• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Muramasa: The Demon Blade Thread of Japanese-tastic 2D Tentacle Action!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I cheesed it. I was using a secret art during like, 80% of the battle. Then again, if you can beat Total Pandemonium without resorting to secret art spam, then you'd be the king of muramasa.

Trying it as Kisuke, probably easier with Mumei Tamanoo (Gale II). it's amazing what difference one sword makes

Haly

Just beat Total Pandemonium with Kisuke. Surprisingly easy on the second try.

I started the fight at level 54. I ended up at level 74. Those level ups were a life saver.

So I just got this game and I'm only 3 hours into Momohime's story but so far I love it. The combat is fast and fun and really makes you feel like a badass flying from one side of the screen to the other leaving a pile of bodies behind you. One of the best Wii games I've played this year.

Hellsing321 said:
So I just got this game and I'm only 3 hours into Momohime's story but so far I love it. The combat is fast and fun and really makes you feel like a badass flying from one side of the screen to the other leaving a pile of bodies behind you. One of the best Wii games I've played this year.

same, but im playing as the dude.

love the art, the japanese voice audio, the presentation, and the random little bits of character spread throughout the game, but the combat would be awesome if........... there was a jump button. there. i said it. not a fan of "fighter controls" where up = jump, but otherwise it's better than i expected. odin sphere was fun, but this is some wicked fun.

(playing this with a gamecube controller btw)

Haly

big_z said:
where is the second last sword located? it's the bottom blue square next to the very last sword... i cant find the location.
It's in one of Momohime's extras IIRC.

EDIT: Finally done with everything. Well, nearly everything, there are still a few items I haven't bothered to obtain.

Immensely fun game, Oboro Muramasa has by far the coolest Secret Art, too bad it's pretty weak. The endings are :lol :lol :lol. Clocked in at a nice 40 hours, and I still haven't touched Shigurui mode. Going to save it for the eventual "GAF Plays" thread.

Giolon

Halycon said:
It's in one of Momohime's extras IIRC.

EDIT: Finally done with everything. Well, nearly everything, there are still a few items I haven't bothered to obtain.

Immensely fun game, Oboro Muramasa has by far the coolest Secret Art, too bad it's pretty weak. The endings are :lol :lol :lol. Clocked in at a nice 40 hours, and I still haven't touched Shigurui mode. Going to save it for the eventual "GAF Plays" thread.

Which endings do you like best for each of the characters? Their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? Are any of them the "canonical" ending? I've got some time yet to play before I can get all of them done.

Hero

Okay, I didn't like Odin Sphere since the combat sucked and there was too much planting shit in the ground.

Is the action/combat better in Muramasa?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
bought the game :D but can't play until later this week :(

anyway .

I don't want my 2nd run to be boring , and people here all talk about Momohime sama ( better story+fights) and nothing about the emo kid .

so should I star with Kisuke because Momohime is way better and save the best for last ?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hero said:

Yes. It's fast, fluid, and fun as all hell.

oracrest

Hero said:
Okay, I didn't like Odin Sphere since the combat sucked and there was too much planting shit in the ground.

great fighting, combo, character juggling, defensive maneuvering.

A lot of things are possible, and the number of buttons you are managing is minimal too, so your reaction speed isn't muddied.

gokieks

Finished it with Momohime during the weekend, then finished Kisuke last night. Played Kisuke on Shura for most of it, and man, the last boss is brutal. Took me like 10 tries and used up nearly all my healing items,
only to discover there's a phase 2
. Eventually switched it back to Muso, and it ended up being a complete piece of cake due to the autoblocking.

Overall I enjoyed the game. But if it wasn't for the amazing visual style and good music (I absolutely love the "forest-ish" track - BGM_00011), it wouldn't have been a must-have for me. And I can't help but think that if it retained the visuals, music, and combat system, but had Metroidvania-esque level design, exploration, and upgrading, what an amazing game it would've been. As it is, I'd say it's a good and enjoyable game, but not a great one. But I've already put 25+ hours into it, and I'll probably go ahead and spend some more going through all the newly unlocked areas and getting the other endings.

Volcynika

Mr. Spinnington said:
amazon offered you that too? what is it exactly? the gamestop poster or something else

No idea. I had to go to a link and enter in my redemption code and address/name, and it'll be mailed to me in 4-6 weeks. LIMITED POSTER ZOMG. I have no clue, really.

Pangya

So it seems that the amazon preorder bonus is a code to use at the Muramasa site to redeem the poster in the mail... but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. The code also seems to be generic and it seems like anyone could use it to redeem the poster.

