• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European PLAYSTATION 3 Compatibility Site Launches (OMG 75% DAY 1 BC)

kaching said:
Games that aren't listed, I wonder if that's more a case of them not being tested properly at this point or actually being confirmed as not working at all. (yes, I see the fine print)

All of the high profile ones missing will have been tested. Maybe some niche ones weren't

Steroyd

superfly said:
Pro Evo 6 - *

Tears will be shed

Damn straight Pro Evo is one of if not the only game i consistently play nearly everyday all year until the next iteration comes out.

7 months of pain ahead.

Tarazet

Mr. Spinnington said:
PS2 games I own that are not on this list:

-Bully
-Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked
-Skygunner
-SSX3
-SSX Tricky
-ZOE2

Unfortunately this is like half of my PS2 collection.

Samurai Champloo and Skygunner were never released in Europe. Also, in the PAL region, Bully is called Canis Canem Edit - which is on the list.

methane47

S. L. said:
FFT was never released in europe

GOOD FRICKIN GOD!!!!!!!!!

Wow now I truly understand how much PAL sucks...

NO FFT in Europe!?!?! wow that is the suprise of the century for me...

OMG.. wow.. just wow..

Lee N

Membre
What I want to know is how many of those 75% run without any problems, many games on that list appear to have problems in one form or another - whatever that means.

methane47 said:

OMG.. wow.. just wow..
NEWS:
FF1-6 were never released in their original systems
Chrono Trigger AND Chrono Cross were never released in Europe also.

Those were truly dark times...

Vashu

methane47 said:

OMG.. wow.. just wow..

You're not from here (here is Europe for me) are you? :D I have FFT, but I play it on my US PS2, which was IMPORTED! (screw you Sony!). But at least I'm happy I can play Suikoden V and God of War II correctly. I wonder about Rogue Galaxy though, but since that's one coming in May/June, there is no rush.

Oh, and for the record. They probably didn't test Suikoden IV yet, and Suikoden III is, ofcourse, a no show since that one wasn't published here either.

Steroyd said:
Damn straight Pro Evo is one of if not the only game i consistently play nearly everyday all year until the next iteration comes out.

7 months of pain ahead.

Might be issues with the customable kits, teams and player names, would be considered a big issue for Sony, but playable for most people. Who knows?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The Innocent X said:
All of the high profile ones missing will have been tested. Maybe some niche ones weren't
Point is, I think it would be nice to see that distinction added to this system.

sonarrat said:
Samurai Champloo and Skygunner were never released in Europe. Also, in the PAL region, Bully is called Canis Canem Edit - which is on the list.
Okay, cool. I shouldn't like to think I sounded as if this is the definitive list, since it will be updated a bit more, but I seem to have come off as thinking such.

Lee N

Membre
TomO said:
Barbie Horse Adventures *** :lol

History repeats itself..

20060109h.jpg

SpokkX

Steroyd said:
No Castlevania SOTN...

my only Ps1-game doesn´t work :/

luckily it is out on XB Live Arcade tomorrow :)

I also wonder what ** means. "some issues" = ???

Could be ok or could be disaster..

M3Freak

Banned
Wollan said:
This is the 1.6 patch results.

What I meant was how the 1.6 patch is going to affect my PS3's BC abilities.

Right now, I can play every single game in my PS1 and PS2 library. For the most part, games look just fine and play fine, thanks to an update a couple of releases ago.

I think Phil said they won't be turning off the hardware in the launch PS3s so BC in those units should be excellent. However, no one seems to know for sure. Hence, the hand wringing.

Vashu

:lol

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - **
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within - *
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones - *

Yep! It's the same!

methane47 said:

OMG.. wow.. just wow..
We also don't get half the junk 3 months to make titles like you do... saying that though we get stuck with a lot of phoenix games in any store thats willing to buy them for sale (the lower end stores)

gogogow

Can't believe Sony can't make their own triple A titles work > Jak, GT(4) series.....
They need to work on that ASAP!

Kittonwy

Banned
Vashu said:
:lol

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - **
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within - *
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones - *

Yep! It's the same!

Unfortunately no amount of patch is going to fix the game-breaking fatal bugs in POP: WW.

DCharlie

Banned
hold on - so the 75% includes badly emulated games ?

so if it loads, it's included?

i know things'll get better but sheesh - it's a bit of a kick in the balls knowing the early adopters elsewhere get full compatability at a lower price :/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DCharlie said:

i know things'll get better but sheesh - it's a bit of a kick in the balls knowing the early adopters elsewhere get full compatability at a lower price :/
Glass half empty? :p

We have no idea how severe the problems will be at this point. How does Sony define a problem? Their standards may be different. Based on the US/JP list, I'd say they have incredibly HIGH standards for BC as even the smallest of issues were noted. We'll see if that applies here.

spwolf

DCharlie said:

it is a lot smaller kick than before... And there are smaller issues on hardware emu PS3's for some games as well.

I think that all the one star game are playable. Look at the p1 list, a lot of game who are one star work perfectly on the psp emulator.
We must know what noticable issues means before going to bad conclusion :)
With the us bc, a pixel who shifted to the left is an issue.

Wollan

AltogetherAndrews said:
There is no better shooter than Black.

Going back to Killzone after Black it really shows how stale the enemies in Black are. It's much more dynamic in KZ. In Black they just take a pounding in the old Goldeneye style.

mr_nothin

Banned
DCharlie said:

Ok, so at 1st people want hardware compatibility instead of a software solution that was gimped like the 360's...they are given that and are happy for a while. Then they start wanting a software solution with 1080i + 720p with 100% compat with all the games they have...ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT PUSH THE PS2 to the limits (YEAAAAAA really likely guys). People thought the software compat was going to be like 40% at 1st and then they find out that it's 1200 and then it gets upped to 75% in a very very short amount of time. (a few weeks?) and then we complain about having software emulation?

What other system has as much support at the ps3 right now? :)

But really though, this is probably more than anyone expected and from the last compat. list, problems were like "skips during 1 FMV" or "has audio problems at startup where you see logos and stuff". Just wait to see what the problems were.

DCharlie

Banned
We have no idea how severe the problems will be at this point. How does Sony define a problem? Their standards may be different. Based on the US/JP list, I'd say they have incredibly HIGH standards for BC as even the smallest of issues were noted. We'll see if that applies here.

well, for ps3 jpn backwards compatibility they had a list that included icons being 1 pixel out of place etc but they some how failed to noticed that all the games were royally ****ed on hdtvs.... -so - how are the 1* games working though??? i think we need more feed back.

Going back to Killzone after Black it really shows how stale the enemies in Black are. It's much more dynamic in KZ. Black they just take a pounding in the old Goldeneye style.

seriously - you HAVE to be ****ing kidding me here....

Argyle

Wolves Evolve said:
Goddamnit. Final Fantasy VII not at all, VIII with issues... Amplitude doesn't work... Resident Evil 4 doesn't work properly... Rez doesn't work... Dynasty Warriors 5 doesn't work...

Hell, Amplitude doesn't work on any PS3 :(

(Try it on a US unit - there's a significant lag between button press and response, making the game nearly unplayable...Frequency is the same way)

Did Amplitude come out in Europe?

DCharlie

Banned
ESPECIALLY THE ONES THAT PUSH THE PS2 to the limits (YEAAAAAA really likely guys). People thought the software compat was going to be like 40% at 1st and then they find out that it's 1200 and then it gets upped to 75% in a very very short amount of time. (a few weeks?) and then we complain about having software emulation?

What other system has as much support at the ps3 right now?

seems like most games of ANY note are being reported as having some sort of issue.
75% sounds like it includes anything that ****ing LOADS as being compatible.

Regardless of what the shite situation the X360 is in, this sounds a little off (even if i do like the idea of games that work being at least enhanced (WAY better than elsewhere))

Wollan said:
Going back to Killzone after Black it really shows how stale the enemies in Black are. It's much more dynamic in KZ. In Black they just take a pounding in the old Goldeneye style.

Er, what? Enemies in Black take a lot of bullets, but at least there isn't a weird time delay barrier between my gun and the enemy. Killzone feels like a poorly put together shamble of shit and straw when compared to Black.

Wollan

DCharlie said:
seriously - you HAVE to be ****ing kidding me here....

Hell no. While the KZ ai has a tendency to glitch up from time to time it's still waaay more interesting than the 2D rail-shoot-on-sight ai of Black.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
well, for ps3 jpn backwards compatibility they had a list that included icons being 1 pixel out of place etc but they some how failed to noticed that all the games were royally ****ed on hdtvs.... -so - how are the 1* games working though??? i think we need more feed back.
Yes, but the games still ran flawlessly...they simply looked ugly (on ALL displays).

I don't understand that situation, to be honest, but it was completely different.

DCharlie

Banned
Hell no. While the KZ ai has a tendency to glitch up from time to time it's still waaay more interesting than the 2D rail-shoot-on-sight ai of Black.

sorry - we had VASTLY different experiences with these games.
KZ ai has a tendency to glitch up from time to time

huuuuh?
throw grenade at feet
"GRENADE!!"
*Stands and watches grenade go off*
KZ had some of the worst AI i've ever had this misfortune to shoot - Black was spoilt by the bullet resistant enemies in order to make the game longer, but man - the difference in AI to me seemed vast (in Blacks favour)
*shrug*

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
No Castlevania SOTN is kinda lame. Are there going to be regular updates for BC? and does this new BC update affect US and JPN PS3's as well (i.e. are they shutting off the EE and gimping our BC)?

TONX said:
No Castlevania SOTN is kinda lame. Are there going to be regular updates for BC? and does this new BC update affect US and JPN PS3's as well (i.e. are they shutting off the EE and gimping our BC)?

In bold, just in case:

Sony has stated that they will NOT be shutting off hardware emulation in EE-equipped PS3s.

For the other question, I would certainly expect regular updates. How regular...we'll find out.

Oni Jazar

How can they have PS1 issues? Doesn't the PSP emulator have excellent PSP support? Couldn't they just port that to the PS3?

DCharlie said:
sorry - we had VASTLY different experiences with these games.

I think Wollan's Killzone experience is pretty much based on what he so badly wanted Killzone to be, as opposed to what the game actually was. I doubt I'm in the minority when I say that I would take bullet absorbing enemies over blatantly glitchy time delays between firing my gun and the round hitting the target. I guess it could have been forgiven had the reactions to the rounds hitting been a bit less pathetic. AArrrrghhh, says the flipa dop cardboard Helghast clown as he dies.

DCharlie said:
well, for ps3 jpn backwards compatibility they had a list that included icons being 1 pixel out of place etc but they some how failed to noticed that all the games were royally ****ed on hdtvs.... -so - how are the 1* games working though??? i think we need more feed back...

If they failed to notice it, then how did the original BC problem wind up completely fixed in a matter of just 6-8 weeks? Magic?

I agree we need more feedback from Sony, and more testing from real users in the consumer space, but it also must be noted that some people here are going way, way out of their way not to give Sony any credit where credit is certainly due. A significant portion of the NeoGAF community was predicting BC in the range of 20-30% when it was first announced that the PS3 was going software-based.

Top Bottom