• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Wii Games of 2008 Thread

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Very nice original post. Very aesthetically pleasing.

If it's wrong to be looking forward to Star Soldier R more than anything on that list except for Brawl and Mario Kart, then I don't want to be right.

By the way, there's a Kirby game for Wii coming in 2008? Does it have anything to do with the Gamecube game that vanished from the face of the Earth?

I am looking forward to the quirky misfit titles like Blastworks and de Blob, besides the marquee titles such as No More Heros. I am glad to see that at least some publishers are finally taking risks with lower budget niche titles (and no, I am not talking about shovelware).

ivysaur12 said:
EDIT: Hey, doesn't Opoona come out sometime early next year?

This is especially funny considering that PantherLotus is also the grandmaster of the Opoona NeoGAF thread.

Cherubae

Saitou said:
Oh shit, Harvest Moon is confirmed for February? I had no idea!

It's confirmed as Q2 (at E3 2007) by Natsume and they never release a game early. All of the big sites (IGN, Gamestop, etc) that has release dates keep pushing it back. Originally they had it coming out in Dec, then Jan, and now Feb.

DrLazy

Wow. For those of us Nintendo faithful, a release list like this for January-March is unbelievable. Really there are a ton of awesome games listed. Great variety too. Right now the spring is loaded, with not much for the fall. My guess is Nintendo will likely delay Mario Kart to the fall to pair with Wii music.

ksamedi

Isn't there a Sega Bass Fishing title coming this February. I know its a fishing title but it should be worth checking out with the Wiimote controls.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
wii-games-2008-thread-january.jpg

said:
JANUARY 2008
CLICK ON THE BANNER FOR THE YOUTUBE TRAILER

Code:
01/08/08	Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law   		Capcom   
01/08/08	Kidz Sports Ice Hockey 				Bold Games (Destineer) 
01/08/08	Kidz Sports International Soccer 		Destineer 
01/08/08	Luxor: Pharaoh's Challenge 			Mumbo Jumbo 
01/08/08	Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity 			SEGA 
01/15/08	CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: Hard Evidence 	Ubisoft 
01/15/08	Furu Furu Park 					Majesco 
01/15/08	Nitrobike 					Ubisoft 
01/15/08	Samurai Warriors Katana 			KOEI 
01/18/08	London Taxi: RusHour 				Bold Games (Destineer) 
01/18/08	MX Vs. ATV Untamed 				THQ 
01/21/08	Endless Ocean 					Nintendo 
01/22/08	Kawasaki Jet Ski 				Bold Games (Destineer) 
01/22/08	One Piece: Unlimited Adventure 			Namco Bandai 
01/29/08	Bomberman Land 					Hudson Soft

Consider this your official January release post. Enjoy!

*Guaraná

Banned
I want' em all !

Nitro Bike
Endless Ocean
Harvey Birdman
One Piece
Bully
No More Heroes
S.Smash Bros Brawl
Dragon Quest Swords
Baroque
WiiFit
Mario Kart Wii
Castle of Shikigami
PES 2008
Okami
Lego Indiana Jones
Top Spin Tennis
La Casa de la Muerte 1 y 2
Samba de Amigo
Civilization Revolution
The Force Unleashed
Monster Hunter 3
Alone in the Dark
Animal Crossing
Fragile
King Story
Lego Batman
Oboro Muramasa Youtouden (Vanillaware RPG)

Dear God! Wii will empty my wallet...

Meloche

goldenticket said:
amazon moved no more heroes to jan 22nd. is this its new date or their mistake?
I really hope it does get pushed up because it's going to get slaughtered in February, otherwise. Well on second thought, it'll probably bomb regardless, but at least it'll have a better chance away from February's jam packed release list.

Great work OP. Layout is fantastic, and it even reminded me of a few games I'd forgotten about, namely King's Story and Okami -- definitely looking forward to both of those. Can't say I'm too worried about the lineup though, because Brawl will keep me busy for most of the year [with the occasional break for gems like NMH] and the rest of my time will probably be spent with Wiiware and Virtual Console titles. Blocks looks incredible, as does Star Soldier R. I know a lot of people here are excited for the latter; any word on whether it'll have co-op multiplayer? I know Super Star Soldier and the other ones don't have it, but it'd be nice if this new one does.

PantherLotus said:
It's Left Field, but it's Ubisoft. Hmmm.
Well they also recently made Dave Mirra for Wii. Plus we haven't heard of it for a good while, which is usually not a good sign. I'm cautious, but Amazon has the pre-order for 29,99 € so I put it down just in case it's good after all.

Lobster

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Well they also recently made Dave Mirra for Wii. Plus we haven't heard of it for a good while, which is usually not a good sign. I'm cautious, but Amazon has the pre-order for 29,99 € so I put it down just in case it's good after all.

That was a port though, they didn't do anything to it. And ye we have heard about NitroBike..even recently..nobody cares though, theres new media on IGN which is about 3 weeks old for me now..

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
My bet is Nintendo will release Wii's version of Nintendogs in November 08.
There will be riots.

Lobster

Banned
marc^o^ said:
There will be riots.

Im pretty sure Wii Sports was Wii's version of Nintendogs..ATM, its the main hot reason to have one.

Unless you meant a dog type game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
marc^o^ said:
There will be riots.
Nintendogs is one of the biggest franchise of these last years. It was first meant to be a GameCube title. We've seen a glimpse of what it would look like in Smash Bros' trailer. Wiimote is perfectly suited to interact with such a game. I see no better title Nintendo could rely on to safely get into next Christmas.

Lobster said:
That was a port though, they didn't do anything to it. And ye we have heard about NitroBike..even recently..nobody cares though, theres new media on IGN which is about 3 weeks old for me now..
Releasing 3 or so trailers in the span of a couple of months is hardly worth a mention. IGN had a dev interview a couple of months ago and other features, after that everything went pretty much silent. I'd love for this to be the spiritual successor of Excite Truck, controls and trick system look somewhat similar and this has online but I wouldn't get my hopes too high atm.

Lobster

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Releasing 3 or so trailers in the span of a couple of months is hardly worth a mention. IGN had a dev interview a couple of months ago and other features, after that everything went pretty much silent. I'd love for this to be the spiritual successor of Excite Truck, controls and trick system look somewhat similar and this has online but I wouldn't get my hopes too high atm.

So far, from what I can tell, the really crazy jumps,stunts are still in.

Wii is gonna tear me apart financially even more than it did in '07, yowza. I'm not complaining! Just looking at the first quarter...

Wii Fit is the big gun of the year, for me. Undoubtedly. I'm praying it makes Q1.

Endless Ocean is up there, too. GAF has made this a day-one must-buy for me. Can't wait.

Smash, 'nuff said.

If Mario Kart actually makes the first quarter, I'll be stunned, and I'll be all over it.

No More Heroes is another one that looks like a safe pick.

Very excited about HotD: 2 and 3 Returns, especially after Ghost Squad's stellar transition to Wii.

Surprise pick? London Taxi: RusHour. It's going to get absolutely SPLIT OPEN in reviews (probably no higher than the average Conspiracy Entertainment scores), but I like the PC game from the little I've played of it. It's basically a more subdued Crazy Taxi, but based in London - with famous London spots as destinations and a pretty large map (only one). As long as the controls aren't totally broken (please!...the PC controls are tight, FWIW), it's a definite purchase for me. Only $19.99, too.

Others: seems Konami is bringing another arcade rail shooter to Wii with their port of Target: Terror, so I definitely have my eye on that. Another arcade port I'm banking on making a smooth transition? SEGA Bass Fishing. PES: 2008 is one I'm definitely curious about...based on the early previews from a couple of months ago, it looks like it could potentially make one of the most innovative and effective Wii transitions of any third-party franchise yet on the console. Did Blast Works get delayed? 'Cause that would be another must-buy.

Saoh

holy crap, nice OP :D !

so far i'm getting Brawl and NMH.... but i don't know if i should wait for a price drop on NHM. Baroque looks kinda interesting... the anime parts look as disturbed as Evangelion :lol

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Can anybody tell me whether I'm an idiot and this is another piece of SEGA trash, or am I only slightly delusional and this looks like an above average space racer?

Culex

Banned
PantherLotus said:

Can anybody tell me whether I'm an idiot and this is another piece of SEGA trash, or am I only slightly delusional and this looks like an above average space racer?

Well, judging from their last console releases, I can sum this game up for you without knowing anything about the game, and making stuff up by looking at the title.

"Sonic and his Shitty Friends.....IN SPACE!"

Hope that helps.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, didn't realize how many damn games I'm going to have to get. Great list.

jehuty

Endless Ocean, No more Heroes, SSB:Brawl, and Wii fit are all definite picks for me.

Does anyone know the story behind baroque? Is there any hype behind it? I need more co-op and adventure games to play. Here is to hoping that some other interesting games get announced.

For January releases, Endless Ocean is day one. And I'm also interested to see if Nitrobike is as good as ExciteTruck and ExciteBike64.

ksamedi

Culex said:
Well, judging from their last console releases, I can sum this game up for you without knowing anything about the game, and making stuff up by looking at the title.

"Sonic and his Shitty Friends.....IN SPACE!"

Hope that helps.

Space saved Mario, it could save Sonic as well.

Kletian

I'm so sad that NMH, Baroque, and DQ:Swords all come out in February. Between Smash and Mariokart the following month, I wont have any time to play them :'(

I will still purchase them to further support Wii third party hotness, and by the time I'm burnt out on Smashkart these three titles will most likely be hard to find.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Kletian said:
I'm so sad that NMH, Baroque, and DQ:Swords all come out in February. Between Smash and Mariokart the following month, I wont have any time to play them :'(

I will still purchase them to further support Wii third party hotness, and by the time I'm burnt out on Smashkart these three titles will most likely be hard to find.

I actually think that NMH will be a complete bomb and DQS will do better than decent. Baroque will be an afterthought. As far as actually playing them, here is my interest level:

DQS
BAROQUE
NMH

nli10

marc^o^ said:
Nintendogs is one of the biggest franchise of these last years. It was first meant to be a GameCube title. We've seen a glimpse of what it would look like in Smash Bros' trailer. Wiimote is perfectly suited to interact with such a game. I see no better title Nintendo could rely on to safely get into next Christmas.

NINTENPETS...

Top Bottom