• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Giana Kickstarter (Giana Sisters sequel, PC, $150k goal) [Funded]

Aku-Audi

Because it will not generate a high number of sales.
Also, with Rayman both platforms already have a poor man's Mario. :p

Giana Sisters DS enjoyed good sales in Europe and I think made surprising jump in the US when it was offered at NewEgg for a good price. So it'll sell fine, though it might sell better within certain territories like Germany, Scandinavia and France rather than worldwide.

Anyway, this project needs to hit its goal, they really done a great job getting the gameplay to look unique and fun, and the soundtrack alone warrants a purchase.

Drago

Is the Android version of Giana Sisters the same as the DS version? I have it but I never finished it... loved what I played though.

Really hope this actually happens

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
The new character design is ugg-ly, and the backgrounds do look too busy, but the switching mechanic does look like a lot of fun. I am cautiously optimistic.

So glad to see that Chris Hülsbeck is doing the music.

7Th

Physics and controls look great; definitely more interested in this than in anything related to the floaty NSMB series.

epmode

Why is this KS still only at $30k out of $150k? The game looks amazing, I figured it would have at least met it's goal by now.

Not to hate on Double Fine but they show absolutley nothing and get $4 million?
I did my part!

But let's not hate on Double Fine. A new Tim Schafer adventure game had been my dream project for years. The ~3 million proves I wasn't alone.

Shiggy

HpGvn.gif

I hope that's for the spoiler :p

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Nope, still not feeling this at all.

I see the work behind this, but the result is unappealing. Again, the music doesn't fit, and the fact that it changes so radically when you switch worlds (which you do a lot) is annoying. The visuals are too busy and artistically ugly, and the whole thing feels stiff and devoid of charm. They're trying to give the game its own visual identity, but it's an identity that fails to be interesting.

Now, if anyone wants to argue that it looks like a good platformer by today's standards (which are extremely low apart from a couple of games if you ask me), sure. But that's not saying much.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Uhhhh.... what the fuck? Giana Sisters, both the original and the DS game.... they were both shitty. But this looks fantastic. I don't know what's going on here...

I mean, the characters look fucking stupid, but regardless, the mechanics look really solid. And I'm always happy to see jumping in a 2.5D game that doesn't look like it's horribly floaty.

osoul

Neo Member
I truly hope this will see the light of day and get its well deserved fame. I loved the NDS version despite its flaws, Pikomi's artwork alone lifted it to the classic.

I also hope some of the NDS features, like the bubblegum, soda, ghosts, bazooka bees will be in this game too.

On the darker side, I think this will barely gets the $150.000 goal, and I see no chance to reach $250.000.

bon

Looks like it could be a neat platformer. Not sure why they want to associate it with Giana Sisters.

Raide

Don't really see the need. Nobody really cares about Giana Sisters, so they should have put more effort into making a new ip. It looks massively removed from the original games, so why bother keeping the name?

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'am getting bored of 2.5D platformer and 2D, are they any good 3D platformers coming?

You could count the number of good 3D platformers in existence on your fingers. I wouldn't get your hopes up for a truly original 3D platformer any time soon--not from indies, not from anyone.

Aku-Audi

Don't really see the need. Nobody really cares about Giana Sisters, so they should have put more effort into making a new ip. It looks massively removed from the original games, so why bother keeping the name?

Because the original left a massive legacy across most of Europe and is well beloved by those who experienced it for its time. There's lots of potential by fleshing out the IP still, especially with the music which is one of Hülsbeck's most popular. There's plenty of people that care about Giana Sisters and associate it with good times and good memories.

Raide

Because the original left a massive legacy across most of Europe and is well beloved by those who experienced it for its time. There's lots of potential by fleshing out the IP still, especially with the music which is one of Hülsbeck's most popular. There's plenty of people that care about Giana Sisters and associate it with good times and good memories.

Unless it happens to be a cute 2-d platform game, people won't care about its legacy. I did play the game at school and thought it was hilarious to see someone rip Mario. Trying to pull in those 30-40 somethings to relive their old school memories seems a bit pointless if you show off a 3d platformer. Just my own opinion though!

TxdoHawk

Well, they've got my $10. Looks pretty rad, and it's hard to say no to what looks like a great platformer at that price.

Man, dat soundtrack. <3 Machinae Supremacy.

Edit: Ah, eff it, raised my pledge to $25. I want them to make the full version, and access to the demo + soundtrack is just too tempting.

Fredrik

This looks pretty cool, if only I had a PC I could play it on.
Same here. The game looks absolutely awesome but sadly I'm no PC gamer. I still hope they get funded though. Looks like it has lots of great ideas that could find it's way to other games later on. I like the morphing levels and speed jumps. And the music! <3 Machinae Supremacy is a local band where I live btw. Small world :)

Aku-Audi

They should make an announcement for OUYA.

They already did, check the bottom of the Kickstarter.

Same here. The game looks absolutely awesome but sadly I'm no PC gamer. I still hope they get funded though. Looks like it has lots of great ideas that could find it's way to other games later on. I like the morphing levels and speed jumps. And the music! <3 Machinae Supremacy is a local band where I live btw. Small world :)

They announced the game will also be available for XBLA and PSN eventually.

osoul

Neo Member

Then Europe is full of nobodies.

I think I'm going to pass, the goal post moving is a little worrying (and I don't really see them so much as "stretch goals" in the traditional sense here) and if they're going to eventually release it on PSN/XBLA, I would rather have it on a console. I like what they're showing though.

Haunted

What? Do you really want to tell me that this would be a major seller? You haven't paid attention to sales ages in a while.
Obviously not, I just followed the usual template of angry denial when confronted with sad facts. :p

:(

Katzii

OK I take it back, PROJECT WIZBALL would be the greatest reason ever, but this is a very close second place

I would totally get behind this as well especially since my Amiga won't play the game any more! But definitely will be keeping my eye on this one but would prefer to get it on PSN.

osoul

Neo Member
I wonder if anyone pledge $5000 or $10000 for the project. Those are very unreasonable amounts for the rewards in return. I mean, $5000 only for one Atari copy? Might be a rare game, but not this rare.

ArjanN

I wonder if anyone pledge $5000 or $10000 for the project. Those are very unreasonable amounts for the rewards in return. I mean, $5000 only for one Atari copy? Might be a rare game, but not this rare.

The point of pledging is to support a project. Not to get back a reward of the exact same value of what you donated.

Loving the aesthetics and the gameplay seems interesting, if not hugely exciting (revised my opinion after watching the full level playthrough. I can see the potential for some excellent later stages). Will back this, although I'd rather get the eventual PSN release.

So another Giana Sisters?

CD5Yil.jpg
How much do I have to pledge to get them to change the character art back to this style?

Crub

Not feeling the new video they put up.

The level design lacks direction and the level is way too long. Did not enjoy the music either.

Fredrik

They announced the game will also be available for XBLA and PSN eventually.
Cool! i missed that part, only saw the "For PC." part. It definitely looks like a console game so I'm sure it would do great with the right type of marketing.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Amazing!
Less deserving projects were funded with more money in less time, i don't understand why.

Violet_0

Banned
the Trine comparison is apt, graphically at least it's looking good

oh well, baked for $10

also, that canvas art looks pretty cool (and slightly creepy)

56db89008fd5efd242e7462aa3bec72a_large.jpg

Myriadis

I played the C64 version last year and thought that it was a bad mario clone, with some bad, unfair platforming bits and graphics that don't have any charm. Nice soundtrack, though.

This game looks a lot better, but I second the thought that there's maybe too much going on. Still, I'm still able to see the character clearly so far, so that won't be a problem. Artstyle is nice and the switching mechanic is cool. I just won't be able to play it on my old PC. Did I see some buttons from the 360 on the signs?

Haunted

This game looks a lot better, but I second the thought that there's maybe too much going on. Still, I'm still able to see the character clearly so far, so that won't be a problem. Artstyle is nice and the switching mechanic is cool. I just won't be able to play it on my old PC. Did I see some buttons from the 360 on the signs?
"Our game will be released on PC, with later releases on XBLA and PSN."

Am I the only one that read the thread title as "Project Gianna Michaels Kickstarter" and was highly confused (and slightly aroused) until I re-read it.

Totalriot

I looked at the Kickstarter page and thought it looks strange but OK but then I watched the gameplay video and from the very first second I was sold. That music! Sooo good!

But I agree with the poster who said that the music changes when you switch worlds are annoying.

Paertan

Backed with $60. First thing on kickstarter I back. Game looks great but I just love Mahcinae Supremacy and combining them with Chris Huelsbeck is just fantastic.
22 days to go. Hopefully it will get funded.

Top Bottom