of the console. Notice how the nub is in between the last two black cylinders.

newheatsink1thumb.jpg

We found the above guide to be helpful if not a little cryptic and to help ease the procedure, fellow forum user Your Chagrin provided the following image highlighting exactly what it is you’re looking for:
newheatsink2thumb.jpg

So there we have it, the new heatsinks are definitely happening and people who’ve recently had their Xbox 360 repaired are discovering this new found piece of hardware in their machines. Will it help prolong the life of the console? Well, only time will tell but with my console currently at the repair centre, I can only hope so!

As far as we can tell, this new heatsink can currently only be found in repaired Xbox 360 consoles. New buyers will have to wait until later this year when certain console revisions are expected to be made."

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
My Elite manufactured on June 29 of this year has the extra heatsink. Elites in stores right now should have all the fixes.

Rorschach

Whelp...that about wraps it up for this box. Only used it 3 times, but it has stopped reading discs. Made a disturbing noise similar to the one I heard when my previous one stopped working. I waited all that time, way more than the average time, just to get back a dud. Thanks a lot. I wonder if I should even try again. Will they fix my problem or will they just send me another one that's pretty much DoA? I think I give up.

Top Bottom