• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European PLAYSTATION 3 Compatibility Site Launches (OMG 75% DAY 1 BC)

Steroyd

I guess because Sony had to test about 10 of each game in Europe which is time consuming on it's own so i guess they had to stick to a status system, but i was kinda hoping they'd describe the issues TBH.

No Final Fantasy VII... i think I'm gonna be sick.

Wollan

The Innocent X said:
Why do JAP/US get a full description for each game and EU gets words that mean nothing "noticable issues". Europe gets shafted again.

I guess it's due to the nature of software emulation. Whenever they update it something else may break so I think they have this point system to keep it streamlined.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
gitaroo.jpg

OOOH GITAROO MAN

M3Freak

Banned
One thing everyone should keep in mind before taking a shit is that this is software emulation, after all. The BC list will improve as Sony releases updates.

However, they're not going to focus on BC as much as they have in the past. We're going to need our PS2s if we want to play ALL PS2 games perfectly.

This makes me wonder how the 1.6 firmware is going to affect my launch PS3.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I wonder how fast it takes them to add more and fix others. I mean it seems they have been able to ramp up the number pretty quickly. First it was 1000, then 1200, now almost 1800.

Then there is the upscaling rumor for some games this summer going around. This removal of chips and semi-software emulation could be a blessing in disguise.

gofreak said:
Hmmm...?

edit - I guess queued for download doesn't necessarily mean its downloading while you're playing a game.. I suppose we'll see.
Multiple download queues is pretty nice, that wasn't in the earlier 1.6 report. Hopefully thats true. But I doubt it will be downloading during the game. Only resumed when you exit the game. But still way better than what we have now.

Lain

Ryu1999 said:
Uh...you do know this list is only for Ps2 games right. The headline is misleading but if you check the graphic to the right, it says to check your ps2 product code

The list is for both PS2 and PS1 games as far as I've checked as you can chose to check games for each console... and no FFVII sucks just as much as FFIX with 2 stars, FFX with 1 and FFXII with 2 stars.

Wollan said:
I guess it's due to the nature of software emulation. Whenever they update it something else may break so I think they have this point system to keep it streamlined.

A consumer viewing this information has little idea about the state of BC for a particular game. They didn`t even give examples of what a 1* games issues are, what a 2* games issues are. Without anything to compare against, it doesn't mean anything!

methane47

I want to see sony's definition of "noticeble issues"

Because if the US/JP BC is anything to go by noticeble issues really aren't bad at all..

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
"Noticable issues" to FF10 & X-2, Same with Any Fifa after 2002, and no sign of F1 2005 or F1 2006, nice :/

Vashu

Omg, lol.. The Dutch version is translated badly... It states that with one block, there are some minor issues, while with two blocks they state that there are apparant issues. Reading comprehension ftl! :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How odd. There are several versions of MGS3 listed with most of them scoring *** while some of them score a *. I wonder why that is?

In addition, MGS2 isn't listed at all nor is ZOE2. Zoe 1 is listed, of course, but only with a *.

dark10x said:
How odd. There are several versions of MGS3 listed with most of them scoring *** while some of them score a *. I wonder why that is?

In addition, MGS2 isn't listed at all nor is ZOE2. Zoe 1 is listed, of course, but only with a *.

Its the same on 360. Budget releases often are less supported than original releases. Don`t know why

Hammer24

Banned
Vashu said:
Omg, lol.. The Dutch version is translated badly... It states that with one block, there are some minor issues, while with two blocks they state that there are apparant issues. Reading comprehension ftl! :lol

German version is just the same.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wollan said:
This is the 1.6 patch results.
But it's not clear how the software emu for PS1/PS2 applies to PS3 manufactured with EE+GS chip thus far. The press releases put out for the 1.6 FW in JP and NA have made no mention of the BC changing in any way (whereas the EU PR for this FW does).

Kinan

Vashu said:

Same mistake with german, spanish, russian, france, polish and I suspect all other translations.

Keio said:
And the same mistake with the Finnish too. Oops.

Deffo looks like something got lost in translation.

methane47

WarHawk ***

........ sadly Final Fantasy tactics isn't on the list... Although i'm about 90% sure it will play... since it plays on my ps2 right now... and that is all software emu right?

Didn't phil a while back say that it will be 98% BC with PSone games?

theBishop

Banned
This will still be spun negative. When the "software BC" story first broke, the story was "Oh, So Sony's going the Micorosoft route!" But on day one, they've already obliterated Microsoft's BC policy.

That being said, there are some notable games with "noticable issues". GTA San Andreas jumps out to me as a biggie. Hopefully, their "noticable issues" are similar to the insanely detailed notes from the US BC list. If a "Minor Issue" is like "on level 5, pixel (305,302) is blue when it should be green" then hopefully noticable is still very playable.

And don't expect any upscaling yet. The GS is still there in hardware, which is ultimately responsible for rendering the images. Eventually, Sony will probably get the GS in software, and then we might see some upscaling.

S. L.

methane47 said:
WarHawk ***

........ sadly Final Fantasy tactics isn't on the list... Although i'm about 90% sure it will play... since it plays on my ps2 right now... and that is all software emu right?

Didn't phil a while back say that it will be 98% BC with PSone games?
FFT was never released in europe

KurowaSan

dark10x said:

in fact, my MGS3 is that * one, and it's not platinium version, it's the limited edition one (steel case)

I thought PSone compatibility would remain pretty high?
wow just wow.. thats disappointing i guess, although i wont be playing any psone games on a ps3. But if i did...

SCES-00010 Wipeout ***
SCES-00327 Wipeout 2097 ***
SCES-02845 Wipeout 3 ***

:D

Anyway, i hope they keep improving their emulation and get a decent patch out around April/May and get FFXII at 3 stars.
GOD2 will be the first ps2 game i play on the PS3 whihc arrives sometime in april.

PS2 games I own that are not on this list:

-Bully
-Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked
-Skygunner
-SSX3
-SSX Tricky
-ZOE2

Unfortunately this is like half of my PS2 collection. Of what is left, these games would play with noticeable issues:

-Beyond Good & Evil
-FFX
-Kingdom Hearts
-Okami

Owning none of the BC games with minor issues and only having ICO play perfectly, I'm happier than ever to be an early PS3 adopter. I also noticed that SotN is missing from the PS1 list, which really hurts. The list is especially foreboding when I look at the PS2 games I will buy for extra cheap in the future or by new release, where the following will not play:

-Everybody's [Hot Shots] Golf 3
-Jack & Daxter
-Katamari Damacy
-Metal Gear Solid 2
-Odin Sphere [what.]
-Parappa
-Ratchet & Clank series
-Rez
-Rogue Galaxy

In short, hold on to your PAL PS2s... it's going to be a rough ride for niche gamers.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Note that a some versions of MGS3 are *, but all of the MGS3: Subsistence releases are ***, so it's all good as far as MGS3 goes. No MGS2, no ZOE2 and no SH3 though... those were some of the PS2s finest showpieces :(
Still it's cool that Ico, SotC, GoW and GoW2 work perfectly.

Wow, that's impressive.

sonycowboy said:
Did you see the testing they did for the HW BC? They tested EVERYTHING and their "incompatabilities" were 1/4 second audio gaps in FMV. They detailed the tiniest of problems.

They do their testing right, IMO.

I can't imagine how many people are on the BC team to identify all this shit for thousands of games. Talk about commitment.

edit: Looking again, they're missing or having compatibility issues with a lot of major titles... Surprised at that, maybe they'll fix it.

I've just checked each of my PS2 games on the list:

6 games with "No known issues to date"
2 games with "some minor issues"
3 games with "noticeable issues"
and 3 games aren't listed

Wollan

A comparison, the 1.50 famous list and how 1.60 affects it:

Game - 1.50 - 1.60

God of War - NA - ***
MGS 2: Sons of Liberty - NA - NA
MGS 3: Snake Eater - NA - */***
Shadow of the Colossus - NA - ***
Guitar Hero 2 - NA - NA
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones - NA - *
Okami - NA - *
GTA: Liberty City Stories - NA - ***
Eragon - Working - *
Final Fantasy X-2 - NA - *
Ratchet & Clank 3 - NA - NA
Lumines Plus - NA - NA

Goddamnit. Final Fantasy VII not at all, VIII with issues... Amplitude doesn't work... Resident Evil 4 doesn't work properly... Rez doesn't work... Dynasty Warriors 5 doesn't work...

I mean 75% is great.. but these are the games I know I will want to play in the future. So I guess my next Sony console purchase is a PStwo. Basically the companies that did interesting things with the PS2 hardware will now be punished by having their games made obsolete. Thanks for coming guys!

No Zone of the Enders.

theBishop said:
This will still be spun negative. When the "software BC" story first broke, the story was "Oh, So Sony's going the Micorosoft route!" But on day one, they've already obliterated Microsoft's BC policy.

That being said, there are some notable games with "noticable issues". GTA San Andreas jumps out to me as a biggie. Hopefully, their "noticable issues" are similar to the insanely detailed notes from the US BC list. If a "Minor Issue" is like "on level 5, pixel (305,302) is blue when it should be green" then hopefully noticable is still very playable.

And don't expect any upscaling yet. The GS is still there in hardware, which is ultimately responsible for rendering the images. Eventually, Sony will probably get the GS in software, and then we might see some upscaling.

This will definitely be seen as negative, even though this is insanely impressive for software emulation. They could have 95% compatability, and if the 5% included FF games, they would get heaps of shit for it. This is good to start, but I know I won't be getting rid of my PS2 now.

Steroyd

No Castlevania SOTN...

NO CASTLEVANIA SOTN!!!!
cussing.gif

And WTF is this!?!

Grandia (Disc 2) ***

Where the hell is disc 1? :lol
BangHead.gif
Cry.gif

Vashu

Steroyd said:
No Castlevania SOTN...

NO CASTLEVANIA SOTN!!!!
cussing.gif

And WTF is this!?!

Grandia (Disc 2) ***

Where the hell is disc 1? :lol
BangHead.gif
Cry.gif

Good thing I'm actually ON disc 2 right now... :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Games that aren't listed, I wonder if that's more a case of them not being tested properly at this point or actually being confirmed as not working at all. (yes, I see the fine print)

Top Bottom