• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of control pit bulls attack man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Sorry I looked earlier today and I don't think the article was there. Maybe I'm just blind.

Two separate sources were also posted in the last 2-3 pages of the thread.

In short, there was nothing "out of control" about the dogs in the video.

These were two trained attack dogs who did exactly what their owner told them to do. She told them to attack and they did.

RM8

People will never convince me that I shouldn't be particularly fearful of pitbulls. I'll avoid them and I don't think the statistics about them are insignificant.

That's what I was thinking. If I had an aluminum bat in my hand and these dogs were savaging someone I'd be swinging for the fucking fences.
In fairness to him dog attacks are incredibly violent and scary. He may have been terrified. Its hard to know what you will do when these things happen.

Tagyhag

What a sick woman, 2 men are injured and the 2 dogs will die for following orders because of her.

Hope karma gets her.

The Beard

Pit Bulls attract the dumbest and shittiest owners. Im surprised things like this don't happen more often.

The breed should be restricted to licensed and insured owners. They're too damn dangerous to be in the hands of any moron that wants to project an intimidating image.

Of course. Dogs aren't guns, they're living beings. I can't understand the hatred of people who want to exterminate a whole race because said race was mistreated and misued for centuries and has to fight with the predjustice. The reason for shitty pit bulls are shitty pit bull owners. Go for the fucking humans that mistreat a pet, not for the dogs. Especially in this case the owners ordered the dogs to attack. Why is their whole race at fault for that?

Forget extermination, but perhaps acquiring a pitbull should not be as easy as it currently is?

DOWN

Banned
Of course. Dogs aren't guns, they're living beings. I can't understand the hatred of people who want to exterminate a whole race because said race was mistreated and misued for centuries and has to fight with the predjustice. The reason for shitty pit bulls are shitty pit bull owners. Go for the fucking humans that mistreat a pet, not for the dogs. Especially in this case the owners ordered the dogs to attack. Why is their whole race at fault for that?
They only exist because people keep breeding them. They are just a domestic dog breed, not some exotic species. Just because the breed was created doesn't mean it's a good breed. Stop breeding them. No one is saying exterminate them all now. They have a bad reputation for their own temperament and hostility, not just the "well bad owner" answers.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's not a race. It's a breed of dog. They were specifically bred and selected for certain traits, and in my opinion, some of those traits aren't appropriate for a pet.

In addition, intact male dogs are responsible for the overwhelming majority of attacks, so neutering should be highly encouraged.

Musician

Wow... the "It's not Nature, it's Nurture!" people really don't understand how animal behavior works. The unfortunate truth is that Pits are predisposed to these kinds of attacks due to the way they've been bred. You need a special kind of owner to properly train a dog like that. I'm not for banning them, but a "special breed license" requirement to own certain races like pits, rotties and amstaffs would go a long way to prevent these kind of attacks.

dorkkaos

I think pit bulls get way too much of a bad rap. People who get attacked by dogs (especially by people who don't know dogs) could easily say it was a pit bull even though it wasn't. So I don't know how much of the statistic says that.

ex. ( http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/idaho-dog-shot-in-parked-van/ )

Pit bulls also get a reputation of being a "bad ass" dog, which in turn makes it adopted more often by shitty owners who only want the dog to be seen as a bad ass. Shitty owners breed shitty dogs. German Shepherds and Dobermans can be just as deadly. Easily.

Instead of getting rid of the breed, as some people are saying, it's better to just have a certification and license to own certain dogs. It would be best for both dog and other people. I'd say that Pitbulls are one of the breeds that can do major damage to people because of its sheer strength.

There really needs to be more regulation on larger stronger dogs.

Syriel

Wow... the "It's not Nature, it's Nurture!" people really don't understand how animal behavior works. The unfortunate truth is that Pits are predisposed to these kinds of attacks due to the way they've been bred. You need a special kind of owner to properly train a dog like that. I'm not for banning them, but a "special breed license" requirement to own certain races like pits, rotties and amstaffs would go a long way to prevent these kind of attacks.

"These kind of attacks" don't happen unless the dogs are well trained.

No dog comes into the world ready to attack a specific target on command.

To argue lack of training in this case is nonsensical.

They only exist because people keep breeding them. They are just a domestic dog breed, not some exotic species. Just because the breed was created doesn't mean it's a good breed. Stop breeding them.

Again, as pointed out in the very insightful article harriet posted upthread:

Luis Salgado, the animal-services investigator charged with enforcing the pit-bull ban in Miami, admits that "there is no reliable DNA testing for that breed. DNA is useless. If you look at where that breed came from, there's American bulldog, there's terrier—all watered down and mixed together to produce the dog we now call the pit bull." What Salgado uses to establish a dog's genetic identity is not genetics but rather "physical characteristics—we have a forty-seven-point checklist. Any dog that substantially conforms to the characteristics of a pit bull is considered a pit bull." You know one when you see one, in other words—and so the second irony proceeds from the first: You see a lot of them... "It doesn't have to be purebred to be considered a pit bull." A German shepherd crossed with a pit bull is a pit bull. A cocker spaniel crossed with a pit bull is a pit bull. "We had a beautiful dog in here not long ago that was a pit-Weimaraner mix," says Lieutenant Cheryl Shepard, who runs the animal shelter in Cobb County, Georgia, where I live. "But we try not to call dogs pit mixes, because then nobody will adopt them. So we called it a Weimaraner mix. And it looked like a Weimaraner. It had a lot of the traits of a Weimaraner. We found a woman to adopt it. But she took it to her vet and he said, 'No, that's a pit bull.' She returned it the next day."

Essentially, the pit bull is basically any mutt that looks enough like a pit bull to be considered a pit bull.

These two dogs have to be put down. The person controlling them needs to be charged with a crime equivalent to one attempted with any other potentially fatal weapon. But as the article above points out, attempts to get reductionist about these animals is less about really getting an understanding of what's going on, and more about feeling like there are easy answers to complicated situations. Which is 100% understandable.

I've been alive for awhile. I remember when the argument being made against pit bulls were being made against dobermans, and rottweilers. Pit Bulls have obviously long since dwarfed that alarm - but the alarm was similar once upon a time. There are a variety of reasons as to why those two breeds have receded in the public eye as being cause for instant alarm, too.

ElRenoRaven

Having finally caught up. That woman deserves to rot in prison for attempted murder. Hell make it 2 of them since they attacked at least one other person when they tried to help the guy. The poor dogs are going to be put down now because she's a piece of fucking shit. They were doing what they were told. That also tells me that they were well trained by her and trained to be aggressive. That's just sad.

As a former Pit Bull owner I can say they are some of the most lovable animals you can find when trained right. Ours would never hurt a soul. He was literally a big ol puppy. He loved to play and never did anything to hurt anyone or anything. Hell he even played with random wild animals and people which would come around. To see one of these amazing animals trained to basically be a murdering machine just breaks my heart so much. It happens far too often too sadly.

televator

My answer to "What about Rottweilers and German Shepards? Should we ban those too if people start abusing those breeds?" is yes. There, that's not hard. There's extremes. On one end we got Chihuahuas and Pugs, and on the other end is Pitts and Rotts. There's a point where we can say maybe dog breed X could pose a threat to life.

http://nydailynews.com/new-york/pit-bulls-attack-man-bronx-graphic-video-shows-article-1.2358056?utm_content=buffer0fd16&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

A Bronx woman ordered her two pit bulls to viciously attack a 62-year-old man Friday morning as neighbors frantically tried to intervene and blood streaked the street, according to police and graphic video.

Cynthia Oliver, 55, began arguing with the unnamed victim outside her building at 2414 Belmont Ave, police said. She soon let the pets off the leash and ordered them to attack, they said.

After the pets lunged at the man, a good Samaritan tried to wrangle them in on their leashes, according to video filmed from a nearby apartment.

The beasts kept up their assault as the victim twisted on the ground and the other man stepped over him to try to protect him. At one point, the pit bulls bit the man's shoulders and pulled him closer to the curb.

As a witness in the video screamed and called police, about eight neighbors swarmed to stop the attack, including those armed with a hose, a whip and a bat.

While neighbors whipped the dogs away and blasted them with water, the pit bulls went after a 46-year-old good Samaritan.

The action moved off camera as the first victim lay in a small pool of blood. He soon got up and walked away.

The first victim lost a part of his right ear and suffered lacerations to his chest and arms, police said. He and the 46-year-old man, who suffered cuts to his arms, were taken to Saint Barnabas Hospital in stable condition. The dogs were taken to Animal Care and Control.

Oliver was charged with eight counts of assault and two counts of reckless endangerment.

I live around there too :(
So the guy that people perceived was the owner that was standing over the man trying to get the pits off the man is actually a hero. People who seen the vid was like what a cowardly owner etc.

Chariot

Forget extermination, but perhaps acquiring a pitbull should not be as easy as it currently is?
This is something I can behind. Make a set of dangerous breeds and make the muzzle in public mandatory for them, scan their owners, don't give them to any idiot.

It's not a race. It's a breed of dog. They were specifically bred and selected for certain traits, and in my opinion, some of those traits aren't appropriate for a pet.

In addition, intact male dogs are responsible for the overwhelming majority of attacks, so neutering should be highly encouraged.
That doesn't mean that we should get rid of them in general. But there would be sense in neutering some of them, giving how many are filling up the shelters for animals.

They only exist because people keep breeding them. They are just a domestic dog breed, not some exotic species. Just because the breed was created doesn't mean it's a good breed. Stop breeding them. No one is saying exterminate them all now. They have a bad reputation for their own temperament and hostility, not just the "well bad owner" answers.
I present you:
The pittbul race should be exterminated.

Musician

"These kind of attacks" don't happen unless the dogs are well trained.

No dog comes into the world ready to attack a specific target on command.

To argue lack of training in this case is nonsensical.

So you're claiming that a license for potentially dangerous breeds wouldn't keep them out of the hands of bad owners?

If I'm walking down a street and witness a person being mauled by numerous dogs, my first instinct isn't going to be trading places with them.

Sure, and that's reasonable.

But there were like four other people right next to the dogs trying to grab them and block them off from the dude on the ground being mauled, which wasn't working at all.

As with any gun control argument - simply because a proposed measure doesn't sweepingly eliminate all varieties of the crimes that can be committed, doesnt' mean the measure doesn't have merits.

The stats in that Esquire article make it seem like adopting animals from any shelter should be a little more stringent, regardless. Not just Pit Bulls, either. Which is interesting considering for most people, a pet at an early age is one of the first truly valuable object lessons in responsibility, and yet the number of irresponsible adult pet owners across all breeds is pretty fuckin' high.

Any breed of dog that is big enough to knock you down and strong enough to keep you there should have an adoption process that evaluates whether the owner is going to be an irresponsible ass whose actions are going to lead to that animal getting euthanized along with the millions of other shelter animals that have to die annually.

The ignorance in this thread is baffling. People calling for the dog to stop being bread altogether, Jesus Christ go educate yourself. I have had Pit Bulls my whole life and every single one of them was a saint that could be trusted around new born babies. They would never hurt a fly, if they were lost in public, the only thing they would do is maybe lick somebodies face. They are bread for fighting because they are agile and have an insane pain tolerance. There are more dangerous dogs out there like Kengals, almost all the Mastiff breeds, Cane Corsos, Presa Canarios ect.
The reason nobody talks about them getting banned is because they are not as popular as pitties. Yes the dog can be dangerous but that falls on the owner so if anything needs to happen, they should make it so you need a license to get one or something. Get the fuck out of here with saying they shouldn't exist. Fucking nonsense. My dogs are my family.

Musician

The dogs were ordered to do that by the owner.

So kill the owner?

I'm saying this as a dog owner.

Dogs aren't humans. You can't draw direct parallels like that.

The ignorance in this thread is baffling. People calling for the dog to stop being bread altogether, Jesus Christ go educate yourself. I have had Pit Bulls my whole life and every single one of them was a saint that could be trusted around new born babies. They would never hurt a fly, if they were lost in public, the only thing they would do is maybe lick somebodies face. They are bread for fighting because they are agile and have an insane pain tolerance. There are more dangerous dogs out there like Kengals, almost all the Mastiff breeds, Cane Corsos, Press Canarios ect.
The reason nobody talks about them getting banned is because they are not as popular as pitties. Yes the dog can be dangerous but that falls on the owner so if anything needs to happen, they should make it so you need a license to get one or something. Get the fuck out of here with saying they shouldn't exist. Fucking nonsense. My dogs are my family.

I'm glad that you're a good owner, but the stats don't lie. Some people ruin it for everybody, unfortunately.

Chariot

And who should have the responisiblity? The human owner or the animals who do as they are ordered?
I'm glad that you're a good owner, but the stats don't lie. Some people ruin it for everybody, unfortunately.
Of course stats can lie if you don't look into the context. The reasons for the spike of shitty dogs of certain breeds are human idiots who get these dogs because of the predjustice. If you blindly believe flat statistics you are going to get into trouble. What do you think crime statistics in Ferguson say when you only look at the numbers? You need to look beyound the tables.

Maximus.

Holy shit what a piece of shit owner, teaching her pets to know the command attack and unleashing them as a weapon. The blame is on the owner here, not the animal. Pit bulls get a bad rep because of the shit owners. That was horrible to watch and it's sad these two dogs had a shit owner that now cost them their lives. I have seen many kind hearted and playful pit bulls. In fact, where I get my dog food, the owner has a pit bull and she loves playing with my dog and greeting everyone.

Jenov

Wow, what a video. I remember a while back someone made a thread on here about their own kid being randomly attacked by a family pittbull that they all thought was sweet and lovable. Dunno where the thread is, but his kid lived.

I wouldn't mind a ban of the breed, or at least very costly licensing/insurance requirements that would keep them out of most homes. And not just pits either, rottweiler, doberman, huskies, etc any breed that's shown to have an unusually high death/maul rate.

Sheytan

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2014.php

42 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2014. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 700 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 64% (27) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6% of the total U.S. dog population.
Together, pit bulls (27) and rottweilers (4), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 74% of the total recorded deaths in 2014. This same combination also accounted for 74% of all fatal attacks during the 10-year period of 2005 to 2014.

Myth #1: It's the owner not the breed
The outdated debate, "It's the owner, not the breed," has caused the pit bull problem to grow into a 30-year old problem.1 Designed to protect pit bull breeders and owners, the slogan ignores the genetic history of the breed and blames these horrific maulings -- inflicted by the pit bull's genetic "hold and shake" bite style -- on environmental factors. While environment plays a role in a pit bull's behavior, it is genetics that leaves pit bull victims with permanent and disfiguring injuries.
The pit bull's genetic traits are not in dispute. Many appellate courts agree that pit bulls pose a significant danger to society and can be regulated accordingly. Some of the genetic traits courts have identified include: unpredictability of aggression, tenacity ("gameness" the refusal to give up a fight), high pain tolerance and the pit bull's "hold and shake" bite style.2 According to forensic medical studies, similar injuries have only been found elsewhere on victims of shark attacks.3
Purveyors of this myth also cannot account for the many instances in which pit bull owners and their family members are victimized by their pet dogs. From 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans, about one citizen every 18 days. Of these deaths, 53% involved a family member and a household pit bull.4 Notably, in the first 8 months of 2011, nearly half of those killed by a pit bull was its owner. One victim was an "avid supporter" of Bad Rap, a recipient of Michael Vick's dogs.5

Its their popularity that is the problem. The stats look like that because of the sheer number of them out there. Those stats are not like that solely because of the breed.

Kin5290

If you read the article, it says that the victim in that video actually has a pit bull of his own, and he regrets that those two dogs are going to be punished for their owner's actions.

Calamari41

41 > 38
You can't play Monday Morning Quarterback with this shit. If you watch the video, you see some brave people doing their best to not get mauled as well...and even then you had others end up in the hospital.

I'd rather interrupt an armed mugging than try to stop an attack like this with my bare hands. It would be much more helpful to find a weapon. Otherwise, all you're doing is sacrificing your body to buy the target some time. I'd do that for family, but someone random is going to have to wait until I get back with a spear.

Musician

And who should have the responisiblity? The human owner or the animals who do as they are ordered?

The owner of course needs to be punished for ruining and by extension killing the two dogs as well as using them as weapons against another human, but the dogs can't be allowed to live. It's not so much punishment for the dogs acting like they've been told as a safety measure to prevent them from hurting people again.

The drive by posting and ignorance in this thread :(

What's worse is that people don't seem to be reading the knowledgable and informed posts with statistics or good reasoning or even acknowledging it via a quotation response.

Chariot

The owner of course needs to be punished for ruining and by extension killing two dogs, but the dogs can't be allowed to live. It's not so much punishment for the dogs acting like they've been told as a safety measure to prevent them from hurting people again.
I can't argue against the execution of this two particular animals. Nobody probably wants to take them after this media coverage and the owner is obviously no good. I am just against the extinction of the whole breed.

from the actual CDC report that people tend to link through the filter of Dogsbite.org, a site with a well-known strong bias against the breed:

http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/images/dogbreeds-a.pdf

Conclusions—Although fatal attacks on humans appear to be a breed-specific problem (pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers), other breeds may bite and cause fatalities at higher rates. Because of difficulties inherent in determining a dog’s breed with certainty, enforcement of breed-specific ordinances raises constitutional and practical issues. Fatal attacks represent a small proportion of dog bite injuries to humans and, therefore, should not be the primary factor driving public policy concerning dangerous dogs. Many practical alternatives to breed-specific ordinances exist andhold promise for prevention of dog bites. (J Am Vet Med Assoc2000;217:836–840)

Procedure
We collected data from The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and media accounts related to dog bite attacks and fatalities, using methods from previous studies. 1-3 The HSUS maintains a registry of human DBRF, including date of death, age and sex of decedent, city and state of attack, number and breeds of dogs involved, and circumstances relating to the attack. To supplement HSUS reports, as in the past, a database 6 was searched for accounts of human DBRF that occurred in 1997 and 1998. Our search strategy involved scanning the text of newspapers and periodicals for certain words and word combinations likely to represent human DBRF followed by a review of articles containing those terms. Data obtained from HSUS and news accounts were merged to maximize detection of human DBRF and avoid duplicate reports. One new human DBRF from 1996 was identified in the 1997 and 1998 reports and was added to the existing data for 1996

Although the fatality data are concerning, one must broaden the context to consider both fatal and nonfatal bites when deciding on a course of action. Nonfatal dog bites continue to be a public health problem in the United States. Although this and prior reports 1-3 document more than 330 DBRF during a 20-year period, these tragedies represent only the most severe manifestation of the problem. In 1986, nonfatal dog bites resulted in an estimated 585,000 injuries that required medical attention or restricted activity. 8 By 1994, an estimated 4.7 million people (1.8% of the US population) sustained a dog bite; of these, approximately 800,000 (0.3% of the US population) sought medical care for the bite (332,000 in emergency departments), and 6,000 were hospitalized. 9-11 This 36% increase in medically attended bites from 1986 to 1994 draws attention to the need for an effective response, including dog bite prevention programs. Because (1) fatal bites constitute less than 0.00001% of all dog bites annually, (2) fatal bites have remained relatively constant over time, whereas nonfatal bites have been increasing, and (3) fatal bites are rare at the usual political level where bite regulations are promulgated and enforced, we believe that fatal bites should not be the primary factor driving public policy regarding dog bite prevention.

Several interacting factors affect a dog’s propensity to bite, including heredity, sex, early experience, socialization and training, health (medical and behavioral), reproductive status, quality of ownership and supervision, and victim behavior. For example, a study in Denver of medically-attended dog bites in 1991 suggested that male dogs are 6.2 times more likely to bite than female dogs, sexually intact dogs are 2.6 times more likely to bite than neutered dogs, and chained dogs are 2.8 times more likely to bite than unchained dogs. 12 Communities have tried to address the dog bite problem by focusing on different factors related to biting behavior.

To decrease the risk of dog bites, several communities have enacted breed-specific restrictions or bans. In general, these have focused on pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers. However, breeds responsible for human DBRF have varied over time. Pinckney and Kennedy 13 studied human DBRF from May 1975 through April 1980 and listed the following breeds as responsible for the indicated number of deaths: German Shepherd Dog (n= 16); Husky-type dog (9); Saint Bernard (8); Bull Terrier (6); Great Dane (6); Malamute (5); Golden Retriever (3); Boxer (2); Dachshund (2); Doberman Pinscher (2); Collie (2); Rottweiler (1); Basenji (1); Chow Chow (1); Labrador Retriever (1); Yorkshire Terrier (1); and mixed and unknown breed (15). As ascertained from our data, between 1979 and 1980, Great Danes caused the most reported human DBRF; between 1997 and 1998, Rottweilers and pit bull type dogs were responsible for about 60% of human DBRF. Indeed, since 1975, dogs belonging to more than 30 breeds have been responsible for fatal attacks on people, including Dachshunds, a Yorkshire Terrier, and a Labrador Retriever.

In addition to issues surrounding which breeds to regulate, breed specific ordinances raise several practical issues. For optimal enforcement, there would need to be an objective method of determining the breed of a particular dog. Pedigree analysis (a potentially timeconsuming and complicated effort) combined with DNA testing (also time-consuming and expensive) is the closest to an objective standard for conclusively identifying a dog’s breed. Owners of mixed-breed or unregistered (ie, by a kennel club) dogs have no way of knowing whether their dog is one of the types identified and whether they are required to comply with breed-specific ordinances. Thus, law enforcement personnel have few means for positively determining a dog’s breed and deciding whether owners are in compliance or violation of laws.

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/05/in_defense_of_the_pitbull_partner/

According to the American Veterinary Medicine Association, “controlled studies have not identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous.” The American Temperance Testing Society (ATTS) puts thousands of dogs – purebreds and spayed and neutered mixed-breeds – through their paces each year. The dogs are tested for skittishness, aggression and their ability to differentiate between threatening and non-threatening humans. Among all of the breeds ATTS tested – over 30,000 dogs through May 2011 — 83 percent passed the test. How did pit bulls do? They showed an above average temperament, with 86 percent making the grade. Pit bulls are the second most tolerant breed tested by ATTS, after only golden retreivers.

Pit bulls do not have special “locking jaws” – that’s pure mythology. They don’t demonstrate some sort of special shaking action when they bite – all dogs display similar biting behavior. Pit bulls do not exert an unusual amount of bite-force for their size. Multiple studies have found that bite force correlates to body-weight, and tests of three breeds conducted by National Geographic found that the American pit bull terrier exerted less bite-force than German shepherds or Rottweilers.

Karen Delise, research director for the National Canine Research Council and author of “The Pitbull Placebo,” has investigated hundreds of serious dog bite incidents in depth. As she explains:

My study of dog bite-related fatalities occurring over the past five decades has identified the poor ownership/management practices involved in the overwhelming majority of these incidents: owners obtaining dogs, and maintaining them as resident dogs outside of regular, positive human interaction, often for negative functions (i.e. guarding/protection, fighting, intimidation/status); owners failing to humanely contain, control and maintain their dogs (chained dogs, loose roaming dogs, cases of abuse/neglect); owners failing to knowledgably supervise interaction between children and dogs; and owners failing to spay or neuter dogs not used for competition, show, or in a responsible breeding program.
There are a tiny number of attacks that simply can’t be explained. Occasionally, a well-raised, beloved pet without a history of behavioral issues will hurt a human – dogs are animals, after all – but these incidents are incredibly rare.

That problem is compounded by media sensationalism. Karen Delise studied every fatal dog bite reported in the years between 2002-2005, and found that “eleven dogs involved in fatal attacks with no Pitbull characteristics were counted as Pitbulls, while their ‘true’ breeds were not reported, and three dogs that were clearly not Rottweilers were identified as Rottweilers.” That was among a total of 47 fatal attacks (by all breeds) reported during that period.

This dog was involved in a fatal attack and the media called it a pit bull…

According to Delise, this dog was reported as a pit bull despite the fact that animal control officers told reporters that she was in fact a Labrador mix…

This kind of misidentification creates a feedback loop, as most studies of fatal attacks rely on media reports for breed identification.

The media’s role in amplifying the public’s fear of pit bull-type dogs was evident in a study conducted by the National Canine Research Council in 2008. When an Arizona woman was killed by one or more dogs identified as Labrador retrievers, one local newspaper reported the story. But that same year, when a California man was killed by one or more pit bulls, the incident was reported “by at least 285 media outlets, both nationally (in 47 U.S. states) and internationally (in eight other countries). MSNBC, Forbes, USA Today, Fox News, CBS News, and ABC News all picked up the story.”

And when an infant in New Jersey was reportedly killed by a Siberian husky, around a dozen local news outlets reported the tragic incident, according to the study. But when another infant was killed by what authorities described as a pit bull in Nevada the same month, it was reported by over 200 media outlets around the world, often with the word “pit bull” in the headlines. Like shark attacks, our perception of the risk associated with these dogs has a lot to do with this kind of sensationalism.

from the ASPCA site a while back (link was broken):

Animal control officers across the country have told the ASPCA that when they alert the media to a dog attack, news outlets respond that they have no interest in reporting on the incident unless it involved a pit bull. A quantitative study by the National Canine Research Council of dog-bite reportage in a four-day period proves that anti-pit bull bias in the media is more than just a theory—it’s a fact.

August 18, 2007—A Labrador mix attacked a 70-year-old man, sending him to the hospital in critical condition. Police officers arrived at the scene and the dog was shot after charging the officers.
This incident was reported in one article in the local paper.

August 19, 2007—A 16-month-old child received fatal head and neck injuries after being attacked by a mixed-breed dog.
This attack was reported on twice by the local paper.

August 20, 2007—A six-year-old boy was hospitalized after having his ear torn off and receiving a severe bite to the head by a medium-sized, mixed-breed dog.
This incident was reported in one article in the local paper.

August 21, 2007—A 59-year-old woman was attacked in her home by two pit bulls and was hospitalized with severe, but not fatal, injuries.
This attack was reported in over 230 articles in national and international newspapers, as well as major television news networks including CNN, MSNBC and FOX.

Along with over-reporting, false reporting is a major contributor to the public relations nightmare currently facing pit bulls. There is an emerging tendency for all short-haired, stocky dogs to be called pit bulls—and when a dangerous dog’s breed is unknown, the media is not above assuming that the dog involved must have been a pit bull. The National Canine Resource Council terms this phenomenon “Everything is a pit bull, whether it is or not.” In the rush to publish, the pit bull label is often inaccurately applied—and even if a correction is later made, the damage is done. Not all media bias is necessarily intentional, but it forms an impression on the public and on legislators nonetheless.

If you look closely you can see this exact same phenomenon here on GAF, where threads are only made when a dog attacks someone if that dog happens to be a bully breed

There's never a thread when a golden retriever tears a baby in half

or for any of the many positive stories about pitbulls

Elle The Pit Bull Named 2013 Hero Dog By American Humane Association

Pit Bull Saves Long Island Woman from Fire

Dog comforts other sick canines at vet clinic

Hero Pit Bull Helps Find Elderly N.J. Woman Lost In The Woods

Local therapy dog helps grieving city of Boston

Rescued Pit Bull Saves 4-Year-Old Minnesota Boy

Rescue dog Stitch gives local family strength

Dogs guard girl when fox attacks

Hero pit bull pulls owner from train tracks in life-saving rescue

Family: Pit bull saved boy, 9, from abduction

Pit bull hailed as hero after protecting owner from home invasion

Hero Dog Shows Up Lassie, Uses iPhone To Call 911 And Save Owner's Life

Dog helps save 4 children from fire

Musician

I am just against the extinction of the whole breed.

So am I. I just want to make sure that the right people get the right breed of dog. I'm sure pits can be the sweetest darlings around, as can rottweilers, gsd's, mastiffs, amstaffs... but it takes the right owner.

Honestly, I wouldn't trust most people with a god damned bichon frise, but at least the damage one of those can do is minor.

Valnen

She should be locked up forever with the key thrown away. She straight up tried to kill a person with her dogs. There is no rehabilitating a monster like that.

The Beard

Its their popularity that is the problem. The stats look like that because of the sheer number of them out there. Those stats are not like that solely because of the breed.

That's bullshit. The problem is their popularity amongst the irresponsible asshole population. Sure, there are responsible and sensible owners out there, I'm sure you're one of them but I think you're outnumbered.

Labs and golden retrievers heavily outnumber Pits. How many people do they kill each year?

STOP.

I have lived with Pit bulls they are good dogs.

I've lived with a rottie who was an angel (and as big as a horse and built like a wrestler).

I'm still not going near a strange rottweiler, they are huge and they could maul me.

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee german shepherds and grew up with them, but I know they are super protective.
I'd trust that breed as family dog with my own kids but never with strangers let alone a stranger's children, because they can't be trusted around people they don't know. They're not a safe dog with strangers, especially without the owner nearby.
I also don't think just anyone should be able to own one of them, any asshole who trains them as attack dog or any irresponsible owner or someone who isn't the boss of their own dog is going to get someone bit down the line.

Some breeds are just much more docile by nature (there's always mentally damaged or abused dogs ofc) than others.
Some are way bigger and can do way more damage than others.

Dogs were bred for thousands of years for specific purposes...
Some were bred to be herders (leave a border collie alone with your kids and he'll try to herd them...) , some to hunt vermin , some were bred to literally assume a pointing pose when they sniff out prey, some were bred to pull sleds, others were bred to sit on a lap all day.

Guess what pitbulls were bred for...
Also pitbulls as a breed tend to not let go when they bite... they sell frigging sticks designed to pry their mouths open just for this breed.

Find me a case of a cavalier king charles spaniel mauling a child and I'll concede that dog breed has nothing to do with behavior.
One single case, shouldn't be hard to find, maybe once you get past the first 10 pages of search results showing articles about pitbulls attacking cavaliers xD

That's bullshit. The problem is their popularity amongst the irresponsible asshole population. Sure, there are responsible and sensible owners out there, I'm sure you're one of them but I think you're outnumbered.

Labs and golden retrievers heavily outnumber Pits. How many people do they kill each year?
Good point. I guess it their popularity with a certain demographic of shitty dog owners.
Like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom