• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Posters Around Columbia - Mattress Rape Protester A "Pretty Little Liar"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found her name but didn't find anything anything specific about the case:

http://gothamist.com/2015/05/20/columbia_rape_protest_posters.php

Early this morning, an anonymous person or persons put up posters around Columbia University—in the 116th Street subway station, outside of Tom's Restaurant, on stoplights and construction walls—emblazoned with the image of student Emma Sulkowicz and her now-iconic mattress. Since September 2014, Sulkowicz has been dragging the mattress around campus as a protest against the school's handling of her rape allegations against another student. (That student, Paul Nungesser, has since sued the university.) This morning's posters accuse Sulkowicz of making it all up, dismissing her as "Pretty Little Liar" with the caption "Emma Sulkowitz" [sic] and "RapeHoax."

Today's stunt coincides with Columbia's commencement ceremony, and follows on the heels of yesterday's College Class Day ceremony, during which Sulkowicz carried her dorm room mattress across the stage. The NY Times reports that President Lee C. Bollinger refused to shake her hand when she passed, as he had done with all the other students—including Nungesser, who crossed the stage minutes before her.

This afternoon, the person or persons behind the posters told am New York via Twitter, "We want to educate people about fake rape claims & how damaging they are. From UVA to Columbia to UMiami, due process matters."

Valhelm

contribute something
Whatever happened with the lawsuit?

The school says he didn't do it, probably believing him because the alleged victim was still involved and actively interested with him after it happened. That doesn't mean it was necessarily consensual, though.

My guess is that Sulkowicz is not lying, and that the perpetrator certainly didn't intend to rape her. I highly doubt that he went to sleep that night thinking "I am now a rapist", and it seems that Sulkowicz did not considered her a victim until afterward.

Regardless, this current campaign is gross against Sulkowicz is gross.

Fuchsdh

This is why issues like this need to be dealt with via the legal process and not in the court of public outrage or the media.

I agree, but I think it's unlikely to happen. Campus rape activists will never push for that, because of the (understandable) feeling that this will just mean less rapists get punished as it requires people to go to the police, which many are reluctant to do, and the very nature of how rape cases are often just he said/she said. They want to keep it as a Title IX issue because they want to kick out alleged rapists on lower thresholds than the criminal system, and probably because it's far easier to hold college's feet to the fire about these sorts of things.

Pretty nasty for people to use the same tactics that they're criticizing the activists for, though (they were putting the alleged rapist's name in bathrooms around campus and such.)

iamblades

I agree, but I think it's unlikely to happen. Campus rape activists will never push for that, because of the (understandable) feeling that this will just mean less rapists get punished as it requires people to go to the police, which many are reluctant to do, and the very nature of how rape cases are often just he said/she said. They want to keep it as a Title IX issue because they want to kick out alleged rapists on lower thresholds than the criminal system, and probably because it's far easier to hold college's feet to the fire about these sorts of things.

Pretty nasty for people to use the same tactics that they're criticizing the activists for, though (they were putting the alleged rapist's name in bathrooms around campus and such.)

Then those campus rape activists need to be called out on their bullshit.

There is a reason we have things like due process and burden of proof and innocent until proven guilty. We decided as a society long ago that it was better for some guilty people to go free than for innocents to be punished. You can't just roll that shit back because of the level of the accusation. Rape, murder, shoplifting, the rights are and should be the same.

These college campus kangaroo courts need to be banned ASAP(eventually the lawsuits from the falsely accused will stack up to the point it becomes unworkable, but there is no reason not to just ban them completely anyway).

norm9

I have no idea how you read this thing and don't leave raging. He gets cleared 3 times, even with Columbia excluding evidence in his favor, and yet his education and possibly career are irrevocably fucked due to them folding for PR reasons.

Yikes.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
This is why issues like this need to be dealt with via the legal process and not in the court of public outrage or the media.

I'm pretty sure that I don't want the administrators who think the ncaa is a good, upstanding and moral idea being in charge of anything that's a criminal manner. This push to make colleges deal with things is responsibility shifting and trying to avoid having to fix the actual issue at hand (that rape is handled poorly by the justice system). They're giving it to one of the places exponentially more incompetent, immoral, and flat out uncaring - the NCAA.

pigeon

Banned
Then those campus rape activists need to be called out on their bullshit.

There is a reason we have things like due process and burden of proof and innocent until proven guilty. We decided as a society long ago that it was better for some guilty people to go free than for innocents to be punished. You can't just roll that shit back because of the level of the accusation. Rape, murder, shoplifting, the rights are and should be the same.

Then your strategy should be to improve the horrifically poor record our justice system has with regards to investigating and prosecuting rape.

It should be pretty obvious that secondary courts like these (and indeed art projects and media firestorms) are a result of people believing that the justice system will not serve them when it comes to sexual assault. (Even if you think she's lying, if there wasn't a history of failure on the part of the justice system, there wouldn't be a cause to latch onto here.) If you can't get through the door, you try the window.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Then your strategy should be to improve the horrifically poor record our justice system has with regards to investigating and prosecuting rape.

It should be pretty obvious that secondary courts like these (and indeed art projects and media firestorms) are a result of people believing that the justice system will not serve them when it comes to sexual assault. (Even if you think she's lying, if there wasn't a history of failure on the part of the justice system, there wouldn't be a cause to latch onto here.) If you can't get through the door, you try the window.

So if you got accused of rape, and the court ruled you not guilty. Would you think it is fair for the others side to start a viral campaign ruining your reputation?

Would you be okay that your co worker and relatives start treating you as unpunished rapist just because a bunch of people think our justice/investigation system isn't "100% fool-proof"?

Let's just make social media our court, whoever got the most up vote wins the suit.

Somnid

What a shit-show this has become. There is no reason this should have been a university issue and hopefully universities will just push these issues over to the police where it belongs.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So if you got accused of rape, and the court ruled you not guilty. Would you think it is fair for the others side to start a viral campaign ruining your reputation?

Would you be okay that your co worker and relatives start treating you as unpunished rapist just because a bunch of people think our justice/investigation system isn't "100% fool-proof"?

Let's just make social media our court, whoever got the most up vote wins the suit.

The system isn't just "not 100% fool proof" but actively broken. The current problem with public rape accusations might become less of an issue if private rape accusations ever went anywhere

entremet

What a shit-show this has become. There is no reason this should have been a university issue and hopefully universities will just push these issues over to the police where it belongs.

The issue is that Title IX requires the university to do something.

Personally, I think it's very flawed. These are not trained law enforcement personnel, and the lack of due process is flawed.

Originally, the reason for involving the university was because police departments didn't take college rape seriously.

There were deep biases of "Well they were drunk" "Boys are gonna be boys" etc.

However, universities have proved to be absolutely incompetent in these matters as well.

Calamari41

41 > 38
If one side of a "he said/she said" is celebrated for using viral marketing to make themselves heard, shouldn't the other side be able to use similar methods?

Exactly why this method of "justice" is so perverse.

remist

Seeing as they think even the universities current kangaroo court system already has too much due process, its all the more important that we "call them out on their bullshit" so they don't poison the well for actual productive judicial reforms.

Reading that report, the university, Sulkowitz and campus activist behavior is disgusting. This is not one to be held up as an example.

Somnid

The issue is that Title IX requires the university to do something.

Personally, I think it's very flawed. These are not trained law enforcement personnel, and the lack of due process is flawed.

Originally, the reason for involving the university was because police departments didn't take college rape seriously.

However, universities have proved to be absolutely incompetent in these matters as well.

The university should defer any judgement dependent on the outcome of a court case. It's frustrating because universities are not equipped to deal with this and furthermore have no oversight of fairness. Basically, if that was the reasoning it's a failed experiment and there's no point continuing.

Kimawolf

Yeah this is nuts. This dudes life is ruined now and people are saying what's happening to her is gross? She is still allowed to go on TV saying he raped her, he should sue her too. If I'm not found to have done anything after 3 investigations you better damn well fix my life.

Jarmel

Banned
Can't blame the university response when she's doing shit like dragging her mattress across stage at graduation.

He's been cleared three separate times.

I still don't understand why universities are adjudicating these things at all. Universities should wash their hands of this responsibility and let the police deal with these felonies.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah this is nuts. This dudes life is ruined now and people are saying what's happening tobhet is gross? She is still allowed to go on TV saying he raped her, he should sue her too. If I'm not found to have done anything after 3 investigations you better damn well fix my life.

At some point I'm imagining he has a good argument to sue her for slander.

pigeon

Banned

That would depend on whether I did it or not.

Frankly, if his coworkers and relatives, the people who know him the best, think the claim is plausible enough to shun him, then I think that's evidence in itself.

Dude Abides

Banned
I still don't understand why universities are adjudicating these things at all. Universities should wash their hands of this responsibility and let the police deal with these felonies.

Why shouldn't universities deal with allegations of violations of their code of conduct?

Barrage

Frankly, if his coworkers and relatives, the people who know him the best, think the claim is plausible enough to shun him, then I think that's evidence in itself.

That kind of rationale is how a lot of innocent people have had their lives destroyed.

Jenov

Ew. No.

And after reading the full legal brief, he should pursue slander against her as well.

What the fuck this is as bad as straight up ignoring rape.

I don't know, let's ask OJ Simpson or Casey Anthony about this.

Tagyhag

That's a scary ass thought, I hope the majority of rational people don't think like this.

Bladenic

She brought this upon herself. Not gonna say she deserves this, but her actions caused it.

The president not shaking her hand, that one must sting a bit. And I think he should've just shaken her hand, but his choice.

Brakke

Banned
She's probably pretty jacked by now, good core workout. Maybe fucked up her back though? Mattresses pretty unwieldy, she's probably lifted with bad form a lot.

That's a scary ass thought, I hope the majority of rational people don't think like this.

You'd be surprised by how many people fully invested in the outrage culture think this way. False rape allegations immensely harm both real rape accusers and the innocent.

Apparently the fact that he's been investigated and cleared several times is not evidence to some people.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

That is not good.

Jarmel

Banned
Apparently the fact that he's been investigated and cleared several times is not evidence to some people.

I think there's something to be said about the investigations potentially being flawed, at least in her eyes, but she should be taking that up in a courtroom or some other appropriate approach. Not doing things like dragging your mattress on stage on graduation which certainly don't help her get justice.

You'd be surprised by how many people fully invested in the outrage culture think this way. False rape allegations immensely harm both real rape accusers and the innocent.

What's actually hurting rape victims is "anti-pc" people acting like there's an epidemic of false rape allegations. I mean, if I believed Reddit, I'd think every other woman was planning on sleeping with me, then crying rape.

I think there's something to be said about the investigations potentially being flawed, at least in her eyes, but she should be taking that up in a courtroom or some other appropriate approach. Not doing things like dragging your mattress on stage on graduation which certainly don't help her get justice.

If you believe justice is never going to come for you, the only thing you can do is speak out for others. Real change has never come from people being quiet and doing the 'appropriate' thing.

Not

Banned
She brought this upon herself. Not gonna say she deserves this, but her actions caused it.

You just did.

No woman deserves any of this. In fact, why not take the word "deserves" out of your Goddamn vocabulary in this and all similar scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom