• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Giana Kickstarter (Giana Sisters sequel, PC, $150k goal) [Funded]

ShadiWulf

Really awesome looking game.

will definitely pledge to it, just need to decide on an amount, i'd like to do $40 and get the digital artbook but that just might be too much at the moment.

TxdoHawk

Dev Diary #2 is up on the backer page, talking about the level creation process. The pleas to spread the word are also going out...hopefully the project picks up steam towards the end, because we aren't doing so hot. :/

ShadiWulf

i made some sigs to help spread awareness of the game if people want to use them, obviously you can't use them here on neogaf, but on other forums...

DlVyv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DlVyv.jpg

sQOJ5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sQOJ5.jpg

Dev Diary #2 is up on the backer page, talking about the level creation process. The pleas to spread the word are also going out...hopefully the project picks up steam towards the end, because we aren't doing so hot. :/

It's sad to see the game funding isn't going well. The game looks so unique and fresh. I don't understand why people aren't throwing money at it.

Katzii

Definitely saddened to see this one not doing so well. The original was a classic, and the DS version was solid. This one's looking pretty sweet.

Lijik

I really wish my funds situation was better so I could help out on this. Loved the DS game, and this new one looks great.

Its a fucking crime the Cheetahman II kickstarter is doing so well and this isn't.

TxdoHawk

Ten days left and we are barely past 50%. I'm plotting to double my contribution, but we need serious wallet power if we are going to even come close. Feels bad, man. :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I really wish my funds situation was better so I could help out on this. Loved the DS game, and this new one looks great.

Its a fucking crime the Cheetahman II kickstarter is doing so well and this isn't.

Kinda pisses me off honestly as this looks like a legitly great platformer. Yet that fucking garbage ass game is getting more support.

Enk

makes good threads.
Not sure why it took me so long to back this but the deed is now done. Kind of disheartening to see this move at such a slow pace when other questionable projects get funded faster. They even have a decent amount of gameplay footage to show for the project and it looks like a great take on the Giana Sisters and a fun traditional sidecrolling platformer at well.

Demo coming tomorrow, new reward tiers added:

Tomorrow’s a big day – we’ll have two Giana levels ready for you to play!

To tide you over till then, we’re introducing new rewards today, with special attention to the lower middle tiers. The best part is that all of those rewards are inclusive. This means that you get all rewards from lower non-exclusive tiers as normal, and if you already have backed at a higher tier, you’ll get the new reward(s) on top for free!

http://project-giana.com/wp-content/gallery/reward-update-23-08-12/all-rewards-4-web.jpg

Crub

I demand someone posting picture from the demo in the High-Res PC Screenshot Thread.

Edit: Did not realize the demo was free for all. Uploaded a few pics myself!

Roman

I visited their studio a few days ago and wrote a report, if anyone's interested. They are a group of genuinely passionate people, who want to make a good game, and have the experience to back it up.

I also played their demo, and really liked it, even if it's very apparent it's still a work in progress. The developers listened to a lot of fan suggestions, too. If they don't reach the goal on Kickstarter they will have to delay it and work for hire, but I really doubt they cancel it outright.

I wonder if the second level in the public demo is the one we got to play, too. It was a lot harder - and I can't wait to see more of the bosses!

Gazunta

Runs like a dream on my PC.

Some quick notes:

The switching is fantastic. What a great mechanic. I think there's going to be a lot of opportunity for smart level design here with lots of different ways to solve problems and finding hidden items. I'm on board.

The camera angle almost seems to hide Giana's face, especially "cute" Giana. Not really sure what can be done about this.

I think the controls could be simplified a bit. It's LT / RT to switch, or you can use either X or Y to switch and perform that character's special attack, depending on which character you are. And then you have both A and B perform the same jump. I think it could work better if it stuck with LT / RT to switch, and just sticking with X to perform the special move, instead of X for Cute and Y for Giana. That's a simple fix.

It looks amazing. It really does. I love the visual style. The world is alive.

I really hope this one makes it over the line.

Edit: Oh maaaan, the last series of jumps on the second level are brutal :)

Spitz

Jumped in after playing the demo looks great, gameplay is good and music from Chris Huelsbeck thats all i need.

-KRS-

I'd help fund a port of the original Giana Sisters to the NES for shits and giggles.

Seriously though this looks pretty neat. I didn't know about the first game until I really got into chip music in the mid 00s and eventually stumbled across Chris Huelsbeck's C64 masterpieces. Bought the DS game the first time I saw it in stores and really liked it. A bit simple gameplay-wise but I loved the aesthetics, music and mood it had. Apparently they made the music for that in Milkytracker, for that authentic Amiga sound experience. If this is even half as good as that it will be worth it.

Unfortunately I can't afford helping them out right now because I'm broke, but I'll definitely get the game when they release it.
Edit: Oh wait there's a demo?! I guess I have to try it now.

BiggNife

$100,000, 75%, 7 days. It's going to happen. (Especially when the pledging goes int overdrive at the end)

Erm, $100,000 out of $150,000 is 66%. They certainly have a chance but no guarantee.

Eager to try the demo when I get home from work. If I like it I'll definitely make a pledge.

Enk

makes good threads.
The demo really deserves a new thread or at least a thread title change. It was quite fun a polished for being something that's still early in the developement. Not many kickstarters would give out an early hands-on demo before the goal is met. I really hope this makes it.

Very impressed with the demo. Wasn´t that impressed with the video, but this was really fun.

Odd though that a sequel to a Mario clone now feels more like a Sonic game. :)

e_i

$113,000! Gogo!

The demo is very cool. I love how the music changes with the change in the world. Nice touch.

Definitely. So far the demo had pretty much no effect on the Kickstarter, which is pretty sad.

Probably because the demo didn't get much exposure. I just heard about it now from this thread.

Downloading now too, BTW. 638MB is a pretty good size. But I am receiving it at about 2MB/s.

OK, I played through the first two levels.

Pretty good so far. The transformation ability works pretty much how you would expect it to work, It changed the abilities of your character along with the game world itself. It also changed the enemies too. You need to swap between both characters to finish the level. Straight forward platforming stuff.

There were a few bugs though that I ran across in level 1. First of all I got stuck in a wall that caused me to restart the game. Also the enemies sometimes randomly spaz out. They have no death animation either :p But eh, it should be expected for a WIP demo.

Level 2 is interesting. I like the idea of the different types of ghosts that appear when you use switch between worlds.

Game runs pretty well on my PC (I am still using integrated intel graphics) m and it works with my Logitech game controller with no set up needed. That is always nice. Graphically, it looks like the Trine series, though not quite a polished. But it still looks decent. There is only one music track apparently present in the demo and it switches between two versions of the same song.

Nice to see a playable demo from a KS project though. It is worth a download.

Enk

makes good threads.
5 days left with $30,000 left to go. Not sure why this is having trouble getting funded. Everything they've shown for it so far has been great.

Gaz! Where is my shining knight who will "fund this game single-handedly if need be"?!

S1kkZ

5 days left with $30,000 left to go. Not sure why this is having trouble getting funded. Everything they've shown for it so far has been great.

Gaz! Where is my shining knight who will "fund this game single-handedly if need be"?!

outside of germany, giana sisters is only known as "that illegal mario brothers clone".
there is just no huge fanbase.

notBald

This game looks very promising. Plopped down $60.

$30k in five days does sound like a lot. Can only hope someone goes for that $10k original ST copy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Despite the stretch in the remaining days, almost every Kickstarter project that gets past 50-60% gets funded.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Its a shame when the stretch goal of 250k to make the "full version" isn't feasible unless a pub does invest, especially when this Kickstarter is offering playable stuff and looks damn good. Such is the market I guess.

Aku-Audi

Did a feature on Dtoid about the game, featuring some new screens and music samples.

Destructoid said:
"For our new Giana game, we really wanted to bring something fresh and new. Doing another clone wasn’t an option for us,” notes Creative Director, Jean-Marc Haessig. The team started by thinking about what made The Great Giana Sisters outstanding and different from the game it was trying to emulate at the time, Super Mario Bros."

We decided to expand Giana’s duality to everything in the game, and to make both facets equal instead of one being the upgrade of the other. Then we experimented with that concept, trying out what different things we could do with the dream twisting, while keeping it true to the original gameplay. This was the point where the Giana prototype drifted dangerously far into puzzle territory at some point, because the world warping lend itself well to that kind of gameplay. But we managed to pull back. Being a platformer is part of Giana’s identity after all … even though she started out as a clone once, we wanted to focus on what made Giana unique.

To be honest, we've been tempted by Nintendo’s new hardware and put some thoughts into a Wii U port. With a handful of core third party titles that are already confirmed for Wii U, the console positioning seem to be in-line with Giana target audience and it would be reasonable for us to release it there. It goes without saying it would be great honor for us to stand shoulder to shoulder with these great Nintendo platformers. Right now we are focusing on the other services however

http://www.destructoid.com/six-reasons-to-support-the-project-giana-kickstarter-233789.phtml

Continue pledging people, it's worth it!

Aku-Audi

It's at $131,547 with 3 days to go. They really need to just get some homeruns each day and release art assets, video updates from the team or anything to get over that final bump. They can absolutely get it done if they just get really aggressive in the homestretch.

Top Bottom