• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Album of the Year 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
23f7639351a33b0790a0f775f68930bed3a758da_m.jpg

Been listening to it since release.

tumblr_lkcilq9nbS1qgxdtt.gif

Helmholtz

db755fd9e2c84c92fcf323f6d61516051556f0e1.jpg

Incredible album, unlike anything I've ever heard before. Not for everyone, but I loved it.

My runners up, roughly in order:
Panda Bear - Tomboy (I fucking love this album, hard to choose between it and Blake's.)
Radiohead - The King of Limbs (Great album. I feel like if they included some of their b-sides, like the Daily Mail, Staircase, The Butcher, it could have been amazing. However what's there already is pretty great, highlights being Codex, Lotus Flower and Give up the Ghost for me.)
Bon Iver - Bon Iver (Overall a good album. My one complaint would probably be that a lot of the songs have a very similar 'feel' to them, to the point where it's hard to distinguish between them. They sound great though.)
Girls - Father, Son & Holy Ghost (I loved this album, particularly for the first week or two after I got it, but I got bored of it quicker than I thought I would. Still a solid album. Stand outs for me were 'My ma' and 'Vomit'.)
The Strokes - Angles (Not as amazing as Is This It or Room on Fire, but still great nonetheless. Highlights were 'Taken for a Fool' and 'Life is Simple in the Moonlight'.)

The Strokes - Angles (Not as amazing as Is This It or Room on Fire, but still great nonetheless. Highlights were 'Taken for a Fool' and 'Life is Simple in the Moonlight'.)

Oh man, I got really excited for a minute. I thought I might have missed a new Strokes CD, but then I realized it was Angles. Now I'm sad

I haven't listened to it, but I liked their first album well enough.

Well, I definitely don't want to beat them into the ground, but if you're looking for music with a lot of interweaving parts and some interesting textures to go along with it (and music changes that work within the song quite well) I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Lol, all that complaining leads to me checking out the Lupe Fiasco album to see what the fuss was all about just now.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Some of my favourite albums this year

Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
*Shels - Plains of the Purple Buffalo
Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow
Oranssi Pazuzu - Kosmonument
Tombs - Path Of Totality
Panda bear - Tomboy
Tenniscoats - Tokinouta
Explosions in the sky - Take Care, Take Care.
Braids - Native speaker

Also enjoyed the new Krallice, Boris, and Nujabes but they all left me underwhelmed overall.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, thanks guys. *salutes Kendrick Lamar defense force*

Just for your pleasure, I'll listen to it after the Lupe Fiasco fiasco.

Zeth

OP - I forgive your using this thread as a vehicle for promoting your AOTY because I downloaded the album and it's fking great.

My AOTY? Tough choice. James Blake probably. Runners up: Fleet Foxes, Danny Brown, M83.
I love these threads because I can go through them and get tons of great stuff I missed.

Toma

OP - I forgive your using this thread as a vehicle for promoting your AOTY because I downloaded the album and it's fking great.

My AOTY? Tough choice. James Blake probably. Runners up: Fleet Foxes, Danny Brown, M83.
I love these threads because I can go through them and get tons of great stuff I missed.

Thank you very much. I waited a few days to see whether someone else did the 2011 thread and decided to go for it since I am VERY convinced of that albums quality. And the artists message to me that they questioned several times whether there is enough interest from others to continue making music pushed me over. And its free damnit.

Karl2177

KQex8.jpg

Justice - Audio, Video, Disco

I was nervous about it when they said it would be a lot different from their first album, but my expectations were blown away. Just an awesome album with awesome songs. My favorites are "Newlands", "Helix", "Civilization", and "Canon".

I didn't like it nearly as much as I liked Cross. On'n'On is probably my favorite off of this album, and I cant wait for the new On'n'On cover album that Ed Banger is putting out sometime soon.

On another note, the cover art for the cover album was taken down from Facebook for being inappropriate. NSFW Cover art for the On'n'On cover album.

overcast

I'm not into Hip Hop, but I thought people loved Fiasco. What's wrong with Lasers?
Fiasco is my favorite rapper. Lasers is terrible. He turned away from everything that made him, lyrics were lousy, and the beats were pop crap. Most disappointing album of the year easily.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
My top five of the year, in order

1. Beastie Boys- Hot Sauce Committee Volume 2 (easily the best thing they did since Ill Communication, hands down)
2. Rolling Stones- Some Girls (remaster) (I fell in love with this album all over again, the remaster sounds great)
3. Limp Bizkit- Gold Cobra (I expected guitar mastery from Wes and general douchebaggery from Fred, and Gold Cobra delivered in the midst of my '90s nostalgia)
4. Bjork- Biophilia (not bad, still need to check out the iOS app)
5. Lady Gaga- Born This Way (every song on there is catchy)

Toma

Hootie

I didn't like it nearly as much as I liked Cross. On'n'On is probably my favorite off of this album, and I cant wait for the new On'n'On cover album that Ed Banger is putting out sometime soon.

It seems like this album is pretty polarizing. Everyone that has listened to it either loves it or really doesn't like it. They definitely changed their sound quite a bit but I love it.

But c'mon, no love for Newlands? I can't stop listening to it.

K1LLER7

My top 5

1. Drake - Thank Me Later
2. Drake - Take Care
3. 2PM - Republic of 2pm
4. Justin Beiber - Misletoe (Suprisingly)
5. T-Pain - Revolver

Toma

It seems like this album is pretty polarizing. Everyone that has listened to it either loves it or really doesn't like it. They definitely changed their sound quite a bit but I love it.

But c'mon, no love for Newlands? I can't stop listening to it.

Listened to it the first time now, and I definitely like it quite a bit. Should go nicely with the Tron Legacy Daft Punk soundtrack in a playlist.

And the Fiasco-Lamar comparison indeed wasnt very favorable for Fiasco, but I can imagine there were still plenty of people liking this kind of pop rap. Not my cup pf tea, but yeah, why not.

I feel like this is the 3rd thread on this subject I've come across recently. Because of that, I'll instead post the album that took me by complete and utter surprise.

rustie-vinyl.jpg

Steamlord

jtKeV.jpg

Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Kind of a tough choice. Gloss Drop is just behind it, but I think TKoL is the one I enjoyed the most, despite its flaws.

Runners-up:

Battles - Gloss Drop
Neon Indian - Era Extrana
St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact
The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar

Really hard to say, it ended up being a damn good year for new releases.

Either this:

Moonsorrow%2B2011%2BVarjoina%2BKuljemme%2BKuolleiden%2BMaassa.jpg

Or this:

0019f018.jpeg

Iced Earth, Jag Panzer, Nightwish, Korpiklaani, and a whole shitload of others had great ones as well.

The M.O.B

I got a stack of albums that I still need to go through so my AOTY might change.

Right now..................Section80 by Kendrick Lamar as mentioned a billion times already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom