• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does PS Vita exist / Lack of Vita games at E3

Tobor

1. Sony made a tactical decision to show it off bigtime on the floor and not on stage because handheld games are awkward to show off on 100 foot screens.

This was a tactical mistake. I understand their thinking but they were wrong. The bad press, the bad feeling from gamers... the bad feelings from fans all could have been avoided except they got this very big decision completely fucking wrong.

How do you know this was the thinking? Do you have a source or link?

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah lot of damage control here.

It's not a matter of how E3 has been relevant in the past or not. Vita is in a situation where it needs massive amount of positive things coming. The fact they just had one big game to showcase on it is pretty terrifying.

I'm sure other cool games will be announced in the year, but this sounds like a big "nobody gives a fuck" message for the west. It doesn't kill Vita if Sony has some endurance, but let's say it solidifies insanely its bad image in the world.

Not good...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I do. If Chubigans is around he can vouch for me. I told him about PSO2 several weeks before it was announced. The game i keep hearing about for this month's Games Heaven thing will make GAF very, very happy.
I will indeed vouch for this man. You also called the Motorstorm Vita free w/Scion sponsor too if I remember right?

Tobor

I have a few sources who i can't name as their jobs will be in peril.

There are people here who can back me up though. Someone find Chubigans!

Well, if someone actually made that call, their jobs should definitely be in peril. What a stupid fucking decision.

Jack himself said it at the very beginning - "This is the superbowl of gaming. You're going to analyze and judge everything we say and show." And then he comes right on out for an hour and a half and pretends the Vita doesn't exist. They had to know what message that would send. And if they didn't know what message that would send, they're not very bright.

The Vita doesn't have a bright future as an AAA super popular device. But it also doesn't need to be that. For me, personally, I can live off of sony exclusives and indies/B-level titles from third parties. But most people can't. I believe this is the vita's future. We'll get more God of Wars and LBPs and all of that stuff, and tons of indies. Especially with PS Suite. But also Mutant Blob type games.

Honest question - why would an indie dev make a Vita game over some other platform?

Well, if someone actually made that call, their jobs should definitely be in peril. What a stupid fucking decision.

Nope, these are people who I haven't talked to tonight, but I can safely say they are pissed off this moment because they put everything they have into making the vita a success to have marketing (and this is a new team, E3 was their first big project) fuck them like this.

Imagine working your ass off, 80 hour weeks getting ready for e3, to be sunk before the floor even opens up. Like I said, I haven't talked to them tonight, but I guarantee they are fucking pissed... and probably piss drunk.

Tobor

Nope, these are people who I haven't talked to tonight, but I can safely say they are pissed off this moment because they put everything they have into making the vita a success to have marketing (and this is a new team, E3 was their first big project) fuck them like this.

Imagine working your ass off, 80 hour weeks getting ready for e3, to be sunk before the floor even opens up. Like I said, I haven't talked to them tonight, but I guarantee they are fucking pissed... and probably piss drunk.

That's what I'm saying, whoever made the call should be fired.

Honest question - why would an indie dev make a Vita game over some other platform?

The sales of Mutant Blobs and Escape Plan are considerably higher than typical PS3 PSN releases... with (obviously) a much smaller base. It's also a cheaper system to develop for, and a cheaper system to put a game onto (in terms of licensing fees to sony). Also, it will have all the PS Mobile games... with buttons.

Ponn

Banned
snip lots of stuff

I can actually get behind pretty much everything you said and them making a mistake not showing Vita on stage but on the floor I can see. i can also live with the Vita being a niche device, I certainly did with the PSP as long as Vita continues to get RPG's and possibly become a haven for JRPG's for developers not wanting to move to PS4 or next gen. I just really want to see the Vita succeed if it can and am baffled by how inept Sony is at handling their portables, TWICE!

by the way, is the game at Vita Heaven Gaffers will love, is it Kingdom Hearts? Can you at least say if its a Square Enix game? Hot or cold?

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the conference. Another thing that I thought was funny was seeing AC Vita and I was thinking okay this seems pretty cool, then I see AC3 on PS3 and holy shit it blew my mind like after watching the game, I'm saying to myself fuck the vita AC game, PS3 is the one I want.*

*only AC games I've played were 1 and 2 and I didn't really enjoy them too much.

