• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD upgrade is just like PS3 slim, need Firmware on USB stick, and it wobbles

Vizzeh

Banned
OP, there was already a thread for that wobble, having 2 topics will make for difficulty discussing the PS4 Harddrive.

If you guys watch the PS4 videos or hard drive install video, there is nothing noticeable.. that GIF seems exaggerating any issue.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How hard is it to just buy a slightly thicker rubber bumper?

daveo42

Banned
It sits flat if you put it horizontal, but because the glossy area doesn't have a foot underneath it, if you push force to lift the weight of the other side it'll wobble because the other 2 feet will act as a fulcrum. It's basic physics.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B99JUBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

1TB with 64mb cache.

I'm not debating physics, I'm debating design here. Four points of contact at the corners of the base of the console would eliminate this issue entirely. Placing it closer to the middle doesn't seem like the smartest choice, even if the end user will never notice this.

Yeah but that's only a terabyte. If Im going to go through the trouble and cost I need to be at least getting 1.5 tb or 2 tb but I can't find any.

You won't find a 2TB.

Biggest is 1.5TB

(SOLD OUT)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDIU5IW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Couldn't find one on Newegg. Also, the 1.5TB's don't have large caches.

Sorry.

I'm not debating physics, I'm debating design here. Four points of contact at the corners of the base of the console would eliminate this issue entirely. Placing it closer to the middle doesn't seem like the smartest choice, even if the end user will never notice this.

I'm sure they considered it but didn't want to have rubber feet at the top if someone where to put it vertically. Considering normal use won't cause it to wobble, I don't see it being an issue.

This is like silly season the week before a presidential election. Everything little thing is a PR disaster/big drama.

THE NEW YORK TIMES SAYS "PS4 WOBBLES".

CAN YOU TRUST PS4 WITH YOUR GAMES?

Paid for by Citizens Against Playtation PAC

a.aaa-no-fun-allowed.ogu9s.jpg

If the console vibrates while in use because of this i'll seriously get annoyed.

mf.luder

Who's going to be pushing their console like this to make it wobble?

I don't get this. At all.

Edit: if this happens while the disc is spinning, then I can see this being an issue.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Who's going to be pushing their console like this to make it wobble?

I don't get this. At all.

Edit: if this happens while the disc is spinning, then I can see this being an issue.
It won't wobble during disc spin. It can't. It's physically impossible if you have all 3 feet on a flat surface.

So whats a good ssd drive that will work for ps4 thats not not overly expensive? Can someone post a link
  • SSD
  • Not Overly Expensive
Pick one.

What is the rpm on the sony hdd they are using? I just worry that 5400 isn't good enough.

5400rpm.

EDIT: Fuck it, I'm out of here.

Who needs information anyway??

mobius006

I wish this thread was less about the wobble and more about the hard drive stuff.

doing a 256 ssd in mine... slightly worried about the starting size of the OS and stuff now. Was thinking I could fit every launch game I wanted.. now maybe not so much?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
rIUV0BH.jpg

PS4 has 3 feet. Pushing on the gloss side (the top) will make it wobble.

Now people need to stop over reacting.

Also, the Power Supply is on the "bottom" side, so it should keep it firmly on the table with the 3 feet it has.

Thank you.
I thought it had 4 feet and one was not even touching the surface which would be a defect.

This makes sense now. One side of the PS4 will always be slightly above the surface.
More dusting!

daveo42

Banned
I'm sure they considered it but didn't want to have rubber feet at the top if someone where to put it vertically. Considering normal use won't cause it to wobble, I don't see it being an issue.

I don't really see it as an issue either, though I'm sure is some sort of alternative that would have kept the appealing, sleek design and avoided the issue entirely. I'm sure most people will be setting this thing vertically to begin with. I know I will for spacing reasons and I believe there were comments made in a previous thread stating the PS4 stays cooler when set vertically.

gruenel

Sometimes the best thing about neogaf is the people who say "that doesn't matter" on console A but if it happened on console B it would catastrophic. Needless to say I hope mine doesn't wobble but I guess as long as it doesn't shimmy and slowly shake foward and fall off my entertainment center it isn't a big deal.

You still didn't get that this is by design? Of course yours will wobble if you press it down.

This needs requoting on every page, in every thread.
Its the only way to be sure.

No, it doesn't. Some people have concerns, justified ones. But I'll leave that out of this thread because expressing them in another was a shit-show of responses.

That moment when the biggest criticism of the system is 'wobbling'.

We're there.

We're not even in possession of them. All we have is videos, what else are we supposed to criticize? The issues we don't know about yet?

Daffy Duck

You know everyone would be all over this if it was the Xbox one.

But because it's Sony, it's OK, and who touches the console anyway?

No, it doesn't. Some people have concerns, justified ones. But I'll leave that out of this thread because expressing them in another was a shit-show of responses.

We're not even in possession of them. All we have is videos, what else are we supposed to criticize? The issues we don't know about yet?

Why is this an issue? Will you be constantly pressing down on your PS4? This is a petty complaint in my opinion.

Why is this an issue? Will you be constantly pressing down on your PS4? This is a petty complaint in my opinion.

Read the other thread. I have some exploring pets that like electronics and a kid. I have said numerous times it's not a 'huge' issue, easily solvable and I even posted my resolution as my first post in the other thread (ignored) and it just became a shit show of posts asking "is your kid jumping on it?" "I'd be more worried about cats scratching shit up" .... that's not the fucking point. The point is, is why isn't it fucking stable when somebody puts the slightest pressure on one side of the machine? That's it.

It's fixable with a small piece of rubber. But i don't understand the decision. And I think expressing my opinion one way or another is fine. It's a stupid design decision.

Read the other thread. I have some exploring pets that like electronics and a kid. I have said numerous times it's not a 'huge' issue, easily solvable and I even posted my resolution as my first post in the other thread (ignored) and it just became a shit show of posts asking "is your cat jumping on it?" "I'd be more worried about cats scratching shit up" .... that's not the fucking point. The point is, is why isn't it fucking stable when somebody puts the slightest pressure on one side of the machine? That's it.

It's fixable with a small piece of rubber. But i don't understand the decision. And I think expressing my opinion one way or another is fine. It's a stupid design decision.

Ah, now I see the issue. Just get rid of your cats (kidding, kidding).

Well, if you don't have a nice place to store it (on a protected shelf, cabinet, etc.) then I can definitely see the issue.

B.O.O.M

You know everyone would be all over this if it was the Xbox one.

But because it's Sony, it's OK, and who touches the console anyway?

Paranoid much? This is a non issue and would be too if it was for the Xbone.

Getting tired of these comments tbh

Ah, now I see the issue. Just get rid of your cats (kidding, kidding).

Well, if you don't have a nice place to store it (on a protected shelf, cabinet, etc.) then I can definitely see the issue.

That's basically it, I have an open AV rack. I have some Ikea vases keeping them from sleeping on my receiver and I dust like a maniac (although I have shorthair cats).

I think the responses to people expressing concern is what is being overblown. It's not a 'major' issue. But with the possibility of disk scratching, I don't like to take chances.

panty

rIUV0BH.jpg

PS4 has 3 feet. Pushing on the gloss side (the top) will make it wobble.

Now people need to stop over reacting.

Also, the Power Supply is on the "bottom" side, so it should keep it firmly on the table with the 3 feet it has.

QFT.

Can't take people seriously who think the plastic would be bent or something.. come the fuck on.

Daffy Duck

Paranoid much? This is a non issue and would be too if it was for the Xbone.

Getting tired of these comments tbh

Not paranoid at all.

It's annoying to see it because of aesthetic reasons for people who stand the console up.

Guess I'll see for myself when I get one.

Top Bottom