• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InFAMOUS [Mafia] [OT] No Good Karma...

*Splinter

Ok I understand you now, but this bit:
In regards to this, I was refering to him roving through the posts of people speculating about the setup to form reads.
is what I actually needed examples of. I don't know to what extent he scumread those people, but tbh even if he did its a pretty common mistake to conflate bad play with scummy play, especially on day one.

If he's just saying "these people are bad town or scum and we should lynch one of them" then yeah I wouldn't call that contradictory at all.

*Splinter

is what I actually needed examples of. I don't know to what extent he scumread those people, but tbh even if he did its a pretty common mistake to conflate bad play with scummy play, especially on day one.
OTOH it's an easier mistake for scum to make than town, so I guess I see where you're coming from.

Looking at the post count, it seems that conversation is being dominated by a select few, while many others (myself included) are under the 10 post limit.

On the one hand, people are making scum reads with a handful of posts to work with, and on the other, proliferate posters are making zero impact in the game.

DAY 1 CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

Ri'Orius (2)
Dusk Soldier 349
cabot 457

Dusk Soldier (1)
batsnacks 590

Blargonaut (1)
Bronx-Man 95 296
Kawl_USC 292 508
Zeusy 551

Flame_AC (1)
Timeaisis 523

AbsolutBro (1)
cabot 194 457
*Splinter 592

TheGoddamn (1)
Ri'Orius 407

CCS (1)
Ri'Orius 159 407
Bronx-Man 555

Zeusy (1)
Blargonaut 429

cabot (1)
acohrs (Dead) 201 230
CCS 352

Kalor (1)
OceanicAir 614

acohrs (0): Kawl_USC 210 292

OceanicAir (0): batsnacks 135 589

Kyanrute (0): *Splinter 234 592

Timeaisis (0): Kawl_USC 508 570

No active vote for Day 1: AbsolutBro, Flame_AC, isaacnukem, Kalor, Kawl_USC (has previously voted), Kyanrute, Lone_Prodigy, SkyOdin, TheGoddamn, WaffleTaco, Zippedpinhead

Day 1 Postcount: *Splinter 46, AbsolutBro 17, batsnacks 65, Blargonaut 73, Bronx-Man 31, cabot 80, CCS 29, Dusk Soldier 16, Flame_AC 8, isaacnukem 25, Kalor 3, Kawl_USC 27, Kyanrute 30, Lone_Prodigy 4, OceanicAir 8, Ri'Orius 8, SkyOdin 10, TheGoddamn 2, Timeaisis 24, WaffleTaco 10, Zeusy 10, Zippedpinhead 5

Day 1 ends:
pin_1501797600.png

Automated vote tally here

12 votes for majority

Flame_AC

Hm, I won't be around for end of day, latest I'll be around is ~5 hrs before day's end. My vote will be solid then.

So I don't think Kalor has posted at all, what did he say on those three mythical posts of his?

Also, all this meta talk is making my head hurt.

Ri'Orius

So I don't think Kalor has posted at all, what did he say on those three mythical posts of his?

Also, all this meta talk is making my head hurt.

Well batsnacks isn't going to last long.

Maybe. Though if I was scum I would want to get rid of them quickly.

It would have been nice if Acohrs held their role for a later day but it makes Day 1 more interesting.

Fun fact: you can use the forum search to find all posts by a particular user in a particular thread.

Fun fact: you can use the forum search to find all posts by a particular user in a particular thread.
Thanks a lot, pal! Maybe, if possible, can I suggest adding post histories? I'm not sure if you can build off a URL so that it only looks on this thread.

Ri'Orius

Thanks a lot, pal! Maybe, if possible, can I suggest adding post histories? I'm not sure if you can build off a URL so that it only looks on this thread.

I believe this is what you're looking for. You get there from the magnifying glass button at the top of the thread, near the Facebook/Twitter links.

Yes, cabot, tech support is not helping to scum hunt. Clearly I'm just inflating my post count here, possibly with scumbuddy isaac's help. You got that soul read on us.

I believe this is what you're looking for. You get there from the magnifying glass button at the top of the thread, near the Facebook/Twitter links.

Yes, cabot, tech support is not helping to scum hunt. Clearly I'm just inflating my post count here, possibly with scumbuddy isaac's help. You got that soul read on us.
Yeah, I tried doing stuff there but it seems they don't accept GET requests.

I appreciate the help, Moss! Thanks :)

Now on to the other problem, who to vote for. This day end is going to be crazy.

SkyOdin

I respect your opinion. I don't think such speculation is completely worthless, but I agree it's not particularly valuable.

I would just counter that on day one there's not much that can be said of value. I could post some gifs, I could nitpick people's shitposts: both of those seem more useless than fluff talk, IMO.

I've been trying to shake trees with some votes. Hasn't worked. In the past I believe I've tried more elaborate accusations, but those never seemed to work either: I just can't fake the conviction necessary to put pressure on someone.

I'll see if I can find a better means of contributing, but... it's day one.
I don't agree with your general point here. I in general think day 1 can be fairly valuable, even if only for figuring stuff out down the road. However, in this specific game, we have more to work with than joke posts, fluff discussions, and gifs.

He had a cop sacrifice himself and clear another player as town.

It isn't much on its own, but it is a substantial development. The normal day 1 excuse that "nothing has happened yet" doesn't apply to us. We have something meaningful to discuss.

I think cabot is on the right track in trying to draw information out of peopke's reactions to acohrs' claim and subsequent day action. I am inclined to believe CCS's defense, but there is merit in pursuing that line of logic.

Now, Ri'Orius, what did you think about acohrs' decision to use his ability? Do you think it was the right move? Have you noticed anyone make any odd reactions to those events? If you were the cop, who would you have investigated?

I think acohrs did that because he wanted to play on the other game. Quite unfortunate it had to be him that got that role, and it's unfair to us.

If he's just saying "these people are bad town or scum and we should lynch one of them" then yeah I wouldn't call that contradictory at all.

---

This is the read list where he switches gears to Ri'Orius and CCS. Before this point in the game, his main suspects were AbsolutBro, and TheGoddamn.

Notice how he never calls what they're doing "bad play." But two times he uses the term "suspicious."

He follows that up with a vote on Ri'Orius, which I take to mean these reads were supposed to taken seriously.

Do you not think a godfather is more likely as we have two roles that publically confirm alignment?

Anyway, the mains suspects overnight were Ri, CCS and Dusk:

I feel like this is an awkward interaction joke between scum mates.

Fluff explanation. CCS has posted very little of worth in this game and he has a vote on me which I'm unsure if it's a joke or not.

Time is here because he's just here but he's making everyone aware he's just here. He's also seems upset no one has voted for him. I don't think he's scum, but odd behaviour nonetheless.

Ri joining the fluff mob. Ri in general has felt like he's been coasting, just voting some inactives and a couple of posts i just don't really get anything to read from.

See this would be ringing massive alarm bells normally, but after anime I can't discount this as town dusk muddying up the waters for...reasons.

I think Ri and CCS are pretty suspicious.

---

This is the post of CCS that he included in his read. All CCS is saying here is that he doesn't think it's a good idea to try to deduce the PRs in play based on meta-knowledge of InFamous. This is Cabot's original point mind you, but for some reason it looks suspicious when CCS says it.

So the first two games the protagonist had electricity based powers, and other characters with their own powers. Most recent game introduced a new protagonist with the ability to use other peoples powers and new villains. So I wouldn't rely too much on the game for meta purposes.

---

Here is the post of Ri'Orius that his read list included. Quite frankly Cabot never puts an argument forth about why this post in particular is scummy. Just describes it as hard to read.

Those descriptions were mainly about the first two games, while all the fluff we've seen so far has been from the third (titled Second Son).

SS has the power-copier protagonist. His brother is the cop we've already seen; the Innocent Child is his grandma IIRC. The other three big name characters that come to mind are:

-Abigail "Fetch" Walker. One of two NPCs the protagonist recruits (and gets to copy Neon powers from). She's killing drug dealers when we meet her to avenge her dead brother. Probably a neutral Serial Killer role.

-Eugene Sims. The other recruited NPC (Video powers). Harasses the DUP, a bit too brutally for a good-aligned protag's tastes. Not sure what he'd translate to in this game.

-Brooke Augustine. The Big Bad, leader of the DUP. Has Concrete powers, which she can share with her underlings (and later involuntarily with the protag). Uses them to cripple people. Possibly Bulletproof, or Jailer.

I'd also point out that regardless of whether the hero is Good or Bad, he's always against the DUP (Department of Unified Protection, anti-super government police). Based on the fluff we've seen I'm speculating that the scum are DUP, and the Delsin role is always anti-scum. Possibly a choice between Town and neutral, but unlikely to turn to scum. I'd guess he's Town, and has some ability to turn Fetch and Eugene from Neutral to Town.

---

voting for Ri'Orius is doubly suspicious because it's a sheep of my own vote on Ri'Orius. To me it comes across like he wanted someone to have 2 votes to their name and felt voting for Ri'Orius would cause the least amount of friction.