I can actually get behind pretty much everything you said and them making a mistake not showing Vita on stage but on the floor I can see. i can also live with the Vita being a niche device, I certainly did with the PSP as long as Vita continues to get get RPG's and possibly become a haven for JRPG's for developers not wanting to move to PS4 or next gen. I just really want to see the Vita succeed if it can and am baffled by how inept Sony is at handling their portables, TWICE!

by the way, is the game at Vita Heaven Gaffers will love, is it Kingdom Hearts? Can you at least say if its a Square Enix game? Hot or cold?

Cold.

And I must say my outline up there is mine, not sony's. Sony still believes the Vita can be a huge hit. They are biding time until they can drop price. I just personally don't believe that. In my opinion the Vita isn't even going to sell PSP numbers. But it will do much, much better with software sales as long as it doesn't get hacked wide open.

Again, that's all opinion. Sony doesn't think this. They are still delusional.

That's what I'm saying, whoever made the call should be fired.

Or upper management has decided to go in a different direction.

The sales of Mutant Blobs and Escape Plan are considerably higher than typical PS3 PSN releases... with (obviously) a much smaller base. It's also a cheaper system to develop for, and a cheaper system to put a game onto (in terms of licensing fees to sony). Also, it will have all the PS Mobile games... with buttons.

Thanks, I didn't know these games were selling well.

Onemic

Why in hell are you blaming the 3DS? Blame yourself and your taste instead for not picking up games like RE Revelations, Mutant Mudds, or the incredible Kid Icarus Uprising.

Revelations is a good game, but I don't want to be limited to playing with one analog stick when it greatly hampers your experience. The only game I'd get is Kid Icarus Uprising. That's not a lot to choose from. Mutant Mudds is an E-Shop game I'm guessing?

Tiktaalik

I expected a massive showing titles, similar to the year after the DS was announced when we were all complaining about a lack of games, but were shown tons.

I'm shocked really. I don't know what to think and I'm glad I didn't buy a Vita.

Also, I guess while i'm spilling the beans without spilling the beans (and i really do need to be careful about this shit... i may end up losing friends over this). But Sony *supposedly* realized what a clusterfuck the first games heaven was, which is why this one is going to be a much bigger affair with a big announcement.

The problem with my info though is that it's not coming from japan. And sony is really bad at communicating. So the stuff i've heard may have changed and that new info just never made its way over here. Sometimes my friends are just as shocked by sony-japan announcements as the rest of us. Which seems insane to me... but I guess multinational companies sometimes don't share info.

And I don't mean to completely derail this thread. I do want to say im on the side of the people pissed at sony. I was livid after that press conference. I have a little fan site for the device and I feel like Sony just took a giant shit on my and all early adopter's chests.

Put me in the camp of being stunned they spent 20 minutes on a move demo and hardly anything on Vita. Vita is a good well made device that could use some good PR from the actual manufacture. Its such an improvement over the PSP and can actually now deliver the portable console game vision

If E3 wraps up and there's no games of note on the show floor i'll be discouraged.

Apath

They didn't announce anything? Really? Way to go Sony...

At least I have Assassin's Creed to look forward to, but I have a feeling it'll be gimped in one way or another.

Or upper management has decided to go in a different direction.

Thanks, I didn't know these games were selling well.

The last two months, from what i hear, the games in top 5 on the vita PSN have been selling 50-90k a month. This includes full games that have been near the top, like Unit 13 and MvC. The digital attach rate is multitudes higher than on the PS3. Which makes sense, early adopters are more comfortable with digital sales. But I think it caught them by surprise.

It's also the reason why Guacamelee is PS3/V only. Before Drinkbox released MBA they planned on going multiplatform with Guacamelee. But they made so much money that they and sony quickly signed a deal to get them into the pub fund (which they obviously don't need, but it creates press for the pub fund).

Also, I guess while i'm spilling the beans without spilling the beans (and i really do need to be careful about this shit... i may end up losing friends over this). But Sony *supposedly* realized what a clusterfuck the first games heaven was, which is why this one is going to be a much bigger affair with a big announcement.

The problem with my info though is that it's not coming from japan. And sony is really bad at communicating. So the stuff i've heard may have changed and that new info just never made its way over here. Sometimes my friends are just as shocked by sony-japan announcements as the rest of us. Which seems insane to me... but I guess multinational companies sometimes don't share info.

And I don't mean to completely derail this thread. I do want to say im on the side of the people pissed at sony. I was livid after that press conference. I have a little fan site for the device and I feel like Sony just took a giant shit on my and all early adopter's chests.

I think your insights are interesting. Clearly there are people inside Sony who care about Vita. I'm just not sure they're the decision makers.

olimpia84

I still can't believe what I just saw at Sony's conference. I was expecting a blow out of Vita games and features to 'revive' the system yet it felt like they completely ignored the damn thing. Seriously what in the fuck were they thinking? Also, no price drop announcement? I had a gut feeling that the price was dropping but I guess not. With the way things are going I don't like I'll end up getting a Vita anytime soon =/

It's not a matter of how E3 has been relevant in the past or not. Vita is in a situation where it needs massive amount of positive things coming. The fact they just had one big game to showcase on it is pretty terrifying.

and to that, a game that people are actually going to buy for their home console/PC.

Honestly: who's buying Assassin's Creed on their Vita instead of their home console? Double-dippers are few and far between.

And I have BIG question marks about CoD. I mean...it's a spin-off game. You know what that means: B-team developers. Maybe C-team, considering how small the potential audience for the game is. Why put your good development teams on a game that literally can't sell more than a few hundred thousand copies because of the small user base? And again, double-dippers are few and far between.

I still can't believe what I just saw at Sony's conference. I was expecting a blow out of Vita games and features to 'revive' the system yet it felt like they completely ignored the damn thing. Seriously what in the fuck were they thinking? Also, no price drop announcement? I had a gut feeling that the price was dropping but I guess not. With the way things are going I don't like I'll end up getting a Vita anytime soon =/

Yep, Sony managed to dash all hype I had (and Watch Dogs set it pretty high) for this week at e3. I'm looking forward to Wii-U but the whole reason I was hyped for E3 was more Vita game announcements.

Now I'm wondering if it was even a good idea to buy this thing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
and to that, a game that people are actually going to buy for their home console/PC.

Honestly: who's buying Assassin's Creed on their Vita instead of their home console? Double-dippers are few and far between.

And I have BIG question marks about CoD. I mean...it's a spin-off game. You know what that means: B-team developers. Maybe C-team, considering how small the potential audience for the game is. Why put your good development teams on a game that literally can't sell more than a few hundred thousand copies because of the small user base? And again, double-dippers are few and far between.

If you own a Vita, you will be getting Assassins Creed.... sans terrible reviews.

It is the closest to a AAA game coming out before Christmas. (This and maybe CoD).

I will buy both, but if money is that tight I will go with the Vita version...

WARP10CK

Banned
Well I was planning to buy a vita depending on how the conference went and.... no not worth it.

I expected them to give Vita plenty of attention but this is just ridiculous I mean that's it ?

Give it a year and a price drop and if it's still flatlining in sales then you'll know it's in trouble.

Haven't most recent console/handheld launches gone through similar growing pains post launch?

Yes I realize the lack of announcements at the conference was disheartening. Wait to see what they have on the show floor I guess.

Pretty much.

I'm sorry but that's really fucking stupid given whats currently going on with the device.

And the top tiers went along with it? WAT

If you own a Vita, you will be getting Assassins Creed.... sans terrible reviews.

So you'll be double-dipping? I don't know if I'd assume everyone is on that train, bro. That'll be about $110 worth of Assassin's Creed III. I just...I think people will look at that and say, "I'd rather buy ACIII AND xx instead of 2 copies of ACIII. And you know the copy of ACIII that will get sold is for their console/PC.

So, it's the brain trust at SCEA at it again? Wonderful.

Sony will never make the Vita a success. They just don't have the focus or the smarts to do it. They don't have the ambition or vision. They're just trying to hold on to their jobs.

Krazy Ken was crazy, and went south in the end. But he had drive, ambition, and a goal for every bit of hardware that came out of Sony.

Sony management is basically Sega level at this point. No denying.

PKrockin

Revelations is a good game, but I don't want to be limited to playing with one analog stick when it greatly hampers your experience. The only game I'd get is Kid Icarus Uprising. That's not a lot to choose from. Mutant Mudds is an E-Shop game I'm guessing?

The gyro works really well with Revelations. I played the whole campaign with it and never felt limited by one stick.

I think your insights are interesting. Clearly there are people inside Sony who care about Vita. I'm just not sure they're the decision makers.

The way the situation has been described to me, and this is all second hand knowledge so take it with a grain of salt. But I guess there were a lot of people working within the playstation division that were just complete garbage. Also, Stringer didn't quite understand games, he just knew they made money.

Ever since Kaz was promoted they have been cleaning house. A month before the Vita came out in the states they fired their entire marketing department. Remember before the vita release how there were like zero ads? That's why. They rushed some out but the marketing people are still getting their feet under them. The general feeling is that this new team is great, but this E3 was supposed to be their first huge test and IMO they failed. I mean even taking the vita out of it the tone of the presser was all over the place. That book thing is obviously gonna sell, but it sucked all of the air out of the room. They went into God of War with zero energy after that. It was just a shitty conference.

But it's not just marketing. It's managers and other folks that have been sacked. From what I hear the general working atmosphere in the places that my friends work (which to semi-clarify are 3 distinctly different parts of sony, they don't even know each other) are much better. People feel good about what they are doing. They feel like the shitty bosses and decision makers are on their way out. And they do believe Kaz can turn the company around as a whole.

That said, they still move at the speed of sony. Which is slowwwwwwwwwww. And they still don't have much focus. I've been hearing a ton of rumors on the PS4. It's almost like the PSP all over again. For those that don't remember... the PSP had a great first year in terms of support but sony pretty much forgot it existed because they went tunnel vision on the PS3 which came out the following year. There's a feeling this might happen again. It's one of the reasons why I feel like the device will never be huge... sony doesn't have the focus to make it succeed. But they are a proud company and they will support it. The PSP, IMO, is one of the best "failures" ever. So many good games. More units sold than the PS3 or 360. That's a helluva failure.

Anyway, Im all over the place. But yes, there are people within sony that really care about the Vita. I believe Yoshida really cares about the vita and is trying to make sure focus isn't lost. But sony can't get out of its own way sometimes.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So you'll be double-dipping? I don't know if I'd assume everyone is on that train, bro. That'll be about $110 worth of Assassin's Creed III. I just...I think people will look at that and say, "I'd rather buy ACIII AND xx instead of 2 copies of ACIII. And you know the copy of ACIII that will get sold is for their console/PC.

Well thats the thing, if it was ACIII on Vita I would agree, but it is a completly seperate AC Vita game.

People buy collectors editions for $150.00 fairly regularly.

Why not spend 100 for two completely different games in a franchise you obviously like. Especially when they connect for special features. And especially when one is for a device you already spent 250+ on and is starving for a good game to play on it.

DiscoJer

It's funny though, the press seems to be more positive.

Yahoo has one story, "Sony pumps life into PS Vita, Move controller"

http://news.yahoo.com/sony-pumps-life-ps-vita-move-controller-041933470--finance.html

and then there is a glowing review of its conference on Gamasutra (which reads almost like a Sony PR release)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ook_Sony_understands_appetite_for_newness.php

The company also knew it needed to demonstrate robust Vita support, as the console has struggled to find its place in the market. After 4 months, the Vita has a library of some 40 new games, but fans who have amassed downloadable collections have been wanting to play original PlayStation games on the brand new portable, a wish Sony granted at today's conference, as numerous classic titles are due to hit the handheld in the coming months. In addition, the Vita will also see additions such as Crackle television, Hulu Plus, and a Music Unlimited service (the company recently announced YouTube coming from Vita).

bh7812

Banned
I'm truly honestly not sure what to think at this point. I just didn't wanna jump into all those threads debating vita sales and all of that because I didn't want to look dumb or look silly. Here's one really important thing about any new system launch. Before a launch although we usually have some very vague idea how a system will do, we can never be 100 percent sure how it will do. 6 years ago just before the Wiis launch, we didn't know for sure and i thought it could easily go both ways. What I'm trying to say is it's so hard to predict. In the Vitas case, it's a rare instance where what is envisioned on paper is fully realized. It truly is a portable PS3. My first thought was that Sony really seemed to have their stuff together as far as a vision goes. People requested voice chat/party chat and with vita they listened. The full feature set was there. I figured with that alone it had a good chance out of the gate. They also gave it rock solid protection against hacking I figured that too would help it. My initial thought at launch was within 4 to 6 months we'd have an early inkling on its long term outlook and fate. I'd really wanted it to do very well. Rayman is a 100 percent perfect port of the ps3 version that impresses easily. It was experiences like that where I thought the vita could really do well. Technically, it's an extremely impressive system to be sure. Near is an amazing concept, but lately it's been completely barren where I am :( when I'm in a suburb of Chicago, a major city and near is barren that is definitely concerning. It's a great concept that I truly hope Sony will use in future systems.

So that brings us to tonight...I thought although not a lot of vita games would be shown, I still expected at least one huge reveal and I'd expected it from square. FF Type 0 really needed to show up tonight and it didn't. At any rate I expected at least one really huge game that would wow people and it just wasn't there. Now I can honestly say although not dead, the vitas in deeeeep crap, gravity rush looks phenomenal, I have that pre ordered and hope it helps this situation even if only a little. For sure getting metal gear HD too. Lego batman 2 looks good to me too but want to see if I can wait for a sale on that one. P4 golden is a given too. The thing is, for the vita to have any real chance right now it needs at least 2 to 3 more games with that kind of name recognition.

My longer term guess, at least in the west is all games under development will probably see release but after fall as of right now I'd not expect much past P4 unless a major miracle happens. I hate to say it I really do. I'm highly impressed with this machine and have been really hoping for success, I still hope it turns around but I'm being realistic at this point and I think others should be too.

The 3DS got REALLY damn lucky no question. What Nintendo did with that thing was literally genius. They cut the price after the bleak launch which was great. Then they topped that with the Ambassador program, which I've never seen another game company do ever. Iwata also took a frickin 50 percent cut in pay again also unprecedented. Major major risks that thank Nintendos stars paid off big time. They literally got struck by lightning again just with those few decisions. Those are the kind of risks Sony would have to be willing to take, along with major big time games right now with Vita but it's becoming very clear they don't want to. The reality is, the 3DS has far far too much momentum and traction right now for the vita to really have a fair shot. What's basically happened is the 3DS literally flew toward vita head on with all this momentum-going clear through one end of the vita and out the other-and hasn't stopped to look back. When a company's in that spot I don't know what could possibly be done. Would a price cut work? Without big time mega games coming I doubt it. Maybe bundles that include a game plus memory card MIGHT help. A big might. The proprietary Sony memory cards aren't helping with the general public. Proprietary plus mucho dinero cost will not end well, I understand why they had to do that and I didn't mind paying for it personally-but the average person sure does which is what matters in the end,

Best thing Sony can do now is transition to Playstation Mobile and hope for the best. What was the portable gaming space is now all shifting to mobile phones and iOS which I think will be an even bigger juggernaut next year, at the very least they recognize this and are going that way portable wise. If ya can't beat them join them as they say.

What my suggestion to anyone with a vita thinking of selling would be is this. Look at what is coming this year and decide how much of that interests you and what the Vita is worth to you feature set and all. That will help make the decision and each person needs to decide that on their own.

I really hope this turns around but as of right now I think the general public has voted and that vote is the portable space has only enough room for one portable and they've chosen it, the 3DS. So much potential in the vita, it's sad.

Fuck the price of vita, it has no software

It could drop to $99 tomorrow and still flop with nothing coming out

Yep. No software.

nogames2xc9w7.png

Onemic

The gyro works really well with Revelations. I played the whole campaign with it and never felt limited by one stick.

Doesn't that destroy the 3D effect though? I want both -_-, it's why I never used the feature for Ocarina of time.

I really don't understand the Vita hate when the 3DS had the exact same problem and isn't completely out of their situation just yet. I don't even own a vita.

Top Bottom