• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 Confirmed for GOG Release! Out Now! (Via RPS)

Well, there were Xbox games with bigger levels too, even open world stuff. The other Unreal Engine games probably had big levels too, possibly even those that edited the engine as heavily as DXIW, like Splinter Cell, but I don't remember for sure.

There is an argument that could be made that Bioshock was a better game because of the more compact set pieces. It allowed the art team to cram a lot more detail into areas and in turn, make them better.

FACE

Banned
Well in that regard i'd argue the industry is changing for the worse. Case in point: SS2 is the best game ever made and it's over a decade old.

Looking Glass' games are significantly more ambitious than pretty much everything out nowadays, it's a sad state of affairs.

Looking Glass' games are significantly more ambitious than pretty much everything out nowadays, it's a sad state of affairs.

Hopefully kickstarters change that... i'd live to see game development placed back in the hands of the creative director(s) instead of the publishers.

RedSwirl

Never played these. I've heard people say Dead Space (the first one) is similar, is that accurate?

ss2deadspace.jpg

People have said it in this thread already but yeah, SS2 most likely forms half the inspiration behind the first Dead Space (the other half being Resident Evil 4). That's if the rumors aren't true about DS originally being SS3.

The main difference is that SS2 is a lot less linear and has much heavier RPG elements. You can (and often have to) travel back and forth between decks of the ship, and you have to develop your character's abilities in different areas like weapons, hacking, and psionics (basically magic).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Recommendation to anyone playing for the first time: Consider modding the game to lower the rate at which items degrade and break. Although the item maintenance mechanic adds to the feel and isolation and fear of the game, it can get a little tedious.

If this is something that appeals to you, go to your SS2 directory, open or create user.cfg, and add the following line:
gun_degrade_rate 0

The 0 number is a number between 0 and 1. 0 turns off degrading totally. You might fine 0.5 is a good mix between the base mechanic and no degrading.

Enjoy :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Recommendation to anyone playing for the first time: Consider modding the game to lower the rate at which items degrade and break. Although the item maintenance mechanic adds to the feel and isolation and fear of the game, it can get a little tedious.

If this is something that appeals to you, go to your SS2 directory, open or create user.cfg, and add the following line:
gun_degrade_rate 0

The 0 number is a number between 0 and 1. 0 turns off degrading totally. You might fine 0.5 is a good mix between the base mechanic and no degrading.

I'm turning it up to 500.

injurai

Banned

gun_degrade_rate 0

Oh sounds good. I also know you can mod in vertical mouse control into the game as well.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
ss2deadspace.jpg

People have said it in this thread already but yeah, SS2 most likely forms half the inspiration behind the first Dead Space (the other half being Resident Evil 4). That's if the rumors aren't true about DS originally being SS3.

The main difference is that SS2 is a lot less linear and has much heavier RPG elements. You can (and often have to) travel back and forth between decks of the ship, and you have to develop your character's abilities in different areas like weapons, hacking, and psionics (basically magic).

Pretty much. System Shock 2 is basically Dead Space + Deus Ex.

And it's sweeeeeet. Glad people are actually excited about it.

Lancehead

gun_degrade_rate 0

That's a bad advice, really. You'd lose some of that "from barely surviving and relying on the wrench to becoming a powerful force" progression.

Persona7

Banned
don't know if it has been discussed here but there were rumors about it going online on steam. anyone knows something about this?

Presumably later as opposed to sooner.

Luckily the GOG release will allow a bunch of people to obtain this excellent game without having to worry about DRM and being able to back the game up without any issues for the future.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
don't know if it has been discussed here but there were rumors about it going online on steam. anyone knows something about this?

It's a timed GOG exclusive. If you want it on Steam then you should have no problem waiting 6 months since you already waited like 12 years. What's another 6 months right??

ss2deadspace.jpg

There are some plot and...environmental elements that will feel familiar if you play either game :D

It does indeed seem like EA was working on a SShock3 but eventually gave up on trying to mold it to the IP and went for a more action oriented horror shooter title. But some elements were left intact.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
There are some plot and...environmental elements that will feel familiar if you play either game :D

It does indeed seem like EA was working on a SShock3 but eventually gave up on trying to mold it to the IP and went for a more action oriented horror shooter title. But some elements were left intact.

fuuuuuck. And now I realized how really close Dead Space was to SS2.

mango drank

I made an exhaustive list a couple years ago in the OT Dead Space thread. MAD SPOILERS.

The following are true of both games:

• the game is survival horror
• takes place on a large ship floating in space, far away from Earth
• ship is dark, atmospheric, trashed
• ship uses a tram system
• crew of the ship has mutated into monsters
• the mutation occurs after the ship picks something up from an alien planet
• something from Earth is responsible for the mutation's origin being on said planet
• groupthink controls the monsters (Hive Mind; The Many)
• you eventually fight and kill the origin of the groupthink
• the game makes use of audio/text logs
• through these logs, you follow progress of someone else trying to escape (engineer Temple and his significant other Elizabeth in DS; Tommy and Rebecca in SS2)
• ghosts/halluciations (Nicole in DS; everyone else in SS2)
• through a good chunk of the game, you get guidance/instructions/directions from a woman over your communicator
• there's a plot twist in which the woman who's been guiding you turns out to be an antagonist
• there's a twist in the ending cinematic, in which someone's love interest is transformed into an antagonist

• you explore these areas:
- medical wing
- atrium/hydroponics
- crew quarters
- engine area, where engine needs to be restarted
- rec area w/ basketball court (!)
- late in the game, you board an attached military ship, explore it, and return to your ship

• there's a mission involving finding and destroying mutant pods/eggs
• there's meat growing on the walls
• the protagonist can use powers to draw objects toward him, fire them off
• there's an inventory system
• there's an equipment upgrade system
• space marines are involved in some capacity
• the game is published by EA, who still owns the rights to the System Shock franchise

It's a timed GOG exclusive. If you want it on Steam then you should have no problem waiting 6 months since you already waited like 12 years. What's another 6 months right??

actually that's kinda true, it would be nice to have it a bit sooner though.
maybe I just finally get myself a GOG account, hmm

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That's a bad advice, really. You'd lose some of that "from barely surviving and relying on the wrench to becoming a powerful force" progression.

I do appreciate that, but I don't think the mechanic is well balanced as-is. I mean, by all means play the base game, but maybe if you find yourself not enjoying this mechanic and find it a bit too aggressive, that's the fix, and it's something I personally do when I replay the game.

Midou

Not sure why people are against GOG, DRM-free is awesome and I can install it on all my computers without extra accounts or anything. I also add any game I'm playing as a Steam shortcut, so everything is still in one place. Having a game install as an exe is crazy convenient.

I made an exhaustive list a couple years ago in the OT Dead Space thread. MAD SPOILERS.

• something from Earth is responsible for the mutation's origin being on said planet
• through these logs, you follow progress of someone else trying to escape (engineer Temple and his significant other Elizabeth in DS; Tommy and Rebecca in SS2)
• through a good chunk of the game, you get guidance/instructions/directions from a woman over your communicator
• there's a plot twist in which the woman who's been guiding you turns out to be an antagonist
• there's a twist in the ending cinematic, in which someone's love interest is transformed into an antagonist

- medical wing
- atrium/hydroponics
- crew quarters
- late in the game, you board an attached military ship, explore it, and return to your ship

• the game is published by EA, who still owns the rights to the System Shock franchise

i never played dead space... WTF. Dead Space is a complete rip off...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Not sure why people are against GOG, DRM-free is awesome and I can install it on all my computers without extra accounts or anything. I also add any game I'm playing as a Steam shortcut, so everything is still in one place. Having a game install as an exe is crazy convenient.

I think it's more the convenience of having the dl all in one place. I'm definitely going with GOG for this. I really like their service and want to support them for helping making this happen.

I think it's more the convenience of having the dl all in one place. I'm definitely going with GOG for this. I really like their service and want to support them for helping making this happen.

I have to say that's really my only excuse I did not create an account so far :S It's stupid actually but my subtle OCD tells me not to disturb the old order

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I have to say that's really my only excuse I did not create an account so far :S It's stupid actually but my subtle OCD tells me not to disturb the old order

GOG is worth signing up for since there's not a lot of crossover with the Steam Store library. Steam still doesn't have a lot of the classics that GOG has like Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Sim City 2000, etc etc. This might not be the case with SS2, but a lot of the re-releases on GOG may never show up on Steam.

Plus if you're ever like me and stuck with no internet at home for a period of time, you'll thank the maker for those DRM-free games.

I do appreciate that, but I don't think the mechanic is well balanced as-is. I mean, by all means play the base game, but maybe if you find yourself not enjoying this mechanic and find it a bit too aggressive, that's the fix, and it's something I personally do when I replay the game.

The thing is it depends how you play ;) The glorious, glorious thing.

That's an entirely seperate argument and I would agree with you but I don't see how Bioshock needs to cop a belting or be treated as a worse game in the context of its time just because Irrational has been forced to change with the times.

I still don't see how they were forced to change. Sure at the time "brain dead shooter" = sales, but I've never known "one of the best games of all time with incredible atmosphere" to be a bad thing to make.

My fantasy of creating a GAF Plays System Shock 2 thread is inching ever closer. It truly is one of the best games ever made, and despite the lack of mainstream success it's easy to see the influence it had on modern games. The fact that side-stories are usually told using audio/text logs, or the presence of a voice in your head telling you what to do, are both examples of things which modern games use to ape SS2 without ever coming to close to reaching the perfection of this marvellous game.

As far as the story and Babbies 1st System Shock... er I mean Bioshock, System Shock 2 actually tells the same basic tale better, though I'd argue that Bioshock is still important for different reasons. Also, I'm definitely in the camp which feels that removing a whole range of features made the later game a lesser experience. For one thing, you could only disable vita-chambers in Bioshock after a patch, but pro SS2 players just never activated the fucking things in the first place.

And while every single ability in Bioshock can be wielded and used by the player in one run, SS2 has the player actually tailoring their abilities to how they want to play like as though it's *gasp* an RPG. It's genuinely impossible to max out weapons, tech and psi in a single run, and focusing on one tree or another will net you real benefits in the form of advanced skills which give you some much-needed win buttons once you get deep into the later parts of the game.

So yeah I like it.

gun_degrade_rate 0

Stump is scrub confirmed

i never played dead space... WTF. Dead Space is a complete rip off...

Eh, it really isn't. Some of those points are extremely tenuous and miss things that aren't even subtle differences; without spoiling, DS doesn't have anything like SHODAN in pretty much every sense. For example, what movie am I referring to that has:

A non-military/science crew
Takes place in a spaceship in the far future.
Has a very strange looking alien
Alien hides throughout the ship
Alien is being hunted down by crew.
Computer system called Mother.
A disobedient AI that tries to kill the crew.
Movie ends with the main ship exploding.

Goddam, I am on this. I had previously wanted to track down the discs and mod it (this version can still be modded, right?), but the jury rigged setups I read about on reddit just to get it working put me off.

- medical wing
- atrium/hydroponics
- crew quarters

Thanks for this. I was about to post how Dead Space really wasn't that similar to System Shock 2 and make an ass of myself.

Vamphuntr

Yay, will buy. Hopefully the multiplayer is better than on the modded/tweaked version. It would crash all the time on the original disk + mods.

Eh, it really isn't. Some of those points are extremely tenuous and miss things that aren't even subtle differences; without spoiling, DS doesn't have anything like SHODAN in pretty much every sense.

Uh except that it does,
she's just an actual human person in DS.
Also the plot progression is practically identical, the invasive biological nature of the alien threat actually is identical and the behaviour of unitoligists mimics that of the newly infected Many in SS2. Dead Space is a note for note rip off of SS2 with better combat.

GOG is worth signing up for since there's not a lot of crossover with the Steam Store library. Steam still doesn't have a lot of the classics that GOG has like Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Sim City 2000, etc etc. This might not be the case with SS2, but a lot of the re-releases on GOG may never show up on Steam.

Plus if you're ever like me and stuck with no internet at home for a period of time, you'll thank the maker for those DRM-free games.

woah I did not even know that! thanks

Personally, I find it very easy to prefer SS1 if it's the first game in the series you've played, like I have. They're both extremely different games. SS1 is more like an action adventure game as opposed to an action RPG and while it definitely tries hard to creep you out, it's definitely not as horror-centric as SS1.

SS2 is a very good game but I was kind of turned off by its small levels, awkward-feeling engine and little variety in enemies as opposed to the HUGE cyborg army you fight in the first game. On the other hand, its RPG elements are quite deep and add a lot to the game which makes it a great game in its own right. SS2 also disappointed me when it came to the soundtrack, though. While SS1 has some of the most creative uses of MIDI video game music I've ever heard (the music shifts and morphs as you play and never sounds exactly the same twice) and has some brilliantly moody compositions, SS2 seems to suffer from a serious overdose of somewhat generic-sounding breakbeats.

While this thread is great news, a SS1 remake of sorts would send me straight to heaven.

DocSeuss

Anyone think System Shock 2 deserves an OT, given how fucking long it's been, and that so few people have played it?

How would one go about doing that? 'cause there are some great things in this thread, like modding and such, or explanations as to the awesomeness of the game... they could all fit in their own thread.

Anyone think System Shock 2 deserves an OT, given how fucking long it's been, and that so few people have played it?

How would one go about doing that? 'cause there are some great things in this thread, like modding and such, or explanations as to the awesomeness of the game... they could all fit in their own thread.

great idea! why don't you do it? :)

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

I would love that. Seriously. If anything a rttp/lttp thread.

Uh except that it does,
she's just an actual human person in DS.
Also the plot progression is practically identical, the invasive biological nature of the alien threat actually is identical and the behaviour of unitoligists mimics that of the newly infected Many in SS2. Dead Space is a note for note rip off of SS2 with better combat.

But
it's all in the protagonist's head in DS via the Marker. SS2 literally has SHODAN as the entity which created the infection, whereas the Unitologists existed prior to discovery of the Marker and the fake wife is a delusion created by the Marker

I mean, even at a surface glance it's not 'note for note', because SS2's final levels are
inside the Many biomass
and Dead Space's final levels are
on the surface of a dead planet where the Marker was found or rebuilt, I can't remember which
and the final cutscenes, while sharing visual similarities, are completely opposite in intent.

Even the early plot progression is highly dissimilar in the approach to getting the protagonist into the story.

Top Bottom