Pangya said:
So it seems that the amazon preorder bonus is a code to use at the Muramasa site to redeem the poster in the mail... but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. The code also seems to be generic and it seems like anyone could use it to redeem the poster.

Sorry if this has been answered but do we even know what this poster looks like yet?

Loam

So gaf I'm told there are certain blades that can only be attained by playing on the harder difficulty. True? And if so does anyone know what/where they are and how to obtain them?

Pangya

Space A Cobra said:
Sorry if this has been answered but do we even know what this poster looks like yet?

I don't think anyone knows yet, but amazon had a thumbnail of what the poster might be:

2vl4h0l.jpg

Giolon

Wren said:
So gaf I'm told there are certain blades that can only be attained by playing on the harder difficulty. True? And if so does anyone know what/where they are and how to obtain them?

AFAIK, this is not true. There is no different reward in any difficulty, and the IGN review misstated that. I do know that some swords must be obtained by defeating the various white barrier challenge rooms.

oracrest

Finally took down the Chimera. He was a challenge!

The game is really good!

And they really put a lot of effort into all the art for the cooking/restaurant parts.

Noogy

Pangya said:
I don't think anyone knows yet, but amazon had a thumbnail of what the poster might be:

2vl4h0l.jpg
That looks like the first page artwork that was featured in Play, which also happens to be my favorite single piece of character art I've seen so far. I already have the wall scroll, but I'd love to have a poster of that image.

I wish it had made the cover of Play. Can't stand that cover.

TunaLover

Hi, everyone, I just got my copy, but the game prompt me update via software, it's safe make the update? I'm on 4.0 with Homebrew Channel and all that jazz.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just beat the Blue Monk in Muso mode. It seems pretty easy so far, maybe I should try the harder mode. Problem is that I'm worried it'll get too hard.

Well if you find it too hard you can just switch the difficulty back to Muso and continue. The game doesn't penalize you for it.

Anyone trying Shigurui mode? I went through the game getting all the endings for both characters and decided to give it a try just for kicks. I figured I'd end up quitting out of frustration a couple of bosses in, but I've been plowing through and am at the end of the game now (with Kisuke). It seems a lot easier than I was expecting it to be. Not that I haven't had trouble with some bosses, but I feel like I'm playing on Muso mode with 1 HP. (I haven't even touched Muso mode, so I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it definitely feels more forgiving than Shura.)

Pretty fun. Don't know if I'll bother with Momohime as well on Shigurui. Gotta start playing Mario and Luigi 3 sometime!

Phantom Flapjack said:
Anyone trying Shigurui mode? It seems a lot easier than I was expecting it to be. Not that I haven't had trouble with some bosses, but I feel like I'm playing on Muso mode with 1 HP.

Very perceptive--Shigurui is totally based on Muso mode, in that it automatically blocks for you as long as you're attacking. Otherwise it would be absolutely impossible!

ultim8p00

Banned
Okay has anyone been able to beat snowy mountain boss on Shura mode? It's the giant boar demon. His spinning sonic booms break your sword with one hit. And there's fucking three of them. He's really pissing me off and I don't want to play on easy mode.

I just finished my first playthrough with Momohime on Muso difficulty in about 11 hours, and this was one of the most amazing games I've ever played. I finished Uncharted yesterday, and didn't expect that I'd be playing the best both the PS3, and the Wii could offer so close to each other. Running through wheatfields, snowy hilltops, barren legdes, beautiful castles full of depth, the bowels of hell itself, and even challenging the heavens. This game takes you everywhere you could possibly imagine, and then some.

One SINGLE fight has more colors in it than any cookie cutter FPS, and the variety of the enemies kept me on my toes. The forging mechanics allow you to unlock blades every 15 minutes, and every sword has a pretty cool special not to mention increased power. The qualms with the fighting mechanics are unfounded seeing as you have dozens of blades that have different specials that change the situation up differently every time. This game is seriously nearly perfect.

I only noticed that your character looks a bit transparent when fighting the giant oni in a corner, and it hardly took away from the game. I only managed to get my hands on 37 swords with Momohime, and I had a blast with every one of them. The story itself was absolutely amazing, but the ending was like a nosedive from the climax which left alot to be desired
I want to join up with Jinkuro again to spit in the face of GODS

The good news is the ending credits strongly hint at a possible sequel. They might be tied to Kisuke's story, but I guess I'll report on that after a second playthrough.

ultim8p00 said:
Okay has anyone been able to beat snowy mountain boss on Shura mode? It's the giant boar demon. His spinning sonic booms break your sword with one hit. And there's fucking three of them. He's really pissing me off and I don't want to play on easy mode.

You can try two things to counter this. Load up on those items that restore all of your spirit so that you can have unlimited specials throughout the bossfight. You can also just whip out a switching attack since that'll wipe out anything a boss throws at you. Those are the only two options that should work on Shura mode besides amazing blade skillz.

Edit:
The Muramasa ads are gone...
:(

Noogy

Giolon said:
Aww, come on. A few tentacles never hurt anybody!

It's not that, I just don't care how Momohime looks. She's an incredibly attractive character design and the cover doesn't do her justice. Body or face.

Nice brushwork and color design though.

TunaLover

TunaLover said:
Hi, everyone, I just got my copy, but the game prompt me update via software, it's safe make the update? I'm on 4.0 with Homebrew Channel and all that jazz.

Yes, I did, I´m 4.1 right now =P
Heartbreaking, this game is. Still very early in the game, the battle with the Samurai guy was absolutely orgasmic.

EDIT: It´s just me? I having hard time understanding the dialog, I´m not english native speaker, this game use some kind of complex writing or something?

ZAK

Just got this. Played a little Shura with Kisuke. Am I supposed to play the characters in some order or at the same time?

Giolon

ZAK said:
Just got this. Played a little Shura with Kisuke. Am I supposed to play the characters in some order or at the same time?

You can play them in either order. Switching back and forth doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but you certainly can. The stories are hard enough to make sense of as it is.

IMO, Kisuke's story is a little harder due to the prevalence of enemies with bombs from the get go and generally more difficult boss fights.

Just completed Momohime's story on the easy difficulty and started playing Kisuke's on the harder mode. I had to use quite a few healing items just to get through the first boss, I'm probably going to have to bring the difficulty back down to complete his story.

I was impressed overall with Momohime's story since I wasn't expecting much at all, although the ending seemed very rushed and just seemed like exposition explaining what was happening, maybe that changes with the harder difficulties?

Cowie

JacksUsername said:
Just completed Momohime's story on the easy difficulty and started playing Kisuke's on the harder mode. I had to use quite a few healing items just to get through the first boss, I'm probably going to have to bring the difficulty back down to complete his story.

I was impressed overall with Momohime's story since I wasn't expecting much at all, although the ending seemed very rushed and just seemed like exposition explaining what was happening, maybe that changes with the harder difficulties?

Well, there are multiple endings for each character, and I guess the jury is out on which one should be canon since they seem pretty exclusive, even between characters. So if you didn't like that ending, pick a new one.

Victrix

*beard*
There were some comments by some native speakers I read somewhere that the translation, while not bad, is severely stripped down. The original japanese is supposedly done in 'old style' japanese, and more flavorful throughout.

Dunno how true that is, but it would explain the generally bare feel to the dialogue. It isn't bad, it's just spartan.

But really, none of that has much to do with murdering hordes of ninjas over beautiful backgrounds with great music :p

This isn't a great game, but it is a good game with really great art and music.

If vanillaware could pack in some high grade design, they'd easily be one of my favorite studios.

That said, this game does what it sets out to accomplish very well, and I'd be amazed with anyone who didn't have fun with it, or enjoy the scenery.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I finished momohime's story in under 12 hours. Really great game, but never really that hard (i was playing on the harder difficult, which name i now forget).

I always seemed overleveled.

Whoever, now with Kisuke.. Damn, i'm always underleveled! Getting at a challenge that i was supposed to be level 23 while i'm on level 17. Beating bosses and not being able to use their weapons, because i'm 1-2 levels behind.

Guess i just need more grinding? :D

Game is still impressing me after 1 hour Kisuke gameplay - guess i'm in hooked for another 8-12 hours.. :D

Haunted

I thought I've read somewhere that there are swords you can only forge when you've played with both characters to a certain point. So playing them concurrently/alternately seems logical.

Threi said:
this game is so awesome (so far).
*rubs eyes*

hey everyone, threi's back!

Giolon

Haunted said:
I thought I've read somewhere that there are swords you can only forge when you've played with both characters to a certain point. So playing them concurrently/alternately seems logical.

That point is beating the game. There are some swords that require swords from both character's trees, and those trees are only available to each other after beating the game with both characters.

ivysaur12

Banned
Any idea how well this might be selling? I really think it's been getting a lot of good buzz and I want Ignition to have a winner.

Top Bottom