• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps in Brawl, everything you unlock is determined by your total number of coins earned throughout the various modes.

For example, once you've amassed, say, 30 coins Jigglypuff is unlocked, then, maybe after getting another 20, Luigi is unlocked.

Rexaur

Cranehand2ndComing said:
Goemon confirmed. Neutral B move is coin throw.

Charge B for Super Coin throw. It's kinda sad that Goemon has recently been neglected outside of Japan for the past few years because having him in Smash would be awesome. Humm...he's on the VC though so who knows.

And on topic, does the trophy machine count as shopping? Maybe there'll be a slot machine or something...and they'll claim it's gambling, or have some sort of gambling mini-game for unlockables.

PkunkFury

layzie1989 said:
Huh? You’re wondering what the coins on the Stage Clear screen are for? Um, you think they’re there to make it look more lively?

No, no. You earn and save these up little by little as you play. And supposedly you can use them somewhere. But no—you don’t use them to shop.

What the hell does that mean?

they look like trophy bases. In this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LopEh45ldc4

it seems like DK gets one and throws it at paratroopa to create a para troopa trophy (1:35), but I could be wrong. Also, these two things could have nothing to do with one another

m00

I'm getting in on some of this level creation action:

2i9k1vr.jpg
2vn3pe8.jpg

And the obligatory work of art on which to brawl:

a4sx8j.jpg

Rexaur

About that stock thing, I'm hoping that the HUD will be customizable a little. The graphics on the bottom look nice, but if it's anything like Melee, with four players sometimes they get in the way and you can't see your character.

Hopefully they can be made somewhat opaque or something, since these graphics look like they take up even more space than Melee's.

Jiggy

-This is the 13th (non-Subspace Emissary) game mode update counting the stealth update of Replays. Game mode updates now outnumber special moves while tying with final smashes and music.

-Each of the past four weeks, including this one, have had at least one game mode update. On the other hand, we've now escaped for thirty-one glorious days of updates without a normal item. How long can we hold out? :eek:

It's a good thing today was already the day I had picked to get to sleep early for once.
Out of necessity more than choice, of course. >_>
Pretty tame.

Rexaur said:
About that stock thing, I'm hoping that the HUD will be customizable a little. The graphics on the bottom look nice, but if it's anything like Melee, with four players sometimes they get in the way and you can't see your character.

Hopefully they can be made somewhat opaque or something, since these graphics look like they take up even more space than Melee's.
I just watched a video from October to see how they handle this -- the icons/backgrounds of the character plates fade out when a character is behind them. The character name and percentage do not change though.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Actually, classic seems to have regressed a little. In Melee, the opponents were totally random. In this one, you face them in a franchise-specific order (though I imagine that you face a random representative from each game).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Iam Canadian said:
Actually, classic seems to have regressed a little. In Melee, the opponents were totally random. In this one, you face them in a franchise-specific order (though I imagine that you face a random representative from each game).

You know, there's one thing that could be pulled from that... namely, if the random factor holds true, it implies that every series-based level in Classic mode will have at least two characters to represent it.

How many classic stages were in Melee? In SSB, there were enough for each of the starting franchises.

While this IS vague, it could imply that we'll see at least one more F-Zero character, one more Mother character, and one more Metroid character.

Chumly

Im happy that Classic mode has made a return. Its going to be absolutely insane the amount of things you can do in this game.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
DavidDayton said:
You know, there's one thing that could be pulled from that... namely, if the random factor holds true, it implies that every series-based level in Classic mode will have at least two characters to represent it.

How many classic stages were in Melee? In SSB, there were enough for each of the starting franchises.

While this IS vague, it could imply that we'll see at least one more F-Zero character, one more Mother character, and one more Metroid character.

But then there would have to be one more Ice Climber character, and I'm not even sure that's possible

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
grandjedi6 said:
But then there would have to be one more Ice Climber character, and I'm not even sure that's possible
Or another Game and Watch character unless they have an actually have a physical Game and Watch as a fighter much like how I originally thought Mr Game and Watch looked like when I first read how to unlock him.

turk128

Keru_Shiri said:
Perhaps in Brawl, everything you unlock is determined by your total number of coins earned throughout the various modes.

For example, once you've amassed, say, 30 coins Jigglypuff is unlocked, then, maybe after getting another 20, Luigi is unlocked.
Or even more parts for the stage edit mode.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
... seriously I dont know if there is any point having a job after February... I dont think I will make it for a month or so... and neither will any of my close friends...

G-O-F 100 percent... god damn I want this game now but I will wait until its perfect :D

dfyb

Banned
maybe you use coins to get trophies... like in melee. you didn't shop for trophies -- you basically gambled and hoped you got a new one.

RagnarokX

dfyb said:
maybe you use coins to get trophies... like in melee. you didn't shop for trophies -- you basically gambled and hoped you got a new one.
Yeah, I think NOA Nate was just trying to be funny (and failed).

2gv0pqe.jpg

A happy stage.

m00

One more custom level and then I'm going to bed. Loop not guaranteed, but I think it will work with Sonic's b-down or b-over.

2uo42ed.jpg

nli10

grandjedi6 said:

Unless the Ice-Climbers were branded as NES group characters and clumped with another 8 bit character?

NeonZ

nli10 said:
Unless the Ice-Climbers were branded as NES group characters and clumped with another 8 bit character?

Considering the description, I think that's possible. Otherwise, some characters would be always faced while others would be random, making the mode completely unbalanced, and there would be too many matches.

I'm guessing that the Ice Climbers, Pit and probably a third character will be grouped under a single "Nes classics" group for the Classic mode.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Linkzg said:
am I the only one who things you will be able to use coins to bet in online matches? that would be awesome.

That would be awesome. I wonder how many Brawl professional players would take dives if that was the case.

dfyb

Banned
Linkzg said:
am I the only one who things you will be able to use coins to bet in online matches? that would be awesome.
that would be awesome. online ranking systems should adopt a similar betting system.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
M3wThr33 said:
I'm a little scared to see the final product. The sheer amount of menus in menus in menus is going to be a little daunting.
Nothing your typical RPG hasn't delved into, really.

Malfunky

Messed around for a while and noticed the platform in the middle looked like a mustache, so I went from there.

wariobrawl.jpg

I was thinking about making the teeth chomp or something, but the editor made it look stupid(er).

Haunted

Ah, classic mode. One of those 'no shit, sherlock' updates.

And all the rudimentary stage ideas already done in this thread help me stay positive that there will be worthwhile things done with the stage builder. :)

Can't wait for the flat Final Destination clones the smashboards kids will churn out everyday! >_<

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Classic looks great as always. But what will we use the coins for if not for buying things? You're supposed to spend money Sakurai...

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
dfyb said:
some of these aren't even levels at all. i'd like to see gameplay ideas some of you have. i'm not going to subscribe to the level-of-the-day if they aren't levels, and instead just pixel art that is hardly playable. making pixel art with it just seems off-topic to me.

I agree, real gameplay ideas are what I want to see more of. Theres no thinking in pixel art.
The second goatse looked somewhat playable though...

Soulhouf

Malfunky said:
Messed around for a while and noticed the platform in the middle looked like a mustache, so I went from there.

wariobrawl.jpg

I was thinking about making the teeth chomp or something, but the editor made it look stupid(er).
:lol

Scribble

SovanJedi said:
This thing has pretty much been fuelling the progress for the last 10 pages (20 pages if you're a pleb and view it 50-a-page).

I expect once the actual official topic starts on it there will be a special division of it dedicated to just level designs.

Heh, the Stage Builder update marks the beginning of a new era in this thread.
Until She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is announced

Tbh, I lol'd at Smashboards getting excited over being able to create Final Destination variations (oxymoron?), but it's cool. I'm just looking forward to seeing all the wacky stages that people design (It's happening already). It also means unlimited large Hyrule Temple-esque stages.

It's funny how the features in our Future-Megaton lists are become extremely specific and off-the-wall, as everything seems to be in the game already. But let me try. Some of these are only feathertons, btw.

*3rd 3rd Party Character - It should happen closer to launch.

*Mii Announcement - I don't agree that Miis should be playable characters, but it'd still be a huge announcement.

* DS Connectivity

* Geno and Ridley (I know Geno is Square, but he would have the SMB logo). The indifferent-to-fanservice people wouldn't care about this, but these characters have HUGE followings in the SSB communities

* Alternate Costumes - Probably not going to happen

* Online Co-Op Subspace Emissary - "Confirmed" by IGN?

* Voice Chat

* Customisable Event Mode (Like JoshuaJSlone's idea), or Nintendo-updated Event Mode over Wifi

* Costume Recolour Mode

* Trophy trading

The only thing I can think of right now that would be a really great addition would be unlockable EX versions of characters who were already in Melee/Smash 64, they would play just like their original counterparts from those games.

Blablurn

EX versions sound nice.

And I want alternate costumes. Maybe with small gameplay changes. Mario -> Dr. Mario would be a great example, so they dont have Dr. Mario as a clone, but as a costume.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Coins could be used for more than trophies. Alternate costumes, stickers, stage modes, items, etc. New and more complex stage pieces should be purchasable with coins, the possibilities are endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom