• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Final Fantasy XII (JPN) Thread (read RULES in the first post)

duckroll

Okay, to start things off here are the rules:

01. Gameplay discussion is okay, anything regarding simply GAMEPLAY with plot elements or character-enemy references made vague or spoiler marked is fine.

02. Story spoilers that occur at ANY point of time in the game (even in the INTRO) are to be spoiler marked. I don't care if they're from a mag or you THINK people have seen them in trailers. Mark it or shove it.

03. People actually playing the game should give a general idea of how far they are into the game when discussing certain points to make it easier for the rest of us playing it to determine if we can view the marked spoilers, as well as to give a better idea of how to assist in strategies based on what is available.

04. No discussion on the ending, the final boss or the final dungeon whatsoever. None. If you beat it, that's great. Congrats, but not in this thread please. If you downloaded the ending, read about the final boss/dungeon somewhere else or just know anything about the above-mentioned, you know what NOT to do.

05. Impressions are expected but ONLY if they are your own and from a retail copy of the game. No early pirate impressions in here, no translation of 2ch impressions, no crap like that. You can litter any of the OTHER infected FFXII threads with that.

06. Have fun, worship Matsuno and enjoy FFXII.

With that out of the way, let's get the thread rolling. :D

B000EOVS08.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Release Date: 16/03/06
Platform: Playstation 2
Cost: 8,900yen
Players: 1 Player
Publusher: Square Enix

Timeline of Development:

2001 Fall - Development Begins
2003 Nov - FFXII unveiled, release set for Summer 2004
2004 Pre-E3 - Release delayed to "Fall 2004 to Spring 2005"
2004 E3 - FFXII rocks our world for the first time
2005 July - FFXII delayed to 16th March 2006 offcially
2006 March - FFXII released

THE GAME IS AVAILABLE NOW, WHAT ARE YOU DOING WASTING YOUR TIME READING GAF?

Special GAF Gift

http://matsunocurse.info

Hosted and produced by: jiji
Concept and team leader: duckroll
Maintained by: duckroll, Mandoric, Jasconius and jiji

NOTICE
It is currently VERY work-in-progress. But all the main sections are up. There won't be any REAL information there until probably this weekend. Anything you see up there in the FFXII section is either a TEMPLATE of a PLACEHOLDER of some sort. It will be updated AS we play and in as much detail as possible. If you have ANY feedback as to what sections should be added and what you would like to see, just let us know. I won't be touching it again until this Friday when I have my game though, so enjoy whatever is there and please be patient! :D

Simo

Wicked.

I'm not importing this time round but I'm still excited to read some solid impressions from the finished product after so long being in development. :D

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll, people only read bolded parts.

So to be safe, add this:

Basically, MARK YOUR FUCKING SPOILERS COCK TWIRLERS

duckroll

Okay so I've been away from the countdown thread since the Famitsu review hit. There are a bunch of reasons why, namely because on the same day my grandmother passed away. But that's OT material so I won't bore you with it here. I've been busy with family stuff since then and whenever I got home it was pretty clear that the thread had degenerated into Jump-spoiler-land. What a great time to bail. I'll be getting my FFXII PSTwo set on Friday (for me, Thursday for you Americans!) so that's when MY impressions will start. Remember how I promised that when the countdown thread ran out and the game STILL wasn't out in Japan there would be a surprise? Well, whatever, that surprise has been delayed to Thursday in Japan when THIS proper countdown runs out. Trust me, anyone importing the game will be delighted with it. :D

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
There are a bunch of reasons why, namely because on the same day my grandmother passed away.

Sorry to hear this :(

duckroll said:
I've been busy with family stuff since then and whenever I got home it was pretty clear that the thread had degenerated into Jump-spoiler-land. What a great time to bail. I'll be getting my FFXII PSTwo set on Friday (for me, Thursday for you Americans!) so that's when MY impressions will start. Remember how I promised that when the countdown thread ran out and the game STILL wasn't out in Japan there would be a surprise? Well, whatever, that surprise has been delayed to Thursday in Japan when THIS proper countdown runs out. Trust me, anyone importing the game will be delighted with it. :D

Can't wait for the secret.

Snaku

Banned
I have my import pre-ordered. :D Don't know a lick of Japanese, but I'll be damned if I don't play this game the day it's released after 4 years of waiting. I'm waiting with bells on Matsuno-san. I'm waiting.

Simo

Would it be ok to post the Angela Aki single "Kiss Me Good-Bye" here or in the Countdown thread? I guess it was supposed to be released this coming Wednesday but it was already leaked online.

Diablos

2001 Fall - Development Begins
2003 Nov - FFXII unveiled, release set for Summer 2004
2004 Pre-E3 - Release delayed to "Fall 2004 to Spring 2005"
2004 E3 - FFXII rocks our world for the first time
2005 July - FFXII delayed to 16th March 2006 offcially
2006 March - FFXII released
You've come a long way, baby.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Man sad to hear the countdown thread turned into spoiler-land, kind of why I stopped reading it properly after a few pages, knew it was coming. Was a good idea though.

Condolences to duckroll and famiily.

duckroll

Simo said:
Would it be ok to post the Angela Aki single "Kiss Me Good-Bye" here or in the Countdown thread? I guess it was supposed to be released this coming Wednesday but it was already leaked online.

Go ahead! I welcome it! :D

duron256

Anyone know if Yodobashi or Bic Camera is going to sell the FF12 PS2 bundle, I did not see any reservation promotion for the hardware bundle in the stores, does this mean I have to line up on 3/16? (I need my points)

Bebpo

Banned
Depending on if Square Enix+Sony are really able to hold off the Asia release from the 14th to 16th, I'll start chiming in either thurs or sat.

I'll also be keeping a running daily journal of my daily 10 hour experiences of FFXII complete with screenshots and videos at a website that is generously offering to give me cash for it. So when that's up and running I'll give a mention of it, but I dunno if I'd really recommend for people to read it. I'll try to be vague and not have any story details. But it'll still have stuff like "deserts are ~~~, towns are ~~~, airships are ~~~~" and of course the pictures will be slight spoilers since they will be new locations. I'll mainly be commenting on the gameplay systems and their evolvement throughout the game and the areas of the game itself. The most I'll say about the plot is if it's fast/slow/boring/interesting etc...

For this thread though I'll mainly stick to just posting stuff like "FFAWESOME!!!"

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ah yes, the week has finally arrived. Can't wait for this party to start!

Probably won't bother too much with my own impressions, though, as I'm sure Bebpo will have us covered * 100. How could I compete!? :D

Snaku

Banned
dark10x said:
Ah yes, the week has finally arrived. Can't wait for this party to start!

Probably won't bother too much with my own impressions, though, as I'm sure Bebpo will have us covered * 100. How could I compete!? :D

Never hurts to have multiple points of view. :)

Johnas

I eagerly await impressions from you guys. Hoping to hear some Vagrant Story comparisons here and there.

What's the estimated completion time again (without and with sidequests)?

Bebpo

Banned
Snaku said:
Never hurts to have multiple points of view. :)

Yeah, especially because me and duckroll are probably gonna have a tough time nitpicking the problems. I'm too big of an FF fan and he's too big of a Matsuno fan.

We need someone more level-headed keeping the praise under control.

Amir0x

Banned
Matsuno + first true FF since FFX + awesome future no random battles + Hitoshi Sakamoto(sp) = best FF ever

what multiple points of view need there be?

FFXII is the future.

Snaku

Banned
Bebpo said:
Yeah, especially because me and duckroll are probably gonna have a tough time nitpicking the problems. I'm too big of an FF fan and he's too big of a Matsuno fan.

And I'm a combination of both of you. :lol This game was > * since 2003. ;)

Tabris

Interesting link:

http://www.angela-aki.com/

She sings the theme song to FFXII. She also did her own version of Eyes on Me. Listen to it under Discography > 3rd CD.

Also something about her is very attractive. Both the look and her voice.

duckroll

Amir0x said:
Matsuno + first true FF since FFX + awesome future no random battles + Hitoshi Sakamoto(sp) = best FF ever

FFXII is the future.

QTF! :D

duckroll

belgurdo said:
Can the splotch in the logo art be explained yet?

That's the splotch of cum that hits the cover after the gamer plays the game. Since it'll definitely happen with everyone who plays the game, they decided to add it into the logo as part of the representation of how the game rocks.

belgurdo

Banned
duckroll said:
That's the splotch of cum that hits the cover after the gamer plays the game. Since it'll definitely happen with everyone who plays the game, they decided to add it into the logo as part of the representation of how the game rocks.

excellent :lol

Ohhh...I was going to produce a massive impressions thread tomorrow/Tuesday... :(.

I even had pics, a cool introduction, history on the game...:(

I should sleep. Really.

Amir0x said:

FFXII is the future.

I agree! GOTY 2006

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
I'll be holding off on the game until I hear impressions from you guys, so make sure they're as hyperbolic as possible.

Tiktaalik

I'll be watching this thread closely. Back in the SNES days I was the biggest Final Fantasy and Squaresoft fan ever, but the combination of Final Fantasy VIII, IX and X have completely soured me on the series (lets not derail). There seems to be a lot of hype over this one so I'll be watching intently, but I think I'll only pick it up if someone who didn't like Final Fantasy X says that XII is good.

duckroll said:
Well, whatever, that surprise has been delayed to Thursday in Japan when THIS proper countdown runs out. Trust me, anyone importing the game will be delighted with it. :D

hmm, i've ordered the asian version....is this surprise japan exclusive...?

dark10x

I see there is an event going on at the Shibuya Tsutaya for this one. What I don't get is that, during the evening portion of the event, in addition to Angela Aki's performance of the theme song, they say that Uematsu will be showing up. He didn't have anything to do with the music this time, did he? Or did I miss something? Is he just coming to celebrate or something?

duckroll

dark10x said:
I see there is an event going on at the Shibuya Tsutaya for this one. What I don't get is that, during the evening portion of the event, in addition to Angela Aki's performance of the theme song, they say that Uematsu will be showing up. He didn't have anything to do with the music this time, did he? Or did I miss something? Is he just coming to celebrate or something?

It's a big countdown event culmilating in a mini-live concert by Angela Aki. Uematsu composed her song so it's natural for him to attend and pimp his Black Mages more. :D

Don't be too hard on the guy, it's his only song in the entire game so it's his only chance for publicity until the next Studio 1 FF (FF13) is ready for release! :lol

Ceb

duckroll said:
Remember how I promised that when the countdown thread ran out and the game STILL wasn't out in Japan there would be a surprise? Well, whatever, that surprise has been delayed to Thursday in Japan when THIS proper countdown runs out. Trust me, anyone importing the game will be delighted with it. :D

Secret English subtitle option? :D Nothing else could delight me. :(

dark10x

duckroll said:
It's a big countdown event culmilating in a mini-live concert by Angela Aki. Uematsu composed her song so it's natural for him to attend and pimp his Black Mages more. :D

Don't be too hard on the guy, it's his only song in the entire game so it's his only chance for publicity until the next Studio 1 FF (FF13) is ready for release! :lol
Yeah, I knew he had composed that song...but wasn't sure whether or not he did anything else for the game. I have a feeling that the soundtrack to this game is going to be something REALLY special, though. When Sakimoto really puts his mind to it, he can create some truly incredible music.

Man, the excitement is just building to an insane level. Have you seen any more detailed (spoiler free) reviews around, duckroll? The Famitsu reviews are always way too brief. I've been taking caution with looking around for too much info, but I'd still like to read something that touches a bit more on various aspects of the game.

duckroll

Zilch said:
Are we not allowed to post media in this thread?

When in doubt, defer to the rules and follow your heart. If you think you have to ask, then I don't think that media is suitable for this thread. Do remember that tagged images will appear for EVERYONE, unlike say, a spoiler tagged url. If you think some people might not want to see that image, don't tag it. :D

dark10x said:
Yeah, I knew he had composed that song...but wasn't sure whether or not he did anything else for the game. I have a feeling that the soundtrack to this game is going to be something REALLY special, though. When Sakimoto really puts his mind to it, he can create some truly incredible music.

Yeah no kidding, I just started a new game of Vagrant Story today (actually I just put it in to see the intro again, but within 30 minutes I was digging for my PS1 memory card and decided to spend the next few days going through the awesome experience again) and WOW the music rocks. Vagrant Story is one of the few games which is every bit as good as I remembered it even now, a whooping 7 years later. :D

Man, the excitement is just building to an insane level. Have you seen any more detailed (spoiler free) reviews around, duckroll? The Famitsu reviews are always way too brief. I've been taking caution with looking around for too much info, but I'd still like to read something that touches a bit more on various aspects of the game.

What, do you think I'm *mad*? The game is officially available for retail in Taiwan and Hong Kong now. I could probably even buy it tomorrow if not for the fact that I'm held back by the JAPANESE FFXII PSTwo Set. I'm staying as far away from 2ch as possible to avoid accidentally loading a 1 meg jpg of ending images. :lol

Zilch

Banned
duckroll said:
When in doubt, defer to the rules and follow your heart. If you think you have to ask, then I don't think that media is suitable for this thread. Do remember that tagged images will appear for EVERYONE, unlike say, a spoiler tagged url. If you think some people might not want to see that image, don't tag it. :D

Well the media in question is a movie, and I think it might be from the final retail copy (it's a fight between 3 of the characters and a bunch of soldiers and it isn't a part of any previously released or publically played demo).

Anyhow, here it is... you have a choice of clicking or not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIPLYI6XIw4

Simo

Zilch said:
Well the media in question is a movie, and I think it might be from the final retail copy (it's a fight between 3 of the characters and a bunch of soldiers and it isn't a part of any previously released or publically played demo).

Anyhow, here it is... you have a choice of clicking or not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIPLYI6XIw4

Yeah it is from the final retail copy. Also it confirms what duckroll mentioned in the countdown thread about whether or not Hume enemies drop Gil or not.

Another interesting bit of the short video is that....
*Spoilers for number of characters and battle just incase*
....is that there are 4 main characters engaged in battle while only 3 of them actually consist of the main party.

duckroll said:
The surprise is something I'm doing for you guys. It doesn't matter what version you're playing. :D

This surprise is almost as intriguing as the game. You better not disappoint. :D

*waiting for Play Asia 'Order dispatched' confirmation*

Srider

Banned
Simo said:
Yeah it is from the final retail copy. Also it confirms what duckroll mentioned in the countdown thread about whether or not Hume enemies drop Gil or not.

Another interesting bit of the short video is that....
*Spoilers for number of characters and battle just incase*
....is that there are 4 main characters engaged in battle while only 3 of them actually consist of the main party.

Yeah, the game is on sale in an asian country that starts with T. My copy should come soon.

Snaku

Banned
So which version is everyone getting? I'm getting the Asian version, since JPN pre-orders were sold out. :lol

Top Bottom