• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Kepler - Geforce GTX680 Thread - Now with reviews

scogoth

Only way to do it, my friend! Sell the old ones on eBay for near what I paid for them. Upgrade will probably cost me less than $500 in total.
Still waiting on those classifieds. If I'm going to drop some money on GPUs might as well drop a lot but only once.

Hawk269

Huh. Just last week I talked to their sales staff asking for an idea of when it would be released and they wouldnt even give me a hint, so i caved and bought the 2gb version. Stupid evga!

Should of read the evga forums....Alot of Evga staff post in the forums and they mentioned in the forums that the time frame for the 4gb was around the middle of May.

sk3tch

Should of read the evga forums....Alot of Evga staff post in the forums and they mentioned in the forums that the time frame for the 4gb was around the middle of May.

What's the best place to watch for them to drop? I'm on Hardforums (HardOCP) - anything else you recommend? As specific as possible... :)

Hawk269

This is cheap. I mean, c'mon - I could be into fixing up old cars or hot rods or something. Now THAT'S expensive. :) I recoup most initial investment costs.'

Off to F5 EVGA.com!

What are you camping Evga for sk3th? 690's? If so, let me know. I have an "inside" connection to get one, but will need to know really quick if you want it or not since I am getting a call on Monday to see if I want to buy it or not.

Also, Nvidia did say in the press release for the 690 that a limited amount will be out on May 3rd with additional higher quantity on May 7th. So if anyone is looking for 690's Monday is the day for them.

On the 3rd...Evga had them go on sale exactly at 6am, so not sure if this will be repeat on Monday, but that is what they did last Thursday. And F' Newegg and Tigerdirect for price gauging the 690's. Newegg has them +$200 over MSRP and Tiger has them +$100...so unless you like overpaying, stick with Evga.com.

sk3tch

What are you camping Evga for sk3th? 690's? If so, let me know. I have an "inside" connection to get one, but will need to know really quick if you want it or not since I am getting a call on Monday to see if I want to buy it or not.

Also, Nvidia did say in the press release for the 690 that a limited amount will be out on May 3rd with additional higher quantity on May 7th. So if anyone is looking for 690's Monday is the day for them.

On the 3rd...Evga had them go on sale exactly at 6am, so not sure if this will be repeat on Monday, but that is what they did last Thursday. And F' Newegg and Tigerdirect for price gauging the 690's. Newegg has them +$200 over MSRP and Tiger has them +$100...so unless you like overpaying, stick with Evga.com.

Cool man, I appreciate that. I'm actually on the hunt for the GTX 680 4GB FTW editions. I'd like to go 690 but it doesn't make sense for me since I already invested in a system to handle 4 cards. However, I am jealous of those that can buy a Z77 board and an Ivy Bridge CPU and two 690s for quad-SLI love on the cheap(er)! :)

xXJonoXx

I seen a 670 GTX MSI today at Fry's in-store. It was priced at $399.99, but they wouldn't let me buy it due to it not being the "Street-date" yet.

On a second note, where can I get a 680 for under $550 right now? Best place to F5 for one?

Hawk269

Cool man, I appreciate that. I'm actually on the hunt for the GTX 680 4GB FTW editions. I'd like to go 690 but it doesn't make sense for me since I already invested in a system to handle 4 cards. However, I am jealous of those that can buy a Z77 board and an Ivy Bridge CPU and two 690s for quad-SLI love on the cheap(er)! :)

You can easily sell your 680's at the same retail price and go 2x690's. Less power consumption, heat and noise going that way, plus your 3960x would feed them well!!!

Hawk269

I seen a 670 GTX MSI today at Fry's in-store. It was priced at $399.99, but they wouldn't let me buy it due to it not being the "Street-date" yet.

On a second note, where can I get a 680 for under $550 right now? Best place to F5 for one?

Really??? Wow...then the pricing of $399.99 may be true. Damn...Nvidia are about to kick ATi in balls in a very hard way.

A 680 for under $550...hmmm, I am selling 2 of them for $500 each. They include the backplate and High flow bracket. They are Evga and since they changed the Warranty, the 3 year warranty is tied to the card not the original purchaser...so it is covered for 3 years.

PM if interested.

sk3tch

You can easily sell your 680's at the same retail price and go 2x690's. Less power consumption, heat and noise going that way, plus your 3960x would feed them well!!!

Can your hookup get me two of them? I'd be down for jumping to those and then moving to GK110 or something. Heh.

This is cheap. I mean, c'mon - I could be into fixing up old cars or hot rods or something. Now THAT'S expensive. :) I recoup most initial investment costs.'

Off to F5 EVGA.com!

So is it just the desire to run every game on your three-monitor surround setup at max settings at 120Hz/60Hz S3D?

Or is it just for benchmarking scores?

edit: Aww shucks, a double post. :(

yanhero

Damn, if the 670 is that cheap, I really regret getting the 680 :(

Hawk269

Can your hookup get me two of them? I'd be down for jumping to those and then moving to GK110 or something. Heh.

I can only get one and it will be from Evga themselves. They only allow a limit of 1 per household...so if you want 690's you can camp them tomorrow for 1 and I get get the 2nd for you. We just to arrange it as I will be down the money until I sell it to you...of course at face value...I don't take advantage of others with hot items.

sk3tch

I can only get one and it will be from Evga themselves. They only allow a limit of 1 per household...so if you want 690's you can camp them tomorrow for 1 and I get get the 2nd for you. We just to arrange it as I will be down the money until I sell it to you...of course at face value...I don't take advantage of others with hot items.

Cool...thanks. I think I'll hold off, then. I will wait for the 4GB'ers, if anything. Thanks a lot, though. I appreciate the offer!

Hawk269

Cool...thanks. I think I'll hold off, then. I will wait for the 4GB'ers, if anything. Thanks a lot, though. I appreciate the offer!

Good luck with getting a 4gb FTW...They are going to be a bitch to get once they decide to release them. Rumor still has it for the middle of May.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
At $400, I think I'll upgrade my 570 to a 670. That's a heck of a price. That said, if the 7970 drops to $379 (and it should), I may go for that instead.

Either way, gonna have to offload my 570. I have a Zotac AMP! Edition. What's the going rate on second-hand 570s nowadays? I should still easily recoup $150-$200, yes?

sk3tch

Good luck with getting a 4gb FTW...They are going to be a bitch to get once they decide to release them. Rumor still has it for the middle of May.

Cool. I tweeted @EVGA_JacobF to see what's up. Sounds like they are going to be like the GTX 680 and the GTX 690 - hard to get. ;) I'm online nearly 24x7 and I was able to grab 3x EVGA GTX 680s on launch day (could have grabbed more but I wasn't set on doing quad-SLI then!) - so I'm not too worried about my Internet ninja skills!! :)

Hawk269

Cool. I tweeted @EVGA_JacobF to see what's up. Sounds like they are going to be like the GTX 680 and the GTX 690 - hard to get. ;) I'm online nearly 24x7 and I was able to grab 3x EVGA GTX 680s on launch day (could have grabbed more but I wasn't set on doing quad-SLI then!) - so I'm not too worried about my Internet ninja skills!! :)

BTW...How is the quad scalling. Do you see improvements going 3way SLI to 4 way SLI?

Jacob is a cool person. They take care of me very well over at Evga. The one card I am very curious about is their 680 Classified...the 580 Classys were amazing...so cannot wait to see what they have in store with the 680 Classy.

Is a 560 or 570 going to be any good in the long run, or should I wait for a deal on the 670? I really want to upgrade from my current Radeon 6850, but 400 dollars for a 670 still feels ludicrous. That's entire console money, haha, especially considering I was hoping to do a sub 700 dollar PC build sometime soon.

pxleyes

Banned

Off to F5 EVGA.com!

Fair enough. Love your posts though. Something about them makes it easy to live vicariously through you when you pick up all this new hardware. Then I look back at my own system and realize how inadequate my GTX260 really is.

XOMTOR

Fair enough. Love your posts though. Something about them makes it easy to live vicariously through you when you pick up all this new hardware. Then I look back at my own system and realize how inadequate my GTX260 really is.

Funny same here, love living vicariously through Sk3tch. And I'm also still running a GTX260, well 2 actually; grabbed a second one last year off ebay for $70 for a pretty decent boost.

I plan to upgrade sometime later this year after all this launch nonsense shakes out. Not too many games coming out in the near future that interest me anyway; plus it's almost summer and gaming has to take a back seat to yard work/home renos and such...ugh!

yanhero

So apparently 670s are equal or faster than 680s because having one less cluster allows it to boost all the way to 1350mhz. My 680 can only do 1200mhz and I'm getting 100 pts less in 3dmark 11 than the two people with 670s on overclock.net... all while paying $100 more, this is bullshit.

So apparently 670s are equal or faster than 680s because having one less cluster allows it to boost all the way to 1350mhz. My 680 can only do 1200mhz and I'm getting 100 pts less in 3dmark 11 than the two people with 670s on overclock.net... all while paying $100 more, this is bullshit.

if thats the case...man its going to be so hard getting a 670. I wish you can preorder these cards or something

How long are all these stock shortages going to go on for?

I dont really need a 600 series card just yet so should I maybe just wait 6 months?

scogoth

Wtf, http://www.overclock.net/t/1253432/gigabyte-gtx-670-oc-version-hands-on/160 I haven't gone through the entire thread yet (on page 17), but apparently the 670 is faster than the 680? This is fucked up.

An OC version is faster than stock 680. Thats not that crazy given the severe limitation on manual ocing. Your losing a shader core so a 680 will still outperform clock for clock and at higher aa or resolution.

You're seriously fucking crazy.

Seriously.

Also, lets stop the nonsense and at least write some articles about it. Then us crazies in the PC thread can just have parts shipped to us for 'review'.

I'm game for that. I'm still waiting on those damn hydro coppers to 1) come back in stock 2) release in 4GB version 3) release in classified.

None of those options have happening so far.

The Hermit

damn... I was going to buy a 680 this week. I guess, I'll get a 670 instead

sk3tch

Also, lets stop the nonsense and at least write some articles about it. Then us crazies in the PC thread can just have parts shipped to us for 'review'.

Ha...site is up. I am just too damn busy, man. Needs a lot of tweaking but content can be dumped.

An OC version is faster than stock 680. Thats not that crazy given the severe limitation on manual ocing. Your losing a shader core so a 680 will still outperform clock for clock and at higher aa or resolution.

I did not read that whole thread (lol), but it looks like MAX OC 670 versus MAX OC 680 - the 670 wins! Haha. Crazy. Possible fallout from the whole GK104/GK110 maneuvering Nvidia did. Who knows. Pretty awesome, though!

scogoth

Ha...site is up. I am just too damn busy, man. Needs a lot of tweaking but content can be dumped.

I did not read that whole thread (lol), but it looks like MAX OC 670 versus MAX OC 680 - the 670 wins! Haha. Crazy. Possible fallout from the whole GK104/GK110 maneuvering Nvidia did. Who knows. Pretty awesome, though!

Maybe I should have read it too. Lol

EDIT: read through 10 pages, seems to be the 301.25 drivers perform much better in 3D mark than 301.24

yanhero

I read through the whole thing, people tested it with the .25 drivers, it doesnt help. Later on the OP posts his clocks while the benchmark is running, and it shows it somewhere around 1350mhz. Another guy with a 670 also comes in and posts another bench with similar results also at around 1350mhz. Most 680s can only get to 1200mhz, thus the 670 is basically equal to the 680.

Top Bottom