• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN (Vita/PSP/PS4/PS3) Downloads Thread Z | January 2014 | The Legendary Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we just covering PSN titles here or what now?

This was already the nominal purpose of the thread before; inasmuch as that wasn't happening previously it's because the thread wasn't really following the guidelines we laid down last time. (These days as storefronts expand, and on Vita where everything is downloadable this obviously has a larger scope than it did on older platforms.)

In general we're looking to standardize each download platform around the same approach (ongoing, rolling release threads that allow for free-form discussion about the platform) rather than have different approaches for each of the 6+ download platforms we support here. We want to have room for people to talk about downloadable games that wouldn't survive well in their own full threads, as well as topics about the actual download platforms and services themselves.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This was already the nominal purpose of the thread before; inasmuch as that wasn't happening previously it's because the thread wasn't really following the guidelines we laid down last time. (These days as storefronts expand, and on Vita where everything is downloadable this obviously has a larger scope than it did on older platforms.)

In general we're looking to standardize each download platform around the same approach (ongoing, rolling release threads that allow for free-form discussion about the platform) rather than have different approaches for each of the 6+ download platforms we support here. We want to have room for people to talk about downloadable games that wouldn't survive well in their own full threads, as well as topics about the actual download platforms and services themselves.

Right. If you have a game that you find everyone is talking about in here, it's probably healthy enough to try its own thread. If that thread just insta-dies, move the discussion back here.

The Vita doesn't have that sort of leg room to work with. There's a reason most Vita talk is in this topic - because anyone talking in a general thread like this one about that one obscure Vita game is going to get drowned out by anyone else trying to talk about PS3 and PS4's obscure games. If you want there to be a thread for "obscure" games that get drowned out, seperate it by console, not service. That way any obscure games for a specific platform have more chance of getting spotted.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I was kind enough to buy a copy of Contrast for PC for $6. It's been as low as $3.75 or less at GMG... but why would anyone buy Contrast on PS4 after it comes off PS+? Anyone with a PS4 will have PS+ most likely, so there's no real market there and most people with PS+ who don't own one will grab it while it's free...
Not to mention that I don't think anyone would $15 for that. It's kinda the reason I don't think Super Motherload has quite taken off. I need it to drop to $10 before I dive in. The Contrast devs said that if they want to self-fund their next game they need Contrast to sell after it's month of PS+, and since their game didn't get any rave reviews it's not going to happen. Additionally, their negotiations took place during the Driveclub debacle and guess what? They didn't know it was about to get delayed. They could've haggled out so much more.

I don't think anyone knows how consumers are going to react to buying a game that used to be free at some point in time. I know that myself, I have a huge mental barrier to the stuff even though it doesn't make any sense. Which is good for the current line-up considering they're all ports of games already out on PC. Except for Secret Ponchos.

Which is a whole nother topic not suited to phone typing. I'm super hyped for it because they're banking on getting big on Twitch and streaming. Though in my experience it's best to make the game first. Then there's the Vita PS+... Which they've refused to update the Evergreen titles. Though in Sony's defense, those are some damn good Evergreen titles. Gravity Rush and Tearaway are titles every Vita owner needs to play. But on that note, I hope Tearaway never hits PS+. They've gotta take a stand somewhere.

The Vita doesn't have that sort of leg room to work with.

If that's true, then it sucks that you won't be able to talk about the Vita anymore on GAF. But I don't think it's gonna happen. Many Vita threads are already pretty healthy and all kinds of games that are PS3/Vita or PS4/Vita cross-play get discussed in here anyway.

Honestly I think the thread name needs to change to

"PSN (Vita/PS4/PS3) Downloads Thread | January 2014 | The Legendary Change"

or something like that. I think a lot of people aren't realizing what this thread is and, as much as I love you Vita guys, Vita coming first in the thread title is going to make a lot of PS4/PS3 owners' eyes gloss over the thread without realizing it's a thread for them too.

By all means keep "Vita" first in the brackets though, if that's a compromise.

ZeroAKA

The monthly Vita threads deviated from the original purpose because everyone just went back to doing their own thing after the initial transition period. What makes this thread different? Don't take this the wrong way, but how would you guys enforce the guidelines?

coolasj19

I have as many Vita games physically as I do PSP. I think I've reached my physical releases quota. And now I have a 32GB and 2 8GIGS.
Don't blame me blame autocorrect. And me for setting it that way.
So now I'm at a cross roads. If I get FFX digitally that'll be the end all. I won't have the obligation of continuity or the shackles of cartridges. I've also run out of slots in my carrying case. The only both negative and positive is that each game will be around 4GB each. And that's both a lot and it'll easily fit. It's so hard getting rid of all of that instinct. Though, I'll probably still dive in for sick retail deals.

Is anything on the Vitas rumour mill besides OllieOllie? I'm not thinking so since they extended the sale another week.

If that's true, then it sucks that you won't be able to talk about the Vita anymore on GAF. But I don't think it's gonna happen. Many Vita threads are already pretty healthy and all kinds of games that are PS3/Vita or PS4/Vita cross-play get discussed in here anyway.

Thanks for completely skipping 90% of my post.

If you want there to be a thread for "obscure" games that get drowned out, seperate it by console, not service. That way any obscure games for a specific platform have more chance of getting spotted. At least, this is what I'm interpreting this thread is supposed to do now. I'm still kind of confused.

I have as many Vita games physically as I do PSP. I think I've reached my physical releases quota. And now I have a 32GB and 2 8GIGS.
Don't blame me blame autocorrect. And me for setting it that way.
So now I'm at a cross roads. If I get FFX digitally that'll be the end all. I won't have the obligation of continuity or the shackles of cartridges. I've also run out of slots in my carrying case. The only both negative and positive is that each game will be around 4GB each. And that's both a lot and it'll easily fit. It's so hard getting rid of all of that instinct. Though, I'll probably still dive in for sick retail deals.

Is anything on the Vitas rumour mill besides OllieOllie? I'm not thinking so since they extended the sale another week.

I started buying digital a few months ago and never looked back. Not having to carry a cart case is way too convenient. I never did this with my 3DS back then because they didn't have an account system in case I lose the handheld. I don't know if the NNID fixes that since I haven't touched my 3DS since a short time after getting X.

The monthly Vita threads deviated from the original purpose because everyone just went back to doing their own thing after the initial transition period. What makes this thread different?

We're being optimistic and assuming that ongoing threads that cover multiple systems will actually have the effect we hope for.

Thanks for completely skipping 90% of my post.

I didn't watch your whole video either.

We already made this decision, which is based on what we think is best for all the download platforms and consistency in our approach to community threads. We've laid out our reasoning for that and what we're hoping to see happen. I'm happy to talk about the issue but we're not planning on reversing course and I don't really buy the apocalyptic predictions.

Honestly I think the thread name needs to change to

"PSN (Vita/PS4/PS3) Downloads Thread | January 2014 | The Legendary Change"

or something like that. I think a lot of people aren't realizing what this thread is and, as much as I love you Vita guys, Vita coming first in the thread title is going to make a lot of PS4/PS3 owners' eyes gloss over the thread without realizing it's a thread for them too.

By all means keep "Vita" first in the brackets though, if that's a compromise.

That's a good thing though :)

coolasj19

I started buying digital a few months ago and never looked back. Not having to carry a cart case is way too convenient. I never did this with my 3DS back then because they didn't have an account system in case I lose the handheld. I don't know if the NNID fixes that since I haven't touched my 3DS since a short time after getting X.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go for it. But only because I just reorganized my shelf and I realized I own FFX physically for PS2 twice. Once Greatest Hits and once regular. I'm kind of using it as a weird justification that I've reached my physical releases quota. Which if you haven't noticed is a weird thing I have.

I'd be all digital on PS4 if Amazon didn't give me KZSF for free. Then again, it's nice to have at least that one box for ownerships sake and making the shelf reflect all of PlayStation. But everytime I look at it and think "You're the only PS4 box I'll ever own." it gets all sad at me and stuff. And I start thinking, "Well, how about just Sony exclusives?". If I could replace it with a digital copy I would. Actually, if anyone wants to buy this sucker for a $50 PSN Card I'll ship it to you for free. If I think of it as helping GAF I can get around my "I never trade games in" principle.

Oh lord... I haven't posted in 2 weeks and I have lots to say. Sorry for the flooding.

We already made this decision, which is based on what we think is best for all the download platforms and consistency in our approach to community threads. We've laid out our reasoning for that and what we're hoping to see happen. I'm happy to talk about the issue but we're not planning on reversing course and I don't really buy the apocalyptic predictions.

Why wasn't this thread involved in these discussions, or at least, a select few members like Aytrial, who basically run the intro post? I wouldn't have as much of an objection to this whole thing if it didn't feel like the rug was being pulled out from under our feet on our thread.

shink

So the weekly PSN threads aren't going to continue. How will the ~4 updates per month be included here? Updates/additions to the OP each week?

coolasj19

This used to be our monthly Vita thread up until a few hours ago when the mods decided to overthrow it :(

Here's the declaration of war on Vitagaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=96121474#post96121474
Eggggghhhhhh. A bit quick on the draw I say. How about for right now we talk Vita before declaring Vita conversation dead. As far as I can tell this is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I may give away my Vita games if they ever come off of IGC. Or maybe I should keep them so I own them forever and ever.

Flandy

but but but.. the first post is still the monthly vita thread post..

I understand the reasoning behind this.. but that first post..

The change is only a few hours old. Not enough time to update the OP. I'm not sure if or when the OP will be updated since we only found out a few hours ago.

joe2187

Banned
This used to be our monthly Vita thread up until a few hours ago when the mods decided to overthrow it :(

Here's the declaration of war on Vitagaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=96121474#post96121474

Although we've gone to the end of the road
Still I cant let go, It's unnatural
You belong to me, I belong toooo yoooooouu

boyz-2-men-end-of-the-road-o.gif

Flandy

this thread hasnt the same vibe as before and it just started as a new multisystem generic thread.

On different waters we can discuss now if Dragon´s Crown is a better game on PS3 or Vita.

Did anyone saw this GOW Collection Vita on Play Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/god-of-war-collection-paOS-13-49-en-70-78r7.html
I mean im waiting and praying this collection is not ported by the same people that did Jak n Daxter.

It's actually been on the gamestop website for quite some time.
http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/games/god-of-war-collection/112458

Hasney

Damn, real pity about the thread direction change. It was already too quick to keep up with for the most part, but throwing in more systems isn't going to help that.

Played Wipeout 2048 on my Vita for the first time last night and instantly fell in love with that little retail cart. Only thing I could complain about so far is the load times, which are quite horrendous.

this thread hasnt the same vibe as before and it just started as a new multisystem generic thread.

On different waters we can discuss now if Dragon´s Crown is a better game on PS3 or Vita.

I'm beginning to find everything that isn't Rayman Legends better on Vita.

baekshi

Banned

Did anyone saw this GOW Collection Vita on Play Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/god-of-war-collection-paOS-13-49-en-70-78r7.html
I mean im waiting and praying this collection is not ported by the same people that did Jak n Daxter.

This been on for a while

http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/games/god-of-war-collection/112458

edit: im just going to pretend flandy post never existed

Acid08

Banned
Are there any 21:9 ratio The Order style Vita games? I'm curious for a ratio change.

Will Persona 5 get a simultaneous English release? And what's Atlus's Vita port scheduling? 6 months after? 1 year? 5 years? Precedents and all that. I'm so hyped for more Persona Shoji Meguro. His Catherine soundtrack didn't gel with me so I'm a bit worried.

Who do I need to pester for a Don't Starve Vita port?

And also, poor Contrast. The devs said they'd need it to sell after the game came off IGC and you already know it just isn't. There's a drought and then there's getting people to bite on something.
I think P5 is 2015 for sure in English. Dancing All Night will probably be 2015 as well. Persona Q and P4A2 are hopefully this year.

incpdo

Damn, real pity about the thread direction change. It was already too quick to keep up with for the most part, but throwing in more systems isn't going to help that.

Played Wipeout 2048 on my Vita for the first time last night and instantly fell in love with that little retail cart. Only thing I could complain about so far is the load times, which are quite horrendous.

I'm beginning to find everything that isn't Rayman Legends better on Vita.

Why you say so , Rayman Legends post patch is great on Vita. becouse of the touch thingy levels?

Perona

Been lurking in these threads since they started. I dont post much but I hope things don't change TOO much and everyone starts leaving, or I'm really gonna miss VitaGAF :(

Hasney

I think P5 is 2015 for sure in English. Dancing All Night will probably be 2015 as well. Persona Q and P4A2 are hopefully this year.

And then we wait for them to trickle to Europe if Atlus tries that region locking thing again (or will have to wait anyway for Persona Q).

No idea why Sega isn't picking up the Europe publishing slack yet.

Hasney

Why you say so , Rayman Legends post patch is great on Vita. becouse of the touch thingy levels?

Yup. I was a bit bummed that I had to wait for the game since I had a Wii U, but I'm really glad it got released to other platforms. Playing it on my PC without the touch and rotations is bliss.

coolasj19

That's because everyone is talking about how they don't like the change instead of how they don't like the change and Vita games.

Common consensus is Vita is best version. LIKE IT ALWAYS IS. Because of touchscreen item pick ups.

Part of the theory I heard one time is that because of the insane PS2 techniques ND used it's really difficult to emulate them with a different architecture.

Last note, give it a couple of days. See how the conversation flows out, the annoyances may subside a bit and the mods are really pushing you to PM them concerns. Don't jump the gun though please. Then again, while I'm not a fan of "getting the rug pulled from under", I am a big advocate of "toss them into the deep end". They may sound the same, but they're not... I think. I'm sleepy typing. G'night.

Hey, the title change. Gonna miss the weekly deals thread and the monthly Vita thread. It kept me posted on what is coming out. I'm guessing this includes the monthly PS+ threads of US and EU too?

incpdo

That's because everyone is talking about how they don't like the change instead of how they don't like the change and Vita games.

Common consensus is Vita is best version. LIKE IT ALWAYS IS. Because of touchscreen item pick ups.

Part of the theory I heard one time is that because of the insane PS2 techniques ND used it's really difficult to emulate them with a different architecture.

Last note, give it a couple of days. See how the conversation flows out, the annoyances may subside a bit and the mods are really pushing you to PM them concerns. Don't jump the gun though please. Then again, while I'm not a fan of "getting the rug pulled from under", I am a big advocate of "toss them into the deep end". They may sound the same, but they're not... I think. I'm sleepy typing. G'night.

The annoyances will never subside for me , i came to read and write about Vita specific things in a Vita specific thread, this is not.

Zephyx

How come this thread was used as the instigator of the change you wanted? IMO, if you want to see through the vision you have, it should've been a full blown effort (creating a new thread, creating a well crafted OP, enticing people to talk here about their PS Stuff, etc). What I see is just you guys seemingly taking the thread from VitaGaf and making it something that suits your tastes. I apologize if I come off as offending but I'm really disappointed it has come to this.

Why wasn't this thread involved in these discussions, or at least, a select few members like Aytrial, who basically run the intro post?

Because this isn't just about this thread, it's about our general policy for platform threads, and also because we don't make a habit of consulting people in advance about what moderation decisions are going to be.

So the weekly PSN threads aren't going to continue. How will the ~4 updates per month be included here? Updates/additions to the OP each week?

My suggestion would be to just include each week as a separate box or section in the OP, using multiple posts if need be to make the divisions clear.

That seems unlikely to me. SMT4 was only a 2-month gap between releases. P5 is something they'll want to move aggressively on, and they've got plenty of forewarning.

How come this thread was used as the instigator of the change you wanted?

Because we thought (perhaps wrongly) that y'all would be happier to get some warning and have continuity in terms of OPs, rather than just have your current thread unceremoniously shut down while you waited around for a somewhat different replacement.

Acid08

Banned
That seems unlikely to me. SMT4 was only a 2-month gap between releases. P5 is something they'll want to move aggressively on, and they've got plenty of forewarning.
Well it's Winter 2014 in Japan, that says November or December to me. So even with a two month delay it'll be January or February 2015 for the US. Would be beyond stoked to have it in 2014 though.

Meia

Hrm. Only thing we know about P5 is "Winter 2014", but Winter only starts at the very end of December, right? I'd be shocked if this came out the exact day as it will in Japan, and if it doesn't, it has to be 2015. Unless "winter" in video game release terms is a different set of dates?

Aytrial

It's gonna take quite some time to revamp the format of the OP, so don't expect any updates there at least for day or so.

How come this thread was used as the instigator of the change you wanted? IMO, if you want to see through the vision you have, it should've been a full blown effort (creating a new thread, creating a well crafted OP, enticing people to talk here about their PS Stuff, etc). What I see is just you guys seemingly taking the thread from VitaGaf and making it something that suits your tastes. I apologize if I come off as offending but I'm really disappointed it has come to this.

Not only is this exactly what's happened but they don't seem to want to do any of the work behind making this change. It's like a king decreeing his servants to work ten extra hours a week then sitting back and having a feast for himself (in a much, much smaller sense of course).

incpdo

Because this isn't just about this thread, it's about our general policy for platform threads, and also because we don't make a habit of consulting people in advance about what moderation decisions are going to be.

My suggestion would be to just include each week as a separate box or section in the OP, using multiple posts if need be to make the divisions clear.

Because we thought (perhaps wrongly) that y'all would be happier to get some warning and have continuity in terms of OPs, rather than just have your current thread unceremoniously shut down while you waited around for a somewhat different replacement.

so this is basicly you guys are not listening to us , couse there is a few pages already in this thread about how this change is not a good one in the eyes of the Vita Gaffers including me. What i dont get is why you should completely "nuke" a thread like this, just becouse you have created a new one focused on 3 different platforms? So lets say i create an Unofficial Vita Thread, would that one being "nuked" to?

So recommendations for the 50ppp and the other guys too: Buy Guacamelee Metroidvania excelent platform game, and do not forget to buy square enix related stuff on PSN , the more the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom