• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 Dev Diary: The Engine

ironcreed

Banned
All I see is a customisation system? Not 'mods' as in modification to the game's engine or systems?

It does look bloody good, but it's just lots of options for your pre-existing weapons/tools.

There are modifications for your tools, vehicles, etc that you can turn on and off. In that sense, they are mods and that is why they call them that.

All I see is a customisation system? Not 'mods' as in modification to the game's engine or systems?

It does look bloody good, but it's just lots of options for your pre-existing weapons/tools.

I don't think he knew what you meant. Mods can refer to vehicle/weapon modification (like Fallout 4 has as a recent example) but can also mean the fan-made things available for many PC games that add new content or change the way the game works on some level.

To the extent of my knowledge JC3 doesn't have the latter (at least not until it's released and modders get their hands on it), but as you saw in the video, you can "mod" your vehicles and weapons.

Kick a sniper
xU9QwLj.gif

C'mon down, helicopter
Vx4ufZ8.gif

Outta here
dzZL52m.gif

Feel like it'll be the most fun AAA game of the year.

SomTervo

Well, shit.

I absolutely love what they've done with the camera and lack of minimap in this game. If it's still cheap come release day on CDKeys i'll buy.

There are modifications for your tools, vehicles, etc that you can turn on and off. In that sense, they are mods and that is why they call them that.

Ah yes, when people say 'mods' in a hardcore gaming forum, usually they refer to mods as in unofficial game-modifications. As in, 'mods for Skyrim'. Or 'a mod for MGSV that makes Quiet fully clothed' :p unofficial things.

Yes, by definition, what you're talking about are weapon/gear modifications. It's just a slang thing.

It still looks like a great feature.

I don't think he knew what you meant. Mods can refer to vehicle/weapon modification (like Fallout 4 has as a recent example) but can also mean the fan-made things available for many PC games that add new content or change the way the game works on some level.

To the extent of my knowledge JC3 doesn't have the latter (at least not until it's released and modders get their hands on it), but as you saw in the video, you can "mod" your vehicles and weapons.

I realised!

This seems like a perfect game for when you're too sick to go to work and so you just stay home all day and dick around in this game's world. That .gif above of Rico wingsuiting right through a town looks pretty fantastic.

Alienous

A gimmick? not really sure what you mean by this.

Too situational. Like 'here's what we'll let you blow up' rather than 'blow things up'.

The keep showing that same bridge. Aside from that and the large radar dishes it all looks like fairly standard fare as far as blowing things up goes. It doesn't look like it really has all that much of an impact on the gameplay, thus the gimmick comment.

danowat

Banned
Too situational. Like 'here's what we'll let you blow up' rather than 'blow things up'.

The keep showing that same bridge. Aside from that and the large radar dishes it all looks like fairly standard fare as far as blowing things up goes. It doesn't look like it really has all that much of an impact on the gameplay, thus the gimmick comment.

Did you play JC2?

You didn't play Just Cause 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The ambient music is giving me Assassin's Creed vibes at times (I live for this kind of stuff). And the sound design on explosions is fantastic. We've been getting so many streams with overpowering commentary that I don't think I've ever heard them clearly before.

It disappoints me greatly that ambient music has become such a sporadic feature of AssCreed (present in 1 through Revelations -> missing in 3 -> present in Black Flag -> missing in Unity aside from a select few areas -> ditto for Syndicate).

Edit: D'oh, I forgot about Rogue. I honestly can't remember where it lands on the ambient music inclusion scale.

It disappoints me greatly that ambient music has become such a sporadic feature of AssCreed (present in 1 through Revelations -> missing in 3 -> present in Black Flag -> missing in Unity aside from a select few areas -> ditto for Syndicate).

It annoys me as well.

But this game seems to have me covered (this player though :X). When it's not going nuts with action music, or periodic low key Spanish/exotic guitar riffs, it's this really atmospheric music that goes perfectly with the wingsuit flight.

I took a couple screens cap of the graphic options but then accidentally saved over the first one. >_> But still here's most of them.

And yeah, they rebuilt their driving from the ground up with the Criterion/NFS people who came in.

I hope Just Cause 3 doesn't receive the same unfair review scores that Mad Max got. I feel like there is some open world burn out from reviewers that caused that game to score less than it should.

Pure joy. Going to love this game! It's refreshing to see a game like this not take itself seriously and just be as crazy and fun as possible.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Any guess or proof how this is going to look on PS4? I seen the trailer and it looks amazing, but I'm pretty sure that was running on a PC. I've seen the screenshots already but I'm looking for actual gameplay

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
[QUOTE="D";186535883]Any guess or proof how this is going to look on PS4? I seen the trailer and it looks amazing, but I'm pretty sure that was running on a PC. I've seen the screenshots already but I'm looking for actual gameplay[/QUOTE]

People have posted live stream captures of people playing on the PS4 who got it early in this thread. Just scroll up a bit.

ironcreed

Banned
[QUOTE="D";186535883]Any guess or proof how this is going to look on PS4? I seen the trailer and it looks amazing, but I'm pretty sure that was running on a PC. I've seen the screenshots already but I'm looking for actual gameplay[/QUOTE]

PS4 footage is all over Youtube. Here is nearly 6 hours for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15-PDVpc1Rk

The destruction is all procedural now?

How did I miss that?

Interest+++

Well kinda , it is still made with pre defined parts according to the video. Just it does not model swap like before.

There does not seem to be the procedural creation of cracks and new geometric pieces.

ironcreed

Banned
Story?

Main gripes with 2 were the shooting mechanics and the story being absolute shite.

Seriously? The story is just there for comedy and to fill in the blanks while you have fun. It does not take itself seriously on purpose. The substance is in doing crazy shit in a giant and beautiful world. It's a true video game in every sense.

I am currently pre-loaded and ready on the Bone. How does it look and run?

How is the framerate? Any hitches? Rock solid? I assume it's 30 fps.

For the most part it's a solid 30 FPS unless there is a really fucking big explosion involved with physics stuff. PC will be significantly better in that department, I can already imagine the insanity with stable 60FPS, it's going to be glorious to look at. Here is my 1.5 hour impressions from playing the game on Xbox One.

I couldn't play more because I had shit to do however from what I played I can confirm that the game is a shit ton of fun and feels much tighter than JC2. Also, something that surprised me is the sound mixing in this game is insane especially the gun sounds. It just feels real satisfying to shoot now compared to JC2.

Starting the game I was greeted with trying to log in online but I don't know what the online features are as of yet but it probably is recording what you do to your SE account as well as the leaderboards? could be but you can play offline so that's good. After that, I got into a 40-50 second loading screen as soon as you press start game which is bad but after that, any death or failure resulted in a 15-20 second loading screen. I don't know if that is better on PS4 or if you install it on an SSD because I'm using a regular ass 1TB WD HDD.

The game starts off pretty strong and pretty much throws you right in the mess of things while teaching you some of the mechanics. Literally within the first 10 or so minutes you'll get the wingsuit and tethering objects. I could only make 2 tethers and the maximum is
FUCKING TETHERS. Of course, that's only possible by upgrading it thanks to your gear mods menu option, you do challenges to unlock crazy upgrades that concerns pretty much everything you use. Weapons, grenades, hook.etc

The game has great draw distances on consoles and it seems to be a really massive place to wreck havoc in. So far this just seems to be a crazier, bigger and better JC2. There are
regions,
provinces,
settlements,
missions,
challenges,
daredevil jumps,
ancient tombs and a bunch of other collectibles.

I took short videos(30 second and lower/pics) with my phone just to give you a general idea of how everything looks like since I can't use the console DVR because of the clips not saving. The reason being is that the game isn't out yet and who knows there might be a day 1 patch that irons out the issues I have not yet stumbled on. I don't have an Elegato or the like so yeah.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11

Some gear mod spoilers concerning the menus for those that don't want to see.

Hopefully this helps anyone out in their decision to get or not get this game.

For the most part it's a solid 30 FPS unless there is a really fucking big explosion involved with physics stuff. PC will be significantly better in that department, I can already imagine the insanity with stable 60FPS, it's going to be glorious to look at.Here is my 1.5 hour impressions from playing the game on Xbox One.

Does the game use the impulse triggers on the Xbox One?

Top Bottom