• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feindflug

Either would be awesome...and I expect one. :)

Infiltrator/Samaritan, Alan Wake 2, PGR5 & CoD: Ghosts will be an amazing line-up...plus showing 4 games is not that much of a crazy theory! :p

At this point I don't want any leaks, every announcement being a surprise next week will be really cool. It's gonna be a hard wait but hopefully will be worth it.

Its about time we got some positive xbox threads, and hype. MS don't help themselves, i'll admit, but the place is getting very pro PS3/PS4. I have a PS3 and am hyped for PS4, doesn't mean we can't have some excitement over what MS are doing too.

I find it very sad that in order to be 'pro' something in console gaming people feel the need to be negative about something else.

Like it isn't possible for two things to be good.

PS3 and Xbox 360 are both awesome... just for slightly different reasons and with slightly different areas to improve.

I don't see why anyone thinks that will be different next gen.

The people who supposed power as the critical differentiator and then play games in the console space strike me as very odd. I don't want either console to be underpowered (though that is relative), but equally if that's what mattered I'd be a PC gamer - console hardware is out of date before it even launches in that sense.

ppl who think the xbox avatar thing is a sign of fanboyness, take gaming way to seriously, I think not joining in the fun is like being a humbug at christmas

Yeah really. I don't own anything Xbox related. My bother and niece has an Xbox but i only have a PS3 ( 60gig, 120gig slim. PS2 also). The only on Xbox logo is funny and fits anyone's avatar. It looks perfect. That's why i decided to join in on the fun. Which is what it is.

Urgh yes they are ... by that same logic the Xbox 360 S is the reason because of the design of the console and that people bought them when there was a more varied library of games?

By % of the total audience that is not possible.

The audience becomes more casual over time - PS One and PS2 both proved this and Xbox 360 is proving it too.

ekim

just looked for more potential names and found that Microsoft owns (since 2004 though):
XboxIgnite.com
XboxIgnite.de
XboxIgnite.net
XboxIgnite.org
XboxIgnite.info
XboxIgnite.jp

FordGTGuy

Banned
It's all out of fun for the reveal, no one is being forced or being held up to any expectations to have them.

just looked for more potential names and found that Microsoft owns (since 2004 though):
XboxIgnite.com
XboxIgnite.de
XboxIgnite.net
XboxIgnite.org
XboxIgnite.info
XboxIgnite.jp

After the whole red ring thing they probably decided ignite is a bad name.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It's all out of fun for the reveal, no one is being forced or being held up to any expectations to have them.

After the whole red ring thing they probably decided ignite is a bad name.

that or ignite is for something different... like indie game development

KageMaru

I find it very sad that in order to be 'pro' something in console gaming people feel the need to be negative about something else.

PS3 and Xbox 360 are both awesome... just for slightly different reasons and with slightly different areas to improve.

I don't see why anyone thinks that will be different next gen.

The people who supposed power as the critical differentiator and then play games in the console space strike me as very odd. I don't want either console to be underpowered (though that is relative), but equally if that's what mattered I'd be a PC gamer - console hardware is out of date before it even launches in that sense.

This x1000. I hardly post on any forums anymore because too many people feel the need to slam anything they don't prefer. It's gotten old for me and I have better things to do than read a bunch of ignorant hypocrites prove how they aren't really gamers but instead a bunch of fanboys.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I want a Chad "ONLY ON XBOX" Warden avatar

Untitled-58.jpg~original
imJ4l7SuBe8oa.png~original

Not as such. I just said that then. But DopeyFish implied that consoles being expensive doesn't matter, because iPads and iPhones are expensive. I argued that was a pointless comparison.

Then you mentioned that you could 'easily' make the console appealing to those same people. I'm arguing that it isn't easy at all to win over that market, given the competition Durango already faces before launch, even from the 360 itself.

And I'm still waiting to hear how you would easily make the console appealing to those people.

