• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 02/15/2008

Kittonwy

Banned
Y2Kev said:
ngai :bow

kittowny call out omg :lol :lol

gladtomeetya.gif

WrikaWrek

Banned
No_Style said:
Mangod doesn't acknowledge his nickname.

How the hell did he get that nickname anyways?

He's a champion of his people, and his people decided that the name which he was born with wasn't representative of his significance to his people, and so his people decided to name him, his champion, MANGOD.

Champions always have nicknames.

And y2kev, regarding the animation/art direction, think outside the box. Anime, do you think the over the top facial expressions and body animation of certain characters aren't part of the artistic direction?

They are.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Is it me or is somebody's jewelry making noise sometimes?

Feels like a Old lady was in the podcast moving around.

it's like tchgtchhlinh

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You're a good addition to 1upurz but you were a big part of gfw.

Shinraven

best podcast in a long time !~ Ngai raises the intellectual level of this whole show by a mile.

everyone sounds well spoken, fun, educated, and very top notch.

I downloaded from work, put on my iphone, listened on the train and even kept it on all the way home even while i made dinner.

Well done guys !

tanod

when is my burrito
neojubei said:
Is it me of Shawn didn't talk much outside of bad mouthing Resistance 1.

It's you.

Just finished listening to the podcast. Loved it. Awesome job again this week guys. There's a strange comfort to hearing Skip in the background again keeping stuff on track.

Not enough GDC talk I thought. :( I can't wait for next week.

fallout

Holy fuck. Note to self: Don't say shit about Resistance (and NMH, I guess ... hm, maybe I should just not say shit about anything!).

Anyway, Shawn, when you were discussing different means of conveying story and character traits other than using cutscenes, I think you were sort of referencing Bioshock there with the tapes and stuff hanging on the wall. I don't want to get into everything that game did (good or bad), but one of the things that I felt it did really well was providing a really interesting background story for you to discover. Like, walking into a room and seeing the skeleton couple lying in the bed and thinking to yourself: "Holy shit. What happened here?" and you find the tape and start listening. Meanwhile, as you're listening to the tape, you find yourself kind of looking at the room and learning about their daughter and what happened with that. It's just such a great way of expanding upon the idea of narrative in games and how they can be different than film and novels.

Also, I think that's where the Alyx example is perfect. The more time you spend with her and the more shit that happens, you do feel a certain attachment to the character, but you're never really having this "Okay, kill two more bosses and we will have sex now." kind of scenario. She'll do these subtle little things like wink at you in the car, or hug you in moments that may or may not be romantic. There's never a moment where she's like: "Ohhhh, Gordon! You're sooooo strong!" ... it actually respects the idea of the development of a relationship from a perspective that you're not used to seeing in a game. The only time you ever really get it thrown in your face is when Eli starts joking about how they need to start repopulating. And that didn't even feel forced. It was funny and natural.

MirageDwarf said:
You will be arguing with notorious console fans (from all platforms). Prepare yourself hard.
Indeed. Shawn, whatever you do, do not dislike Uncharted. I don't think Gaf could handle such a thread....

tanod

when is my burrito
I had exactly the same problem as Shawn with The Boss at the end of MGS3. That was extremely frustrating to me and soured the whole game. I felt that I was doing something wrong but I couldn't figure out what the hell I was supposed to do. I could never get CQC to work and the game wasn't much help in teaching it to you. The ending was great though.

I loved MGS2 and played the hell out of it and I'm really looking forward to MGS4 but MGS3 was a disappointment. It's only now that I've picked up MGS3 Subsistence and I'm giving it another shot to see if I GET it this time. I'm cautiously optimistic and the unbroken camera does help A LOT in the 2-3 hours I've played so far.

I've always heard a lot about ICO on GAF and I played and loved SotC. I really need to see if I can find a copy of ICO. Now I want to play it REALLY BAD and I'm disappointed that I missed it. :'(

Nizz

FartOfWar said:
Ah, I was talking about the single-player game. Because this is a thread about the podcast, I assumed that I made that clear in the podcast is all.
Hey Shawn, you guys still working on that video you were planning with Gamevideos? Or did it fall through? Was curious to check out that Demonious X cat...

WrikaWrek

Banned
futnownarcade said:
Wow did anyone on the podcast actually play Indigo Prophecy? There is a lot more to it than a sex minigame.

There's actually a "love arc" before it, but i guess a believable scenario like a couple that was broken apart and is still picking out the pieces, as they still feel for each other, which allows the player, if he has it in him, to fight for whatever is left between the two characters as he plays a guitar, in an interactive sequence mind you, under the moonlight...

...just ain't as good as a spy soldier from the people's republic of China walking around in a bikini and seducing a FOXHOUND soldier with the beauty of her body scars, and getting him on the sack in order to steal from him the legacy of the philosophers, estimated in billions...

Yeah, it's just not good enough.

Sanjay

Resistance was a good co-op campaign with funky weapon, kind of similar to how I pld Gears of War and halo 3 too (co-op). I cant play mediocre games by my self their just so much better playing in co-op. Just your good old run and gun action fps games.

and wtf with the MGS3 spoiler, but kind of dont mind as end of the day the end boss is going to end up
Dead anyways

WrikaWrek

Banned
The Mattrick stuff from NGai was new, what the hell is going on with that whole scene, mattrick isn't working full time at MS? Wtf :lol

No_Style said:
Mangod doesn't acknowledge his nickname.

How the hell did he get that nickname anyways?
he acts like he resents it, then when you ask 1up staffers they say he secretly likes the attention

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GodfatherX said:
he acts like he resents it, then when you ask 1up staffers they say he secretly likes the attention
Who freaking wouldn't? We're calling him Mangod, not Fartface.

LukeSmith

GodfatherX said:

He reads GAF more than anyone I know and at the bottom of his Firefox window is always a Find tab open and in the text? "Shane" :lol

Spooka

It was nice having Ngai on there. Liked what he had to say about The Club. I've put more time into the demo for it than I did half the games I bought last year.

LukeSmith said:
He reads GAF more than anyone I know and at the bottom of his Firefox window is always a Find tab open and in the text? "Shane" :lol

Just for this reason, I'll never refer to him as "Shane" again. Mangod now and forever.

No_Style

LukeSmith said:

Hilarious. :lol

I wouldn't blame him, though. His name gets mentioned at least once per hour around here.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Suburban Cowboy said:
now that jaffe has canceled his appearance, it would be great for you guys to get Adam Sesslar on the show next week.
I am with you on that would love to hear him out of his venue of G4.

BTW if Shawn hates on Uncharted we will get massacred by the ravaging hordes.

LukeSmith said:
after i thought i embarrassed him when i saw him in the "media room" at pax i asked Sienna about it, and she filled me in on the whole situation

fallout

Livin_Lovin said:
Just for this reason, I'll never refer to him as "Shane" again. Mangod now and forever.
Fuck that. I'm just gonna throw "Shane" into every post I make!

shane

shane

.... shaneshaneshaneshaneHOWYOULIKETHATMANGODshaneshaneshaneshane

Jirotrom

Hey Shawn... I understand your initial woes with No more Heroes as most had them, but oddly enough its one of those games you have to get a little farther into, if after the 3rd 4 mission its still not gelling it probably wont for the rest.

Y2Kev

LukeSmith said:

This is so awesome :lol

I WORSHIP YOU, MANGOD

PLEASE EMAIL ME A SIGNED PICTURE

Dartastic

The thing about No More Heroes for me, is how immediately pleasing and visceral the combat is. I am in no way "desperate for an action game on the Wii" either, having just played through DMC4. Pretty much all the complaints on the show were valid; it's just a matter of personal taste if the style of the game plus the combat can keep the player wanting more.

The environments were repetitive,
(just wait until you get to the assassin where the only thing you do is run down a hall only to watch him get his ass kicked by some other dude. Yeah that's fun...)
the "open world" was a mess, the bike controls are absolutely terrible, the graphics for anything other than the main characters are bad, and the game forces you to do too much crap to get to the good parts. That being said, I'll be damned if I didn't love the boss encounters, presentation, and swinging my Wiimote to watch random dude #55 with his three buddies get split in half and explode in a shower of blood and coins. That shit was just hilariously awesome, and the ultimately I felt like the good overcame the bad. The bad is a hell of an annoyance though. I'd stick it out a little longer Shawn. It only gets better, but if you're not feeling the combat, you probably won't like the game too much.

Y2Kev said:
This is so awesome :lol

I WORSHIP YOU, MANGOD

PLEASE EMAIL ME A SIGNED PICTURE

Dude, you should have typed "Shane" in your post. Otherwise he may not see it. :lol

J-Rzez

Suburban Cowboy said:
now that jaffe has canceled his appearance, it would be great for you guys to get Adam Sesslar on the show next week.

You know what? I totally want this to happen. I'm really curious to hear him out of his character... Hmmm, Skip, make it happen.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have to disagree with Shawn on the maps from valve for TF2 being good, ctf_well is the biggest heap of junk, hydro isnt that fun and i can never stand 2fort. However, badlands kicks some major ass, that map is amazing. Easily joins dustbowl and gravel pit as my favourite maps, the 2nd last point makes alot of the games i have played really intense. So at least half of the maps are great, the others not so much.

Great podcast though guys, i did fall asleep towards the end but that was due to me lying in bed on a warm saturday afternoon, Will listen to it all again later on. Can't wait for next weeks GDC'casts, should be killer!

Shawn, I ask two things of you:
1) Get Garnett to stop with the NPDs, because honestly, who gives a fuck? The industry was way more fun when we didn't know or care.
2) Come back to the warm, loving embrace of Brodeoland thread. :(

Also hi Shane.

dLMN8R

Shawn, I understand that you can't stand talking about NPDs, but come on, it would be nice if you as the GFW guy could address it when people still bring up things like Call of Duty 4 piracy.

For Call of Duty 4, it's quite obvious how remarkably successful it's been on PC, right alongside the console versions. If Crysis' first month of 88,000 sales can turn into a million worldwide, then surely Call of Duty 4's first month at around 350k could turn into millions. Especially considering that Call of Duty 4 has been Steam's top-selling game, while Crysis wasn't even released on Steam. And the fact that Call of Duty 4 has been beating Crysis in sales charts all over too.

The Call of Duty 4 piracy thing still confuses me - if people are playing with pirated copies online, then it's the fault of no one but Infinity Ward. There is not a single other online game released for years that has allowed that.

Yeah, it's not the end of the world, but it couldn't hurt to let the other console-focused 1up Yours members in on the secret of just how successful Steam has been.

Shawn is awesome on the brodeo, but on 1upyours he barely talks. He should atleast work in a "what the hell" or "dang" every once in a while even if he doesnt want to speak about topics at hand, clearly Ryan understands that really well.

Saterium

WrikaWrek said:
There's actually a "love arc" before it, but i guess a believable scenario like a couple that was broken apart and is still picking out the pieces, as they still feel for each other, which allows the player, if he has it in him, to fight for whatever is left between the two characters as he plays a guitar, in an interactive sequence mind you, under the moonlight...

...just ain't as good as a spy soldier from the people's republic of China walking around in a bikini and seducing a FOXHOUND soldier with the beauty of her body scars, and getting him on the sack in order to steal from him the legacy of the philosophers, estimated in billions...

Yeah, it's just not good enough.

I thought the uncensored sex scene took place with (his name escapes me) the black detective and his girl friend before heading to work. I think the screen just turns away in the American version or something similar.

I'm assuming you're thinking of the scene near the end of the game in the subway?

Y2Kev

tanod said:
I had exactly the same problem as Shawn with The Boss at the end of MGS3. That was extremely frustrating to me and soured the whole game. I felt that I was doing something wrong but I couldn't figure out what the hell I was supposed to do. I could never get CQC to work and the game wasn't much help in teaching it to you. The ending was great though.

I dunno. Counterbalance the knife....

I've always heard a lot about ICO on GAF and I played and loved SotC. I really need to see if I can find a copy of ICO. Now I want to play it REALLY BAD and I'm disappointed that I missed it. :'(

Dude. DUDE.

Dartastic said:
The thing about No More Heroes for me, is how immediately pleasing and visceral the combat is. I am in no way "desperate for an action game on the Wii" either, having just played through DMC4. Pretty much all the complaints on the show were valid; it's just a matter of personal taste if the style of the game plus the combat can keep the player wanting more.

The environments were repetitive,
(just wait until you get to the assassin where the only thing you do is run down a hall only to watch him get his ass kicked by some other dude. Yeah that's fun...)
the "open world" was a mess, the bike controls are absolutely terrible, the graphics for anything other than the main characters are bad, and the game forces you to do too much crap to get to the good parts. That being said, I'll be damned if I didn't love the boss encounters, presentation, and swinging my Wiimote to watch random dude #55 with his three buddies get split in half and explode in a shower of blood and coins. That shit was just hilariously awesome, and the ultimately I felt like the good overcame the bad. The bad is a hell of an annoyance though. I'd stick it out a little longer Shawn. It only gets better, but if you're not feeling the combat, you probably won't like the game too much.

Dude, you should have typed "Shane" in your post. Otherwise he may not see it. :lol

He'll see it, I quoted Luke.

Also, I just did the 5th ranking battle. lulzulzulzulzulz

Blueblur1

LukeSmith said:
And Luke continues to be THE man. lol @ Shane

Anyway, I guess I have a great show to listen to tomorrow. Hopefully Shane doesn't ramble too much that he almost starts stuttering. (Man, that's annoying.)

Top Bottom