I have a suggestion for this voting phase that will promptly be dismissed, but I want to put it forth anyway.

Others have mentioned this already, but it's common in the final hours of votes for the voting phase to get hectic.

There are many players that will take a look at the voting totals, and then pick betweeen maybe the four or five players that are likely to get lynched.

I think instead we should look at the entire player base and only vote out someone that you genuinely think is scum.

And please don't vote someone out to save someone else that "think" is town. Even if that player is batsnacks, just let them be lynched.

It'll be much easier to hold players accountable to their voting patterns if we don't create senseless bandwagons that make it easy for scum to hide their votes.

If you're really not sure, or don't think anyone is scum yet. Just don't vote. Or vote "no lynch."

I'll unvote for now and comeback with my top suspect upon thinking about it.

vote: Ri'Orius

batsnacks

Dusk Soldier

In your opinion. Why did they ask that question here in the main thread instead of the scum chat?

Also, who are you planning to target tonight with your ability?

is literally

why batsnacks? He hasn't done anything wrong? or are you claiming doctor?

If you are the doc, wouldn't Kawl be the more logical choice?

openly mafia

I have a suggestion for this voting phase that will promptly be dismissed, but I want to put it forth anyway.

Others have mentioned this already, but it's common in the final hours of votes for the voting phase to get hectic.

There are many players that will take a look at the voting totals, and then pick betweeen maybe the four or five players that are likely to get lynched.

I think instead we should look at the entire player base and only vote out someone that you genuinely think is scum.

And please don't vote someone out to save someone else that "think" is town. Even if that player is batsnacks, just let them be lynched.

It'll be much easier to hold players accountable to their voting patterns if we don't create senseless bandwagons that make it easy for scum to hide their votes.

If you're really not sure, or don't think anyone is scum yet. Just don't vote. Or vote "no lynch."

vote: Ri'Orius

like just straight up blatantly pushing mafia agendas without a care in the world

Kawl_USC

Vote: Dusk Solider

yea holy shit.

i was gonna try to not be salty over the shit you pulled in anime mafia, but nah. either you are scum or are putting forth strategies that are entirely anti town as town again.

either, its a positive result voting you out today.

batsnacks

Yeah like there's a large pool of mislynches for mafia to work. The game would be much easier overall if half the game got voted out today.

Dusk Soldier is mafia way more often than any next most likely person. The gap is very big.

batsnacks

splinter said something important

conflating bad play with scummy play is how mafia makes easy cases I do it all the time as scum and it's really effective because it can be hard to tell the difference.. This is another reason splinter is mafia sometimes. His read on AB, when I think AB has posted sincere thoughts, can be a case of mafia framing bad play as scummy play.

Regarding Dusk Soldier though. Dusk Soldier's top suspect is someone he joke(?) voted in his second post and otherwise hasn't shown any progression on. and this
voting for Ri'Orius is doubly suspicious because it's a sheep of my own vote on Ri'Orius. To me it comes across like he wanted someone to have 2 votes to their name and felt voting for Ri'Orius would cause the least amount of friction.
doesn't seem sincere.

batsnacks

what I mean to say is that I don't think Dusk Soldier should sincerely believe that splinter was sheeping his vote on Ri'Orius, who Dusk Soldier joke(?) voted, and didn't show progression on at all. There's no sincere reason to think splinter is sheeping there that I can think of.

idk if it was clear

Ri'Orius

I don't agree with your general point here. I in general think day 1 can be fairly valuable, even if only for figuring stuff out down the road. However, in this specific game, we have more to work with than joke posts, fluff discussions, and gifs.

He had a cop sacrifice himself and clear another player as town.

It isn't much on its own, but it is a substantial development. The normal day 1 excuse that "nothing has happened yet" doesn't apply to us. We have something meaningful to discuss.

I think cabot is on the right track in trying to draw information out of peopke's reactions to acohrs' claim and subsequent day action. I am inclined to believe CCS's defense, but there is merit in pursuing that line of logic.

Now, Ri'Orius, what did you think about acohrs' decision to use his ability? Do you think it was the right move? Have you noticed anyone make any odd reactions to those events? If you were the cop, who would you have investigated?

First, I'm not saying that day one is completely useless. But I don't think the value of day one comes directly from the jokes, fluff discussion or #scumtell nitpicks. I think the value arises indirectly out of those as the players interact, patterns emerge, alliances form, etc. But singling out fluff discussion as the One Scummiest Low-Value Content seems like an exaggeration.

I also recognize that making exaggerated, poorly-substantiated accusations is how one shakes trees and gets reactions. I'm not faulting cabot; I'm just doing my part of the dance.

As far as the acohrs business... I'm not sure there's a lot to say. The NK speculation has been said (and I do think it's valuable: keep in mind, this thread is Town Chat. Scum get to coordinate in their thread, we need to do so here. Our doctor and/or tracker could be new: pointing out the lines open to them costs us little but can really help). I do think he should've pulled the trigger at a more opportune moment, but I don't see how that's useful information to anyone. If I were a copikaze, I'd want to wait until either I was about to get lynched or there were two competing bandwagons (or one bandwagon I sincerely disagreed with). But I'd fear getting NK'ed waiting for the right moment and possibly err too far on the side of caution (although not as hard as acorhs did).

splinter said something important

conflating bad play with scummy play is how mafia makes easy cases I do it all the time as scum and it's really effective because it can be hard to tell the difference.. This is another reason splinter is mafia sometimes. His read on AB, when I think AB has posted sincere thoughts, can be a case of mafia framing bad play as scummy play.

Regarding Dusk Soldier though. Dusk Soldier's top suspect is someone he joke(?) voted in his second post and otherwise hasn't shown any progression on. and this

doesn't seem sincere.

I believe you misread Dusk's post. He's not saying I'm his "top suspect"; he said he'd come back with that later. He intended to unvote me with the strikethrough line; I don't know if that actually works that way?

With that in mind, I don't understand your assertion that cabot couldn't have been sheeping? Are you just saying that it's a dumb idea to sheep a joke vote? And that Dusk should realize cabot isn't that dumb?

That said:

VOTE: Dusk Soldier

I think batsnacks is exaggerating some of his evidence: Dusk's "who are you targeting?" fishing attempt seems like normal tree-shaking behavior, not scum earnestly looking for a doctor. But encouraging a No Lynch is blatantly anti-Town behavior. Could just be bad play rather than scum play (in fact, it's definitely bad play), but it's by far the scummiest thing we've seen.

i declare this the main wagon for I am "Betty" declarer of wagons

Vote: Dusk Solider

yea holy shit.

i was gonna try to not be salty over the shit you pulled in anime mafia, but nah. either you are scum or are putting forth strategies that are entirely anti town as town again.

either, its a positive result voting you out today.

Yeah, why not.

*snip*

I believe you misread Dusk's post. He's not saying I'm his "top suspect"; he said he'd come back with that later. He intended to unvote me with the strikethrough line; I don't know if that actually works that way?

With that in mind, I don't understand your assertion that cabot couldn't have been sheeping? Are you just saying that it's a dumb idea to sheep a joke vote? And that Dusk should realize cabot isn't that dumb?

That said:

I think batsnacks is exaggerating some of his evidence: Dusk's "who are you targeting?" fishing attempt seems like normal tree-shaking behavior, not scum earnestly looking for a doctor. But encouraging a No Lynch is blatantly anti-Town behavior. Could just be bad play rather than scum play (in fact, it's definitely bad play), but it's by far the scummiest thing we've seen.

COoB8zk.png

Flame_AC

Wow.I didn't think Dusk Soldier was the right target today, but after that post I'm certainly willing to consider it. This vote train happened very quickly though.

Vote: Bronx-Man

CCS

Banned
This feels off to me. That post by Dusk may have been a bit dodgy, but this feels like people piling onto the first suggested target because it's the easy thing to do.

Zeusy, WaffleTaco, Flame_AC; if Lone_Prodigy doesn't vote against Dusk Soldier and keep his vote there until the Day ends, what would you think the significance of that is?

Flame_AC

Zeusy, WaffleTaco, Flame_AC; if Lone_Prodigy doesn't vote against Dusk Soldier and keep his vote there until the Day ends, what would you think the significance of that is?

Just to be sure, you're asking that: if LP doesn't vote (since they don't have one placed yet) for Dusk Soldier, and just no votes, what would I (and the others) think? Maybe I'm just sleepy and read it wrong, but I dunno...

Just to be sure, you're asking that: if LP doesn't vote (since they don't have one placed yet) for Dusk Soldier, and just no votes, what would I (and the others) think? Maybe I'm just sleepy and read it wrong, but I dunno...

yes what would you think?

This feels off to me. That post by Dusk may have been a bit dodgy, but this feels like people piling onto the first suggested target because it's the easy thing to do.

Which post?

my only question would be what type of discussion do we have to do? I feel like I'm so out of the loop.

Alright. So we got 23 players in this game, see? Split into teams (Faction/Alignment)

A handful of them are Mafia/scum. The rest are Town, or Neutral. This thread's like an arena, see.

Or a room we're all locked in together.

and the key is in the Mafia's guts. So we have to talk them to death, yeah?

Such discussion involves questions; questions like, what did you eat for brunch or, could you vomit in the corner please??

Just remember the goal is to catch Mafia in a lie.

And people are more likely to lie when they're overwhelmed, hence

TEXT

The most basic way to "contribute", Zeusy, is to say your opinion(s) of the other players. That way, we can use them against you later, in a process called "scumhunting"

cabot

Good Morning.

1)Notice how he never calls what they're doing "bad play." But two times he uses the term "suspicious."

2)This is the post of CCS that he included in his read. All CCS is saying here is that he doesn't think it's a good idea to try to deduce the PRs in play based on meta-knowledge of InFamous. This is Cabot's original point mind you, but for some reason it looks suspicious when CCS says it.

3)Here is the post of Ri'Orius that his read list included. Quite frankly Cabot never puts an argument forth about why this post in particular is scummy. Just describes it as hard to read.

---

1) Bad play and suspiciousness are not mutually exclusive. Bad play is speculating on mechanics and not doing much else. Speculating on mechanics is a thing scum players do to appear like they are contributing when they are really not, hence it is suspicious.

2) There are two things to note here

a) this entire post is mechanics speculation, with an outlier sentence saying 'we shouldn't do this', CCS doesn't even try to rally round and bring up another non-mechanics based point. So it's not helpful just to say it.
b) This post was before I brought up CCS as a suspicious target. There was one single post up until this point where he talks about something game-related, which is when I asked him for reads. Everything else was just fluff.

So no, it doesn't contradict because CCS hadn't given anything worthwhile.

3) I don't say anything because it's a long ass post that's purely explaining Infamous plot. Did I need to? It's talking about the videogame. This is not a thread on inFAMOUS the videogame.

To call this a sheep vote is hilarious. Here's your vote followed by a reason you give Sky:

vote:Ri'Orius

He asked me to do it.

You then move on to asking about inFAMOUS' lore.

I voted a day later with a clearer reason. That's not what sheeping is.

Dusk you just condoned lynching a confirmed Town.

You're okay with us doing scum's job.

I feel that's the only point that hasn't been covered by others that is worth raising.

Sarcastic shade really helps your case.

also helps retorting as well

As I said, it's an insult to call that vote a sheeping vote. A sheep vote is just blindly following another. Dusk placed that vote down ages ago and then disappeared for a while. I gave actual reasons to vote you and then placed it. As for your points on speculation, just gonna have to disagree. Mechanics speculation is an easy thing for scum to latch on to, because it doesn't require lying to push other people onto the scum's desired target, and it is content in the game so the argument can be made that you're being useful to the cause.

I think it's pandering and in the earliest stage of the game, not fruitful cause the margin of error is so high.

Looking at the post count, it seems that conversation is being dominated by a select few, while many others (myself included) are under the 10 post limit.

On the one hand, people are making scum reads with a handful of posts to work with, and on the other, proliferate posters are making zero impact in the game.

Are you commentating this game now?

I mean I suggested you as a target before, along with Ri. So it isn't quite the first suggested target. Dusk is just being himself with his borderline insane town tactics.

cabot

I'd just like to say I re-digested CCS and I's interaction, along with AB's follow-up and I think this has a chance of being a clumsy scum backing up other scum exchange.

Why?

Because they both accuse me of going super meta hard, whereas I was perfectly clear that 'kill inactives' is a valid scum tactic to use, as it allows a mislynch with a reason that can't be argued too much, it isn't just related to CCS.

I don't even know what AB is talking about, he goes on some inane rant about using meta to judge players when that wasn't the case. I said CCS was being useless and going after LP felt like an easy target. He then proceeds to fuck off into the ether with nary a care in the world.

The whole thing is rank.

I'd just like to say I re-digested CCS and I's interaction, along with AB's follow-up and I think this has a chance of being a clumsy scum backing up other scum exchange.

Why?

Because they both accuse me of going super meta hard, whereas I was perfectly clear that 'kill inactives' is a valid scum tactic to use, as it allows a mislynch with a reason that can't be argued too much, it isn't just related to CCS.

I don't even know what AB is talking about, he goes on some inane rant about using meta to judge players when that wasn't the case. I said CCS was being useless and going after LP felt like an easy target. He then proceeds to fuck off into the ether with nary a care in the world.

The whole thing is rank.

oh so who would you vote against

Top Bottom