• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what is the worst game you've ever played?

Hmm, during my teenage years and onward I've vetted my games well enough that none of those would really qualify as beating my childhood tragedies, so to the best of my memory I'll peg it between these three:

Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind (Genesis) - I got this in a Biway as a kid because my family's poor, and I played a lot of it because of how sadistically punishing it was and because I was a kid, kids are stubborn. What the hell kind of platformer character dies from running too fast or falling too high? Ugh. I think I made it to the final level, but I never beat it.

Mario's Time Machine (SNES) - Another Biway home run. It had Mario in it and was about time travel, it should be awesome shouldn't it? While most people remember the Mario edutainment titles like Mario Teaches Typing and Mario is Missing, this one seems to fall into being a bit more obscure, and as a 7 or 8 year old with no knowledge on American history this game was absolute impenetrable garbage. Basically the entirety of this game was trying to brute force valid dates in the time machine in the museum room and doing the surfing mini-game that you have to do (which represents the time machine going through time? I really don't get it), and sometimes there were fill in the blank history test pages with a list of like 20 different things you could fit into each of the many blanks. This game was god damn impossible. The worst Sonic steered me wrong at that point in my life was Sonic Spinball, but at least that was an actual game. Mario scarred me.

The Uncanny X-Men (NES) - Rented this once. It was just grey and miserable.

arigato

ride to hell retribution. so glad i didnt have to pay for it. (no, i did not pirate it)
This along with Nuts and Bolts, Simpsons skating game plus Terminator Salvation are some of the worst "games" I have played.
Borderlands 1 and 2 aren't terrible but they were mediocre.

colonelpork

Neo Member
dragon-ball-z-ultimate-battle-22-usa.jpg

Lil' 12 year old me saw this on the shelf of an EB Games, and was amazed because he thought it was a brand new game hot on the heels of DBZ Budokai (even if it was on PS1). So, being the big DBZ fan I was, I spent my allowance on it, and...........yuck. I think I came back to it many months later trying to play it with a friend, unlocking the characters, because we didn't have anything else better to do apparently. But those moments were torturous. I still remember those ugly fighting stages like it was yesterday.

Teeuwen

Banned
That piece of shit Simpsons game on NES always sticks out when people ask this question, but I'm pretty sure I played worse on NES or Atari.

QOPNa43.jpg

I guess it sticks out because I was a huge Simpsons fan as a kid so I stuck to it and kept playing it. Or trying to anyways.

I remember renting this from blockbuster back in the day... Man that was a mistake. I think the first level had you finding purple objects to cover up if I remember correctly... For the life of me I could not find them all.

Gah! I remember it being one of the first times I was truly frustrated with a game.

Last Action Hero for the SNES.
Looks worse then some NES games, boring slow gameplay.
Will always hold a special place of hatred because I traded in some games I liked for it.

When you compare it to other games releases the same year it looks even worse, Aladdin and Empire Strikes Back came out same year.

Manzanas

Neo Member
Zombi U.
I was a lurker on gaf back when this game came out. I remember seeing lots of people saying not to trust the reviews and that the game was actually great.
Well, I learned a very important lesson to never trust gaf on game critique ever again (unless its from someone I share certain qualities with.)
I should have stuck with my gut and just bought New Super Mario Bros Wii U. It may have been the same old Mario with nothing new, but at least I would have had fun with it.

Tagyhag

Nightcaster 2 Equinox

I got it for free and still felt ripped off. I remember it being extremely bland, extremely muddy, and not having an ounce of originality on it.

Crayon

Sonic 06, Cybersled on ps1, and rise of the robots are the worst things that surprised me. I think I've played a lot of really terrible things knowing they were going to be terrible tho.

Doc_Drop

Yes I can honestly say that I find both of those games to be truly atrocious in every way.

Your disappointment or resentment cannot really justify trying to say they're truly terrible games, but your feelings are clearly strong on the matter so sucks to be you I guess. I don't disregard the lack of polish in the games, but I can't honestly take your opinion seriously. Likely you'd think the same of me for holding FO3 in high regard

For 15 year old me it was Gunvalkyrie. Bought it brand new for my Xbox after it got a 9.0 from IGN and it was impossible for me to play.

Joel_Dawson

Neo Member
From a pure gameplay perspective nothing made me rage more than Star Fox Zero. Still have issues with the controls and haven't beaten the third mission. The fact that you couldn't turn the motion controls off just left me so confused.

From a pure gameplay perspective nothing made me rage more than Star Fox Zero. Still have issues with the controls and haven't beaten the third mission. The fact that you couldn't turn the motion controls off just left me so confused.
Star Fox Zero is a legitimate contender in this for me. Especially coming from names as respected as Nintendo & Platinum. It's not just bad, it barely even functions. The core aiming mechanism is so bad, the need to recalibrate was assigned to a face button. Fixing the broken motion tracking is a gameplay mechanic.
Not to mention the insulting game length, terrible structure, and absolutely maddening dual-screen bullshit. It's a game so bad, the Starfox series deserves to die at its hands. Fuck that game.

But not as much as Just Cause 3 on the XBox ONE. Jesus Christ. Not only is it a terrible sequel to the single greatest open world game ever made, it drops to frame rates in the SINGLE GODDAMN DIGITS. Loading screens put a minute break between ANY action that requires a reload. It's possible, if not likely, that you will hit a ten minute loading screen on opening. Oh, and it's only been made worse by the progressive updates to fit in DLC.
But don't worry, it's fine. You can make the game run fine on console - if you use BRUTE FUCKING FORCE to make it acceptable via the PS4 Pro's Boost mode. Now go out and buy the Gold edition, on stores this Spring. Fuck that game, fuck Avalanche NYC, and fuck both console manufacturers for not putting their goddamn foot down and protecting their consumers from this outright scam operation of a product.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shadow of the Beast for Turbo Duo. Go right at the beginning of the game, then you climb down a ladder and you can't get back up to it, nor are you able to progress. You are effectively stuck and have to reset the game. What you were supposed to do was go left at the beginning, first. There are also a ton of other places in the game where you can get permanently stuck if you messed up. Horrible game design.

At least it has some surreal enemies and cool looking parallax.

Pirates for NES is also a confusing mess of a game with great boxart. Hydlide, Super Hydlide and Virtual Hydlide are all each terrible, have no idea how this series got so many games. Then there's the usual suspects - ET, Crazy Bus, the Acclaim/LJN licensed NES games.

Takedown: Red Sabre

Lame tactical first-person shooter with no real planning features, terrible controls and movement, an enemy AI that is both awful and deadly accurate at the same time. There was absolutely nothing redeeming about this game.

loudbill

Wario masters of disguise on the DS. Mainly because it was the first game i ever got at its launch, and it was dissapointing as hell.

Servbot24

Banned
Shadow of Mordor. It looked bad to me in previews but I gave it a shot due to some GOTY awards. Literally every aspect of that game is a complete disgrace. Infuriatingly horrible game - not because it's obtuse or difficult, but because it is so fucking offensive in its design language, how utterly disrespectful and insulting it is to the player. To this day I still can't get over how bad it is.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

Turned me off to the series. Bought it day one and returned it the same week.

That's a crying shame considering that the rest of the series is fantastic. What you played was not indicative of the rest of the series.

Your disappointment or resentment cannot really justify trying to say they're truly terrible games, but your feelings are clearly strong on the matter so sucks to be you I guess. I don't disregard the lack of polish in the games, but I can't honestly take your opinion seriously. Likely you'd think the same of me for holding FO3 in high regard

I would, but #differentstrokes
I'll allow you to have that opinion

Objectively and personally, Shadow the Hedgehog by far. It wasn't even a fun hateplay - just a weird blend of boring and actively irritating. That goddamn level with the carrier you have to shoot down haunts me.

On a purely personal level, Phantasmagoria was boring as fuck. Phantasmagoria 2's a riot - fantastic for playing through with a friend due to the bizarre sense of intrigue and horribly handled "mature" themes that are thrown out the window by the end of the game - but I tried playing the first in the same context and it was an incredibly dull experience. Puzzles are bland, the story takes forever to ramp up in any capacity, and there's little in the way of payoff.

I'm sure I've played some shovelware or licensed games that were worse, but Devil May Cry 2 stands out for me. What an aggressively bad videogame. My heart goes out to those who grinded the Platinum trophy for it on PS3.

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny (PS3)

Tides_of_Destiny.jpg

absolutely loved Frontier... purchased this day one and it was hot garbage.. less then 2 months later the game was like $19.99.... so bad.

Mihos

Gold Member
Outside of [phone games, this is the worst I have by far.

Way_of_the_Warrior_cover.png

It is so bad/glitch/broken... honestly it is also one of my most played simply because I have to put it in just to prove it is a Naughty Dog game and to show how bad a game can actually be. I could play half the games in this thread before the loading is done just for the pre-fight "Gonna mess you up!" audio loads. Even the still shots lag... look at this shit... LOOK AT IT

89695-Way_of_the_Warrior_(1994)(Universal)(US)[!][U1SB1002_R1H]-3.png

Batman: Dark Tomorrow

Batman_-_Dark_Tomorrow_Coverart.png

I was huge Batman fan growing up, and I thought the game looked awesome. I rented it from Blockbuster for the Xbox. In addition to being not fun, the game was utterly broken. The straw that broke the camel's back came when I spent hours stuck in an area where I had already killed all the enemies unable to progress. Eventually, I had to just give up.

Microsoft Soccer. It had a glitch where if you ran to the byline and shot, even from right by the corner flag, you scored. It was actually easier to score from there than in the penalty area. Just a dreadful dreadful game

Edit: https://youtu.be/h-ilOdnFbC4

Now I've seen this again I'm twitching in anger

eso76

Dude, I had a C64 back in the day and some of stuff I played came on those tapes with 30 games on them you'd buy at your newsagent's.

You wouldn't believe the shit I've seen.
I hardly do myself.

James Pond Super Aquatic Games on Snes.

Got this and Starwing when I got my snes for xmas.
I did enjoy the other james Pond games on Amiga etc so I can see why my parents got me it but my god it was terrible. Boring sports and far too easy, think I seen all the game had to offer in a weekend

MilkyJoe

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

Turned me off to the series. Bought it day one and returned it the same week.

Yep, fecking Dogfight mode, fine I thought, I just won't engage it and some enemies were impossible to shoot down without it. So disappointing after it's predecessor.

It was probably some game on Game Boy that I played when I was younger but besides that it would have to be CoD MW3. Despised that game and promptly sold it. That was also the last CoD game I ever got and don't regret a thing.

Great game, IMO. I still consider it my favorite licensed game. What didn't you like about [Yo! Noid]?

I may have named it unfairly based on sour memories of playing it. I found it hugely frustrating, even for an NES game. Regularly got to the same part of the map only to die and lose all progress. As for design, I'm sure I've played worse games, including Bart vs. The Space Mutants, which others have mentioned in this thread. I also hated Top Gun.

DJ_Lae

Hour of Victory.

I actually bought it because of Gerstmann's review (1.something) and morbid curiousity. I have a small amount of fondness for it, actually, because as broken and horrible as it is there is some amount of amusement to be found in making fun of it. It's not boring, certainly.

I did not finish it, however, because the second or third tank section was beyond broken, and the clipping resulted in enough frustration that I had to put it aside.

But everything else was hilariously bad, from the AI that would often just stop working to enemies shooting their guns at you while facing in another direction and tanks that would pop 90 degrees into the air at the slightest bump.

Top Bottom