• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCRAM KITTY (and his buddy on rails) finally hitting the eShop next week!

maxcriden

First online review I've found:

Nintendo Life - 7/10

While it's probably not a top tier download title, Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails is still an entertaining and fun game, with big, challenging levels that all have plenty to do. Being able to go to pretty much any level you want, as well as not necessarily having to save all cats in one go are nice positives, but because of several unfair situations, the tease of not being able to constantly use your nice, big TV screen, and one instance where we got stuck, we would warn prospective buyers to be slightly cautious. At least two of those issues can be easily fixed with potential updates, however, which we'd hope are in the works. It's certainly worth consideration due to its positives, but doesn't quite sink its claws into the player.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu-eshop/scram_kitty_and_his_buddy_on_rails

maxcriden

Holy CRAP. Forgive the double post, but I'm delighted to see our very own GAFer (I believe) such a fan of the game:

God is a Geek - 9/10

Kitties have claws, and kitties scratch. Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails certainly does this through its difficulty and unique controls. Yet cats also have a unique trait: for all their peculiar habits, their demanding nature and their tendency to puke in the hallway overnight, they’re inescapably lovable because of what they are. Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails, with its strange design and riveting gameplay, echoes this side of the feline personality, too. Captivating stuff.

http://www.godisageek.com/2014/05/scram-kitty-and-his-buddy-on-rails-review/

maxcriden

Official Nintendo Magazine

4.5/5

link

Ultimately, though, you've been duped. While you've been burned, blown up, asphyxiated and stabbed, you've fallen in love. You'll take another death just to pull off a perfect Fire Jump, or destroy that room of laser tanks, or collect that last coin; you'll struggle through collecting every pick-up because you know that final level will hold something wonderful (it does). Just like a real cat, Scram Kitty scratches you because it loves you and you'll come to love it as much for those scratches as the strokes.

Ah man, that sounds so good. Thanks for the link. Hoping to find some more reviews soon!

ETA: for some reason this version of their review is loading better for me, although it is on two pages: http://www.officialnintendomagazine...m-kitty-and-his-buddy-on-rails-review-review/

maxcriden

That looks pretty cool. Are there typically demos on the eshop?

Typically not, no. I was just lamenting this same issue last night.

Eurogamer's summary:

Scram Kitty and His Buddy On Rails is a wonderfully idiosyncratic creation that, despite its smorgasbord of influences, feels like nothing else. It's also a game that ignores current design fashions: there is no overarching list of achievements, there are no sideshow systems or alternative stages to upset its rhythms, no adornments to distract from the core task. For some, the lack of variety combined with the stiff challenge will be too much. (Even for competent players, this is a game that requires such a degree of concentration that it's best played in short bursts.) For others, the steepness of the initial learning curve will throw them from the rails before they get anywhere. But for those who master its controls, there is glorious opportunity for showboating play; it's a game built with admirable craft and singular focus, and it richly rewards your investment.

PorllM

Banned
Won't be downloading this for a while as I've just got a PS4 and I'm broke, but will definitely pick it up ASAP.

As a side note I live 10 minutes away from Dakko Dakko so I can deliver cake/bomb on behalf of Gaf depending on how good it is, so let me know.

maxcriden

Won't be downloading this for a while as I've just got a PS4 and I'm broke, but will definitely pick it up ASAP.

As a side note I live 10 minutes away from Dakko Dakko so I can deliver cake/bomb on behalf of Gaf depending on how good it is, so let me know.

Cake would be good. Will you really do this? I'll probably make an OT so if you do this and take a pic I'd put it in there.

maxcriden

From the Nintendo Downloads thread:

Scram Kitty and His Buddy On Rails got a rather good Edge review, 8. (For reference, Edge gave Child of Light 5).

http://www.edge-online.com/review/scram-kitty-and-his-buddy-on-rails-review/

Repeat visits allow you to greater appreciate the quality and variety of the stage design – and to admire Gary Lucken’s terrific sprite art. You’ll tackle a thoughtful, expansive, puzzle-led stage at a measured pace, before finding yourself in a cramped, chaotic, enemy-filled environment that plays more like a bullet-hell shooter. At different times you’ll be reminded of Pac-Man, Bionic Commando and Bangai-O, while negotiating spinning enemies through narrow passages is surely a nod to Nintendo curio Kuru Kuru Kururin. Yet as game-literate as Scram Kitty is, it has a rhythm and flow that’s quite unlike anything else. Come to terms with its idiosyncrasies and you’ll find a unique and wonderfully characterful action game; it’s well worth suffering those early scratches for the moments where it really begins to purr.

JulianImp

I was looking forward to it, and will probably pick it up soon now that I know it'll be released soon.

Like Servbot says, the game we're making has some similarities with it, so I might be able to learn a thing or two from the way Scram Kitty handles things.

jesusraz

Folks, there's also my 9/10 review for Cubed3 that went up yesterday when the embargo lifted:

http://www.cubed3.com/review/1445/1/scram-kitty-and-his-buddy-on-rails-nintendo-wii-u-eshop.html

Treasure-like in its level of sheer ingenuity, Dakko Dakko's Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails is the sort of addictive shooter that is a must-own for Wii U owners and belies its initially brief appearance in the length stakes. Not exactly short to start with - thanks to the difficulty stakes - it is the draw of coming back to better times in the Challenge mode or uncovering every hidden kitty on each stage that brings considerable added value to what is already a bargain at just £8.99 / €9.99.

maxcriden

Folks, there's also my 9/10 review for Cubed3 that went up yesterday when the embargo lifted:

http://www.cubed3.com/review/1445/1/scram-kitty-and-his-buddy-on-rails-nintendo-wii-u-eshop.html

Great review, thank you!

OT should be up soon. :)

ETA: one more review, from NWR this time:

Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails is quite an engaging game, but you need to learn it to fully understand it. Not everyone will be willing to do that as you need a steady hand to complete the many challenges it offers. Once the gameplay clicks though, you can bask in the brilliant level designs and lovely presentation. Scram Kitty is an amazing, stressful rollercoaster that comes together incredibly well. 8/10

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/37426/scram-kitty-and-his-buddy-on-rails-review

Top Bottom