• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Giana Kickstarter (Giana Sisters sequel, PC, $150k goal) [Funded]

Durante

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/project-giana/project-giana

I just stumbled across this and it looks amazing, particularly the level morphing effect in tune with the music. Just watch the video.

Developed by Black Forest Games (Formerly Spellbound, makers of Giana Sisters DS).
Music by Chris Hülbseck and Machinae Supremacy. Fuck yeah!

The gameplay already looks plenty smooth, and the graphics look great technically as well as artistically. I really think this project deserves its own thread.

523bb1925a2d20b6b3ffb83e2ebd5221_large.jpg

869f337470b4a8476d8e955cc32315a6_large.jpg

Minimum pledge to get the game is just $10, so get to it GAF.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Finally a Kickstarter I can get behind full heartedly!

Wish they'd stuck to Pikomi's Giana DS artwork a little more than the slight XXXTREEEEME BRATZ 3d influence that appears to be creeping in, but Giana Sisters brah.

Didn't the distributors of the DS game sort of take it to fuck town in the west, even though it did eventually get a crappy iOS port? Definitely the stuff that turns people to crowdfunding.

Edit: Holy shit, game looks AMAZING O____O

eXistor

Cool beans, I enjoyed the DS game quite a bit. Pledged $10,-. Liking the morphing mechanic btw, looks really cool.

OnPoint

^^^

Different sprites for clouds and bushes should have been their defense.

I think I'm going to have to pledge for this.

The pitch basically sounds like Eversion HD with the environment switching and whatnot. Definitely worth looking into later on.

Also, the art designers seem to be making the same flaw that these guys trying to make 2.5D Sonic 2 fan hacks a few years ago were, in that there's a little too much going on in the fore/backgrounds, which is detrimental if the player's sprite is tiny like that. Simplifying it might help in the long run

Danneee

Finally a Kickstarter I can get behind full heartedly!

Wish they'd stuck to Pikomi's Giana DS artwork a little more than the slight XXXTREEEEME BRATZ 3d influence that appears to be creeping in, but Giana Sisters brah.

Didn't the distributors of the DS game sort of take it to fuck town in the west, even though it did eventually get a crappy iOS port? Definitely the stuff that turns people to crowdfunding.

Edit: Holy shit, game looks AMAZING O____O

Whaaaaat, the iOS port is the best platformer on iPhone. Haven't played another platformer with as good virtual d pad.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The pitch basically sounds like Eversion HD with the environment switching and whatnot. Definitely worth looking into later on.

Glad I wasn't the only one that was reminded of Eversion. XD It's not exactly the same, but the whole twisting between levels in a happy version and a darker version reminded me a lot of the game.

Looks very interesting to me, I personally didn't think it looked too busy even though I agree with the Sonic Fan Remix project I thought everything looked too busy. Here I actually had no problems telling what was what or thought it was too distracting from gameplay. Looks cool, hoping they get a lot of support behind it but I honestly think they will. I think the best Kickstarters are for games that have enough to show for themselves to get people interested/excited, which involves a good concept, an interesting pitch, and enough content in place to showcase what's what. This has all of those and I am cautiously excited right now. Will back.

Teppic

Backed. I'm not sure if I like all of it, but it looks good enough. Not a fan of the Machinae Supremacy stuff. I don't think it fits the game.

That`s the one main complaint I have is the character art style. I cant say I am a fan of the new design. It looks a little... freaky. But oh well. The actual in game model of the main character does look better than the accompanying artwork.

As for the game, it does have shades of Trine and Rayman Origins, but that`s to be expected. The Giana Sister were never really a high bastion of originality anyway (ahem). But if it plays well, then that doesn't really mater.

Looks considerably better than the DS game.

I actually enjoyed playing the DS game on iOS. It was a pretty vanilla platformer as far as play mechanics are concerned, but it was a solid game.

Also, it`s interesting that they are going to release some playable levels in August. Great idea that they will give people a chance to try a bit of the game before backing it.

Gazunta

THIS IS THE GREATEST REASON THERE COULD EVER BE FOR KICKSTARTER TO EXIST

WOW this looks amazing. Love it.

BRB re-mortgaging my house I'll fund this game single-handedly if need be.

OK I take it back, PROJECT WIZBALL would be the greatest reason ever, but this is a very close second place

bede-x

There's some nice morphing effects, but overall it looks pretty ugly. Overcomplicated, drab and in some scenes too brown, I think it would do much better with a simpler brighter aesthetic. This being a platform game with Hülsbeck on it, I'll still consider funding it.

EDIT: Almost looks like it's running on the Unreal engine. Yuck.

"Our game will be released on PC, with later releases on XBLA and PSN."

How can XBLA and PSN versions be confirmed when the game's funding is in question and they don't have a publisher?

Aku-Audi

The kickstarter mentions that there will be a XBLA and PSN version eventually too, guess I am double dipping once that happens.

Tempted to upgrade to the physical art book pledge...

Concept17

Pretty nice art direction. Its a little cluttered, but still looks nice.

Really dislike the main character design and name.

Hope they meet their goal.

epmode

Does DRM free mean Steam? And it's a shame the characters are so ugly because the game is beautiful!
Generally, these projects don't have a Steam confirmation at the time so they can't promise Steam keys. ..but I've seen a few projects include Steam keys as soon as they get the go-ahead.

Top Bottom