• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD upgrade is just like PS3 slim, need Firmware on USB stick, and it wobbles

It's not cheap it's just balanced on the heavier side. It won't move unless you press down on it.

So were the PS2 and PS3 but those don't wobble when you press down lightly on any part of them...

This has to be some kind of manufacturing issue that will get sorted out in the next batch. It doesn't look like all of them have this problem though.

Twinduct

Well I guess that's it right? I finally have no more reasons to get this device. Do they really expect me to not constantly apply and lift pressure on one of the corners? What if a large body of ants decide to walk over my PS4's corner when I game? Will the disc scratch?

kyser73

Wobblegate was done to death elsewhere.

It's a design 'feature', presumably to make the 4 look prettier when standing vertically so you don't see two rubber squares at the top of the unit.

Damn silly - and I suspect it's going to be a pretty random thing happening too, since the two little stand things that sit inside the dividing line are what is causing the non-problem - unless you let your animals, kids, elderly relatives and so on climb all over the machine.

MADGAME

Could be bad down the road for a class-action lawsuit if malfunctions start transpiring. Consumers have a scapegoat...shitty craftsmanship. Recall or issue a remedy free of charge like Nintendo did with the Wiimote condoms.

imagine this.
you have a table.
it has 3 legs.
the table stands level and true despite the missing leg...
until you press down on the unsupported corner.

look at the gif. the system is level until he presses down with the screw driver.
this is a non-issue.

physics, whats that about?

I wobbles only because the feet are located on the right side and where the matte turns to gloss. There are no feet on the gloss end and I can only assume this was intentional for some reason. My guess is so that it looks cooler standing upright.

Bookoo

It wobbles if you put pressure down on the glossy side.

Yes, but if you saw the previous Quicklook on the hardware it looked like the entire device slanted down to right (the glossy side is higher up than the matte side).

Not a big deal to me, but it is strange they wouldn't polish that up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wish Kutaragi was here to school you all in designer's prerogative and admonish you for questioning this!

(I'll be standing my PS4 vertically. Just like my PS3.)

So to clear up the wobble - it actually sits level, but the glossy side does not have a rubber foot (for whatever reason) and therefore you can push that side down, right? It's not like it sits where one corner is down and one is up unless you push on it.

rIUV0BH.jpg

PS4 has 3 feet. Pushing on the gloss side (the top) will make it wobble.

Now people need to stop over reacting.

Also, the Power Supply is on the "bottom" side, so it should keep it firmly on the table with the 3 feet it has.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
We can't download the firmware update directly to the PS4? We need to download it to USB?

Metfanant

Wait...so are there three rubber feet? Two? Or four?....

- If four...this is bad...
- If two...this is just dumb...and bad...
- if three...its pretentious...and dumb...but not really an issue...

Edit...I see now...its a non issue for operation...that being said...for peace of mind...she is getting a fourth rubber foot on Friday

So to clear up the wobble - it actually sits level, but the glossy side does not have a rubber foot (for whatever reason) and therefore you can push that side down, right? It's not like it sits where one corner is down and one is up unless you push on it.

In the Giant Bomb video one of the first things they noticed was that it was uneven while just sitting on the table, then Jeff touched a corner and it wobbled. But we've seen other pictures where it seems to be sitting level, so it looks like this might be a hit or miss kind of thing.

NHale

Wobblegate was done to death elsewhere.

It's a design 'feature', presumably to make the 4 look prettier when standing vertically so you don't see two rubber squares at the top of the unit.

Damn silly - and I suspect it's going to be a pretty random thing happening too, since the two little stand things that sit inside the dividing line are what is causing the non-problem - unless you let your animals, kids, elderly relatives and so on climb all over the machine.

Estetics <<<<<<<<<<<<< Functionality. If your system wobbles because you took out support from the base to make it prettier then you deserve all the shit that it's going to happen.

This is amateurism. I understand most people will not have to deal with this issue at all but anyone that has small kids is probably bracing for problems. Unless Sony bundles a kids leach. But a pretty one even if it's uneven.

rIUV0BH.jpg

Looking at that pic, I am now thoroughly convinced this was done for aesthetic reasons so that it looks nice vertical and you don't have feet sticking out of the top.

rIUV0BH.jpg

Also, the Power Supply is on the "bottom" side, so it should keep it firmly on the table with the 3 feet it has.

Ah, that explains it. Still, I wouldn't have minded another of that 'low-profile' foot at the top, Mr. Designer.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
We can't download the firmware update directly to the PS4? We need to download it to USB?
The OS resides on the HDD, if you swap it you need to format the drive and install a fresh copy of the OS via USB.

1.jpg

Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software) - IMPORTANT: Deletes all information on the HDD, including the System Software. A message that states a USB storage device containing the System Software must be connected, is displayed. Then you can confirm the selection.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044

If you just want to update the system you can do that directly on the console, via USB, or by burning a disc.

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/index.htm

NHale

Ordered some black rubber feet from Amazon. Will see how they look. Pack
Of 100 for 8 bucks.

It's always great when anyone buys an electronic hardware and has to buy pieces to fix it out of the box.

Great design Sony! But hey it looks pretty when standing vertical.

daveo42

Banned
Poor design choice there. Surprised they didn't just go with the tiny rubber squares or even small plastic nubs for the base. Sony confirms proper way to set up PS4 is vertical?

Poor design choice there. Surprised they didn't just go with the tiny rubber squares or even small plastic nubs for the base. Sony confirms proper way to set up PS4 is vertical?

It sits flat if you put it horizontal, but because the glossy area doesn't have a foot underneath it, if you push force to lift the weight of the other side it'll wobble because the other 2 feet will act as a fulcrum. It's basic physics.

Am I crazy? Im having trouble finding hard drives that would fit in the PS4. Can anybody help me? =\

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B99JUBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

1TB with 64mb cache.

The wobbling is bad but I can't believe you need to open your console to add more space. This is acceptable?

Did you even watch the video? Is popping open a lid and removing one screw is really that awful to you?

I wouldn't consider swapping the hard drive on the PS4 as "opening" the console.

It sits flat if you put it horizontal, but because the glossy area doesn't have a foot underneath it, if you push force to lift the weight of the other side it'll wobble because the other 2 feet will act as a fulcrum. It's basic physics.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B99JUBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

1TB with 64mb cache.

Yeah but that's only a terabyte. If Im going to go through the trouble and cost I need to be at least getting 1.5 tb or 2 tb but I can't find any.

Looking at that pic, I am now thoroughly convinced this was done for aesthetic reasons so that it looks nice vertical and you don't have feet sticking out of the top.

This. The pressure required to counter balance the weight of the bottom end of the console is too great for it to happen on its own. The feet are under the heaviest part.

This is such a non issue. I'd rather not have a dumb rubber foot sticking out while it's vertical.

ironcreed

Banned
Not a big deal, but I like Microsoft's solution of allowing us to add an external drive. It will be faster and easier for me.

gruenel

It's always great when anyone buys an electronic hardware and has to buy pieces to fix it out of the box.

Great design Sony! But hey it looks pretty when standing vertical.

What exactly is there to fix? I swear this shit here is driving me nuts.

w00zey

Sometimes the best thing about neogaf is the people who say "that doesn't matter" on console A but if it happened on console B it would catastrophic. Needless to say I hope mine doesn't wobble but I guess as long as it doesn't shimmy and slowly shake foward and fall off my entertainment center it isn't a big deal.

Top Bottom