• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Few questions guys. One... How do you see who you played with online in the case you need to report someone for harrasment? Two. Where is my battery life for my controller? Can't find it anywhere.

Neither exist as far as I can tell. I assume its just a matter of time until controller battery level gets addressed.

Ranger35

Neo Member
From what I heard concerning TV's, 120hz can increase input lag, so look for a gaming mode option. Also there is like an input lag database, with a bunch of TVs they test and measure input lag. I'm not gonna post a link because I think that is looked down upon but I'm sure google will have it on front page.

Edit: Gaming on a 40" 60hz, database said input lag of 26ms and so far, it certainly feels responsive like 26ms.

Ironically, despite CBOAT's impact on forums like neogaf, nothing has come close to Microsoft's E3 DRM stance with online connectivity and used games. The megaton wasn't the price. It wasn't the resolution/hardware disparities; it was a policy. And it was that ridiculous policy that had soured the console's image and ultimately made the audience (the core gamers) willing to accept the worst of it to be true.

I thought the 360 was the best place to play videogames last-gen and so I am hopeful Microsoft will be able to continue onwards from that DRM reversal to rebuild their image and platform.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm sorta confused on the changes to the friends. Does me being near the 100 cap on 360 change anything or can anyone still add me?

Parapraxis

Ironically, despite CBOAT's impact on forums like neogaf, nothing has come close to Microsoft's E3 DRM stance with online connectivity and used games. The megaton wasn't the price. It wasn't the resolution/hardware disparities; it was a policy. And it was that ridiculous policy that had soured the console's image and ultimately made the audience (the core gamers) willing to accept the worst of it to be true.

I thought the 360 was the best place to play videogames last-gen and so I am hopeful Microsoft will be able to continue onwards from that DRM reversal to rebuild their image and platform.

Of course those policies were ridiculous, and MS got rid of them, before they even bothered to give a definitive explanation of what they actually entailed.
But I think you need to watch your step when you say that things such as resolution/hardware disparities are a non-issue, it seems many people want to gloss over the discrepancies between the 2 new platforms.
Yes, it wasn't the "MEGATON" that might have been, according to CBOAT, However this seems to be more due to the press not willing to actually address it.
However from the perspective of tech savvy consumers, it is actually an issue.

I suppose, luckily for MS, there are still people willing to ignore blatant issues with the system, like yourself, and the average "joe" who doesn't know any better.
But that in no way negates the impact of CBOATS "predictions" and the fact that the Xbox One employs shitty up-scalers in attempts to negate the HW difference.

Miles X

Of course those policies were ridiculous, and MS got rid of them, before they even bothered to give a definitive explanation of what they actually entailed.
But I think you need to watch your step when you say that things such as resolution/hardware disparities are a non-issue, it seems many people want to gloss over the discrepancies between the 2 new platforms.
Yes of course it wan't the "MEGATON" that might have been according to CBOAT, due to the press not willing to actually address it.
However from the perspective of tech savvy consumers, it is actually an issue.

I suppose, luckily for MS, there are still people willing to ignore blatant issues with the system, like yourself, and the average "joe" who doesn't know any better.
But that in no way negates the impact of CBOATS "predictions" and the fact that the Xbox One employs shitty up-scalers in attempts to negate the HW difference.

It's an issue to you clearly, doesn't mean it's an issue to anyone else. Why does Xbox One have to be on par with PS4 again? Oh right, it doesn't.

WiCkEd_Co

Is changing the gamertag name free on Xbox One? I was seeing if one I wanted was available and it wasn't but also notice it never mention charging me so I made another name up and it was about to change it for me without ever mention I would have to pay.

Klocker

Cold reboot worked for me.

how do you do that exactly?

thx

also anybody else have issues with gestures and Kinect seeing you in home screen? My gestures are janky as hell and if it even sees me raise my hand it usually wobbles all over the place like a bad mouse cursor. Occasionally works but for short periods then I need to go recalibrate

Parapraxis

It's an issue to you clearly, doesn't mean it's an issue to anyone else. Why does Xbox One have to be on par with PS4 again? Oh right, it doesn't.

It doesn't, you are right.
I was just pointing out the fact that the HW difference IS and WAS actually an extremely big deal, and it was dis-ingenuous for Meus Renaissance to downplay it, as if it were a complete non-issue.

RedStep

What the fuck? Did you just tell somebody to "watch their step" for not addressing resolution/performance differences to your liking? That doesn't feel insane to you?

There have always been and will always be performance differences in various platforms. The Vita puts out 5 times as many pixels as the 3DS' primary screen (in 2D), 960x544 to 400x240. So what? Nobody gives a shit, it's not a problem. If people want a 3DS (they do), they will buy one. If the pixels are important, they get a Vita (they don't).

All of a sudden we have lunatics acting like it's an "issue" that one platform puts out better graphics than the other. It's not a problem, it's never been a problem, and you look like a fucking psycho acting like this about it. The market will address the situation, the producers will go from there, and we'll all play some games.

