• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Mafia [Mafia] lOTl Should've Gone for Bagels...

tumblr_nfmf3fG7bD1rdfgw4o1_500.gif

Day 1 Ends

After everyone looking bewildered by Sorian's sudden departure, attention returned to the two suspects under scrutiny. However, as time counted down, suddenly the momentum shifted against the person claiming to be ScraftyDevil.

"Gentlemen, please," she pleaded with her suave demeanor, lifting her bag up just enough to light a cigarette.

"Uh, I'm pretty sure we can't smoke in here. And I'm pretty sure you're not Scrafty," Launchpad said. He reached over the table and pulled the bag off of the player's head.

The player turned out to be none other than CzarTim.

"Nice act, but the unnecessary gambit was a dead giveaway," another player remarked.

CzarTim shrugged. "That's how I roll. Hashtag-"

"Yeah, don't even bother."

CzarTim, looking saddened, stood up and walked away from the table.

Launchpad turned to the rest of the table. "Alright, close your eyes for a minute and let the mafia do their thing."

"Wait, isn't there a better way of figuring out who the scum are than closing our eyes for a minute and letting scum do God knows what to our food?," a player asked.

"Are you moderator? No? Then go the fuck to sleep."
Welcome to GAF Mafia Mafia!

You are CzarTim, the Saboteur!

You are aligned with GAF Scum. You win when scum holds a majority of the votes.

You are the king of unnecessary gambits. As scum, you’ll do anything to win, even doing some rather ridiculous plays that are meaningless and give no one any real information about anything. Somehow, you’re still pretty good at this stuff.

Once per night phase, you can visit a player by sending me the command SABOTAGE: <player name>. By doing this, any other actions that were performed on that player will instead be performed on a player who is chosen at random; I will randomly switch that player’s plate with someone else’s. You will not be notified of who the other player will be, but it could turn out being the player that was originally targeted or yourself. You cannot use this ability if you are assigned to perform the “kill” for your team.

As a member of GAF scum, you and your allies will discuss what action to carry out at night. You dirtbags decided to bring a hot sauce with a high concentration of ghost peppers to eliminate the competition. Once per night, you can choose a player to target with this hot sauce, then one of your members will plant it on the target player’s tacos. The player assigned to carry out the deed needs to PM me with the command KILL: <player name>. Barring interference from other roles, that player will be unable to continue playing and the circumstances will be announced at the beginning of the following day phase. This uses up your “kill” for the night.

Feel free to PM me any questions about your role.

Time remaining in Night Phase 1

t1443373200z3.png

RetroMG

Quick programming note: I will be busy with family events for a lot of the day tomorrow. (It's my nephew's eighteenth birthday.) So I will try to be online periodically, but I might be even quieter than usual.

Day 2 Begins

"Alright, eyes open," Launchpad announced to the table. The players looked down at their plates tepidly, reaching for their tacos and raising them to their mouths to take a bite. Doing so, they chewed and swallowed the bite.

They waited a few seconds, then up to a minute, looking around at each other. Nothing happened. It seemed as though nobody had been hit by the scum's tactics.

"Well, that's awfully lucky. Seems like town is actually doing its job this time. How uncharacteristic," Launchpad goaded. He got some glares, but continued anyway. "Alright, so sort out whatever the hell happened. I think I'm going to need some nachos..."

No one was removed from the table.

image.php

Time remaining in Day Phase 2

t1443546000z4.png

On the other hand, I still don't like Rats' behavior. It's all just a bunch of "maybe" and "could" and "I'll give you something later". Well, latter didn't happen.

Are you lying, or just not paying attention?

With the way the events at the end of the day played out, I'm leaning toward the former. Right now you are by far the most suspicious person in the game.

I know you all hated my approach yesterday so very, very much, so I won't waste time fucking around today.

VOTE: Royal_Flush

roytheone

premade post, yaaay!

So, now that we know Scrafty is scum, I would like everyone to reread this post of her:

My my, I depart to run some errands and return to find that a little self-depreciating joke has been looked way too far into. My facetious self-analysis was referring to Ouro's read of me being "aggressive" and wasn't intended to be anything more than that. Sorian's latching onto such an inconcequential detail has caused him to grow much more supicious in my eyes.

We have precious little time until the deadline for today is up, and to those of you who feel that I am being elusive or otherwise deceitful, I implore you to ask whatever questions you desire directly to me and I promise to answer them with full disclosure. I'd also like to formally invite any town investigator to check my alignment tonight assuming that I live long enough to experience it, as I believe you'll find that the results of your findings shall speak for themselves.

Now, I already commented on why I thought scrafty was proposing this in my top scum list here:

ScraftyDevil: I agree with people that say she is hard to read. The read list maybe was a bit safe, but it didn't stood out to me in a negative way. Neither did her weird self read. However, her comment about wanting the cop to investigate her did set off major alarm bells for me. Knowing who the cop is going to target creates a wonderland of options for Scum to find, or even worse, trick the cop. Our cop getting a fake town result on Scrafty could be incredibly valuable for them. And I think that maybe is what Scrafty is trying to do here: make the cop investigate her so that scum can use their PR to "clear" Scrafty as a fake town positive. I don't like it.

And now, look at the power she has:

Once per night phase, you can visit a player by sending me the command SABOTAGE: <player name>. By doing this, any other actions that were performed on that player will instead be performed on a player who is chosen at random; I will randomly switch that player’s plate with someone else’s. You will not be notified of who the other player will be, but it could turn out being the player that was originally targeted or yourself. You cannot use this ability if you are assigned to perform the “kill” for your team.

Nothing here says that she couldn't self target. And what would have happened if she used her power on herself and a cop was to visit her? The cop would most likely get a fake "town" result, and she would be "cleared" as town. The thing I thought scum was trying to accomplish with that cop invite, is probably EXACTLY what they were doing! They only needed Scrafty to survive D1, and then they had a way to make her a fake cleared town and thus a way to prevent her from being the obvious D2 lynch when Rats flipped town. So her scum partner(s) would probably try to convince us to give her at least one night, so that they could execute their plan. With that in mind, I reread some of the posts at the end of D1, and this one caught my eye:

Well, I'm torn between scrafty and my current vote rats.

I can't make real sense out of this roleclaim, but I didn't - in opposition to some of you apparently - get strong scum vibes from her posts.

On the other hand, I still don't like Rats' behavior. It's all just a bunch of "maybe" and "could" and "I'll give you something later". Well, latter didn't happen.

I'll say we should let scrafty do her thing this night (Trackers, you know what to do) and if we don't see any results, we can lynch her tomorrow. I'm just a bit uneasy with lnyching a claimed PR day 1...

To me, this sounds A LOT like a scum trying to give Scrafty one more night to fake clear her. I am not saying that Royal_flush is for certain the second scum that was trying to help Scrafty, but to me this post doesn't paint him in a good light AT ALL. I defiantly want to focus on him a bit today.

Some other one off thoughts about the end of D1:

- The power that killed Sorian was obviously a scum power, if it was a towny who did it they deserve to be thrown into a dumpster.
- It wasn't scrafty, so someone else present at the end of day 1 has to be the killer, unless someone lied about not being able to be present at the end of day 1.
- Sorians vote no longer counted after the kill, so they may tried to force a tie or even a Rats lynch with it, and used it so close to the end of the day to maximize confusion and their chance to be successful in forcing a tie/Rats lynch. And they got pretty close too, without the Sorian scrafty vote we ALMOST got a tie, which would have given Scum the extra night with Scrafty they wanted.
-Scum would probably not have bussed scrafty too aggressively, there was still a pretty good chance Rats would be lynched instead of Scrafty.
- The second scum was probably there trying to help with a Rats lynch and is the one with the power that killed Sorian. I expect that the third scum would have stayed away from that discussion, putting all your eggs in one basket so early is incredibly dangerous for scum.
- We know A LOT more about scum their PR than normally so early on in the game. We know Scrafty her power, and we know one of the scums has a day time secret kill (which I highly doubt they can use every day, I would guess it is one shot, maaaaaybe two shot at the most). That is one power to confuse PR, and one to straight up kill. I wouldn't be surprised if the final power helps them to find PR.
-Don't forget GreatCharleston his weird behavior with the Ourobolols vote just before Scrafty her role claim took all the attention. I still want an explanation for that!

Swamped

Banned
Town. Pay attention to my vote.

I think you have given us enough info to understand the intention behind this vote.

VOTE: ScraftyDevil

Logic in another post so this can beat the timer.

Also, I was kind of wary of Coppanuva, but this vote makes me think he is probably town. At the time there was a tie between Scrafty and Rats. Coppanuva broke the tie to vote out scum. At this point, I think scum would have done nothing, trying to ensure a no-lynch.

Coppanuva

Some things I want to know first:

1. GreatCharleston, why did you vote for me?
2. Coppa, what were you going to post regarding Scrafty?

In regards to this, I was going to explain my logic in voting for Scrafty at the timer (since logic behind votes is always appreciated). It was also like 1 minute until the day's end at the time and I wanted to make sure my vote got in before the timer, and put off the explanation until today. Basically, the votes were tied way too close at the end, and I didn't want to end the day without a lynch (since that's not productive in any way). I believe the tie was between Rats and Scrafty at the time, which ultimately came down to a quick judgement of playstyles. Scrafty's role claim at the end was way too open-ended and she didn't support the "possible mistakes" well. You can PM launchpad to ask about anything you're confused about, why would you leave the potential consequences of your actions open too much?

Ultimately I voted on scrafty since she was behaving more suspiciously at the time and I wanted to ensure a lynch.

I am not saying that Royal_flush is for certain the second scum

I am. My behavior yesterday was no accident. I was intentionally painting a target on my back, in hopes of drawing out some scum going for an easy lynch. It was a risky move, I know, but my death wouldn't have been a great loss, so I figured I'd go for a weird play while I still had the chance.

RF's aggression toward me, as well as his attitude toward Scrafty, does not look good for him. There's also Scrafty's reads list:

1.Ourobolus: Seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. Made some rather perceptive reads, a few minor errors nonwithstanding. Intrigued to see what stations his train of thought makes stops at in the future. Verdict: Town
2.ScraftyDevil: First time playing a day 1. Playing aggressively to test for sensitive spots or test cracks in earlygame facades, but has not come to any solid conclusions yet. Excellent taste in headgear. Verdict: Ravishing
3. Matt Attack: Total radio silence aside from a couple of posts on the suspicious Terrabyte. Not enough to get a read on yet, but women's intuition says he's good. Verdict: Town
4. RetroMG: Similar position as Mattie; not enough information to go either way. Did place a vote on a few suspicious minds, however; will have to keep that in mind. Verdict: ???
5. Rats Off To Ya: Suspiciously quiet and non-committal; possibly trying to hide behind the veil of a "reactive player." Will keep close eye on, but no immediate action must be taken. Verdict: Mafia?
6. roytheone: Seems to share a few of my suspicions. Generally harmless so far. Verdict: Town
7. Coppanuva: Hasn't said much of substance yet. Internal bias leans town, but it's too early to say for sure. Verdict: ???
8. Royal_Flush: Has not yet said anything of interest. Verdict: ???
9. *Splinter: Very headstrong, which could be construed as the sign of a gung-ho townie or a twitchy mafioso. Hasn't done too much aside from go after suspicious minds thus far, so no reason to believe the latter is true yet. Verdict: Town
10. Sawneeks: Very complex. Reasoning alternates between being very on-point and grasping at straws, but her heart seems to be in the right place. Verdict: Town?
11. Terrabyte20xx: Textbook suspicious individual. Swings vote around like a bat trying to hit a pinata. Got a bad feeling about this one. Verdict: Mafia
12. GreatCharleston: Has said nothing of real value thus far, but gives off the worst vibe of the quiet ones for some reason. Verdict: Mafia?
13. squidyj: Very shady indeed. Current most likely candidate for mafia, but could just be trying to bait other slimeballs in a crazy gambit. Verdict: Mafia
14. Swamped: Unsure if behaviour at the beginning of the game was reverse-psychology or just joking around, but doesn't seem overtly shady as of now. Then again, history shows what a master manipulator she can be. Verdict: Town?
15. Sorian: Giving off bad vibes right now. Could be going after Suspect #1 Squidy-poo as an act if they're both mafia, but seems more likely that they're just at each other's throats. Verdict: Neutral/Mafia?
16. StarSketch: No tells detected thus far. Will keep an eye on for now. Verdict: Town

A very weak comment on Royal Flush. Easily the weakest of the bunch. Sticks out like a sore thumb.

*Splinter

Oh my end-votes were all to avoid a tie. If I hadn't swapped back last minute then Sorian's death would have given us a tie. You're welcome

I didn't really suspect Scrafty much before the role claim. Go team, RIP Flush

Scrafty gave a pretty condemning read on Terrabyte on her list, so while that doesn't entirely clear him, I'm pretty hesitant to believe a scum player would throw one of their partners so thoroughly under the bus in her situation.

Anyways, good job everybody who voted for Scrafty. I wasn't able to commit to it in the end but now I'm glad we went this route.

squidyj

I want to hear everyone's top scum and top town
then I want to hear starsketch's top scum and top town

then I want to ignore everything and lynch splinter

Vote: *Splinter

Ourobolus

Banned

Why *Splinter?

TOP TOWN
Rats Off To Ya
Matt Attack
Sawneeks

TOP SCUM
RetroMG**********
Terrabyte20xx
Royal_Flush

Concerned about:
roytheone
GreatCharleston

Are you lying, or just not paying attention?

With the way the events at the end of the day played out, I'm leaning toward the former. Right now you are by far the most suspicious person in the game.

I know you all hated my approach yesterday so very, very much, so I won't waste time fucking around today.

VOTE: Royal_Flush

Well, this is embarrassing. Somehow I have no recollection of this post. I even used the search function to find all posts made by you before posting but somehow I must have missed it. I have no clue how this happened. So, to answer your question: Not paying attention, I guess.

To me, this sounds A LOT like a scum trying to give Scrafty one more night to fake clear her. I am not saying that Royal_flush is for certain the second scum that was trying to help Scrafty, but to me this post doesn't paint him in a good light AT ALL. I defiantly want to focus on him a bit today.
So not going for a lynch on a claimed PR is a #scumtell now? You are driving this meta-day-1-PR-lynch-thingy way too far. Of course I was trying to help scrafty, because I didn't get those suspicious vibes some of you apparently got from her, so I wanted her to live tonight so she can use her claimed PR. What I didn't foresee was that she basically wasn't even lying and she indeed had a PR that could cause great confusion. So if you want me to accuse of something than of being shortsighted or not considering every possibility. But not of being scum. (especially because I had another prime lynch target. Well turns out, I did only because I wasn't paying enough attention...)

I am. My behavior yesterday was no accident. I was intentionally painting a target on my back, in hopes of drawing out some scum going for an easy lynch. It was a risky move, I know, but my death wouldn't have been a great loss, so I figured I'd go for a weird play while I still had the chance.

RF's aggression toward me, as well as his attitude toward Scrafty, does not look good for him. There's also Scrafty's reads list:

A very weak comment on Royal Flush. Easily the weakest of the bunch. Sticks out like a sore thumb.
How exactly is the read on me any different than the read on Coppa for instance? (Tough Coppa probably isn't scum given the last minute scrafty cote)

So, enough defense for now, on to the offense:
I agree that there probably is at least one scum among the people that voted for Rats. Possibly even the third, tough that could be one of yesterdays inactive people. I want to hear something from anyone that voted for Rats yesterday (That includes me; coming up as soon as I typed it for the sake of keeping the length of this one post at bay)

What I also really want to know is what the hell GreatCharlston was up to yesterday.

For the record: I have no clue what Ouro is trying to tell us. If you want me to know you have to try something different.

squidyj

So..... splinter.

I don't understand the question

You also missed "both are scum"

Misunderstanding a simple question, and then after clarification he never gets back to the point

Commenting on a self-read... Are you and Sorian competing for a "weirdest D1" award that the rest of us don't know about?

Would you say this make it a poor set of reads?

about me commenting on scrafty's self-read

I'm saying I don't believe that there was nothing else in the thread (or even just that post) more worthy of comment than a self-read.

Won't discuss any of the things he seems to think are worthy of comment, won't say what they are, won't give opinions on them, just wants to berate me for commenting on scrafty.

And then he set up the tie on rats that coppanuva broke with 1 minute left in the day.

Ourobolus

Banned
And then he set up the tie on rats that coppanuva broke with 1 minute left in the day.

The other points I'll consider, but Splinter's vote was a minute or less after roy's - I just would assume that he voted for Rats without seeing Roy's vote.
Still Rats over Scrafty is a little suspect.

roytheone

I know Retro is busy, but I would like to see his list of reads.

roy - can you provide a list too?

I can, it is a bit of a quick and dirty list though, and this list is based on me assuming that you are indeed implying what I think you are implying. I will provide something more substantial later in the day.

TOP TOWN:
Ourobolols - good posts all around, actively trying to get reactions from people. If what you are implying is true, you are for certain town.
Sawneeks - Stays a bit more in the background, but the posts she does make are all well reasoned and I tend to agree with them.

TOP SCUM:
RetroMG - Purely based on if what I think you are implying is indeed true.
Royal_flush - See my pre made post.
*splinter - Get the feeling he tries to get some towny points with his last minute switch from Rats to Scrafty, even though he created the tie situation by going from Scrafty to Rats to begin with.

So not going for a lynch on a claimed PR is a #scumtell now? You are driving this meta-day-1-PR-lynch-thingy way too far. Of course I was trying to help scrafty, because I didn't get those suspicious vibes some of you apparently got from her, so I wanted her to live tonight so she can use her claimed PR. What I didn't foresee was that she basically wasn't even lying and she indeed had a PR that could cause great confusion. So if you want me to accuse of something than of being shortsighted or not considering every possibility. But not of being scum. (especially because I had another prime lynch target. Well turns out, I did only because I wasn't paying enough attention...)

I could understand this sentiment right after her initial role claim. But you made that post after she kept making her power more vague, and literally saying: "yo, this power could backfire greatly but I can't say what it does!" Hell, she even said that she herself didn't know exactly what her power did. So yeah, wanting to test such an incredibly vague and risky role claim is a scumtell for me.

squidyj

The other target I think is Rats.

Now, maybe the way the day kill worked was it didn't activate until the end of the day phase but I feel like we should consider the possibility that it was meant to be immediateish.

If so why didn't mafia use it earlier in the day phase? they could have killed sorian when he was still talking about me but they didn't.
I think that perhaps when rats was getting voted up they tried to push on him instead of scrafty because he had a power he could use during the day making him vanilla, making his death less harmful to mafia. So they tried to get him lynched and he used his power.

Today he comes back with "i was trying to look scum guys" which is something I never like, it's something town can't afford to trust.

To clarify: With something I mean something like ^, but with reason if possible.

I'll comment the changes on my list compared to my last day's list 527.
Town:
-Sawneeks: I still like her last day's posts
-Coppanuva: last minute vote on scrafty while there still was a chance for a tie. I doubt mafia would do this.
-roytheone: reason for being above squidiyj: Today's premade post
-squidiyj: Not that he had become a lot more scummier, but as it is a top 3 list, someone has to fall off when a new one enters.

Mafia:
-Matt Attack: He was around during the end of the day (posts in twilight) yet didn't comment or move his vote to the from his perspective more scummy player. Some half-hearted accusation on scrafty after others started going after her 568. Went after Terra early on, so they likely aren't both scum.
-Terrabyte20xx: Hasn't changed much to yesterday. Below Matt Attack because of scrafty's reads, but that doesn't need to mean much. Probably not scum if Matt Attack is and vice versa.
-*Splinter: This one is kind of a stretch, because I don't have a strong third candidate. Plays very aggressive, is mocking people yet doesn't provide a lot of new impulses. Last minute flip-flopping to prevent (or cause, but I don't think so) a tie kind of shufts him a bit more in town direction, tough... Not sure at all about this, but hey, I have to pick someone.
Rats Off To ya: While I'm still not entirely convinced he's town, the fact that he was the main contestant for D1 lynch apart from scrafty (and my entire accusation crumbled to dust after he showed me his read-post where I still don't have any clue how I missed that) he definitely is more on the town side.
Sorian: dead, confirmed town

Top Bottom