• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Final Fantasy XII (JPN) Thread (read RULES in the first post)

I'm getting the Asian version, cos it's out earlier. What's not 'real' about it? Asian versions are identical aside from the extra Chinese/English instructions... no?

Bebpo

Banned
They're the same but it just feels slightly more official to have a "FOR JAPAN ONLY" sign on the back instead of "FOR HOME USE" sign.

Snaku

Banned
tebiro boy said:
I'm getting the Asian version, cos it's out earlier. What's not 'real' about it? Asian versions are identical aside from the extra Chinese/English instructions... no?

It's just a collector's thing. If you're not anal about that sort of thing, it doesn't make a lick of difference.

Diablos

What's the difference between "Asian" and "Japan" versions?

Japan is Japan... why release two versions in Japanese? Is "Asian" a bootlegged copy or something?

edit: Oh. Chinese/English instructions... that's it?

Snaku

Banned
Diablos said:
What's the difference between "Asian" and "Japan" versions?

Japan is Japan... why release two versions in Japanese? Is "Asian" a bootlegged copy or something?

edit: Oh. Chinese/English instructions... that's it?

And a For Japan label on the back cover.

Red Scarlet

Many purists go apeshit if they get the Asian version. All that's usually different is what was already said by others. I just figure if I can pay $70 for the Asian one or $80 for the JP one, I'll plop down the extra $10 anyway. I don't care otherwise if I get a game not at release; sometimes the price difference is rather extreme ($20 for Asian FF10i while $70+ and harder to find for the JP version).

As such, I think I only have 3 Asian version games, FF8 (tricked by buyrite), FF10i (cheaper), FFX2i (was in stock while the JP one wasn't). For games with bonus video DVD's, I think it does matter to get the JP one because I have a JP PS2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ah, Final Fantasy. Finally a new release.

My favorite game series...and the series contains my favorite game ever, Final Fantasy VII. I remember the truly magical experience I had while playing that game-- and every Final Fantasy I played after it. I worked forwards and I worked backwards. I've savored every moment of this wonderful series.

Finally, the series has rejuvenated itself with some fantastic direction and a really intriguing new gameplay structure. Welcome home, FFXII!!!

Shouta

There's some in Japan only bonuses that come with games which makes the game more desirable at times. Other than that though, the games are identical in every way except for the labeling on the back (For Home Use vs For Japan Only) and the Chinese/English insert.

For example, the Japanese version of Grandia III had a reversible cover but the Asian version of Grandia III does not.

Bebpo

Banned
Final Fantasy changed my life. I played through VIII in Japanese before I knew a lick of the language and it forced me to learn the word for METEOR, and in Japanese the "me" letter looks really cool like a sword so it made me want to learn Japanese!

FFVI was the first rpg I ever beat and the first game to move me emotionally.

FFVII was the first time I locked myself into a room and played a game for 3 weeks straight neglecting all my friends because I HAD TO PLAY MORE

FFIX changed my life because it was the first time an rpg FROZE EVERY FUCKING TIME IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT DURING THE LAST 10 SECONDS OF THE ENDING. Only have to beat it 3 times to make sure it was the disc, then go and return the game and get a new one, then go through the 1 hour final battle+ending for a FOURTH TIME just to see THE TWO MOONS BECOME ONE.

FFX was the first rpg I played in Japanese where I actually UNDERSTOOD what was being said and FFX is the reason I bought my Japanese PS2. It was the first time I'd ever bought a 2nd system (I'd just modded Saturn/DC for imports). But the game was so amazing I had to do it and buy a 2nd and Japanese system. That led to me buying all sorts of wacky crazy games I'd never known of because I had an import system and I was living in Japan at the time.

FFXI almost changed my life by making me play an MMORPG for the first time...but yeah that didn't happen ^^;

FFXII was my entire reason for sneaking into E3 in 2004 and secretly playing the entire 4-6 hours of the demo, just so I could tell it all to duckroll. It was also the main reason I went out to the Square-Enix show in Tokyo!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bebpo said:
Final Fantasy changed my life. I played through VIII in Japanese before I knew a lick of the language and it forced me to learn the word for METEOR, and in Japanese the "me" letter looks really cool like a sword so it made me want to learn Japanese!

FFVI was the first rpg I ever beat and the first game to move me emotionally.

FFVII was the first time I locked myself into a room and played a game for 3 weeks straight neglecting all my friends because I HAD TO PLAY MORE

FFIX changed my life because it was the first time an rpg FROZE EVERY FUCKING TIME IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT DURING THE LAST 10 SECONDS OF THE ENDING. Only have to beat it 3 times to make sure it was the disc, then go and return the game and get a new one, then go through the 1 hour final battle+ending for a FOURTH TIME just to see THE TWO MOONS BECOME ONE.

FFX was the first rpg I played in Japanese where I actually UNDERSTOOD what was being said and FFX is the reason I bought my Japanese PS2. It was the first time I'd ever bought a 2nd system (I'd just modded Saturn/DC for imports). But the game was so amazing I had to do it and buy a 2nd and Japanese system. That led to me buying all sorts of wacky crazy games I'd never known of because I had an import system and I was living in Japan at the time.

FFXI almost changed my life by making me play an MMORPG for the first time...but yeah that didn't happen ^^;

FFXII was my entire reason for sneaking into E3 in 2004 and secretly playing the entire 4-6 hours of the demo, just so I could tell it all to duckroll. It was also the main reason I went out to the Square-Enix show in Tokyo!

How'd you learn Japanese? Did you take a course? Move to Japan?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Bebpo felt up girls in some east bumfuck part of Japan for the better part of a year :D

BTW, Angela Aki is having a small performance in Shibuya Tsutaya on the 16th to commemorate the release of the game. Hopefully I can get an autograph and a quickie in the bathroom.

Srider

Banned
Reno said:
Bebpo felt up girls in some east bumfuck part of Japan for the better part of a year :D

BTW, Angela Aki is having a small performance in Shibuya Tsutaya on the 16th to commemorate the release of the game. Hopefully I can get an autograph and a quickie in the bathroom.

Chances are, all the otakus are going to rush home to play instead of watching her... then again, she's a girl.

duckroll

Ok here's the deal:

The asian FFXII is available in stock in a store now TODAY. But what I have pre-ordered is the Japanese FFXII PSTwo set, and I'm NOT cancelling that. That will come in on Friday. If I wait, I might go mad and die. If I buy the Asian version now as well, I lose about 80 bucks. This is a stupid decision. So here's what I've considered:

If someone on GAF is willing to buy my Asian copy, it will be kept MINT but be used for 4 days of course, I am willing to let it go for 50 dollars + shipping (whatever you choose) and I'll ship it on Friday. I'm located in Singapore, so shipping by EMS will cost about 15-20 USD and Airmail will be much cheaper but slower. EMS takes about 3 days. If you feel 50 dollars is too much let me know if there is a better price you want. This offer will be closed once I feel it's not worth wasting my money to play the game "sooner".

Thank you and remember, the sooner I get the game, the sooner impressions come. :D

Troidal

duckroll said:
Ok here's the deal:

The asian FFXII is available in stock in a store now TODAY. But what I have pre-ordered is the Japanese FFXII PSTwo set, and I'm NOT cancelling that. That will come in on Friday. If I wait, I might go mad and die. If I buy the Asian version now as well, I lose about 80 bucks. This is a stupid decision. So here's what I've considered:

If someone on GAF is willing to buy my Asian copy, it will be kept MINT but be used for 4 days of course, I am willing to let it go for 50 dollars + shipping (whatever you choose) and I'll ship it on Friday. I'm located in Singapore, so shipping by EMS will cost about 15-20 USD and Airmail will be much cheaper but slower. EMS takes about 3 days. If you feel 50 dollars is too much let me know if there is a better price you want. This offer will be closed once I feel it's not worth wasting my money to play the game "sooner".

Thank you and remember, the sooner I get the game, the sooner impressions come. :D

Man are you so desperate to play the game? :p
Wait for your bundle man.

In the meantime, I can give you my impressions tomorrow ;-)

Srider

Banned
My copy is arriving in the morning! :) I'll post back after I play it a bit, duckroll will probably get it first though, amazing that he can hold it out.

duckroll said:
Ok here's the deal:

i may be misinformed, but wont you have to restart the game after your version switch? ive never had both asia and jpn version of a game so im not too sure about that.

Bebpo

Banned
meltpotato said:
i may be misinformed, but wont you have to restart the game after your version switch? ive never had both asia and jpn version of a game so im not too sure about that.

No. The games are identical. It's only the packaging that's different.

So no one has it yet? My copy's been dispatched, but living on the other side of the world I probably won't get it til the end of the week. :( Beginning to wish I'd gone with EMS...

White Man

duckroll said:
Ok here's the deal:

Did anyone take you up on this offer?

Srider

Banned
This game is too much, it's a masterpiece so far. It has managed to bring back the feeling of adventure that's been missing for far too long in RPG's. There is almost nothing to complain about this game, and the new battle system is such a pleasant change for the better. I love this game so much already.

hint: Remember to turn on vibration since the game doesn't have it on by default.

Majmun

Srider said:
This game is too much, it's a masterpiece so far. It has managed to bring back the feeling of adventure that's been missing for far too long in RPG's. There is almost nothing to complain about this game, and the new battle system is such a pleasant change for the better. I love this game so much already.

hint: Remember to turn on vibration since the game doesn't have it on by default.

Good to hear that it's shaking your pleasant already. :D

These kind of impressions are always nice to hear. But they make the waiting hurt a bit more...

RaijinFY

Srider said:

OMG! Plz post more of your impressions.. :D

Can anybody tell me where the best place to go early tomorrow morning to see the hardcore FF fans lining up? I was assuming akiba but am not sure which store to go to. Having just moved to Japan, I want to go along and see the whole freaks/campers scene. I also want to take some pics for a site in Australia.

Thanks in advance guys.

Amir0x

Banned
Srider said:

Oh yes. Best FF ever is gonna be officially confirmed soon. Matsuno always wins.

Keep us updated for real!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I ARE BACK BITCHES!
But my copy only just shipped. :(

B.K.

I a bit disappointed. The song almost sounded almost exactly like Final Fantasy IV's version of the song. I was hoping for something a little better from Sakimoto.

Johnas

B.K. said:
The song almost sounded almost exactly like Final Fantasy IV's version of the song.

EXACTLY

It has enough stronger/different enough notes in places to sound fresh. It's a legendary game tune. It definitely sounds deeper and richer to me.

Shouta

Damn, that was all epic and shit. It's the same feeling I get from the Main Dragon Quest theme when I hear it. It FEELs like a FF game. Whoo, I can't wait to get my grubby hands on the game but I won't be able to play it for a few weeks =(

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
My dumb ass had to go for the cheapest shipping. :(
This waiting will be pain.

B.K.

Ancestor said:
EXACTLY

It has enough stronger/different enough notes in places to sound fresh. It's a legendary game tune. It definitely sounds deeper and richer to me.

Don't get me wrong. I liked Final Fantasy IV's version, but I would have liked more instruments and make a bit of a remix to it. Final Fantasy VIII's version of the song is still my favorite. I'm glad it's back. I was afraid Advent Children was the last we'd hear of it. I just wasn't expecting it to be Final Fantasy IV's versiono of it.

Red Scarlet

Amir0x said:
Someone find a way to rip the music and put it in neat mp3 form. for 56k :(

I could record the music in-game. Due to sound effects (unless they can be disabled), the songs would have them. I should be able to do the song in that youtube video no problem.
Still no notification, maybe tomorrow.

FF4's is my favorite verson of the theme, that sounded real nice (didn't watch the video).

Amir0x

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I could record the music in-game. Due to sound effects (unless they can be disabled), the songs would have them. I should be able to do the song in that youtube video no problem.
Still no notification, maybe tomorrow.

FF4's is my favorite verson of the theme, that sounded real nice (didn't watch the video).

That'd be awesome when you get a chance.

Top Bottom