• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC performance thread

daxy

yeah, i know that, but Bungie told us that a 7700K/16GB/1080 ti could run it at 4K 60fps maxed out. it can't hold a solid 60fps can it? don't get mad at me. it's bungie who lied.

what you said didn't make any sense. if i'm saying it gets a certain performance at 4K then you can come in and argue with me by saying well i can run it under 4K and get 60fps lol. of course you can if it's not 4K. there is a 5% difference.

I'm sorry, but this is a weird assumption to make in the first place. Most benchmarks don't take into account MSAA because it's an outrageously demanding setting and not that representative of overall game performance. E.g. MSAA x 16 on a modern game would make most cards buckle.

hiryu64

Dropping from MSAA to SMAA gives a huge performance boost. In my experience, I saw a ~40fps increase by going down to SMAA.

For AO, dropping down to HDAO from 3DAO improves performance by 13%.

Another expensive setting is DoF. Going from Highest to High improves performance by 38%.

MSAA, 3DAO, or Highest DoF are not worth it at all. These should be the first settings anyone adjusts.

see above.

If you're not after an unwavering 120fps and wouldn't mind mild dips into the 90s or so, you shouldn't have any trouble with the highest settings sans MSAA (which currently doesn't work, anyway).
Thanks. Sounds like I may be able to get away with turning some of that stuff off, particularly AA, and downsampling from 1440p. I'll give that a try later.

Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; beta build)
Gamer Nexus (English; beta build)
Destiny 2 Beta: Performance Analysis
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Destiny_2_Beta/

1080.png

1440.png

2160.png

chinoXL

finally got to test this out, getting consistent 60's with everything maxed with FXAA at 3440x1440, V-Sync Off

i7-6700 OC'd to 4.5
GTX1080 OC'd +175
16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator

Just saw the performance post above, guess I'm in line with the above graph

Dropping from MSAA to SMAA gives a huge performance boost. In my experience, I saw a ~40fps increase by going down to SMAA.

For AO, dropping down to HDAO from 3DAO improves performance by 13%.

Another expensive setting is DoF. Going from Highest to High improves performance by 38%.

MSAA, 3DAO, or Highest DoF are not worth it at all. These should be the first settings anyone adjusts.
A lot of those Highest settings aren't worth it, I think most people would be better off dropping them and upping the render scale to combat the horrendous aliasing.

I was able to set the render scale to 135% on a GTX 1060, and hold a an very stable 60 fps with these settings:

The result, a very clean image for a mid-range card:

Edit: Forgot to mention that my base resolution is 1080p, and FOV is at the highest setting, 105.

I am. I run the game maxed out except I traded MSAA for SMAA and 3DAO for HDAO.

It's not a locked 60 fps. I get fps drops to lower 50 fps during heavy fights but it doesn't happen frequently. In fact, it happens once during the entire strike. Most of the time, you end up with 58-60 fps during exploration and 55-60 fps during most fights. If someone can suggest reducing a setting that could make it a locked 60 fps while being imperceptible to the eyes, I would appreciate it.

Spec is the following:

Latest Nvidia drivers
Win 10 64 bits
3770K @ 4.7ghz
16GB RAM DDR3 @ 2002 mhz
EVGA 1080TI black edition OC core 2062 mhz mem 12050 mhz

Just wanted to let everyone know that the highest setting for depth of field is a complete resource pig.

By dialing down the DoF setting from highest to high, I could shift ambiant occlusion from HDAO to 3DAO (highest setting) and get a locked 60 fps experience at 4K. The difference between high and highest for DoF, as far as I am concerned, isn't perceptible to the eyes during gameplay.

Basically, you can get locked 60fps at 4K max settings (AA set to SMAA since MSAA is currently bugged out, DoF set to high) with a 1080TI, at least with mine which is overclocked.

I need to wait for their CPU article for D2. So odd that my OC'd 6600K is still CPU limiting me at 1440p in the strike.

Starting to think I should have just gone the extra mile and put an i7 in my build. More and more games are starting to show signs of CPU limitations with even an overclocked i5

What frame rate does it dip to? I disabled the hyper threading on my i7 4790K and it was still running at 60+ fps. Although it's not quite the same as an i5 4690K as there are differences in the cache.

gypsygib

i5-6600k @4.4
16 GB RAM @ 3000
EVGA 1080 SC2 (factory stock)
on SSD

Setting at max but I switch down from MSAA to SMAA. FOV default.

1440p about 70-131 during gameplay. If I had to guess I'd say it averages low 90s.

Would love some more AA options. Nothing gets rid of all jaggies. This needs some combos.

Can people with i5 CPUs running at 1440p chime in how the performance is at the first part of the Strike where there's the huge battle between Fallen and Cabal right at the beginning? That's the part where I was seeing 100% usage across all 4 cores and drops to 30 FPS

What frame rate does it dip to? I disabled the hyper threading on my i7 4790K and it was still running at 60+ fps. Although it's not quite the same as an i5 4690K as there are differences in the cache.

It was dipping into the low 30's :/ and FPS didn't change with all settings dropped to low

Can people with i5 CPUs running at 1440p chime in how the performance is at the first part of the Strike where there's the huge battle between Fallen and Cabal right at the beginning? That's the part where I was seeing 100% usage across all 4 cores and drops to 30 FPS

I haven't tried 1440 yet but at 1080p I was at or above 60 at all times in the strike on an i5 4670k.

CPU usage was only around 50% I think. Generally increasing resolution doesn't increase CPU load but maybe this game is different. I'll try 1440 tonight and see how it works.

I haven't tried 1440 yet but at 1080p I was at or above 60 at all times in the strike on an i5 4670k.

CPU usage was only around 50% I think. Generally increasing resolution doesn't increase CPU load but maybe this game is different. I'll try 1440 tonight and see how it works.

Man that's so odd. I checked CPU-z while the game was running to see if my CPU was throttling down but it's at 4.2 GHz solid. I'm puzzled

gypsygib

I turned off framerate monitoring after the first mission but I noticed a big drop in frames during that part but I don't think anything close to 30. I do have GSYNC but 30 FPS with GSYNC still looks pretty bad.

i5-6600k at 4.4 and 16 GB RAM at 3000

kuYuri

yeah, i know that, but Bungie told us that a 7700K/16GB/1080 ti could run it at 4K 60fps maxed out. it can't hold a solid 60fps can it? don't get mad at me. it's bungie who lied.

what you said didn't make any sense. if i'm saying it gets a certain performance at 4K then you can come in and argue with me by saying well i can run it under 4K and get 60fps lol. of course you can if it's not 4K. there is a 5% difference.

Did Bungie actually say 4K/60fps maxed out? If I remember correctly from what I read, the PCs at events were set to medium settings to achieve 4K/60fps but I could be wrong.

Man that's so odd. I checked CPU-z while the game was running to see if my CPU was throttling down but it's at 4.2 GHz solid. I'm puzzled

Did you have Vsync on? I think Vsync in D2 isn't triple buffered, so if it drops even 1 fps below 60 it immediately cuts in half to 30. That might explain the dips you are seeing, but not the CPU usage really.

BNGames

With everything turned up at 1920x1080 on my rig im averaging 55FPS, im shocked. Latest drivers and this PC has almost no background processes running.

Benchmarking Video: https://youtu.be/ETF6oopDwQ8

PC Specs:
Fractal Design Node 804
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
Corsair h80i v2 Liquid Cooler
Intel Core i7-6700k 4GHz (Overclocked to 4.5GHz)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 GAMING iCX, 8GB GDDR5X (Overclocked to 2.1GHz Stable)
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Z170
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

tkFLwYyl.jpg

Did you have Vsync on? I think Vsync in D2 isn't triple buffered, so if it drops even 1 fps below 60 it immediately cuts in half to 30. That might explain the dips you are seeing, but not the CPU usage really.

Nope, no Vsync, I have a GSync monitor so Vsync in game is off. It wasn't dipping straight from 60 to 30, I was seeing 45, 37, 35, etc. at one point it hit 28 FPS.

Nope, no Vsync, I have a GSync monitor so Vsync in game is off. It wasn't dipping straight from 60 to 30, I was seeing 45, 37, 35, etc. at one point it hit 28 FPS.

That's really strange, I will have to test 1440 tonight after work and see how it goes.

With everything turned up at 1920x1080 on my rig im averaging 55FPS, im shocked. Latest drivers and this PC has almost no background processes running.

Are you using MSAA? It seems to be a huge performance hit (and doesn't even work), but still you should be doing better with your rig.

noomi

I really need TAA in Destiny 2.

I know it can add a bit of blur to the image, but I'll take some blur if that means no distracting jaggies all over the place. BF1's TAA implementation is very good, hope to see that in Destiny 2 as well.

PC Specs:
Fractal Design Node 804
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

tkFLwYyl.jpg

Disable MSAA, it is currently broken and hit performance hard with no gain. Use SMAA instead.

wwm0nkey

PC Specs:
Fractal Design Node 804

tkFLwYyl.jpg
Disable MSAA, I have a worse CPU (6600k) and I'm getting 120 fps

kuYuri

I swear, we should put "TURN OFF MSAA" in caps in the thread title just in case for everyone who enters this thread. :p

riflen

If you have a Vega GPU, don't play this on "Highest" at the moment.

A8tkDge.png

3meKUMs.png

Vega or the recommended 17.8.2 driver is not happy with some setting(s) enabled by that preset at present.

EDIT: These tests were made with FXAA enabled because Bungie say MSAA is still WIP.

Deepo

I've found an interesting workaround for 3840x2160 not showing up in fullscreen mode on 4K displays. I've posted about it over on bungie.net

Can any of you guys having this problem see if this helps, and maybe post feedback over on bungie.net if you can reproduce it? I'll just copy the post here as well:

I'm having issues getting my 4K TV to detect 3840x2160 as a valid resolution in fullscreen. The max detected is 2560x1600.

I've managed to work around it like so, but I think this is a bug:

I have a 4K LG TV and a 1080p monitor connected to my Nvidia graphics card. When both displays are connected, the max available fullscreen resolution on my 4K TV is 2560x1600. Note that I'm not using Extend or Duplicate here, just the 4K TV.

If I physically disconnect the 1080p monitor and restart the game, the max available fullscreen resolution is 3840x2160.

I've found an interesting workaround for 3840x2160 not showing up in fullscreen mode on 4K displays. I've posted about it over on bungie.net

Can any of you guys having this problem see if this helps, and maybe post feedback over on bungie.net if you can reproduce it? I'll just copy the post here as well:

3840x2160 shows up fine for me, but I don't have any second display attached. Not sure if my data point means anything, but I guess it could.

I'll run that intel driver update utility in the OP, maybe I have some weird intel driver that's out of date.

Only other games I have this CPU max usage issue in are Battlefield 4 and 1, but those seem like well-known issues

Sheytan

From the forum at bungie

"• MSAA in the Destiny 2 PC Beta is still a work in progress. Compatibility with this feature will continue to be optimized leading up to the full Destiny 2 launch on PC on October 24."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Whats the difference between Borderless Windowed and Windowed Fullscreen?

Borderless Windowed is window mode while Windowed Fullscreen is borderless fullscreen mode. The names could really use an update. Borderless Windowed is fine, but when the other option is Windowed Fullscreen it's unclear which refers to borderless fullscreen mode. The latter should be Borderless Fullscreen instead.

PaNaMa

Banned
i hate how they charts don't show 5930k, 5820k etc as a CPU. 5960k or bust heh
I'd like to know how 5930k OC + 980ti can do 4K, without AA (which gets less important as resolution increases)

I guess I can test after work anyways.

daxy

Borderless Windowed is window mode while Windowed Fullscreen is borderless fullscreen mode. The names could really use an update. Borderless Windowed is fine, but when the other option is Windowed Fullscreen it's unclear which refers to borderless fullscreen mode. The latter should be Borderless Fullscreen instead.

Oof. That's really confusing.

UberLevi

i5-4440
GTX 1060 6GB
8gb RAM

I get a stable 60fps on Highest settings with FXAA at 1080p but am wondering if I'd get a cleaner image without loss by upping my render scale and foregoing AA. High and Highest don't seem like much of a difference so I'm tempted to turn off AA and render the game on High at 150%. Will test it out when I get home and come back with results, but right now the game runs very smoothly on my midrange rig, even at high settings and during intensive combat (god, the particle effects are so good.)

A8tkDge.png

3meKUMs.png

Vega or the recommended 17.8.2 driver is not happy with some setting(s) enabled by that preset at present.

EDIT: These tests were made with FXAA enabled because Bungie say MSAA is still WIP.
I played it on highest and was getting average 100 frames in most areas. I'm not sure what problem is being reported here?

i5-4440
GTX 1060 6GB
8gb RAM

I get a stable 60fps on Highest settings with FXAA at 1080p but am wondering if I'd get a cleaner image without loss by upping my render scale and foregoing AA. High and Highest don't seem like much of a difference so I'm tempted to turn off AA and render the game on High at 150%. Will test it out when I get home and come back with results, but right now the game runs very smoothly on my midrange rig, even at high settings and during intensive combat (god, the particle effects are so good.)

According to the gamersnexus benchmark, 1060 can fo 1440p on high and stay above 60.

Since I'm on a 4K TV, I'm torn whether to stick with 1080p highest or switch to 1440p high personally.

This game pushes my laptop cpu (7700HQ) to temp levels I've never seen them at before while gaming. I was getting 90C+.

I tried on a Clevo p650hsg and an ASUS Zephyrus. Both have after market professional cpu paste jobs and I undervolted them -.120.

Wonder how my desktop 6700k at 4.5 is going to do.

A8tkDge.png

3meKUMs.png

It honestly looks like all AMD GPUs are performing about 20% lower than where they usually stack up.

Dave_6

Runs like a champ on my rig. All settings maxed minus DOF (high) and AA is set to SMAA, getting ~120 fps at 1440p with G-Sync.

7700K@4.2
1080ti stock
16GB RAM
Installed on a SSD

Can someone hook me up with some side-by-side 16:9 and 21:9 shots? I've yet to see how this game implements 21:9 (or wider) aspect ratios. It can seem fine unless you notice it's actually just cropping the top and bottom off the 16:9 image... which I don't think its doing but I won't be able to see for myself until at least tomorrow night :(

Top Bottom