• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PS+ games have disappointed me for almost 2 years

otakukidd

This has definitely been an excellent point since launch, and was the reason that I wasn't expecting any AAA games for the first year and a half. But I feel like its relevance is declining now as the PS+ library has filled out and matured, and as most hardcore gamers are already on PS4 (or XB1) as evidenced by the sales split of MGSV.

If you look at the price of launch games now, they've pretty much cratered. No one's buying those games any more. On top of that, there's a whole bunch of sports games and annualised franchise games that have been usurped by the next yearly edition, where no one will be buying the old ones.

Of course, that just raises the next issue - we used to get sports games and annualised sequels but these days I feel like all publishers want their own PS+ like EA created with EA Access and therefore there's no way they're giving their games to Sony.

I used to really, really look forward to getting sports games on PS+. That dream is pretty much dead. And I really did expect to see Assassin's Creed Black Flag by now out of all the annualised series games. We've gotten AC on PS+ before. But even thinking about that raised yet another issue. Games improve so little these days from year to year, and take so long to beat, that perhaps Ubisoft would be worried that Black Flag, rather than driving sales of their next AC games, would simply satiate gamer's thirst for that kind of game for a year on its own? Just one more reason NOT to put your games on the service, I guess.

I'm wondering if the reason is cause microsoft now has the ad rights to the assassins Creed series.

longdi

Banned
I agree with TS. I'm from Asia psn, and its even worse. Every month is always Indy games, and not even the top ones.

I feel here is an area where Sony could do some bc porting of PS3 games every month for PS+ subscribers to entice us to continue subscriptions

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah, the only one I've played for more than 10 mins is Rocket League. It was a great service on ps3 and Vita and went to shit the second it became required for online multiplayer. So much humble bundle fodder pixel art crap.

Lothars

Well you can't account for your bad taste OP, They have been consistently great games on PS+

Yes it's not full price retail games every month but I have been happy with the quality of titles we are getting on PS+

Yeah, the only one I've played for more than 10 mins is Rocket League. It was a great service on ps3 and Vita and went to shit the second it became required for online multiplayer. So much humble bundle fodder pixel art crap.
You are really out to lunch.

Socivol

I agree I don't even bother downloading the games anymore since they do not appeal to me. I was spoiled on PS+ games for the PS3 as well and was hoping the quality of retail games would have picked up by now.

Bluenoser

I'm sorry, I should have explained I meant the online paywall, not the indie games. My Steam library is maybe 80% consisted of indie games, but that's because I love turn-based games and there aren't a lot of high-budget ones of those.

Fair enough. Then we are in agreement that MS has been anti-consumer with their online service since 2005. Yet I never hear people complain about it. Sony has been charging for use of their online service for less than 2 years, and there are always people complaining. Bit of a double standard, no?

Synth

Fair enough. Then we are in agreement that MS has been anti-consumer with their online service since 2005. Yet I never hear people complain about it. Sony has been charging for use of their online service for less than 2 years, and there are always people complaining. Bit of a double standard, no?

You have one hell of a filter.

MikeyB

My only disappointment with my PS Plus membership is disappointment in myself. I haven't had time to enjoy all the weird and wonderful games they've been offering.

I'm adding them to my library, but my PS Plus backlog is big enough to warrant a couple years more of PS Plus just to play those ones.

Caayn

You must have been off the internet from 2002 till the Sony E3 2013 press conference.

Sorry you feel that way OP. While there have been a few PS+ games I have not been interested in, I am overall happy with the quality of the games in the IGC.

Bishop89

we still get retail games, just on the ps3 instead.

Twisted Metal
Gow:A
Thief
Yakuza 4
Prototype 2
Dishonored

Have released in the past 8 months

+ Some random titles on vita/ps4 like killzone mercenaries and styx in terms of 'retail' AA titles.

Ted

Guess what? That means there is less chance of a PS4 owning consumer having played that game, as it literally did not exist on the platform until then.

My statement is still true. They are not new games. They are old games releasing on an additional platform.

Their value depends entirely on you and whether you have or haven't played them on other platforms but regardless, they are not (in the specific examples given) actually new games.

I'm not arguing these games aren't good, or in some cases even great. The fact people haven't seen these smaller games before but have seen the AAA blockbusters and therefore perceive the smaller games as having higher value based on that is fantastic and gives exposure to some games that really deserve it but the complete reverse can also be true.

For example, I had no interest in, or indeed any great knowledge of, Demon's Souls or the Uncharted series before they came to PS+ but I had played Fez to death in 2012 on a competing platform.

Self admittedly I assume I'm a much smaller section in the Venn diagram of PS players and their gaming tastes but given that like you I also pay for PS+ I feel I am just as eligible to comment on the perceived quality of that service as yourself. Just as any other customer or prospective customer of the service is. The fact that I also own and play on other platforms as well as PS4 shouldn't negate that. Or at least I don't think so.

I need to go back to sleep. The level of spoiled and cheapness is starting to get unreal.

I am definitely the latter and probably, given that I am lucky enough to live in an economically developed nation, the former as well. At least relatively speaking.

And, perhaps have a pre-GAF coffee. :)

papo

I am also disappointed by PS+ offerings. There have been quite a few indie gems. Rogue Legacy was great as is Rocket League and I am sure there are other, but most really great games they put on I already have bought because they were good. For example Transistor would be a good example of a great game that was released on PS+, but it was so good I got it day 1.

I am waiting for all those first party full release game that I may have neglected for some reason or another and would get the chance to play them. X1 got Tomb Raider this month, a game I never got to play, but seem really good and just in time for the sequel. The closest thing to this that Sony has done is Ground Zeroes.

AmuroChan

Thanks to PS+, I've spent hundreds of hours on games that I otherwise may have never bought.

My standouts for the PS4:

Resogun
Towerfall: Ascension
Injustice
Infamous: First Light
Transistor
Rogue Legacy
OlliOlli 2
Valiant Hearts
Rocket League
Super Time Force Ultra

I think we're going to see a cycle here starting with this gen. Since last gen when PS+ came about we were already pretty far through the gen Sony could dig up a bunch of older retail games that made their way to digital as a means of boosting sales on old games. At the start of this gen and still partially now, we've been getting promising looking indies for free, sometimes from launch. I figure we're now reaching the point where we will start to see some of the launch window games make their way PS+ particularly in 2016 and that from there we will just follow the cycle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like the tapas approach that Sony has. I am much more likely to get a few games that tickle my tastebuds compared to if they do one or two big retail titles - in that situation I am likely to already have bought the game if I was interested, or I didn't want the game in the first place, in which case giving it to me for free is pointless.

Smaller titles let me try things I wouldn't normally, and occasionally you find some gems.

Synth

and its not like the ps3 had some kind of amazing first 1.5-2 years either...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(PAL_region)#PlayStation_Vita

It took 2 years before there was a steady stream of AAA games coming constantly.

June 2012.

Yes, but that was a (very public) relaunch of the service, because it was considered shit. It's not tied to the age of the platform, else from June 2012, we'd be seeing games exclusively launched prior to June 2010, which wasn't the case at all (not even for that first month).

we still get retail games, just on the ps3 instead.

Twisted Metal
Gow:A
Thief
Yakuza 4
Prototype 2
Dishonored

Have released in the past 8 months

+ Some random titles on vita/ps4 like killzone mercenaries and styx in terms of 'retail' AA titles.

Not everyone has all 3 platforms. Probably a very large portion of PS4 users own neither a PS3 or a Vita.

Both the "age of the games" and "age of the console" arguments are flawed. The console argument has the Vita to disagree with it (PS+ launched 6 months into its US life, and carried Gravity Rush and Uncharted in the first month alone), and the age of the games has far too many PS3 examples to list out. It's also not simply a case of "half of that came from Sony" either. Lets take a look at another random period of titles.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Jan 2013 (PS+ Dec 2013)-great game
Borderlands 2 - Sept 2012 (PS+ Dec 2013)-no interest
Metro: Last Light - May 2013 (PS+ Jan 2014)-good game (replayed on PS4)
Bioshock Infinite - Mar 2013 (PS+ Jan 2014)-mediocre game
Tomb Raider - Mar 2013 (PS+ Mar 2014)-mediocre game
Pro Evo 2014 - Sept 2013 (PS+ Apr 2014)-mediocre compared to FIFA
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - Feb 2013 (PS+ Apr 2014)-no interest
Payday 2 - Aug 2013 (PS+ Apr 2014)-tried it, didn't enjoy it
Puppeteer - Sept 2013 (PS+ Apr 2014)-good game
NBA 2K14 - Oct 2013 (PS+ Jun 2014)-great game
Dead Space 3 - Feb 2013 (PS+ Jul 2014)-worst dead space released
Crysis 2 - Feb 2013 (PS+ Aug 2014)-mediocre game

I've enjoyed the smaller offerings on PS3 more and also the offerings on PS4.

So yeah that list of AAA titles largely does nothing for me.

AAA doesn't mean I'll automatically be grateful and love whatever tripe like Bioshock they give me.

But a better middle ground with more sprinklings of large games is necessary to placate the number of dissenting voices.

Arion

I think the reason we aren't seeing AAA/retail games yet is because they are still selling at a high rate. Usually publishers would put their games on PS+ after the sales dry up.

Craft

Yes we have:
Injustice: Gods Among Us – Ultimate Edition
InFamous: First Light
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
Two of those games aren't retail releases.

They are, at least in Europe anyway:
Tomb Raider: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...ail-through-gold-edition.html#~poVFH4XcAQgnDt
First Light: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014...s_first_light_fetches_european_retail_release

The original point was that the OP was complaining there have been no retail releases for the PS4 when there have been a few.

Do people really want Knack or Killzone that badly, why not just buy the game?
I got Killzone for £4, and I've seen Knack sub £5 multiple times.
Personally I like that the service introduces me to games I may not have played otherwise.

Griss

Yes, but that was a (very public) relaunch of the service, because it was considered shit. It's not tied to the age of the platform, else from June 2012, we'd be seeing games exclusively launched prior to June 2010, which wasn't the case at all (not even for that first month).

Exactly. When people go on about 'the first two years of PS+' it's like they're forgetting that it was largely agreed to be total shit and had tons of complaints. It was only when they went to the IGC format in mid 2012 and started adding AAA games that subscriptions took off and the service got the reputation for excellence that it ultimately would.

Wagram

Time is context here like someone else said. If they start handing out retail titles every month on PS+ then they'll have nothing left by the end of the year, and retail sales will diminish significantly for those titles. It would be an incredibly stupid business move.

You expected the same output of games from a fairly new console versus one that had been out for nearly ten years? The first year was barren of decent games for both consoles. I don't get the mentality tbh.

I've played more of these current games than I ever did back then with those AAAs.

I buy most of my AAA games at launch, the ones I want to play anyway so it doesn't really bother me. None of the indie games appeal to me but I'm really paying for MP access and everything else is just gravy.

I've enjoyed the smaller offerings on PS3 more and also the offerings on PS4.

So yeah that list of AAA titles largely does nothing for me.

AAA doesn't mean I'll automatically be grateful and love whatever tripe like Bioshock they give me.

But a better middle ground with more sprinklings of large games is necessary to placate the number of dissenting voices.

That last part seems very dismissive. You have to at least admit you're not in the majority with your opinion on Bioshock. I agree with you, but it's an extremely popular title and often pointed to as one of the stand out PS+ titles. They just really need to broaden the tastes that they cater to on PS+.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
You have to remember that you got all those games like Red Dead and Ratchet because the PS3 had been out for quite some time. The PS4 library isn't really up there yet, and what is good in terms of big games are still big enough that they are trying to get a bit more real sales out of it. I give it near the end of Year 3/Star of Year 4, that's when you'll probably start to see retail games popping up commonly on the PS4 like you did on the PS3.

you're correct.

Elios83

First year they were justified because there just weren't enough games available to afford to give important releases away.
But yeah at this point they should just step it up, I don't care about most of the indie games they have released on Plus so far.

It's like most people have said...on PS3 it was easy, you could go years into the past and offer AAA titles. Do that too early in a console cycle and it'll cost them a fortune and possibly train some consumers to wait it out on games they want...this has already happened to indie games, based on how often you see people say "will wait for PS+ on this one."

But, man, I still think a lot of the offerings have been great and across 3 platforms, the value is insane.

Zabuza

Banned
I'd say around 1/3 of the games have been ones I enjoyed and played a lot.

I'm super happy with this, we get great Indies every month. Lots of good co-op titles too.

OnPoint

I've had a wonderful time with PS+ and it's opened my eyes to lots of games I might not otherwise have played. But then I tend to play as many weird indie games as I can. I can see it being less of a value for those not actively interested in those types of games, but I urge everyone to give some of the free stuff a shot even if it doesn't immediately interest you. You may be surprised at what's fun.

I don't want AAA games on PS+, because chances are I've already played them. If you wanted Knack so badly wouldn't you have bought it by now? It's probably pretty cheap. I'd much rather get games that I might not have heard of, or bought anyway.

You can't expect brand new triple A titles for free. Give it time. The library is just now getting to a point where it would be feasible to up the quality on games offered. And since its not even the main incentive for most anymore its not even the biggest of issues.

I don't want AAA games on PS+, because chances are I've already played them. If you wanted Knack so badly wouldn't you have bought it by now? It's probably pretty cheap. I'd much rather get games that I might not have heard of, or bought anyway.

This is how I feel. Plus I find many of the best and most interesting games right now are in the indie space, not AAA

Alebrije

Great year for PS3

Meh year for PS4, but I understand this because is to early to have retail games. 2016 I think we will get Knack and first year releases like infamous , Killzone , etc.

VegiHam

It's not about being really desperate to play Knack, it's about seeing what game you're getting and thinking 'oh yeah I heard about that at E3' not 'huh, what is this weird thing? Oh it's 2D zombies, ok.'

I don't buy every AAA game. I'm all digital. Give me the stuff I missed.

That last part seems very dismissive. You have to at least admit you're not in the majority with your opinion on Bioshock. I agree with you, but it's an extremely popular title and often pointed to as one of the stand out PS+ titles. They just really need to broaden the tastes that they cater to on PS+.

Yeah I agree we need some more big games in the Plus lineup. People in this thread are extremely thirsty for those so they should get more.

But that list of games just opened my eyes to the fact that I tend to enjoy the smaller titles offered on Plus, because for AAA games I'm interested in, I buy them at launch or when there's a good price drop after 6+ months.

Definitely some cool big games I miss out on too are amazing to get i.e. DmC

But something like Towerfall alone has given me over 50 hours of entertainment compared to a lot of AAA stuff.

Top Bottom