• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what is the worst game you've ever played?

keraj37

That looks like SimCity (2013).

Ah yes, sorry for mistake. I was fooled by really similar UI functionality design. I just thought it uses some plugin to change how it looks.

ingame_16x9.jpg

Bitanator

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters for snes, my brother and I saved up to buy it, and I cried when I realized it was a steaming pile of shit

nkarafo

Its not worth mentioning the games that were so bad, you only played a few minutes and never looked back. For me it's about the worst games you spent a significant amount of time on them, going at least 50% through.

So my pick is OtherM. Sure, there are worst games out there and on it's own it's not a bad game but as a Metroid, it might as well be the most disappointing. I played all the way through because i wanted it to get better, but it never did. Well not during the main story at least. The small part after you finish the main story was decent.

Overall, OtherM is a game so bad for me that it's the only one i would like to forget.

hao chi

Probably Enter the Matrix. I liked it as a kid, but I'm scared to go back and play it again since I'd probably hate it now.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

KORNdoggy

The Incredible Hulk: The Pantheon Saga on the PSone

that's the first one that pops into my head. i don't really play "bad" games now and haven't for a while.

I have 3 choices. First is Daikatana on PC. Granted I didn't get too far in it but I genuinely tried to give it a shot. I literally kept getting lost in the first few minutes of the game.

Second is Evoland. I bought it because I heard it was an interesting indie game where it evolves through the history of adventure games like Zelda. Turns out the first few minutes are Zelda-like then it becomes a Final Fantasy VII circlejerk. It's the only game I've refunded on Steam.

Third is a fairly unknown game called Plain Sight. It came out on Steam forever ago and I bought it in one of my first Steam sales for probably $2.50 to $5. It was a multiplayer game where everyone is a robot and you fight somehow. There were like 5 people playing back in 2010, so I can't imagine it's gone up. I would've refunded it but it fell out of the criteria by several years, so this is the only game I had on Steam that I deleted from my account. I paid money for it and told Steam that I don't want this linked to my library of 500 games.

Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City. This game is literally.... it would have been..... absolutely trash had it come out during the PS1 era. Instead, it came out last gen and had some of the most archaic, stapled together mechanics I've ever seen in a shooter. Utter garbage in every sense of the word. I couldn't even finish it. I don't even need to discuss the bugs and glitches. And on top of all of that... it was MIND NUMBINGLY boring. Just boring. Even with friends.

And man.... I actually really liked Brink. After the week 1 patch went up the game played nice and smooth and was a blast. It sure didn't live up to the expectations of being an engaging campaign shooter, but the MP was still fun as hell.

Dunkley

I mean while hype wise MGSV was such a huge letdown, my vote goes to the Need For Speed reboot honestly.

I mean it plays okay, don't get me wrong, but it was the only game I could not handle the cutscenes of to the point where I was contemplating destroying my console.

Also Sonic 4. I know some people like Ep2 but as much as I tried to like it, I just couldn't. Sonic CD did well to flush out that bad taste tho since CD is legit as fuck.

Sakujou

Banned
mirrors edges catalyst. the first game stunned me. this reboot lost my. interest after 15minutes of playing and one game crash. this is a console game, why does it crash?

no mans sky= so many game crashes.

no more heroes for ps3=loading times and no real additional content(boss mode from nmh2) +worse graphics than on wii. and i fucking loved the shit out of the wii version....

Steroyd

Shaq Fu.

Shaq fucking Fu.

Do I even need to explain further? My god, I can't believe I was exposed to that shit before I played Street Fighter 2.

This:
Superman64box.jpg

or this:
81rH9Yxvr2L._SL1500_.jpg

I was alot more disappointed by Superman 64 though, given I was 9 or 10 at the time. I remember thinking "Am I doing something wrong? Is this the training level or the intro?" I never even played it enough to get to the parts where you fight things or walk around.

eizarus

Banned
Borderlands 2. Bought it on a Steam sale for dirt cheap after seeing comments on IGN (the only community I used at the time) about how funny it is and how good the gameplay is. Turned out pretty shit in both aspects.

While Superman 64 (AKA Superman becomes a circus clown and flies through a series of rings) is terrible, it's probably some shovelware game I don't remember on the NES. There were a lot of terrible games on the system that just controlled even worse that I can't remember.

Ilmyr

Uncharted - Drakes Fortune. I had high expectations, though gameplay was a tremendous disappointment for me. Its a concatenation of obviously well-defined areas that feature three different playstyles: exploration, shooting, sneaking (ok some puzzles too...) which rotate over the entire game.

The level design kills surprises.
Unfortunately this has become Naughty Dogs signature, and probably the best reason why i wasn't able to complete any of their games... not even The Last of Us. I really tried to complete it.
Uncharted 4 follows the same pattern, but i find the story and cutscenes so good that it outshines the gameplay.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Fugitive Hunter: War on Terror was also really horrible. A janky PS2 FPS whose main gimmick was you can get into a fistfight with Bin Laden.

Brandson

I've been playing games since the C64, so I've played some stinkers over the years. Bandai in particular caused endless misery with some of their 80's titles, but my answer to this question is and forever will be: Dr. Chaos (NES).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/dr-chaos

Looking at the screenshots, you might think this is an early interesting-looking Metroidvania game. Especially in 1988-1989, its promise is kind of exciting even. If you actually play it, those thoughts will quickly evaporate within minutes. The gameplay is torturously repetitive, the controls frustrating, the music excruciating. And if you manage to learn how to compensate for all of the game's numerous design flaws, what is your reward for hours of suffering? As a kid, I managed to power through all of the pain and actually complete it, only to be greeted by the most deeply unsatisfying ending any game could have:

drchaos-4.png

That is all you get. You may now turn off your NES and re-evaluate why you just did that to yourself.

The Simpsons: Bart Versus the Juggernauts on Game Boy. Just try to get past the first level. I had Game Boy when I was like... 5, and every game was exciting to take home, but this is the only one I remember as being truly disappointing.

Brofield

Probably Pokemon Channel. I mean, I got this as a gift for Christmas, and I can't believe it took less than a day to unlock everything in the game. Apparently I was not the target audience with it, but still it seemed insulting to my 12 year old intelligence that it was so simple.

Anything else I played I likely rented or borrowed and just can't remember if I liked it or not.

sugarless

Oh boy... I've played some pretty bad games.

Now this one isn't technically the -worst- I've ever played, but it's the game I hated my time with it the most.

GUSP7F.png

Is that the real packshot? Are the back of box marketing lines really just cut short like that? For everything except German, ironically?? If so just wow.

Elman

I've played several of the usual suspects from the NES/Genesis era, and I certainly consider them the worst games I've ever played. Objectively, my only other recent contender would be FFXIV 1.0.

But I'll never hate those games as much as I hate Devil May Cry 2 and Legend of Dragoon.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Resident Evil

Neither of these games I could stomach for more than 5 minutes. Technically, I spent more than 5 minutes with Resident Evil. I went up to the Playstation to make sure the controller was properly plugged in.

Diabolical

Neo Member
Hmm, let's see... (there are so many candidates).

Off the top of my head, I'd have to say Total Recall for the Nintendo Entertainment System. One of the worst I've ever played, personally.

Then again, it was my fault for giving too much time to every game under the sun during those years.

KraytarJ

Sonic 06. It wasn't even close to being done, and because of that it stands out to me for completely lacking any sort of game feel or accurate feedback.

Shogun Empires DS. Hopefully the lack of other mentions on here means that few other people suffered it. It really is dismal - I recommend everyone read some reviews of it.

Honourable mentions:

Rise of the Robots - fortunately I bought this cheaply.
Turok 2 (GBC)
Big Run (SNES)

The worst game I've played this generation is probably Drive Club, although it's about two years since I last played it. I'm sure there are worse games, but I choose more carefully now.

Top Bottom