• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Editorial: 3DS vs. PS Vita - Will History Repeat Itself?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
beast786 said:
I believe as long as you do not have to concentrate on the pop out it is ok. For example derbies falling toward you or someone shooting ie bullets toward you.

I am almost a 100% 3D gamer now. It is just adds so much. Once you go proper 3D, it is hard to go back.

Especially with nVIDIA play.

Pilotwings do have pop out. The problem with pop out are:

- The borders: The effect will break if the pop-out object is close to the borders.

- What Yoschi said. It is nice to look at with doddles you unlock, but if the pop out effect can make the charter model hard to look at.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
King Cobra said:
Yep, and that is why the 3DS is breaking records right?

There is no Mario game available at retail for the 3DS.

Truth101

Banned
King Cobra said:
This is what Nintendo fanboys really believe.

Do you have any other console's other then ones made by Nintendo. Because it might explain why you think that there are 3DS games comparable to RE5.

just a little something http://segmentnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Metal-Gear-Solid-3-vs-3DS.jpg

the 3DS is comparable with the PSP, and that is it. Anything else you and you are only lying to yourself.I have a couple titles, but none of them have this pop out effect.

I walk into the thread and see this, I'd love to have the same PSP as you.

I really can't believe people are still arguing that the 3DS can only output graphics at a PSP level.

gimmmick

What ever can be said about past history, the bottom at the end of the day is the ps vita seems to be the better deal in the end when you look it at a consumer electronic device.

Meier

Ushojax said:
Of course the Vita is more powerful than the 3DS, but the masses don't give a shit about that just like they didn't give a shit with the original PSP. The masses want software, and Nintendo has a release slate of titles with a vastly more established audience on portable platforms than Sony does. I just don't see why non-enthusiast gamers would plump for a game like Uncharted over Mario Kart.
They won't. They don't at home (Uncharted remains a relatively modest selling series in comparison to its contemporaries) and they won't on the road. The PSV will be successful again but in the end, it's going to be the 3DS who wins out.

StevieP

Banned
Yoschi said:
wow, mgs3 never looked so sharp on my ps2 :(

It's because they're using the magic PS2 that can do 8xAA. There are very few of these out in the wild because most of them were used to render Toy Story and power Saddam's many nukes.

Lesiroth

Dr_Peace said:
WROOOOOOOONG.

Wow I missed out ONE game in Gravity :p , I am so very sorry.

Maybe YOU like playing the same damn games ALL the time, but I don't. I appreciate specialization, innovation, differentiation and console libraries with PERSONALITY.

I'm not going to buy Ocarina of Time 3D or Starfox 3D, I have them already. I want the games that make my handheld WORTH owning, not stuff that makes me sad I didn't buy the HD version instead.

Why the hell would I buy Wipeout on the Vita? Why is it worth it?

Nintendogs might be samey but it's a proper sequel to a proper handheld game. It's not relevant to the argument because you can't buy it on home consoles in case you didn't notice.

The PSP sold what it did because of crazy hacking, but ALSO because Square Enix made EXCLUSIVE games that the Japanese just lapped up. It's a sad day when you need to learn from SE of all people...

Sony don't seem to understand this concept, and THAT is why they will fail. Nintendo do understand this, and you'll rarely see them cannibalize their handheld games.

I find it RIDICULOUS people are fine with the handheld market just melting away like that, turning into a worthless supplement as opposed to a real alternative.

I understand PERFECTLY WELL, and what I'm saying is it's irrelevant.

Would RE: Revelations benefit from being on a big screen and having graphics that match RE5? Of course it would and I never said otherwise. Of course then it would LOSE all the advantages the 3DS offers it.

It would lose the 3D. Lose the touch-screen and all the benefits such as specific puzzles (which use the touch screen as we've seen), the aiming and inventory management.

Greater blacks with the OLED screen? I'm sure the 3DS can handle the colour black well enough :p . Once again 3D makes a much bigger difference for the average consumer.

With Uncharted Vita, WHAT is the tradeoff? What are you getting in return for it being on a handheld? The answer is nothing. Camera minigame? Automatic platforming? This is not what I call making a game better.

Yes, the developers of Uncharted Vita may have said many things, but what they showed was unremarkable and 'more exploration' could just be ported to the PS3 with nothing in particular lost and more gained.

LBP does have the controls, but it only really improves the build mode slightly (taking pictures and modifying them, sticking them in) and not much else. Is that REALLY a great deal more value, enough to justify the cost?

What I'm saying about Peace Walker is that clearly, they lost nothing in the transition to the PS3, so it wasn't much of a handheld game in the first place.

The 3DS has sold plenty, and it's had practically nothing seriously worth buying yet. Ocarina of Time 3D is sitting at the top of the charts (for Amazon at least).

Also I haven't seen much in the way of confirmation that the the 2D mode actually has anti-aliasing, it could just be a side effect of the 3D that the game looks overly sharp. We are still talking about N64 assets here.

I don't think matters in the case of Revelations anyway, Ocarina of Time 3D is a reworked N64 game and Revelations is on a whole different level when it comes to sheer graphical fidelity.
Since I'm now firmly convinced you're a Nintendo viral marketer, I'll just remind you not to forget your ™ and ®.

Truth101

Banned
gimmmick said:
What ever can be said about past history, the bottom at the end of the day is the ps vita seems to be the better deal in the end when you look it at a consumer electronic device.

To us the educated gamer of course the Vita is an incredible deal for the tech inside of it, but everday people don't think or look at stuff that way. But, when you look at an everday consumer, they aren't really informed on specs.

Taking my 10'ish year old cousins, they love playing CoD games on the 360, but to them playing CoD on their DS and 360 is no different. They have just as much fun on the DS version as the 360 version, and my Uncle buys them games/sytems off of that fact.

This isn't something that is going to change just because the Vita is out.

Coolwhip

Banned
Fantastical said:
And guess what....
There were no games.

We will see if the sales pick up when there are (I don't think so at this pricepoint). I never said it's not about the games though.

Kaijima said:
Those emulators largely make those games look better by rendering them at super high resolutions with AA and suchlike. They don't change the geometry, textures, engine, or fundamental visual design.

I'd say that MGS3D runs comparably to the PS2 version in part because the clock of the processors is in the same neighborhood. In terms of how it looks tho, it's just a straight port without the benefits of extra AA or running it on a PC monitor to make it look better than it actually was.

Based on what I've seen so far, the main thing the 3DS has that freshens up the visuals compared to the PSP is more advanced shaders (which shouldn't be discounted). A lot will be done with those in time. They're what is helping the Resident Evil games on the 3DS look so nice. It's funny to look back now and remember how people absolutely refused to believe the RE footage from the 3DS reveal was real time or could be possible on the 3DS.

Edit: should have noted that where 3DS games will probably eclipse anyone on PSP eventually is in the 3DS having far more ram to work with than the PSP. That heavily restrained design elements of PSP games - not just in terms of graphics, but level design, loading schemes, etc.

I don't think anybody is really saying the 3DS is almost as powerful as the Vita. Some people are arguing that the 3DS is actually quite impressive on its own merits no matter how people try to spin it.

Honestly, I wonder how much of these arguments are purely perceptual in nature? If the Vita had rolled out at $350 instead of Sony pulling their brilliant (at least until accounting calls) sucker punch, would people in general (not just counting GAF) be trying so hard to justify that the 3DS has turned into a piece of crap overnight?
well, it's another case of reality vs possibility.

the Xbox 1.5 was going to be destroyed by the PS3 when it came out. next gen doesn't start until sony says so!
the DS was going to be destroyed by the PSP. when people see those graphics and sexy curves no one will want to be seen dead with a DS.
i wasn't around these parts when the PSX had come out, and the N64 wasn't, but i imagine it was very similar.

now, i don't think the Vita is going to get its hide tanned by the 3DS, whoever ends up coming on top between the two, but i'm just alluding to the same periods in those consoles life time.

when you compare a console that's out, that has had it's flaws exposed in peoples hands, that has the typical post launch software issues, to something which isn't out yet... the thing that's already out is never going to compare as well as it will once BOTH consoles are out.

i'm sure that once the Vita is out, even if most people still prefer the PS Vita, that people won't be quite as hyperbolic about it. that's a bit of history i'm pretty sure will repeat.

elsk

Banned
Taking my 10'ish year old cousins, they love playing CoD games on the 360, but to them playing CoD on their DS and 360 is no different. They have just as much fun on the DS version as the 360 version, and my Uncle buys them games/sytems off of that fact.

A 10-year old can tell the difference between CoD 360 and CoD DS. And specially they know when the games aren't fun to play (bad ports, for example).

Meier said:
8 pages already, I'm sure someone has mentioned this.. but this sentence is absolutely assinine.

How? It's a PSP with a touch screen which really is nothing new in this day and age. I'm not saying that's the extent of its bells and whistles (it's not), but that's the general extent of it. Nothing about the PSV is disruptive while on the other hand, Glasses-less 3D is basically an industry first.

Glassesless 3D is an industry first for handheld gaming but... for the vita it's not only just a touch screen, it is an oled multi touch screen (if you are going to be pedantic it is a gaming industry first) and a rear touch trackpad (also a gaming industry first), forward facing and rear facing cameras, gps, six axis, built in 3g (an gaming industry first), dual analog (another gaming industry first) and that is not even getting to the software such as the cloud saving feature displayed for ruin and transferring. You are not the first person to do that but it is silly to just try to it "one" vita feature vs one 3DS feature when the author of the article in question is alking about ALL the available features of vita.

As far as the power comparison to the PSP. The 3DS is more powerful than the PSP. The PSP could run direct PS2 ports simply because lack of ram. Even if the 3DS is the same processer wise (I doubt it) it still has the edge ram wise. It also has a slightly more powerful GPU.

EDIT: While on the run for finding out info

Kaijima said:
Those emulators largely make those games look better by rendering them at super high resolutions with AA and suchlike. They don't change the geometry, textures, engine, or fundamental visual design.

I'd say that MGS3D runs comparably to the PS2 version in part because the clock of the processors is in the same neighborhood. In terms of how it looks tho, it's just a straight port without the benefits of extra AA or running it on a PC monitor to make it look better than it actually was.

Honestly, I wonder how much of these arguments are purely perceptual in nature? If the Vita had rolled out at $350 instead of Sony pulling their brilliant (at least until accounting calls) sucker punch, would people in general (not just counting GAF) be trying so hard to justify that the 3DS has turned into a piece of crap overnight?

Any of screen shot comparison would look better on a standard def television. While there may be fancier shaders on the handheld, turning on the 3D effect turns out to be 400 × 240 per eye. I don't think it would matter on a handheld (people should be comparing them anyways) BUT comparing screen to screen will most likely always make the 3DS version look worse resolution wise. No emulation necessary.

Truth101 said:
I walk into the thread and see this, I'd love to have the same PSP as you.

I really can't believe people are still arguing that the 3DS can only output graphics at a PSP level.
I never said the PSP was more powerful, I said it was comparable. As in they are pretty much in the same ball park, the vita is in a totally different sport.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
King Cobra said:
So what about all those emulators on PC that make tons of games look better than the original. Have you ever seen super mario galaxy run on a PC? And how it was mentioned that PSP games will run better on the vita.
MGS Snake Eater 3D did look better than it does currently at last year's E3. It seems Knomai decided not to put a lot of effort into the game after all.

I don't think Snake Eater 3D is indicative of the 3DS's power. RE:R looks a lot better, anyways.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
King Cobra said:
I never said the PSP was more powerful, I said it was comparable. As in they are pretty much in the same ball park, the vita is in a totally different sport.
The difference (ratio) of RAM between the 3DS and PSP is the same between the PSP (3000) and the DSi.

I can't believe that this needs to be said again especially in a handheld thread but the technical capabilities of either system means less than nothing in releation to which system will do better in the marketplace. The only deciding factor, as has always been, is software. It's why the DS "beat" the PSP, it's why the Wii was wildly successful until recently and it's why every system that has ever won came out on top.

Conversely, it's also why the 3DS is struggling up to this point - it has very little that the average person wants to play or can't play better somewhere else and for less and the same will be true for Vita at launch if Sony isn't careful.

theBishop

Banned
Jinfash said:
Because they already did, only on the wrong platform, ie: PSN.

Yep. And we've already seen several games on Vita which demonstrate this. Sound Shapes and Super Stardust being exhibits A and B.

FoneBone

Grampa Simpson said:
Anyone who wants to have fun should turn this one into a thread:

http://kotaku.com/5813712/nintendo-believes-the-3ds-two-big-problems-have-been-fixed
"We're going to be launching Ocarina." He began slowly smacking the back of one of his hand into the palm of the other. "We're going to follow with a steady drumbeat of Star Fox and Kid Icarus and two Mario titles and the Luigi title."
That'd work better if Starfox were launching before September...

Dr_Peace said:
WROOOOOOOONG.

Wow I missed out ONE game in Gravity :p , I am so very sorry.

Maybe YOU like playing the same damn games ALL the time, but I don't. I appreciate specialization, innovation, differentiation and console libraries with PERSONALITY.

I'm not going to buy Ocarina of Time 3D or Starfox 3D, I have them already. I want the games that make my handheld WORTH owning, not stuff that makes me sad I didn't buy the HD version instead.

Why the hell would I buy Wipeout on the Vita? Why is it worth it?

Nintendogs might be samey but it's a proper sequel to a proper handheld game. It's not relevant to the argument because you can't buy it on home consoles in case you didn't notice.

The PSP sold what it did because of crazy hacking, but ALSO because Square Enix made EXCLUSIVE games that the Japanese just lapped up. It's a sad day when you need to learn from SE of all people...

Sony don't seem to understand this concept, and THAT is why they will fail. Nintendo do understand this, and you'll rarely see them cannibalize their handheld games.

I find it RIDICULOUS people are fine with the handheld market just melting away like that, turning into a worthless supplement as opposed to a real alternative.

I understand PERFECTLY WELL, and what I'm saying is it's irrelevant.

Would RE: Revelations benefit from being on a big screen and having graphics that match RE5? Of course it would and I never said otherwise. Of course then it would LOSE all the advantages the 3DS offers it.

It would lose the 3D. Lose the touch-screen and all the benefits such as specific puzzles (which use the touch screen as we've seen), the aiming and inventory management.

Greater blacks with the OLED screen? I'm sure the 3DS can handle the colour black well enough :p . Once again 3D makes a much bigger difference for the average consumer.

With Uncharted Vita, WHAT is the tradeoff? What are you getting in return for it being on a handheld? The answer is nothing. Camera minigame? Automatic platforming? This is not what I call making a game better.

Yes, the developers of Uncharted Vita may have said many things, but what they showed was unremarkable and 'more exploration' could just be ported to the PS3 with nothing in particular lost and more gained.

LBP does have the controls, but it only really improves the build mode slightly (taking pictures and modifying them, sticking them in) and not much else. Is that REALLY a great deal more value, enough to justify the cost?

What I'm saying about Peace Walker is that clearly, they lost nothing in the transition to the PS3, so it wasn't much of a handheld game in the first place.

The 3DS has sold plenty, and it's had practically nothing seriously worth buying yet. Ocarina of Time 3D is sitting at the top of the charts (for Amazon at least).

Also I haven't seen much in the way of confirmation that the the 2D mode actually has anti-aliasing, it could just be a side effect of the 3D that the game looks overly sharp. We are still talking about N64 assets here.

I don't think matters in the case of Revelations anyway, Ocarina of Time 3D is a reworked N64 game and Revelations is on a whole different level when it comes to sheer graphical fidelity.
Oh, now it's clear. How wrong I was to offer a thoughtful and informed response earlier when I could've just done this:

Stfu_teller.gif

Dr_Peace

Banned
Skilletor said:
You're ignorant and I'm going to stop talking to you now.

I believe this is you not being able to prove your case :p .

You seem to think every game will use anti-aliasing because ACCORDING TO YOU Ocarina of Time 3D has it.

You fail to realise that...

1. It's an old game reworked, it's not pushing the hardware at all. If the effect is there and can just turn on immediately (which I've never seen a screen rendering effect do in all my time as a PC gamer) then it doesn't mean other games will do the same.

2. Every developer is not Nintendo. The Wii can use sub pixel point anti-aliasing just like the Gamecube could, why don't they use it then?

King Cobra said:
You are trying to hard man.

What on earth does that mean?

I'm trying too hard? You're the one convinced that the 3DS is nothing more than a squashed PS2, when we have games that look comparable to freaking RE5 :p . You are ignoring your own eyes.

Show me a PS2/PSP game that is using the MT Framework engine?

Go on.

Lesiroth said:
Since I'm now firmly convinced you're a Nintendo viral marketer, I'll just remind you not to forget your ™ and ®.

That's not a very compelling argument.

What can I say? I love Nintendo. I love handhelds. Given the way Sony have performed there is no reason for me to believe they GET handhelds yet because the PSP (aside from a tiny catalogue made up mainly of Square Enix stuff) was a complete disaster.

Truth101

Banned
King Cobra said:

No, that isn't what you said and I quote, "the 3DS is comparable with the PSP, and that is it."

For the 3DS to be only comparable to the PSP, then anything that looks better than the PSP can't be compared to the 3DS. Therefore you are saying the 3DS can't compare to anything that looks better than the PSP.

Why are you people discussing power? Havent the last generation of Nintendo console/handhelds taught you people nothing? Its all about the games. Mario has a weight Uncharted can only dream of. Thats just the truth. That doesnt mean one will fail. We have to measure success differently in this changing smartphone market

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
King Cobra said:
I imagine the difference in ram between the Vita and 3DS to be a lot greater.
If we take the latest rumor (256+128). No, it isn't. If we take the old rumor (512+128) is a bit higher.

theBishop

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Why are you people discussing power? Havent the last generation of Nintendo console/handhelds taught you people nothing? Its all about the games. Mario has a weight Uncharted can only dream of. Thats just the truth. That doesnt mean one will fail. We have to measure success differently in this changing smartphone market

The last generation taught me that a platform needs 3rd party support, new franchises, a strong online infrastructure, and a wide variety of audiences (E for Everybody -> M for Mature) to be worthwhile.

theBishop said:
The last generation taught me that a platform needs 3rd party support, new franchises, a strong online infrastructure, and a wide variety of audiences (E for Everybody -> M for Mature) to be worthwhile.

To you. I was just talking general success in the marketplace.

theBishop said:
Worthwhile? Is that the same thing as being successful? I love those things personally but I'm not sure what they have to do with handheld success up to this point.

Gravijah

theBishop said:

Personally, it just needs games.

SykoTech

Leona Lewis said:
Oh, now it's clear. How wrong I was to offer a thoughtful and informed response earlier when I could've just done this:

Stfu_teller.gif

Early console launches seem to bring out the craziest of people.

Truth101 said:
No, that isn't what you said and I quote, "the 3DS is comparable with the PSP, and that is it."

For the 3DS to be only comparable to the PSP, then anything that looks better than the PSP can't be compared to the 3DS. Therefore you are saying the 3DS can't compare to anything that looks better than the PSP.
Do you know the definition of comparable?

snap0212

Dr_Peace said:
Given the way Sony have performed there is no reason for me to believe they GET handhelds yet because the PSP (aside from a tiny catalogue made up mainly of Square Enix stuff) was a complete disaster.
It's Monster Hunter and it's made by Capcom. :p Why do you mention Square Enix all the time?

Calling the PSP a complete disaster is just laughable. Call the software sales outside of Japan a disaster, but if you call the PSP a disaster you should also call the 360 and the PS3 a disaster... both sold less than the PSP.

theBishop

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
To you. I was just talking general success in the marketplace.

Around 2007 (when I got my tag, FWIW), the story went: "the system with the best sales gets the best games, most 3rd party support, exclusives, etc."

Now that we've seen that narrative evaporate, can anyone explain the sales obsession to me?

Oppo

Jokeropia said:
The SNES, N64 and Gamecube were all profitable mainly due to strong sales of first-party games and little to no hardware losses.
Sure. But the diagram depicted a certain, shall we say, attitude that was not present until the Wii/DS gen. Before that it was a lot of hand-wringing and stress over whether or not Nintendo would eventually bail, as they were selling fewer units each gen since the SNES.

Actually, Nintendo first party games are the best selling kind of game both in the West and in the East.
Pokemon, Mario staples, sure. That's kind of a wide brush you're painting with there, though. Are you saying that Call of Duty and the like are something to sneeze at? It's a very big pool. They both sell exttremely well, I don't see how the sales of one invalidates the other.

I vehemently disagree with the resistive screen being inferior since the stylus offers superior accuracy. Try playing Trauma Center with your fingers.
Disagree all you like, it's not really defensible. Modern capacitive screens are just so much more sensitive and faster to respond. It's only the DS's tiny screens that make it necessary to use a stylus. (well, that and BC with DS games, in the case of the 3DS) Plus multitouch is a genuinely new thing that has unequivocally improved gameplay and led to some new techniques, and Nintendo just doesn't have that anywhere, not even the Wii U.

Nintendo's traditional IPs are much stronger than God of War and Valkyria Chronicles.
Yes but again this is not a binary thing, it's not a zero-sum game. Saying that one 5-million selling game doesn't count somehow because another game sells 8 million is ... weird.

So bringing it back to the OP's article, will history repeat itself? I'd say no, not necessarily as a "win" for Sony (whatever that means; still can't believe we're talking about a 'failed' system that sold 70M units) but I don't think it'll be a repeat of the last chorus.

Skilletor

Dr_Peace said:
I believe this is you not being able to prove your case :p .

You seem to think every game will use anti-aliasing because ACCORDING TO YOU Ocarina of Time 3D has it.

You fail to realise that...

1. It's an old game reworked, it's not pushing the hardware at all. If the effect is there and can just turn on immediately (which I've never seen a screen rendering effect do in all my time as a PC gamer) then it doesn't mean other games will do the same.

2. Every developer is not Nintendo. The Wii can use sub pixel point anti-aliasing just like the Gamecube could, why don't they use it then?.

It really seems like you haven't touched a 3DS. What about the framerate problems 3D induces?

I've got no case to prove. Nintendo has done it for me. Many games thus far run worse in 3D and lose visual features they have in 2D. Fact.

Zelda has AA in 2D, not in 3D. By turning off 3D mode, while playing, I am instantly treated to AA in 2D. That is what the slider is for. Since it IS an old game, one would think it wouldn't be hard to have visual parity in 2D/3D. But this is not the case.

But, you know, since you're a PC gamer, that renders the FACT that this happens in an already existing game moot, I suppose.

Top Bottom