• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD upgrade is just like PS3 slim, need Firmware on USB stick, and it wobbles

If they were so worried about aesthetics would it've been the worst thing in the world for them to just put a small embossed rubber SONY logo at the very top or one of the corners to give it some stability on that end?

I'm not so worried about it scratching discs (which would rarely be spinning anyway) but more so that it just looks cheap and poorly thought out. It reminds me of the cheap HDTVs you seen in stores where the stand sucks so the screen is never really held up perfectly straight and wobbles when you use the manual controls.

jond76

Banned
coddo.png

Exile20

Did you even watch the video? Is popping open a lid and removing one screw is really that awful to you?

I wouldn't consider swapping the hard drive on the PS4 as "opening" the console.

Having to open your console is bad especially for a person/family that is not tech savy.

But that really bothers me is the situation of upgrading space after you fill up your hard drive with games. What is the process? Is it as simple as plugging in a usb drive and going about your gaming? Ofcourse not, so what is the process?

rIUV0BH.jpg

PS4 has 3 feet. Pushing on the gloss side (the top) will make it wobble.

Now people need to stop over reacting.

Also, the Power Supply is on the "bottom" side, so it should keep it firmly on the table with the 3 feet it has.

Noted, but in that video the console is clearly raised on the left-hand side, whereas it is flush with the table on the right hand side. Of course, it could be the table that isn't level, and not the console.

J-Rod

Probably takes a significant amount of downward pressure to counterbalance it at that point and cause it to wobble. Something that probably will never happen outside of breaking a screw.

Why? Are you actively going to be pushing down on the console?
Whats you reasoning.

He shouldn't need further reasoning for you to feel the need to argue against.

It's bad design. It is. It should have had a 4th foot and I've no clue why it doesn't. It's kinda bizarre, really.

Brando

Neo Member
There's two sides to this coin.

1. The system wobbles, it shouldn't, obviously. If you pay for a $400 dollar machine, you don't expect it to wobble, makes it feel a bit cheap.

2. It wobbles, it's not that big of a deal. Unless you push on it, it won't wobble.

I still can't believe not a single person at Sony pointed out "If you put your hand on this side, it wobbles. We should fix that".

Muffdraul

As long as it doesn't wobble when vertical, I'm good.

Though I'm annoyed that so far it seems like there's no official Sony PS4 vertical stand.

Sanke__

Im trying to learn more about upgrading a ps4 hard drive. Why is everyone talking about wobble? Isnt there a wobble thread already?

Eusis

You know everyone would be all over this if it was the Xbox one.

But because it's Sony, it's OK, and who touches the console anyway?
This would be one of the issues I don't think people would generally give much of a shit about with the XB1, or if they did it'd be because of the 360's notorious reputation for scratching discs.

Though given that some people really do seem to care about the wobbling for more than jokes maybe we would see it slammed on both fronts.

mattp

its almost like sony was trying to make it a reference to the ps2/ps3 designs with the bit that always hangs over on the one side

but when the thing "hanging over" on one side is basically flush with the floor, it makes it look like the whole thing wobbles

if it was like this(like the ps2 and ps3) it wouldn't seem off balance haha:

Vizzeh

Banned
That thread was locked bro.

Damn that sucks, was just afraid of people jumping on the wobble story rather than the harddrive. (as I thought the other existed, my bad :p)

Looking forward to seeing the results for the SSD drive, already just checking out resogun theres a load time difference. I wonder how it will perform in the more complex games :) - Looks easy to swap out also.

Erasus

Can I use my PS4's HDD for my fat PS3? My PS3 needs a HDD in a bad way so this is hitting 2 birds with 1 stone.

Yes, PS3 and PS4 both use a 2.5" laptop HDD. Should work great.

Any word if the PS4's power supply can handle a 7200RPM HDD?

No, but 7200RPM does not draw a lot more power. Like 0.5-1 watts more.
And the PS3 can handle 7200RPM just fine.

UK Here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00COFNBPA/

this is 2.5" and 2TB would this do?

eeeeh, I would not use a WD Green for anything gaming/video related. They are made for storage of media like music/movies, big capacity but slow. Has agressive power saving, spins down too much.

Wobble bitching is making my head hurt. If it wobbled with NO pressure then yes that's a bad design flaw. How can it be bad design when you HAVE to put pressure on it to make it wobble? That makes no sense. That's like saying the fat PS2 wobbles when i put pressure on the top part. I'm pretty sure the design team didn't think anyone was going to be poking the shit out of the console to make it wobble. Good lord.

On topic i got a 1tb sshd ready to go. Hopefully adds some good performance.

DirtyLarry

I am at work so only have had the opportunity to check out the threads that have interested me, and not every single response, so I am curious has it been confirmed all PS4's wobble??

Also without sounding terribly obvious, is there a chance the ones that wobble are on an uneven surface? Glass and wood surfaces can and in fact do slightly warp over time.

frayne182

Banned
Wobble bitching is making my head hurt. If it wobbled with NO pressure then yes that's a bad design flaw. How can it be bad design when you HAVE to put pressure on it to make it wobble? That makes no sense. That's like saying the fat PS2 wobbles when i put pressure on the top part. I'm pretty sure the design team didn't think anyone was going to be poking the shit out of the console to make it wobble. Good lord.

On topic i got a 1tb sshd ready to go. Hopefully adds some good performance.

Clearly its a design flaw. It shouldn't wobble at all. I don't put pressure on any of my home theatre devices and get wobble.

Its not that big of a deal though. To be honest its up there with the resolution complaints in my opinion. Both are annoying but won't make the difference between what system I choose.

Clearly its a design flaw. It shouldn't wobble at all. I don't put pressure on any of my home theatre devices and get wobble.

Its not that big of a deal though. To be honest its up there with the resolution complaints in my opinion. Both are annoying but won't make the difference between what system I choose.

I guess we have different opinions on what design flaw means. Maybe people poke their consoles more than i thought.

hlhbk

So glad I am holding off till spring on the PS4. Say what you want people, the wobble is unacceptable when you pay $400.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The OS resides on the HDD, if you swap it you need to format the drive and install a fresh copy of the OS via USB.

If you just want to update the system you can do that directly on the console, via USB, or by burning a disc.

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/index.htm
Oh cool, thanks. The way the thread title is worded made me think the firmware needs to be installed via USB no matter what, even if the console is online.

Lunzio

The wobble could be considered a design flaw - yes. It's certainly not a manufacturing flaw.

It's clear that the console was built that way, and as somebody who is putting money down on the product, it's absolutely not a problem.

It's hard to argue either side of this quite honestly because it's moreso a matter of preference. Your games won't be scratched because of the wobble that is only apparent when applying pressure on the console itself. The lack of a rubber foot is also a valid concern by those who are paranoid.

Looking at the design, the lack of footing is intentional, and is meant to provide the illusion that the console is hovering on that particular side. It's obviously heavily counterbalanced.

Take that for what you will.

Do ppl get that half the ps4 is not supposed to touch the table? That forcing it to touch the table is what's making it wobble? I didn't get y it was wobbling at first but that's the design. Sayin its a design flaw Its like sayin the millennium falcon won't fly cause its not designed like anything else. The design dictates whether or not it is faulty by if it works

The wobble could be considered a design flaw - yes. It's certainly not a manufacturing flaw.

It's clear that the console was built that way, and as somebody who is putting money down on the product, it's absolutely not a problem.

It's hard to argue either side of this quite honestly because it's moreso a matter of preference. Your games won't be scratched because of the wobble that is only apparent when applying pressure on the console itself. The lack of a rubber foot is also a valid concern by those who are paranoid.

Looking at the design, the lack of footing is intentional, and is meant to provide the illusion that the console is hovering on that particular side. It's obviously heavily counterbalanced.

Take that for what you will.

Your reasonable post is frowned upon. There are two console launches in the next two weeks. It's time for the crazies to shine.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I can't agree with it being a non issue, the device has moving parts - one of which is likely to cause vibration (the BR Drive). Having uneven feet that allows the devise to wobble due to vibration is not good.

While the PS4 is just sitting there, its a non issue, when the PS4 is use it is an issue - not device such as this (with moving parts that can damage media due to vibration) should be able to wobble that much.

This Wobble-gate is easily the most asinine to come out of the "Lulz Sony" nonsense this week. Gertsmann puts pressure on a the PS4 (likely more pressure than the PS4 will over undergo) so that it wobbles on it's three rubber pegs and this is a frakking issue? Really? If you don't want it to wobble because you can't help put put pressure on it - remove the rubble nips.

Just mind boggling stupid all around. . .

Spinluck

this reminds me of that breaking bad episode when they are all sitting in the
hospital waiting for hank to recover,
and Walt sees the wobbly table and tears a page out of a magazine and folds it up to fix the wobbly table.

i'm the kind of dude that would do that. why and how does it wobble? why?

:-(

Pimpbaa

The wobbling is bad but I can't believe you need to open your console to add more space. This is acceptable?

How does removing a plastic cover mean opening up your console? What isn't acceptable is having a non replaceable hard drive.

Top Bottom