• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Giana Kickstarter (Giana Sisters sequel, PC, $150k goal) [Funded]

@MUWANdo

Banned
I will never, ever understand the love people have for Giana Sisters--the original game, the DS remake, none of it makes sense to me. Is there anything more to it than nostalgia?

I am a million times more interested in this one, purely based on the screenshots in the OP, but still... don't care. Convince me, internet.

I will never, ever understand the love people have for Giana Sisters--the original game, the DS remake, none of it makes sense to me. Is there anything more to it than nostalgia?

If you were a kid in the '80s and couldn't convince your parents to buy you a NES as well as a C64, then it was the greatest thing ever. Unfortunately if you do not fit the above criteria there is zero reason to ever play it as it's just a cynical rip off of one of the genuinely greatest games of all time, and despite exactingly apeing Super Mario Bros (to the extent it of course went to court) still impressively misunderstands what made that game so seminal and fails to be even a fraction of a percentage as enjoyable.

Liking it these days is akin to unironically celebrating the Popstation. What's the point?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Giana Sisters was and still is a fun little platformer. Just because it's a clone, and that it plays differently doesn't mean it automatically suck.

Saying that it's just nostalgia is just being a huge dick.

BTW, I didn't really enjoy Giana Sisters DS much at all. I love the C64 version of Giana Sisters (and to a lesser degree the Amiga version). I think this new game looks brilliant.

Santar

Dunno about this one, the gameplay seems really far removed from the original. It's like they were thinking "we don't dare to copy Mario anymore so what else can we do?".
A Super polished game that still plays quite a bit like the original would be awesome.

Shiggy

Does DRM free mean Steam? And it's a shame the characters are so ugly because the game is beautiful!

DRM-free means DRM-free. Steam is DRM. DRM-free is better as you can install it on an unlimited amount of devices, you are able to use it without an online connection, and you are never asked to install a client or some other crap.

Dunno about this one, the gameplay seems really far removed from the original. It's like they were thinking "we don't dare to copy Mario anymore so what else can we do?".
A Super polished game that still plays quite a bit like the original would be awesome.

they already made that with the ds game (and it was awesome)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wow, the morphing stages are really stunning. I'm going to have to back this one.

...sigh, there goes the food budget for me this week.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
they already made that with the ds game (and it was awesome)

Ironically, I find that this looks more true to the original, despite the twist in gameplay mechanics. I felt that the DS version was way too cheery and childish in style. Too innocent. And I missed the huge ants attacking you at the end of the boss stages that you had to jump past in the originals. The original Giana sisters had both a cute side and a darker more bratty side, as visualized by the 80's rock band hair when you got the "beachball" powerup. This new game is a great continuation of that concept - and that was missing in the DS game.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
DRM-free means DRM-free. Steam is DRM. DRM-free is better as you can install it on an unlimited amount of devices, you are able to use it without an online connection, and you are never asked to install a client or some other crap.

DRM free is nice and all that, but please don't generalize. For me and many other people a Steam key is the far better option...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I find the style vomit-inducing. Too lush yet plasticky. Doesn't make for much clarity in the gameplay, and it gives a fake atmosphere. It's like Trine but worse. It's like Tim Burton gone wrong.

Also, I like Chris Hülsbeck and Machinae Supremacy, but I don't think that what we've heard so far fits the gameplay at all. I know they're remixes of actual Giana Sisters tunes, but they don't fit all the same. I like to rant about Nintendo's lack of ambition with NSMB's style and environment variety (or lack thereof), but when the alternative is this, I'd rather stick to NSMB, no question.

I wonder if it wouldn't be smart for Valve to make its own kickstarter system. It makes so much sense, devs would get tons of visibility, it would be extremely easy for the end user to pay and get their games once it's done. Valve could also offers its help by sharing its Source Engine and their expertise on how they produce and distribute their games. People would love Valve even more. It sounds like a win-win situation to me.

To get back to Giana Project, it looks pretty impressive to me. I liked their DS Giana Game but it was a little bit generic. I'm very surprised to see them comming back with a pretty clever gimmick. That whole world switching thing is pretty unique and looks very interesting gameplay wise.

tci

That looks great! Backed.

Always liked Giana Sisters. Some parts of the original is even better than Super Mario Bros.

So another Giana Sisters?

CD5Yil.jpg

The main character design in the new one looks HORRIBLE, totally atrocious. The pikomi art in this boxart is much nicer.

Xater

Looks really good. I am sure they will reach their goal. There are still lots of Giana fans out there.

Sadly I will not back it because there is no Mac version from the start. When it gets a PSN/XBLA or Mac release later I will obviously buy it.

soqquatto

let's sum up. the first giana sisters was a bad mario clone and people were playing it just because it was mario on a platform that didn't have mario. next came the DS game that was total crap. now a kickstarter to bring that "into the future"? I'll pass.

Sectus

let's sum up. the first giana sisters was a bad mario clone and people were playing it just because it was mario on a platform that didn't have mario. next came the DS game that was total crap. now a kickstarter to bring that "into the future"? I'll pass.

Original game had ridiculously super awesome music and once you got past the first two levels it was more like a Mario-esque game than a clone. DS game was awesome. You are smelly and mean.

I never heard any amounts of complain about the DS version.

Are you sure you played it?

Santar

I found the DS game to be kinda okay. Bright cheery look, but felt kinda mellow to play. Veery easy at least what I played of it. And by gawd that death cry from the owls was horrible. Why they didn't just go with the original sound there is beyond me. It really detracted from the game for me.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
The main character design in the new one looks HORRIBLE, totally atrocious. The pikomi art in this boxart is much nicer.
Oh man, this. :( I would back the hell out of this if it were a 2D game that looked like Pikomi's drawings. Or even the slightly more detailed rendering style used in the other drawings on the kickstarter page.

Wish the developers luck though, they've obviously put a lot of work into this and I hope they make their goal. I'll probably consider buying the game once it's out anyway.

I have to concur though, that the DS'es artstyle was superior to the one of the current game.

But anyway, if the final game is anything like what we see in these trailers, I will buy when released.

Rlan

I'm kind of put off by the extreme European-ness of the art style, particularly with the owl designs, but I guess that's to be expected?

Looks interesting though, kind of like both Sonic (Lock-On Dash) and Knuckles (Gliding). Would have been more interesting if it went even further in the Mario direction with different suits besides Punky "ball shoot".

rjc571

Banned
Giana Sisters DS was pretty subpar, but holy crap, this looks great! They just need to make sure it's not as pathetically easy as the last game.

I enjoyed the DS one, I love Machine Supremacy's music, and the game looks freaken amazing. If money was abit more loose atm I'd chip more in but they easily have my 25 bucks in for this one.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ugh, first exciting update is a stretch goal beyond to 300,000 for an Ouya port. Snake oil sure is in hot demand this season. Just focus on making the best game you can, not dumbass 'new console initiatives'. Totally not the kinda crap I want to read for a first update.

Who are all these nutcases asking for Ouya ports before XBLA/PSN/consoles they already own?

I'm kind of put off by the extreme European-ness of the art style, particularly with the owl designs, but I guess that's to be expected?

I find it refreshing in a way.

After the Amiga and ST vanished in the middle 90ies, this art style was almost nowhere to be found anymore in games.

The (home computer)-16-bitters died, which were pretty eurocentric, and after that it was consoles, and devs were mostly from Japan and America.

Ugh, first exciting update is a stretch goal beyond to 300,000 for an Ouya port. Snake oil sure is in hot demand this season. Just focus on making the best game you can, not dumbass 'new console initiatives'. Totally not the kinda crap I want to read for a first update.

Who are all these nutcases asking for Ouya ports before XBLA/PSN/consoles they already own?

Yeah, I don't really get it.

I could see them making a multiplayer Wii U version with that morphing mechanic where one screen is in the mind (viewpoint) of one character and the other screen is another viewpoint. One player sees the world one way and reacts accordingly whih affects the other player in the other viewpoint.

I was going to bitch and moan that it doesn't have the artstyle of the DS game and is 3D, but this is good enough.

Well, even though NDS' version was good from aesthetic point of view, it was pretty boring as well. So I'll go for cute 3D + fun gameplay, rather than for a game trying to be too close to original. But who am I kidding, I've pledged game for Machinae Supremacy soundtrack alone.

You'd think with a gameplay video like that they'd easily find a publisher without kickstarter. Looks grade A. Very well designed platforming.

Frankly, I have no idea why Sony or MS haven't bought their exclusivity already. Game definitely looks as fun, solid and interesting platformer.

Why is this KS still only at $30k out of $150k? The game looks amazing, I figured it would have at least met it's goal by now.

Not to hate on Double Fine but they show absolutley nothing and get $4 million?

Shiggy

Frankly, I have no idea why Sony or MS haven't bought their exclusivity already. Game definitely looks as fun, solid and interesting platformer.

Because it will not generate a high number of sales.
Also, with Rayman both platforms already have a poor man's Mario. :p

Top Bottom