Parapraxis

What the fuck? Did you just tell somebody to "watch their step" for not addressing resolution/performance differences to your liking? That doesn't feel insane to you?

There have always been and will always be performance differences in various platforms. The Vita puts out 5 times as many pixels as the 3DS' primary screen (in 2D), 960x544 to 400x240. So what? Nobody gives a shit, it's not a problem. If people want a 3DS (they do), they will buy one. If the pixels are important, they get a Vita (they don't).

All of a sudden we have lunatics acting like it's an "issue" that one platform puts out better graphics than the other. It's not a problem, it's never been a problem, and you look like a fucking psycho acting like this about it. The market will address the situation, the producers will go from there, and we'll all play some games.

I didn't think I was being so vulgar, I apologize.
There's certainly no way MS would ever try to convince the general public that their console is just as capable (if not more, 4 times) that the competition, no way.
Yes, I'm a lunatic, and resolution has never been an issue for any gamers. Ever. Especially not when 360 got better ports than PS3. Never did we see any reference among gamers, or the gaming press about the fact that games last gen on 360 often ran better, or at higher resolution than their PS3 counterparts.

I'm a crazed lunatic, or as you put it, a fucking psycho.
:)

Man I keep forgetting about suspend. Just booted up the console again and went into Dead Rising 3 and it instantly was where I left off. This is a proper next-gen feature.

Miles X

I didn't think I was being so vulgar, I apologize.
There's certainly no way MS would ever try to convince the general public that their console is just as capable (if not more, 4 times) that the competition, no way.
Yes, I'm a lunatic, and resolution has never been an issue for any gamers. Ever. Especially not when 360 got better ports than PS3. Never did we see any reference among gamers, or the gaming press about the fact that games last gen on 360 often ran better, or at higher resolution than their PS3 counterparts.

I'm a crazed lunatic, or as you put it, a fucking psycho.
:)

There is a difference between noticing it and saying it's a 'big issue'. Was PS3 a crap system that people should avoid because of it? Hell no.

I don't even get what point you're trying to make, you're just over-blowing the situation to justify saying the Xbox One is a dud.

Whogie

My DPad seems to be a little bad. I have to press pass the click to get the down button to register. I'll take it to the Microsoft Store, but I don't want to lose my day one logo.

Hoping for good news on DLNA soon. MS seems to have mentioned that they're waiting on certification for DLNA. Hopefully that implies pull functionality like the 360 had.
Are there any other programs besides WMP that support Play To? WMP implementation doesn't run well, or run MKV.

Sean

Banned
It's been mentioned before, but "off" by itself is too similar to "on." The Kinect needs a bit more to differentiate.

Why would anybody ever issue an "Xbox On" voice command when their system is already powered on, though? That wouldn't do anything.

If the system is already on it should just listen for "Xbox Off", and if the system is off/in standby mode it should just listen for "Xbox On" (like it does already). This doesn't seem like it should be a problem at all.

There is a difference between noticing it and saying it's a 'big issue'. Was PS3 a crap system that people should avoid because of it? Hell no.

I don't even get what point you're trying to make, you're just over-blowing the situation to justify saying the Xbox One is a dud.

There's a segment of gamers for whom it is a big issue, but they are and always have been a minority. Otherwise we'd all be gaming on ninja PCs, and the SD to HD transition that we witnessed last gen wouldn't have taken as long as it has. Some people are really upset, more power to them, but once the launch period fever settles down, I don't think that most of us will give a shit. The knowledge of hardware inferiority will be out there, but for most folks it will be overshadowed by other priorities, like exclusive games, social connectedness, online functionality, add-on hardware features, and, yes, broader entertainment capabilities.

no angel

Dead rising keeps kicking me out. Delete my save and started from scratch. Always kicks me out at rhondas garage.

How do I reinstall?
Go to 'my games and apps', highlight dead rising then press the menu button (horizontal lines). Should be an uninstall option towards the bottom.

I had to do this with my ryse and forza installs, it fixed ryse but I haven't tried forza yet.

Basically time sensitive achievements. They stay on your account when you unlock them. They aren't actually worth gamerscore though, they're worth in-game awards. Killer Instinct gives you KP for completing the challenges - which are the in game currency.

The idea being that developers can add new stuff over time.

Are they tracked like achievements?

malfcn

My Skydrive lists 2 pictures, which is the amount of video uploads I have issued from Xbox One. Nothing actually shows up however.

There's a segment of gamers for whom it is a big issue, but they are and always have been a minority. Otherwise we'd all be gaming on ninja PCs, and the SD to HD transition that we witnessed last gen wouldn't have taken as long as it has. Some people are really upset, more power to them, but once the launch period fever settles down, I don't think that most of us will give a shit. The knowledge of hardware inferiority will be out there, but for most folks it will be overshadowed by other priorities, like exclusive games, social connectedness, online functionality, add-on hardware features, and, yes, broader entertainment capabilities.

I don't care about the weaker hardware, what I do care about however is MS using crappy upscaling techniques and ruin the picture quality of 720p games. killer instinct looks like crap because of the added sharpening and crushed blacks. I really hope they fix this cuz it's affecting my enjoyment for the console and makes me dread what DR3 will look like when it comes in the mail today.

Miles, what's the companion app? Is it a map? Please say its a big map. I so need a big map. And maybe one that has combos.

It's a big map as well as serving as a place where you can look over your missions (and activate them), answers calls/read messages, use it to locate items or stores and call in back-up

You can't use it to check combos or upgrade, which is pretty disappointing, but the rest is very well done through the app and means you have little to no reason to check the in game map if you have a tablet/laptop running smartglass to hand...

It basically works exactly as shown in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-vVvvrVOw

ekim

God... The fact that this console is completely region free is amazing. I just switched to English/US, bought ACIV for 44€ instead of 69€, switched back to German and it downloads the game. <3

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The NFL app is pretty fucking legit. Will give it a proper test tomorrow. I however don't play fantasy football.

It's hilarious. It's so over the top, and the graphics, although not super awesome, are better in person than I thought they would be judging from some of the videos I had seen. There's a lot going on, with camera angles, cinematic things happening with named enemies zooming in, and mixing up the gameplay. Here is the Giant Bomb quick look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDhcVkOqLQI

...and even though they were down on it when playing, I am having the complete opposite reaction while playing. Stages are pretty short and don't overstay their welcome, you spend upgrade points between each level, and in a way it reminds me of the craziness feeling I got while playing The Wonderful 101. The whole thing is just so weird, but it is speaking to me for sure. It's kind of like a theme park ride almost. I don't really know why reviews are so damn harsh, well I take that back, of course I know why. I have the racing games, and the military shoot em games, but this game along with Knack are my standout favorites.

"I feel weirdly compelled to give it a shot," was the parting message from Jeff and Brad at the end of this video, and I have to add to this, don't knock it until you try it.

Okay, I'm sold on this. Need to buy some credit first though...for this and Powerstar Golf...

Thanks for the impressions and videos.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
God... The fact that this console is completely region free is amazing. I just switched to English/US, bought ACIV for 44€ instead of 69€, switched back to German and it downloads the game. <3

Holy crap that works? And it's intended to work? Amazing!

I wish you could change game language separate from the UI language. I want the German voice commands because they work way more reliably imo, but the German VO is terrible in every game.

IRQ

Banned
Any of you know where the demos are? Games, arcade and indie demos?

On 360 I had this options on my profile to turn every action game to invert as standard. Couldn't find that on X1 :| Is it on X1?

Dueck

Banned
My DPad seems to be a little bad. I have to press pass the click to get the down button to register. I'll take it to the Microsoft Store, but I don't want to lose my day one logo.

That's definitely not right.

The left grip/handle on my controller has a panel that's a little bit loose. If you grab it by the lower end and press it in, it makes a clicking sound. If only it had a screw hole like the 360 one...

Functionally, everything seems fine (though I think the right trigger has yet to vibrate), and when the headset is plugged in it holds it in place. Thankfully, how I hold the controller to play is not impacted by this whatsoever. Where my hands actually sit is locked down properly. The only reason I didn't plan to exchange it was because of the stupid "day one" logo on it, which matches all three "day one" games I picked up... OCD!

Hammer24

Banned

:D I know, right. Download the american apps too, while you´re at it!

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

I love my 3ds but I'll play exclusives on it. I wouldn't buy virtues last reward on 3ds. Nine times out of ten the 360 had the best performing version of multiplats. That's why it was my number one system. The ps3 was for exclusives. Microsoft made it so you don't really need a Xbox One right now. I would never play multi plats on that thing. Resolution and performance Is a big deal to me when associated with price performance. I will buy an Xbox One when I can get one for under 300 pounds. Which I don't think will be too long. The ps4 is going to trounce it in sales. And Microsoft will have to respond

ekim

:D I know, right. Download the american apps too, while you´re at it!

Can I use them later with German region?

Btw: ACIV prompts for a uplay passport... I bought the game digitally - where is my code?

Edit: found it - I had to choose "buy a new passport" and then the shop pop up says that I already own his item and if I wish to install it.

dejay

Banned
Small gripe, and I know it's been said to death. But why is it "Xbox On" and "Xbox Turn Off". Why not just "Xbox Off". I know there are command sheets around, but damn I spent like 20 minutes trying to figure this one out.
KuGsj.gif

I was thinking about this question as I sat watching Groundhog Day, then I realised that "Xbox Stop", which is a media command, would probably get confused with "Xbox Off". I've seen less similar words get confused.

Hindle

Banned
The Xbox One was never in as much trouble as say the PS3 or the Wii U. I say this because the console has great games coming from day one, a world class online service, and every 3rd party game avalible the same day as the competition. The PS3 never had any of these when it was launched.

I am quite sure that parapraxis is a regular on n4g and is intact one of the front line officers...

Anyway on topic, what settings are most people using I regard to rgb and colour depth??

Top Bottom