• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megadimension Neptunia VII |OT| Double the Nep, Double the Victory

SerTapTap

1XFci57.jpg

Developer: Idea Factory
Publisher: Idea Factory International
Platform: PS4
Genre: Turn Based Parody JRPG
Release Date: April 23rd, 2015 (JP), February 2nd, 2016 (US), February 12th, 2016 (EU)
Limited Edition: SOLD OUT

Summary
Gamindustri has entered the CPU Shift Period, a time of turmoil where people's faith in CPUs is in great flux. Neptune manages to stumble into a different dimension as usual. The game features three full stories following the whole cast of CPUs and the new Gold Third, representing major (Japanese) third party companies.

You may have heard of this as "Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory 2". The Japanese title was changed a bit from usual as well, so it seems "Hyperdimension" as a title isn't sticking around (but Hyperdimension is still the "canon timeline").

Features
  • 1080p 60 FPS
  • Improved battle animations
  • Shiny new high res character portraits
  • A chapter for each nation, focusing on that nation's CPU
  • Two Neps
  • Real, per character transformation sequences
  • A NEXT level of transformation for the main CPUs that changes attack properties rather than simple base stats.
  • Dungeons of the same theme that actually differ in layout
  • Drastically improved New Game + features
  • Significantly more tactical combat due to a revamp of skill/attack/EXE damage
  • EXE drive is not maintained during battle and is no longer an instant win button
  • Non-neglected Nepgear
  • Possibly the most new music in a game in the series
  • A significant leap in general polish
  • NEPGEARDAM

Characters

zSiVlur.png

There's tons! You can read up on them on Idea Factory International's offical site. Each character represents a gaming brand. developer or aspect of gaming.

Screenshots
Yes they're in Japanese, I took most of my screenshots while playing the JP release.

FAQs
  • Is this the 7th Neptunia game?!
  • -No. It's the fourth mainline game. The series almost always makes an abbreviation joke with it's numbers.
  • Can I play this before the other games in the series?
  • -Less so than most series, but this does follow some direct events of Victory/Rebirth3's True Ending (it also partially retcons them to make more sense). The game introduces you to the characters well enough though, which is the most important factor in enjoying it. Basically, play 3 if you can but it's no big deal and it doesn't spoil much.
  • What's Canon?
  • -Mk2 (rebirth2), Victory (rebirth3) and Victory 2 are canon and take place in sequence. Remember that the Vert, Noire, and Blanc in Victory/Rebirth 3 are from a different dimension and technically different from the CPUs in this game.
  • Is this an improvement over Rebirth 3?!?
  • -If you've only played the Rebirth games, you might not be familiar with how major each upgrade in quality each "main" Neptunia game is. Yes, this is a big leap over Rebirth 3 (and no it doesn't have the silly SP system)
  • How long is it?
  • -Maybe 60 hours first playthrough, depending on how thorough you are
  • Is this game super grindy?
  • -Only if you're bad at it, a completionist, or going for the Platinum Trophy.
  • What's different from the prior games, mechanically?
  • -Too many to go over in this format. There's a rundown on my site covering the notable changes
  • How thorough is the dub?
  • -I'd estimate 50% coverage tops.
  • Should I go for true ending first?
  • -Please don't. New Game + has a lot of great features now and stressing yourself over Shares the first playthrough will only harm your experience. NG+ goes by extremely quick now.
  • (Swearing sounds) Is the Japanese dub included at least?!!?!
  • -Yes, it's free DLC and should voice most scenes that aren't voiced in English.
  • Should I just use the JP dub?
  • -It's a trade off, since you'll miss a lot of combat/map dialog.
  • Tara Platt isn't Vert?!
  • -She was busy. Don't read too much into it. But yes, Rom's VA seems to voice Vert (not in Rom's voice, obviously...)
  • DLC?
  • -There were many outfits, weapons, level cap packs, coliseum battles, and characters in the Japanese DLC. Until launch we won't know how much IFI is charging for them, but they're usually all available at once.
  • When should I buy DLC?
  • -If you want it, character/cosmetic DLC should usually be bought as early as possible so you can actually enjoy the new character to the fullest. Weapon DLC should usually be ignored as it will be unreasonably OP. Level cap DLC is highly unnecessary unless you're doing DLC coliseum challenges.
  • PC WHEN (labored breathing)?!
  • -No official word on this. Expect it to be several months post release, like every other PC release from IFI. But Fellistella didn't work on this game so it could be different. Basically who knows.

Spoiler Etiquette
The story isn't super twist-heavy or anything, but it's one of the more spoiler-vulnerable games in the series so please air on the side of caution with story details and hide any spoiler images behind a link .
(eg: Story Spoiler:
Bowser Dies
).

Links
Playstation Store link: Not up yet
Limited Edition: Here, but sold out.
Official English Site
Sir TapTap's (yes, that's me) guide to Victory (2)
Another English guide, not by Sir TapTap.
A pretty complete Wiki about the game, but it's in Japanese.

Editor's Note: I've played about half of the English release (review copy, review not done yet) and I've beaten the JP release 3 times so feel free to ask any questions.

Volcynika

Looking forward to getting dat Nep Nep.

Heard the dub is a little light and they didn't voice all the story stuff, but hopefully a good portion of it is voiced.

i assume 2015 is a mistake or is this already out

anyway, one of my friends really enjoys this series, and i've always been curious about it. can i just jump into this one and not miss much or should i give the others a go?

SerTapTap

Looking forward to getting dat Nep Nep.

Heard the dub is a little light and they didn't voice all the story stuff, but hopefully a good portion of it is voiced.

I put that in the FAQ, it's close to half, being generous. It's not abysmal but it's much less than it should be IMO, it's a great game and would be a good time for IFI to really show off.

i assume 2015 is a mistake or is this already out

Was a typo, at least on the western releases, fixed.

SerTapTap

How is the music? There were some really good themes in recent games I liked.

Absolutely fantastic. Best OST in a Neptunia game IMO and they're always really good. I'd recommend the Limited Edition to get the OST but it sold out long ago

Brew124

Excellent OT. It's finally about here.. I have been waiting to get started on this. The second of my three purchases this week, with the other two being Digimon and Gravity Rush. Going to be a busy couple weeks!

squall211

I played all three Rebirth games last year, so I'm a bit burned out on the Neptunia games at the moment. Will definitely pick this up when it goes on sale though.

Dezzy

Absolutely fantastic. Best OST in a Neptunia game IMO and they're always really good. I'd recommend the Limited Edition to get the OST but it sold out long ago

Is it actually new music this time? Last couple I played has the exact same music.

SerTapTap

Is it actually new music this time? Last couple I played has the exact same music.

I feel this is going to come up a lot from Rebirth players, so let me make this clear: The rebirth games have excessive reuse because they're all remake from the same engine. The progression of the Rebirth games should not be confused with how a new mainline game happens. The jump is far greater.

Anyway, yes, the 45 track OST for Victory 2 is all new. A few old tracks are used too, but all games have included new music. There's just some conversational music that's re-used a lot, and maps usually have the same music if they're also re-used.

Stuff still gets re-used, but it's nothing on the level of the Rebirth games.

Most importantly Victory 2 has the most unique battle music tracks, the battle music is always my favorite.

how do shares work with quests now, is it still someone gains and someone else loses?

shoulda put that in the FAQ, no, zero sum is dead. It's just a 0-100 progress bar, and quests only ever add shares. Shares are lost by being KO'd or transforming.

But like I said, don't worry about true ending or shares the first playthrough . You'll have a lot more fun playing freely, the normal ending seems legit, and NG+ is much better now (I've hated the NG+ in these games for years, now it's probably my favorite NG+ ever, at least in a turn based JRPG. It's like Tales but...not stupidly locking away all the fun stuff with high requirements.

There's a lot more info like that in the "differences" list I link to. A LOT of the stupid things have been fixed up, very much like Mk2->Victory.

Excellent OT. It's finally about here.. I have been waiting to get started on this. The second of my three purchases this week, with the other two being Digimon and Gravity Rush. Going to be a busy couple weeks!

February, especially the 2nd, is insane. Hope nothing gets overlooked.