Forget about tablets and phones, that comparison doesn't matter. Many millions of people who don't belong to the traditional gaming audience bought Xbox 360 + Kinect at $300 (and some of them subscribed to Gold, spending more money), and even more of them bought Wii at $250 (and many of them also bought Wii Fit for additional $90). Relatively high price is not an obstacle for those people if you offer a product that the market currently desires, that's the whole point.

How would Microsoft do that? Well, I'm not privy to their plans, obviously, but they seem to be quite confident in being able to pleasantly surprise people. My guess is that they'll try to make Durango a central hub and a server for all the other devices you may already have, including other (Xbox) consoles. They'll try to offer a user experience that is as smooth and interconnected as possible, across multiple screens, adding interactivity, multitasking and collaboration to traditionally static and isolated tasks. Kinect will be involved in some capacity, of course (natural language control with synthesized speech responses?). If they succeed in selling the vision of a powerful futuristic device (and their traditionally strong marketing will definitely help), I think they'll be in a great position to make the next Xbox a universally compelling proposition.

ShinAmano

Infiltrator/Samaritan, Alan Wake 2, PGR5 & CoD: Ghosts will be an amazing line-up...plus showing 4 games is not that much of a crazy theory! :p

At this point I don't want any leaks, every announcement being a surprise next week will be really cool. It's gonna be a hard wait but hopefully will be worth it.
Exactly my thoughts. I am happy to wait for the payoff rather then going in knowing.

Izick

I still think lots of people could buy a Nextbox as an entertainment box if the services are good, BUT more importantly, if Kinect 2.0 is accurate enough to make the UI compelling. I mentioned this several times before, but Apple is trying to figure out how to make contrlling entertainment easier and more intuitive, but nobody wants to wear Apple-branded rings around the house. Kinect 2.0 could bypass all of that and just go straight for no physical remote-controller device at all.

Do we expect MS to change hardware specs and maybe ammount of memory?
I mean they are 2,5 months behind Sony with their announcment. Any thoughts?

I think it won't be point for point like the rumored specs. I expect some things to be the same and some better. And others completely differentl. :)

Feindflug

This x1000. I hardly post on any forums anymore because too many people feel the need to slam anything they don't prefer. It's gotten old for me and I have better things to do than read a bunch of ignorant hypocrites prove how they aren't really gamers but instead a bunch of fanboys.

Hopefully you will join in the Next Xbox reveal hype! :)

p3tran

Banned
I think the mistake there is in thinking there's a 'specs war' at all.

There really isn't. This isn't the 90s. Both Sony and Microsoft will have had the opportunity to make $1000 uber-powerful boxes, but there's so much more than needs to be considered. Obviously additional functionality adds to the cost (Kinect, touchpads on controllers, 2x HDMIs for TV overlay functions etc etc). But there's also form-factor and power consumption to consider. If Microsoft wants the next Xbox to be an always-on PVR, having monster-specs will only make the box larger, more power hungry and more hot. Not ideal for the type of box they're aiming for.

Your average family isn't going to want a massive and noisy Xbox-sized box under their TV. It's not going to be as appealing to them as the tiny form-factor of the Apple TV for example.

I'm very positive about what ms will bring, but I wont give them excuses if they dont deliver.
My gaming laptop has an nvidia gtx gpu, and it has a fucking button that lets it go to "green energy saving" mode, and when not gfx intensive operations are needed, it gets by with a whole lot less consumption. battery life can last many hours more like this.
oh, and completely silent too, even on gfx intensive stuff.
If my laptop can do it, which I dont think is the very latest word of technology of 2013, then a machine that is supposed not only to be the hotness of today, but is supposed to last for five years, cannot give me excuses like that.
I am not making comparisons with sony's new machine, but with today pc's tech.

in my opinion, kinect was brought to fight wii marketshare and help microsoft recuperate the red ring thing, as they kept the old 360 afloat for a couple of years more than they should, to get good profit.

if they target EVERYBODY day 1, and if that means medium hardware because tv box, kinect, apps, triple hdmi's etc as you suggest, then its cool and I really hope it works out for ms.
One potential problem could be that half of what they try to offer through apps etc does not work for many countries in europe.

I will most probably buy the xbox even if specs "suck", but at that case it will be a machine strictly for the good exclusives. kind of like a bought a wii for last gen.

Only case I dont buy, is if microsoft manages to make a mess with drm, used games, and a few other things , but personally i want to think that ms does not want to ruin a good thing they got themselves rolling here, and everything will come out peaches.

von zipp

I'm looking forward to getting some info on the nextbox's integration and relationship with other MS mediums. I'm currently in the market for a new smartphone and waiting for the 21st to make a decision between android or windows phone.

Izick

100% agree. I still really enjoy a lot of forum stuff, but most of the cynicism is a bit too much for me sometimes.

Still, I love being on here and talking about positive stuff with other people who love gaming. You can't beat that, and I don't really get that in real life so this is a great way to go about it.

Karak

Ya it always surprises me that people don't understand its pretty easy to not draw lines.
Fun games are all that matter.

KageMaru

Hopefully you will join in the Next Xbox reveal hype! :)

Unfortunately so far I'm not all too excited about the next xbox, but hopefully that changes after the reveal and E3. =)

100% agree. I still really enjoy a lot of forum stuff, but most of the cynicism is a bit too much for me sometimes.

Still, I love being on here and talking about positive stuff with other people who love gaming. You can't beat that, and I don't really get that in real life so this is a great way to go about it.

Yeah, the positive discussions are still great. It's just the petty bickering over things like the expected performance gap between the Ps4 and Durango is old for me. The performance gap was much larger between the PS2 and xbox but that didn't stop me from enjoying the slew of great games on the PS2 and I'm sure the same could be said for many of the people here who will troll Durango.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Just got this email, relevant?

Not saying that MS or the 720 has anything to do with this, but if they utilize the store like I hope they do on the 720, this could be pretty cool.

Looks like they are putting in the pieces to increase developer interest, Microsoft has always been good about this.

They really need it now, if they can get a XBLA boom going again they'll be sitting high.

Karak

Yeah, the positive discussions are still great. It's just the petty bickering over things like the expected performance gap between the Ps4 and Durango is old for me. The performance gap was much larger between the PS2 and xbox but that didn't stop me from enjoying the slew of great games on the PS2 and I'm sure the same could be said for many of the people here who will troll Durango.

Kage laying down the truth as always. Sad to hear your feelings, but I can't say I am surprised, I don't think you are alone in that feeling at all.

Feindflug

Ya it always surprises me that people don't understand its pretty easy to not draw lines.
Fun games are all that matter.

Well some people's negative posts about Durango read like they want and wish the system to be crap, how can anyone who calls himself/herself a gamer does not want one more great and successful system on the market is beyond me...strong competition can only be a good thing.

Unfortunately so far I'm not all too excited about the next xbox, but hopefully that changes after the reveal and E3. =)

Hopefully MS delivers next week. :p

Axonometri

Well some people's negative posts about Durango read like they want and wish the system to be crap, how can anyone who calls himself/herself a gamer does not want one more great and successful system on the market is beyond me...strong competition can only be a good thing.

Hopefully MS delivers next week. :p

Thank you! Healthy competition is good for everyone!

ekim

Imagine if the XboxRevealTent twitter account is owned by SuperDAE and starts leaking everything from now on after MajorNelson and AaronGreenberg caused people to follow the account.

Imagine if the XboxRevealTent twitter account is owned by SuperDAE and starts leaking everything from now on after MajorNelson and AaronGreenberg caused people to follow the account.

except i think everything superdae had he already leaked. guy is on the run from the law now.

so all he could leak is old vgleaks stuff anyway.

MaulerX

Is it bad that I'm debating calling out of work the 21st? I am only scheduled for a few hours but it during the entire presentation. I have a stupid habit of wanting to see these things in real time. First world problems.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. It's the last of the reveals. Probably won't happen again in another 8-10 years. Fuck it, just make a day out of it. Catch the pre-shows, the reveal, post-shows and meltdowns. It'll be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom