• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European PLAYSTATION 3 Compatibility Site Launches (OMG 75% DAY 1 BC)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Firmware Version 1.60 also delivers a more convenient process for downloading content to the PS3 from the PLAYSTATION Store. Up to 6 pieces of content from the PlayStation store can be queued up for download while the user enjoys other functions of the PS3 system, including playing games, browsing the web, using media functions including photo browsing, video and music playback. Progress of downloads can be easily tracked under a new Download Management menu under the XMB’s Network icon(2).

Hmmm...?

edit - I guess queued for download doesn't necessarily mean its downloading while you're playing a game.. I suppose we'll see.

Wollan

That BC number is amazing if true.

Edit: ThreeSpeech reporting it so confirmed.

Edit: Oh shit, download queue. Awesome, I was only expecting background downloading.

Mmmkay

gofreak said:
Hmmm...?

edit - I guess queued for download doesn't necessarily mean its downloading while you're playing a game.. I suppose we'll see.
Whoa!

P.s. I haven't been able to access the bc page for a week now, it just times out.

Lain

I'm trying to load the bc list site, but it's not loading ><
If the bc list contains all my games then I'll get out and buy a PS3 friday.

uh oh, good news. Time to wait 15 minutes for something bad to come.

good to see that its that high, people here were saying 25% or less, although i as well would like to see the list.

My question is this; what is their definition of compatible and how could they have possibly gone through and play-tested that many games in such a short amount of time?

bigfatgameguy said:
uh oh, good news. Time to wait 15 minutes for something bad to come.

good to see that its that high, people here were saying 25% or less, although i as well would like to see the list.
I think we have this week/month's bad sony news quota filled after the npd and DMC/AC6 debacles.

So look for mild weather for the rest of the week with some scattered showers on Friday.

WickedAngel said:
My question is this; what is their definition of compatible and how could they have possibly gone through and play-tested that many games in such a short amount of time?

Did you see the testing they did for the HW BC? They tested EVERYTHING and their "incompatabilities" were 1/4 second audio gaps in FMV. They detailed the tiniest of problems.

They do their testing right, IMO.

I think my friend working there said SCEE in Liverpool have been (and probably are still) testing compatility on a lot of games.

Is the EE etc still in the PAL PS3?

sonycowboy said:
Did you see the testing they did for the HW BC? They tested EVERYTHING and their "incompatabilities" were 1/4 second audio gaps in FMV. They detailed the tiniest of problems.

They do their testing right, IMO.

I know, but even then, I'd imagine testing for software compatibility would be infinitely more involved.

Microsoft has made a skeptic of me when it comes to the word "compatible".

M3Freak

Banned
75% is about 10% more than what I was predicting.

Anyway, my arguement when the news first hit that we didn't know what Sony meant by "limited", and assuming BC was going to be completely shit was wrong, is now proven right. The words used and the context in which they were said was extremely important in understanding what was being said.

Makes me wonder what the average age of GAFers is. Reading comprehension is really quite bad here.

75% is damn good, the list needs to contain FFXII and GOD of War 2 though.
:btw Has upscaling been confirmed for Emulation of PS2 games ?

Firmware Version 1.60 also delivers a more convenient process for downloading content to the PS3 from the PLAYSTATION Store. Up to 6 pieces of content from the PlayStation store can be queued up for download while the user enjoys other functions of the PS3 system, including playing games, browsing the web, using media functions including photo browsing, video and music playback. Progress of downloads can be easily tracked under a new Download Management menu under the XMB’s Network icon(2).

Awesome. Much better than predicted!:D

EE was taken out of the Euro console i believe and its all software driven.

As long as GoW2 and FFXII are on there i'm happy

CurlySaysX said:

:lol :lol :lol
Great minds and all that!!

Wollan

CurlySaysX said:

God of War 2 was confirmed by Phil.
No Sony source has mentioned anything about upscaling at launch I believe so don't expect it.

CurlySaysX said:
The Graphics Synthesizer™ was taken out, the Emotion Engine™ is still in there somewhere.

It's the other way around I believe. The Cell is simulating the Emotion Engine while a custom GS is there that's (obviously) directly linked to the Cell.

Come on guys, positive PS3 noooozz, keep it on the front page, hopefully they'll build on this and get 100% by the end of the year, for their loyal fans.

Ploid 3.0

Crap I want the new PS3. Wonder if games will look a bit better (I feel something looks better currently). GT3 seem to run with no slowdown but all software should make it so there's no slowdown at all or something right? Access to all that memory, cell and all.

methane47

Hmmmm... I think its time to go and find that first "Sony EU PS3 is doomed no BC" thread and laugh AGAIN at the people...

god knows i need a good laugh after last night's horror story...

M3Freak

Banned
Jak 2 and Jak 3 got a one, I think. I only saw Onimusha 3, and it got a one too.

I can't remember what games I have. I'll have to come back later and check it out.

Midas

Hehe, games like FFX doesn't work perfect.

Why are there like 10 MGS3 and all of them doesn't work perfect? That's weird.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DEVIL MAY CRY ***
DEVIL MAY CRY 2 *
DEVIL MAY CRY 3 ***
Haha, now that's funny :)

It seems like a lot of games that make an advanced usage of the PS3 hardware are either unsupported, or have issues. Like the Jak series.

Freki

methane47 said:
Hmmmm... I think its time to go and find that first "Sony EU PS3 is doomed no BC" thread and laugh AGAIN at the people...

god knows i need a good laugh after last night's horror story...

No MGS2 - MGS3 with heavy issues
No GT 4...

Lain

So FFXII works but with some evident problems? That isn't really nice.
Also FFX has problems.
And no Ratchet&Clank games?!

Wollan

Killzone has issues. :/

Both GOW games secured thankfully.

Edit: Pretty much all the SingStar games has issues. Intentional? :p

Steroyd

Blimblim said:
DEVIL MAY CRY ***
DEVIL MAY CRY 2 *
DEVIL MAY CRY 3 ***
Haha, now that's funny :)

Sounds about right. :lol :lol

WTF @ Disgeae 2 Hour of Darkness * :(

Yay DQVIII got ***
icon_winner.gif

Tailzo

I couldn't find Final fantasy VII for ps1 in the bc list. (on the norwegian list.) I wonder if it doesn't work on ps3 at all? Anyway, God of War 2 works. Final Fantasy XII doesn't work perfectly, DQVII, seems to be able to work perfectly.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Was Street Fighter 3 Third Strike released in Europe at all? I didn't see it on the list, although Alpha Anthology got ***.

Lain

Man, No Silnet Hill 3? No Jak 1? (with 2 and 3 having problems).
This isn't making me happy.

And also Okami has problem too.... bah.

Top Bottom