Yup,there are endings that requires you to change them all.(just one endingi think)

Shares are there, but not Zero-Sum. And yeah, true ending has some share specific stuff, the guides I link have info on that. There's only 3 endings like in Victory, the "You didn't even try at all" ending, the normal one and the true ending (which adds some length to the game again I think). Endings are handled better than Victory which is like "oh you like Uni, Rom and Ram? Better get the true ending, loser!"

The more I look back the more Victory's flaws are glaring tbh.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Oh wow I had no idea this was coming out so soon! Too invested in Blade&Soul at the moment, but will definitely buy and put it on my backlog.

Volcynika

Anyone's LE shipped? They said on or before Feb 2nd they will ship them out, but seems more and more like they are shipping them on the release date. :/

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Glad the shares are more simple now.

Anyone's LE shipped? They said on or before Feb 2nd they will ship them out, but seems more and more like they are shipping them on the release date. :/

My order status is still stuck at awaiting payment. According to idea factory intl twitter account they are processing it soon.

That feeling when you realise you're in Europe and have to wait an extra 10 more days :(

Oh well, at least I've got the LE version on order, worth it for the Umio plushie.

Gradon

I've got 10 more days to finish Re;birth 3 and view its apparent tie-in content before I get my LE! Really excited for this, just a bit bummed about Tara Strong and small dub but I'll persevere. Loving everything shown so far and it's good to hear the OST is the best!

Lockon

Forgot this is coming out...I still have all the spin-offs on my backlog that I want to finish first (Noire game and U).

And I have to play Digimon first anyway!

The release date for this game literally sneaked up on me, much like almost every Neptunia game since the first one.

I'm excited once I get my copy in a few days, though between this and Project X Zone 2 coming out later in the month, I worry about the amount of free time I'll have to divide up between these games.

HGH

Banned
Nice job SirTapTap! Thanks for taking the time to make the OT and clarifying so many details.

Looking forward to seeing everyone enjoy the new game. Too bad about the lack of dubs, but it sure beats RB3's silent treatment. I also feel G-Dimension was more voiced than Z-Dimension by comparison but that might be the abundance of scenes in the latter.

I'm just glad VA Mariko Honda found more work. So count me in it later on for that and that ONLY .
Despite being a dub user for life, she has a very strong performance and a pretty great range in the game. One scene is particular is pretty memorable because even when I didn't understand the text, she carried it across amazingly well.

Ultimadrago

Despite being a dub user for life, she has a very strong performance and a pretty great range in the game. One scene is particular is pretty memorable because even when I didn't understand the text, she carried it across amazingly well.

Oh man, that's great to hear. Thanks for the impressions~ :D

zhixson

So on a scale from one to awful, how bad is this game as an entry point to the series? I want to get into it but playing through everything else first seems daunting and this one has that shiny newness to it.

Ryuukan

50 cents for JP voices

free dual audio party is over guys

edit: should change that in the op

edit 2: maybe a mistake?

Vanguard

Has to be an error surely? They did say it was going to be free o_O
Also see it's 1.2GB and with the game being 7.1GB... pfft no idea what they're doing, strange.

Also on it's store page "8GB minimum save size", haha, wut?

edit: On there FB they posted

Alongside this, we have some same-day DLC for you all! Original Japanese Voiceover, Histy's Item Trial Set, Histy's Item Beginner Set will be out for free download. Additionally, the Nightwear Pack will be available to download for just 0.99 today!

So defo seems to be an error. Plus it says 0.99 and they're all 0.50.

Tohsaka

Hope they get the Japanese voice thing fixed today. 50 cents is nothing, but I'd rather not waste money if I don't have to.

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
I had to go to work right after I unpacked the limited edition of the game.......

Just saw the Jap voiceover DLC error though. Hopefully its fixed by the time I get home.

PK Gaming

The game looks like a massive step up from the previous titles. Psyched to try it out

In 2020 when I can finally afford a PS4

My email with the tracking number said the label was made Jan 27, but there's been zero movement on the number at all. I've been furiously updating the USPS page to watch for movement.

Reality: it'll probably be in my post box when I get home, because USPS is... slow about updating tracking numbers.

jjasso21

Ah well, I missed out on the ordering the Limited Edition. I'll at least get the normal version. Its looking good, but I still need to beat Victory first.

Top Bottom